The Effects of an Acute Dose of Rhodiola Rosea on Endurance Exercise Performance

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Effects of an Acute Dose of Rhodiola Rosea on Endurance Exercise Performance

Abstract:

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of an acute oral dose of 3mg/kg of Rhodiola Rosea (Rr) on endurance exercise performance, perceived exertion, mood, and cognitive function. Subjects (n=18) ingested either Rr or a carbohydrate placebo 1 h prior to testing in a double blind, random crossover manner. Exercise testing consisted of a standardized 10 min warm-up, followed by a 6-mile time trial (TT) on a bicycle ergometer. Perceived exertion (RPE) was measured every 5 min during the TT using a BORG 10 pt scale. Blood lactate concentration, salivary cortisol and salivary alpha amylase were measured pre warm-up, 2 min post warm-up, and 2 min post TT (n=15). A Profile of Mood States (POMS) questionnaire and a Stroop's Color Test were completed pre-warm up and post TT. Testing was repeated 2-7d later with the other condition. Rr ingestion significantly decreased heart rate during the standardized warm up (Rr=136+17bpm; Placebo=140+17bpm; mean+SD; p=0.001). Subjects completed the TT significantly faster following Rr ingestion (Rr=25.4+2.7 min; placebo=25.8+3.0 min; p=0.037). The mean RPE was lower in the Rr trial (Rr= 6.0+0.9; placebo= 6.6+1.0; p=0.04). This difference was even more pronounced when a ratio of the RPE relative to the workload was calculated (Rr= 0.048+0.01; placebo= 0.057+0.02; p=0.007). No other statistically significant differences were observed. Acute Rr ingestion decreases heart rate response to sub-maximal exercise, and appears to improve endurance exercise performance by decreasing the perception of effort.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another one

Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise performance.

Abstract
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of acute and 4-week Rhodiola rosea intake on physical capacity, muscle strength, speed of limb movement, reaction time, and attention.

METHODS: PHASE I: A double blind placebo-controlled randomized study (n= 24) was performed, consisting of 2 sessions (2 days per session). Day 1: One hour after acute Rhodiola rosea intake (R, 200-mg Rhodiola rosea extract containing 3% rosavin + 1% salidroside plus 500 mg starch) or placebo (P, 700 mg starch) speed of limb movement (plate tapping test), aural and visual reaction time, and the ability to sustain attention (Fepsy Vigilance test) were assessed. Day 2: Following the same intake procedure as on day 1, maximal isometric knee-extension torque and endurance exercise capacity were tested. Following a 5-day washout period, the experimental procedure was repeated, with the treatment regimens being switched between groups (session 2). PHASE II: A double blind placebo-controlled study (n = 12) was performed. Subjects underwent sessions 3 and 4, identical to Phase I, separated by a 4-week R/P intake, during which subjects ingested 200 mg R/P per day.

RESULTS: PHASE I: Compared with P, acute R intake in Phase I increased (p <.05) time to exhaustion from 16.8 +/- 0.7 min to 17.2+/- 0.8 min. Accordingly, VO2peak (p <.05) and VCO2peak (p<.05) increased during R compared to P from 50.9 +/- 1.8 ml x min(-1) x kg(- )1 to 52.9 +/- 2.7 ml x min(-10) x kg(-1) (VO2peak) and from 60.0 +/- 2.3 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) to 63.5+/- 2.7 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) (VCO2peak). Pulmonary ventilation (p =.07) tended to increase more during R than during P (P: 115.9+/- 7.7 L/min; R: 124.8 +/- 7.7 L/min). All other parameters remained unchanged. PHASE II: Four-week R intake did not alter any of the variables measured.

CONCLUSION: Acute Rhodiola rosea intake can improve endurance exercise capacity in young healthy volunteers. This response was not altered by prior daily 4-week Rhodiola intake.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So not only is rhodiola rosea a steallar adaptogen (reduces the effect of perceived stress) but it looks like it may also be a decent performance enhancer

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
intradasting finds, thanks for posting these up :D

JonRubio

JonRubio

Awards
  • Established
I definitely feel a difference when i supplement it.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yep Rhodiola actually has a ton of relevant research backing it. The issue is that companies often use poor extracts or doses.

domore

Awards
Yep Rhodiola actually has a ton of relevant research backing it. The issue is that companies often use poor extracts or doses.
So what type of extracts/doses should we be looking for? 3-4% Rosavin?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I remember correctly, rhodiola rosea also increases creatine deposition.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember reading that the endurance aspect of rhodiola is only effective in increments of something like 4 weeks or so. You come across anything like this? I would like to say I can find the article but not positive as I am posting from the phone, as usual :(

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting, never realized it had the other benefits as well.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might look into incorporating this into my triathlon training if it can benefit endurance training. I typically stick to basics in the month before my main races, last year I used BA, cordygen, cit mal, and creatine.

domore

Awards
Picked up some bulk rhodiola (3% rosavin)

With what dosages have people experienced success?

domore

Awards
Bump for judo, rodja, coop, etc.

