ST John's wort

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I suffer from Seasonial affective Disorder up here in New England..

I just started taking ST John's Wort 2000mg a day.
I have never taken this before and was just wondering how it worked for some of you or other supplements you have taken for minor depression...Thanks

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
It has worked for me in the past(I have rather severe SAD) though it seemed to lose effectiveness after a few months. It also gives me terrible insomnia.

Try adding some folic acid and selenium into your supp program. Seems to help me. Use ALCAR if you are not already doing so..I live on it.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It has worked for me in the past(I have rather severe SAD) though it seemed to lose effectiveness after a few months. It also gives me terrible insomnia.

Try adding some folic acid and selenium into your supp program. Seems to help me. Use ALCAR if you are not already doing so..I live on it.

Thanks Bio,good info!

What brand of st johns wort did you use and at what dose did you find effective..

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I used a liquid extract from local herbalist so I'm not sure of the dose..probably pretty high as it is a quality extract. Overall, I don't like St John's Wort and only use it to bust out of a deep slump.

I've had better luck with a combo of ALCAR, Vinpocetine, Huperizine A and Tyrosine. I may replace Vin/hup with celery seed extract and add some folic acid and selenium as I like what I've been reading about them. I try to get accupuncture every other week or so and that also seems to help..very, very relaxing and seems to help my focus in life as well as the gym.

Sledge Test seems to help a lot as well. lol

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Not the healthiest of choices, but hitting the tanning bed help keeps me sane during Winter.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tanning rulz...I felt so good all summer basking in the sun..Now pasty white Blah! but I need to watch out for the cancer thing....Im going to try some of those you suggested Bio and see what works,but a sundrenched week in aruba with alot of Dutch
beauties around would do wonders for me...:)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Might wanna hit up some SAME, it's great for your mood, liver, and joints but it's a little pricey

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Couple of ideas here.....

1) Do something for someone else, Ie, coach for a winter basketball league, volunteer for a food bank...give something back ( the do gooder in me) maybe you will see that your life is really good after all, and you may become happier.....

2) Surrond your self with friends/family/ loved ones......( I am sure you already are)

3) take a trip......( all for that one)

4) St johns wart combined with another suppliment.....( i cant remember it, but i just heard about it, suppossed to be very good, will find out for you )

The rest I am going to PM you......

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
5) Admire Wranglergirl's lovely avatar.

6) Listen to reggae.

7) More cardio.

Gumber- Well, there are different kinds of depression so it's not too crazy to assume that St John's wort will work on all of them. It may have been my dosing was too high or not high enough, though I have tried it numerous times with mixed results. Most studies indicate that it takes several weeks to even kick in so who knows. I'm not baggin on it, just saying it didn't treat me right.

The insomnia was very real and occurred nearly every time I took SJW. My own idiosyncracy perhaps.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Great stuff guys and gals..love that avatar Wrangle,Ya I started on the St Johns wort and just started Rhodilia.I dont think it's anything major I worked out last night and felt real good.I got a nice pump and all seemed right with the world.I realized that for the past couple of months I stopped my post workout drink(powerade/Malto/Whey) so right after training I had one and I felt good after.I know this has not been the probem with all the joint pain and trauma but who knows..Just alot going on right now my wife in expecting in 4-6 weeks and trying to get the house ready new addition/furnace/rugs ect,and finances are always an issue.I am so excited about the baby at the same time it has caused me tremendous anxiety.This may shed a little light as to what is going on... :frustrate

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Hey Madman, the Sox won the Series, and the Pats are still lookin great despite their injuries. Everything is right with the world! :D

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey Madman, the Sox won the Series, and the Pats are still lookin great despite their injuries. Everything is right with the world! :D

HeY NP, Thanks for straighting me out Bro..Everytime I look at my 2004 word series pennent I get all warm and fuzzy :thumbsup:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Seriously bro, you're lucky. You could be rooting for the 1-8 49ers :sad:

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
One day at a time madman, and one issue at a time....:)

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again for the compliment on my avatar.....!!!! :)

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
iam tellin ya gotu kola before bed is awesome!!! i also take the rhodiola rosea in the morning and at luch. i just started this about 2 weeks ago and its great.