Recovering from Surgery

domore

Awards
Alright fellas (and any gals that may be lurking),

I will be put under the knife in a week or so. Besides adequate rest, following my rehab program, ice, and the norm, are there any supplements that can help the healing process?

Obviously there isn't a magical pill. However, I would be happy with even the slightest help.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Alright fellas (and any gals that may be lurking),

I will be put under the knife in a week or so. Besides adequate rest, following my rehab program, ice, and the norm, are there any supplements that can help the healing process?

Obviously there isn't a magical pill. However, I would be happy with even the slightest help.
What kind of surgery are you having?

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Without going into too many details, ankle surgery. Ligaments and bones.
I believe there is some evidence showing cissus to be helpful in recovery time from things like this. But it's really just going to come down to diet, rehab, and rest.

domore

Awards
I believe there is some evidence showing cissus to be helpful in recovery time from things like this. But it's really just going to come down to diet, rehab, and rest.
Yeah, I will be doing everything possible (diet, rehab, and rest) to get asap. Good deal, already have some cissus on hand.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
3g SNS Cissus XT daily, 2 weeks post-op and beyond. Ergogenix Erbogolic is also a nice addition if you want to spare muscle while not lifting.

Synthesis

Synthesis

Awards
considering its MOA + anecdotal evidence I think Ursollic Acid, specifically UR-Spray would significantly aid recovery from surgery

domore

Awards
3g SNS Cissus XT daily, 2 weeks post-op and beyond. Ergogenix Erbogolic is also a nice addition if you want to spare muscle while not lifting.
I still have some Ergobolic after following your log. I'll employ both of those and work towards the best!

domore

Awards
considering its MOA + anecdotal evidence I think Ursollic Acid, specifically UR-Spray would significantly aid recovery from surgery
Really? Can you elaborate a bit, please? Besides looking for quick healing, I'm interested in the science behind everything.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Would you start the Ergobolic two weeks out as well?

domore

Awards
I know GH supplements are bunk in healthy people, but could I benefit from some type of GH supp?

Synthesis

Synthesis

Awards
Really? Can you elaborate a bit, please? Besides looking for quick healing, I'm interested in the science behind everything.

My thoughts on Ursolic Acid are just my interpretation of information, studies and feedback that I’ve come across on Ursolic Acid, I only mention Ur Spray because its the most bioavailable form of ursolic acid. These of the mechanisms through which I feel Ursolic acid could contribute to a faster rate of recovery:

By Increasing IGF-1

Usolic Acid has been shown to have the ability to raise IGF-1 levels; which in turn could contribute to a faster rate of healing by promoting growth/regeneration in your whole body including the ares that would be affected by your surgery . As IGF-1 does not only promote growth of muscles it contributes to the growth of tendons, nerves bones etc

I’ve been following the feedback from people who have used Ur Spray and people have talked about long standing injuries healing up, faster recovery between training sessions, faster hair growth. This leads me to belive in a similar way to HGH, but maybe not on the same scale, Ursolic Acid through stimulating IGF-1 gene expression can promote healing in the body.

Its Anti-Inflammatory nature

Inflammation is a tricky one because it is a mechanism which the body uses to promote healing but excess inflammation is counterproductive to the healing process. Ursolic Acid has been shown to be able to reduce inflammation when taken topically or iternally, After surgery your going to have excess levels of inflammation, Ursolic Acid in spray form can reduce the lmflammation through the topical and internal route as you can spray it directly on to the affected areas. Eventually it will be absorbed through your skin and affect your body systemically so its two for the price of one

Its anti-microbial nature

Ursolic Acid has been shown to be able to kill and restrict the growth of various strains of bacteria which has its use when recovering from surgery as infections are very common after surgery

Synthesis

Synthesis

Awards
I know GH supplements are bunk in healthy people, but could I benefit from some type of GH supp?
Most defiantly if your willing to go down that route:

www ergo-log.com/secret-weapon-against-sports-injuries-called-growth-hormone.html (can't post links yet)

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
I had surgery on Tuesday (shoulder) and someone recommended grhp-6 to me. I personally have no experience with this type of product though.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I had surgery on Tuesday (shoulder) and someone recommended grhp-6 to me. I personally have no experience with this type of product though.
I would certainly be interested in seeing the results of peptides on healing and recovery time.

domore

Awards
On to the long road to recovery

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Epharm joint force been helping alot aftr my knee sutgery
Joint Force is topical, right? Does it only provide relief where you apply it or does it absorb and help all over?

domore

Awards
Joint Force is topical, right? Does it only provide relief where you apply it or does it absorb and help all over?
Yes, Joint Force is topical. However, I am not sure of its MOA.

