Melatonin & Depression

  1. Melatonin & Depression


    Have any of you ever had a slight case of depression while on Melatonin.


  2. I have taken 9mg melatonin (3x the recommended dose) every night for years, never had a problem of any kind.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    I have taken 9mg melatonin (3x the recommended dose) every night for years, never had a problem of any kind.

    I have been taking 6mg a day,just wondering im a little in the dumps but I do have seasonal affective disorder.I get depressed in the winter and we just had a half of foot of snow
    Yuk....
    •   
       


  4. been taking 6mgs ed about an hour before bedtime for a while now. no issues.

  5. I take it once in a while for sleep, waking up and getting going the next day is hard for me, and I am in a "depressed" mood for the morning.

  6. That's why my city, Atlanta, keeps growing by 3% a year, a great economy and 300 days a year of sunshine.

    Melatonin is somewhat implicated in depression when taken high dose and/or long term, but being over 40 with naturally low levels, it's unlikely that Melatonin is the cause of the your blues. Buy some 100 watt full spectrum lights for your home, artificial sunshine to keep your sunny side up through a New England winter and drink caffeine, the safest longterm stimulant.

  7. i experience this with melatonin and zma. check out my gotu kola thread, it helps me sleep and i feel freaking awesome the next day.

  8. Melatonin even at low, 3mg doses can put me in the dumps the next day. I have seasonally affected disorder bigtime.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Melatonin even at low, 3mg doses can put me in the dumps the next day. I have seasonally affected disorder bigtime.


    Dam I had no idea this was possible,but I am going to go off it for a while and seehow I feel.I also started taking 2000mg of st john's wort just to see if that will help..Thanks all for the input and thanks Bio for confiming my suspicion...

  10. I'm fairly certain it was the cause but you know how that goes..could be just coincidence.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    Dam I had no idea this was possible,but I am going to go off it for a while and seehow I feel.I also started taking 2000mg of st john's wort just to see if that will help..Thanks all for the input and thanks Bio for confiming my suspicion...

    Hey thanks for bringing this up, I thought I was the only one. I take melatonin sometimes and unisom also.
    I'm going to stop.
    My Little Site about Hair Loss & Anabolics-
    hair loss from steroids dot com

  12. Try 100mg DHEA first thing in the morning, it turns off the Mel depression, and only use 3mg Mel at night!
  13. fulforb
    fulforb's Avatar

    Melatonin dosage even works as low as 1mg a night before bed. I don't think I ever have gone above 3mg a night. I have been using it off and on for about 10 years. I don't know about it causing depression or not, that a whole other issue I have going on. I don't know if it's like Ambien, you have to be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours uninterupted sleep or you can wake up groggy also.

  14. Melatonin influences serotonergic activity, and it's just a bad time of year to be doing that for some people.

  15. this time of year sucks!!! i never really noticed it until this year though.

  16. For those who have issues with depression in the winter months... start tanning.

    My g/f has this and with a medical condition it makes her more dramatic but I got her tanning 3 times a week during the winter a few years ago andit really, really helps her to the point it's almost non-existant.

    Hope this helps.

    Aaron

  17. One can also get a UV light box to trick the brain into thinking the days are longer than they really are. I've heard they are expensive but worth it.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    One can also get a UV light box to trick the brain into thinking the days are longer than they really are. I've heard they are expensive but worth it.
    Yes, my g/f has one of these as well that she used on her desk at work. Cost: $300 CDN.

    A

  19. couldn't you just buy a big, cheap UV bug zapper from Wal-mart and look directly at it for a long time during the day? (J/J)

    I've never tried it, but I believe the box you guys are using, or tanning therapy may be worth it for some, it's all related to disrupted pineal and hypo function, so if you can fix it and avoid taking anti-dep, then why not?

  20. One can buy 60,75 and 100 watt full spectrum light bulbs for a standard lamp for about $7. They have the missing elements of the light spectrum that standard incadescent and flourecent bulbs lack.

  21. I've been sticking my face in the xerox scanner every morning and making roughly 100 copies. Seems to work well.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I've been sticking my face in the xerox scanner every morning and making roughly 100 copies. Seems to work well.
    I like to go into work early, pull my pants down and make butt copies. Then scan them out to the whole company using my buddies email password!

    But I like rogues idea too, I can use my spectrum-lite to get happy with since I can't be growin' green sticky no more. (ps-thats a joke rogue)

  23. Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    I like to go into work early, pull my pants down and make butt copies. Then scan them out to the whole company using my buddies email password!

    But I like rogues idea too, I can use my spectrum-lite to get happy with since I can't be growin' green sticky no more. (ps-thats a joke rogue)

    Hahaha, I once sent a few Xmas cards out of Xerox hairy sack/crack shots, along with the "Wish you were Here" greeting. Next time I'm in Vegas, D, watch your mail for a personal postcard.

    Seriously, full spectrum light bulbs are effective as personal anti- SAD Grow Lights; it sucks to live in the cold gray days of the Great White North.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    Hahaha, I once sent a few Xmas cards out of Xerox hairy sack/crack shots, along with the "Wish you were Here" greeting. Next time I'm in Vegas, D, watch your mail for a personal postcard.

    Seriously, full spectrum light bulbs are effective as personal anti- SAD Grow Lights; it sucks to live in the cold gray days of the Great White North.
    Yeah, I believe it about the missing wavelengths. I might try it this year too, beats popping a handful of pax or celexa and getting even more depressed when I can't even get my jollies off after a few weeks. That sux!

    I'll have to put my zone alarm at high alert to watch for that post card!

  25. Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I've been sticking my face in the xerox scanner every morning and making roughly 100 copies. Seems to work well.

    This is why I love this place I read this and spit coffee all over the screen

  26. Have you tried 5-htp Madman?

  27. Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer
    Have you tried 5-htp Madman?

    I tried that and didnt really notice much.I probably didn't take enoug..

  28. Newest dosing recommendations for melatonin are SUB-milligram. Something like .25 mg is supposedly ideal.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    Newest dosing recommendations for melatonin are SUB-milligram. Something like .25 mg is supposedly ideal.
    WOW.

  30. There's definitely some truth to it. I got some .5 mg tabs and they work better for me than the 3 mgs I had used before. I wake up way less groggy..most of the time and haven't noticed much in the way of depression.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anti-depressants and weight gain
    By custom in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
  2. Melatonin Causing Depression?
    By amicold in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
  3. Can a person take amp while on a anti depressant?
    By goyard in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 08:38 PM
  4. Melatonin: GH Booster?
    By Sheesh in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 03:28 PM
  5. Testosterone For Depression?
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Log in
Log in