Petition for Supplement Science section

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Please post your electronic signatures below if you're interested in such a thing. Hopefully we can get enough support and admin will take us up on this :). I feel like a lot of great threads are made in this section, but they get lost through time due to the volume of product-related questions/logs/stacks etc. A supplement science section would be a great way to keep all things science "under one roof." Who's with me?

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DJBeanPole approves!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in bud!

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Would love a section devoted to this. Some members here contribute a lot of good input on scientific studies and a dedicated place to post and discuss them would be very helpful. :thumbsup:

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Don't know why this has not been brought up before. Definitely in for this

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be for it, but it has been brought up before. The issue is that it sort of needs to be a more strongly moderated area than the rest. Its almost impossible to try and have a more serious scientific conversation without control of the threads. You know, you'll get the broscience wizards involved with "you've got to have 6-8 meals a day spaced no more than 180 minutes apart", and the d!ck jokes, etc.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Signed... Airborne!

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm always angry.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Am.com

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This would be a big plus!!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be for it, but it has been brought up before. The issue is that it sort of needs to be a more strongly moderated area than the rest. Its almost impossible to try and have a more serious scientific conversation without control of the threads. You know, you'll get the broscience wizards involved with "you've got to have 6-8 meals a day spaced no more than 180 minutes apart", and the d!ck jokes, etc.
JudoJosh for Science mod!

Problem solved ;)

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Celorza likes and supports this post with all his 140lbs of small might.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

^^^^Agreed. This idea jogs my memory back to the discussions (or lack there of) when the **** Oxygen canisters came out.

Br

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, if we can get a good 2-3 people to work as science mods, that ought to turn out really well

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^Agreed. This idea jogs my memory back to the discussions (or lack there of) when the **** Oxygen canisters came out.

Br
I remember that debacle. :D

JudoJosh already posts studies all the time...I bet if we compiled a bunch of the threads he has started we'd have a decent beginning to a Science section. ;)

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Yeah, if we can get a good 2-3 people to work as science mods, that ought to turn out really well
Coop for Main mod. Josh for Mod. PA as the sarcastic comment manager in charge of shunning wrong posts.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree. Coop and Josh are great choices.
x2

So far between them and Zir RED most of the people whose posts I like to follow because they usually back stuff up with actual studies have posted in here.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was joking guys (but thanks for the support)

My vote would be for ZirRed

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear ya...but why can't you discuss science here?
I think they are looking for an area thats moderated a bit more to keep the Brosephs out.
I think overall because then there would be a section to cover ingredients and compounds, not which company is better. With a "Supplement Science" section the rules could be enforced differently with separate moderators as previously mentioned. In the supplement section, there are really no rules against reps or users coming in and saying THIS product is great.

A section to focus on research articles and science would be a win for everyone IMO.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
x2

So far between them and Zir RED most of the people whose posts I like to follow because they usually back stuff up with actual studies have posted in here.
Agreed 110%. I literally follow these guys from post to post, lurking and reading.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I hear ya...but why can't you discuss science here?
We certainly can, and numerous threads have been created strictly in the name of scientific inquiry. However, most of these threads get lost amidst all the company-related threas within just a few days, so I think it would be beneficial to everyone to have a readily accessible section that discusses the latest and greatest on various ingredients, without (or with minimal) company bias involved. Look at PA/Dr. Houser's sections...for the most part, there is a much higher proclivity for members to learn simply because unique, science-based discussions have evolved from seemingly basic questions like "What do you think about BCAAs?" These are just my two cents and I think I'll live if we don't make a science section, but it would be awesome :D.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be useful because when you try to discuss something you end up with post like

"Bro I been on CEE for 2 weeks and the pumps and gains are sick! Up 15lbs already!"

Or when you challenge someones statement and question their thinking, logic or general ability to be objective in a discussion you get

"science isnt everything! I know what I know. Every pro does this and its true. You need 10 meals a deal to stoke metabolism. Its common sense, I dont need to prove it"

With a discussion section founded on objective reasoning and science it eliminates the brolore and challenges members to start questioning and thinking for themselves. More questions like, "Why do you suppose tribulus is such a great test booster?" and "What is the proposed MOA?" Instead of the typical type of questions like "which carb gives the best gains. Brown rice or white rice?". And yes while anecdotal evidence does has its place, n=1 experience seems to dominate every thread here. There isnt a good balance between actual evidence and bro i spired "evidence" in my opinion and this is what this proposed section would bring to the table. Simple rules like if you make a statement or are in a debate, try to remain objective and back you post up with the very least some sort of thought process and ideally some form of research. Be respectful and dont be a dik if you have a disagreement. Hostility is not welcome in debates. Too often when you are discussing something against someone and they realize that either they are wrong, dont know what the hell they are saying or you back them into a corner with evidence, they get hostile and resort to "how much can you bench then bro" or "lets see your pic" and other nonsense. A place where this isn't allowed would be amazing! And this does not mean there will not be disagreements among the more science minded members and the same rule will apply to them as well like, yes maurine models suck but for many cases its all we have. Or the in vivo vs in vitro disagreements. Also, no specific product bashing or even discussion for that matter would be helpful. Discuss ingredients and if you so choose you can discuss the interactions between multiple ingrediets. Simple things like this will set the tone for a great forum.

Examples, me and coop briefly discussed via PMs the health implications of TTA and I was tempted to make a thread but I know it will get over run with post like "I lost mad weight on DCP. Its legit!" same goes for berberine. We have had a couple post back in forth in various threads on its potential negative effects and again it gets drowned out by post full anecdotal evidence (mainly n=1) being passed off as empirical evidence. Hell i have a thread on blood sugar lowering adjuvants and it was going good but then turned into "insert company GDA" vs. "insert opposing company GDA". Same goes for a thread I was involved in on the topic of high gi vs low gi carbs and a thread on carbs post workout in general. These types of discussions are in valuable to the community but they consistent get drowned out by bickering, false claims and psuedo-science.

Or in other words, I sign this petition and support coops motion for this forum

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
**signed**

Synthesis

Synthesis

Awards
I've learnt so much from scientific discussions that take place on AM, there are countless like me that are peeping them from the shadows and benefiting, so in honour of that I e-sign

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Indubitably.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Understand why, but its a matter of manpower if you want so many restrictions on it.
I don't necessarily want restrictions per se. All we would need is the ability to move non-science (i.e. rate my stack) threads to the main supplement section. Other threads like "Best testosterone booster" can certainly stay...the only difference will be that we will use an objective approach in dissecting the various ingredients found in such products. If someone wants to come into the thread and offer anecdotal evidence, that is perfectly fine. This will undoubtedly be a small section relative to the main supplement section, so most people (except for noobs) will get the gist of what should and shouldn't be posted in the science section. Thoughts?

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't necessarily want restrictions per se. All we would need is the ability to move non-science (i.e. rate my stack) threads to the main supplement section. Other threads like "Best testosterone booster" can certainly stay...the only difference will be that we will use an objective approach in dissecting the various ingredients found in such products. If someone wants to come into the thread and offer anecdotal evidence, that is perfectly fine. This will undoubtedly be a small section relative to the main supplement section, so most people (except for noobs) will get the gist of what should and shouldn't be posted in the science section. Thoughts?
Agreed would offer another section of this site where people wouldn't have to do huge searches to find a good discussion on the science of things. Without getting shoved way down, I think JudoJosh's blood sugar thread was good but I forget cause it gets lost in the shuffle.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
It would also be greater opportunity for those of us who don't know as much in the scientific side to pick the brains of you genius'

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
Signed