I found some Humanofort in my cupboard, so I'm going to high dose it and see if it helps with recovery since it contains naturally occurring IGF-1 and IGF-2, FGF, NGF, EGF, and CTGF.

Does anything else have the growth factors or the ability to increase the growth factors? (Earlier in the thread, Ursolic Acid was mentioned to increase IGF-1)

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Yes, Joint Force is topical. However, I am not sure of its MOA.

I found some Humanofort in my cupboard, so I'm going to high dose it and see if it helps with recovery since it contains naturally occurring IGF-1 and IGF-2, FGF, NGF, EGF, and CTGF.

Does anything else have the growth factors or the ability to increase the growth factors? (Earlier in the thread, Ursolic Acid was mentioned to increase IGF-1)
Outside of stuff that you can't buy OTC, I would just stick with dedicated joint supps. I am 5 days out from surgery have decided to just roll with Osteo-Sport after considering all the options an getting some feedback from some people that know much more than I do about these things.

domore

Awards
Outside of stuff that you can't buy OTC, I would just stick with dedicated joint supps. I am 5 days out from surgery have decided to just roll with Osteo-Sport after considering all the options an getting some feedback from some people that know much more than I do about these things.
Yeah, I've decided to keep everything OTC. I didn't want to go down that road. I'll using Nutraplanet's Cissus as the main guy.

I know VaughnTrue and Dr. Houser like Humanofort, but I'm not sure if it will help in the way that I would like it to.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I've decided to keep everything OTC. I didn't want to go down that road. I'll using Nutraplanet's Cissus as the main guy.

I know VaughnTrue and Dr. Houser like Humanofort, but I'm not sure if it will help in the way that I would like it to.
It's a very interesting topic. I can't really say how helpful it would be though.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established

domore

Awards
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
I'll keep a little log of it and keep you updated. It will be a pretty short run since I only have one bottle--probably 12-15 days.

domore

Awards
Alrighty, tomorrow is the fifth day after my surgery.

Beginning tomorrow, I will be incorporating these supplements, and these only, for my recovery process.

Humanofort - 400mg before bed - Will probably be only to run it for 15 days at that dose.

Cissus - 1g before breakfast/1g before dinner

Protein & Bovine Plasma - My own version of ol' popular ErgoPharm's GF-Pro.

Fish Oil - 2-3g EPA/DHA

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Alrighty, tomorrow is the fifth day after my surgery.

Beginning tomorrow, I will be incorporating these supplements, and these only, for my recovery process.

Humanofort - 400mg before bed - Will probably be only to run it for 15 days at that dose.

Cissus - 1g before breakfast/1g before dinner

Protein & Bovine Plasma - My own version of ol' popular ErgoPharm's GF-Pro.

Fish Oil - 2-3g EPA/DHA
How are you doing? I am 7 days out now and am only taking Osteo-Sport and Ergobolic. I was warned about taking Cissus too early after surgery so I am holding off on it until 2 weeks out.

domore

Awards
How are you doing? I am 7 days out now and am only taking Osteo-Sport and Ergobolic. I was warned about taking Cissus too early after surgery so I am holding off on it until 2 weeks out.
Not too bad, actually. Feeling decent. How are you?

Hmm. I'll probably hold off on cissus for another week. What is the problem with taking it too early?

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Tb500 (thymosine beta 4) could be of interest. It can heal wounded tissues, ligaments, and tendons. It's a polypeptide found on research Chem sites. People swear by it and it has a boat load of positive effects and no negative that I could find

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Tb500 (thymosine beta 4) could be of interest. It can heal wounded tissues, ligaments, and tendons. It's a polypeptide found on research Chem sites. People swear by it and it has a boat load of positive effects and no negative that I could find
Would be interested in Mr. Cooper's thoughts on this.

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Would be interested in Mr. Cooper's thoughts on this.
I read on post about a guy who took it, granted its personal experience and not a study or anything so take with a grain of salt, but the guy said he had a confirmed torn labrum and after running the tb500 he did not have to have surgery to fix it.

Also makes your skin and hair shine and can possibly "re grow" hair.

Lean muscle mass / fat loss is possible

It is used in race horses for performance since it is not testable

It is also used to heal heart attack patients hearts

I'm thinking about using it pretty soon to help with joint injuries

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Not too bad, actually. Feeling decent. How are you?

Hmm. I'll probably hold off on cissus for another week. What is the problem with taking it too early?
I am getting better but have a long road ahead of me.

As far as why to avoid Cissus early on, it has to do with Cissus encouraging osteoblast formation and osteoclast inhibition through suppression of NF-KB, which can cause heterotopic bone growth and mess things up.

domore

Awards
I am getting better but have a long road ahead of me.

As far as why to avoid Cissus early on, it has to do with Cissus encouraging osteoblast formation and osteoclast inhibition through suppression of NF-KB, which can cause heterotopic bone growth and mess things up.
Learn something new every day! Glad to hear you are doing better. It is definitely going to take some time.

So, two weeks is a good starting point, then? At two weeks, I am allowed to start bearing weight on my ankle, too.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Learn something new every day! Glad to hear you are doing better. It is definitely going to take some time.

So, two weeks is a good starting point, then? At two weeks, I am allowed to start bearing weight on my ankle, too.
Yeah, I was told 2 weeks out would be good for Cissus. That's when I am going to start.

domore

Awards
Yeah, I was told 2 weeks out would be good for Cissus. That's when I am going to start.
Okay, thanks a lot, Dewey. I'll be good to start in about a week or so.

Steve_W

Awards
Doing a search - came across this thread. Tore my hamstring about a week ago, is a grade 2 tear so will be 4-6 weeks of no running or leg workouts :S. I asked this in another thread and was told cissus would be effective for overall anti-inflammatory effect, but are there any supps which can increase muscular regeneration/healing time? Eating 200g of protein/day (I'm 168lb) and trying to get a decent amount of fruit and veg in for anti-inflammatory effects also, but wondering if there is anything that can speed things up. Alot of the products I see mentioned in this thread are for joint health so not sure how relevant this is to muscular healing.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Doing a search - came across this thread. Tore my hamstring about a week ago, is a grade 2 tear so will be 4-6 weeks of no running or leg workouts :S. I asked this in another thread and was told cissus would be effective for overall anti-inflammatory effect, but are there any supps which can increase muscular regeneration/healing time? Eating 200g of protein/day (I'm 168lb) and trying to get a decent amount of fruit and veg in for anti-inflammatory effects also, but wondering if there is anything that can speed things up. Alot of the products I see mentioned in this thread are for joint health so not sure how relevant this is to muscular healing.
A grade 2 hamstring tear is more about giving it time than anything else. I agree that Cissus may help from am anti-inflammatory standpoint. I can't really think of anything else supplement wise that will make a huge difference in your recovery. Time and patience are your friends in this situation.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
You're really just going to be limited to rest and time.

Steve_W

Awards
You're really just going to be limited to rest and time.
Yeah I pretty much figured. I am going to use some cissus xt and also purchased some joint force as per recommendations in this thread coupled with lots of stretching, hate not being able to do squats!!

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I pretty much figured. I am going to use some cissus xt and also purchased some joint force as per recommendations in this thread coupled with lots of stretching, hate not being able to do squats!!
Just make sure you keep up with whatever light things you can do (at this point it's most likely light walking). Keeping active in any means possible (even if it's very slight) can help decrease overall recovery time along with proper rest and nutrition.

Steve_W

Awards
Just make sure you keep up with whatever light things you can do (at this point it's most likely light walking). Keeping active in any means possible (even if it's very slight) can help decrease overall recovery time along with proper rest and nutrition.
Will do. What dosage of cissus do you guys recommend? I was reading around and 3g a day seems to be pretty popular?

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Will do. What dosage of cissus do you guys recommend? I was reading around and 3g a day seems to be pretty popular?
3g per day is perfect. I would dose two Cissus XT first thing in the AM and two more before bed. That's how I do it and it makes it very easy to follow a routine.

Steve_W

Awards
Thanks, looking forward to the cortisol lowering aspect too. I love this forum :)