Has anybody had experience with high extract rhodiola?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
There's a big shift in effects going from low dose to high dose..and this depends both on the extract strength/quality as well as individual tolerance. Low dose will give lots of energy as well as a boost in endurance. High dose can be VERY sedating although apparently it gives a greater boost in endurance as indicated by the articles above. I think the sedative effects can be overcome with a decent stim.

I used all sorts of doses and extracts of RR years ago, but stopped using it due to sleep disturbances as well as unpredictability of moods. It started off putting me in a great mood and was my solution for chronic depression, but it ended up not being stable for me. It definitely enhanced cardio for me.

I've refined my depression treatment supps quite a bit over the years, so I may play with RR dosing again.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I too noticed an improvement in endurance across all states and not just exercise. However, after a few days of daily use I developed insomnia and I didn't seem to tire at all. My body felt like it needed no sleep and I was able to go to work and function as normal without any shut eye. I stopped after a couple of days because I thought this cannot be good for my body and mind.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Keep in mind that there can be significant differences in quality amongst brands- more than most other supplements. Ideally, you want a 3-4:1 ratio of rosavins. Also, I'd recommend starting with a low dose and working up because there is a fine line where it starts working as a sedative.

I can only take 250-300mg at 3.5% rosavin. 500mg makes me very edgy and I tried to take 1g on several occasions looking for an athletic advantage and it ended up putting me to sleep.

One of the best things about Rhodiola is the fact that it dramatically impacts your quality of sleep. Since starting to take it last year, I've dropped about an hour of sleep at night and wake up feeling much more refreshed.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
I love the stuff. But too much and it makes me anxious. The opposite of what a lower dosage does.

squatting

Banned
Awards
I took Gaia Herbs Siberian Rhodiola Rosea and even tho I felt a increased in endurance it got me very dizzy, I dosed it another day where I didnt work out and got dizzy again.

Alcohol Free Concentrated Extract Of:
Rhodiola Rosea Root (Rhodiola Rosea) 400mg
Standardized To Full Spectrum Profile
Rosavins 12mg

-----

Now i got a bottle of the Rhodiola 500mg VitaminShoppe and wonder what are the chances im going to get dizzy off this one as well????

RHODIOLA ROSEA EXTRACT (STD. TO 5.4% ROSAVINS 27 MG, 3.6% ROSAVIN 18 MG, 0.9% SALIDROSIDES 4.5 MG AND 36% POLYPHENOLS 180 MG)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can never go wrong with Gaia, but the dosage may be a little low for some at 120mg. Their 120 is going to be better than others 200-300mg. I like Gaia, Solaray (what I am loving right now), and to some degree NOW. NOW seems to be a little strong for me.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take Compete and I never got dizzy off it, wonder if it's cause it's a lower dose.
correct, we dosed it appropriately. Rhodiola can have VERY different effects based on its dosage, so we went with what we found to be the best for stress/endurance enhancement.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rhodiola rosea is one of my favorites. Successful clinicals that established Rhodiola Rosea's adaptogenic properties used standardized extractions yielding 3% rosavins (rosavin, rosarin, and rosin) and 1% salidrosides, the same ratio available in the natural root. These rosavins and salidrosides must be collectively present for rhodiola rosea to produce desired effects. In otherwords, not all rhodiola are the same. More specifically, as already mentioned, the effective rhodiola used in clinical trials was/is Rhodiola Rosea, or Russian Rhodiola. You would need a minimum of 7.5mg Rosavins and 2.5mg Salidrosides daily to see results such as elevated phospho-creatine and ATP syntheses, improved endurance, cognitive function and perception, as well as enhanced immune support.

domore

Awards
Rhodiola rosea is one of my favorites. Successful clinicals that established Rhodiola Rosea's adaptogenic properties used standardized extractions yielding 3% rosavins (rosavin, rosarin, and rosin) and 1% salidrosides, the same ratio available in the natural root. These rosavins and salidrosides must be collectively present for rhodiola rosea to produce desired effects. In otherwords, not all rhodiola are the same. More specifically, as already mentioned, the effective rhodiola used in clinical trials was/is Rhodiola Rosea, or Russian Rhodiola. You would need a minimum of 7.5mg Rosavins and 2.5mg Salidrosides daily to see results such as elevated phospho-creatine and ATP syntheses, improved endurance, cognitive function and perception, as well as enhanced immune support.
How do you typically dose rhodiola, strategic?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How do you typically dose rhodiola, strategic?
Depends on how I feel. When I really need a boost in energy, alertness and focus, I take two capsules containing the amounts of rosavins and salidrosides I mentioned above (per capsule), on an empty stomach, about 30-45 minutes before breakfast, plus one capsule of Aswagandha (Sensoril® Ashwagandha standardised to 8% withanolide glycoside conjugates and 32% oligosaccharides]. On workout days, same dose about 45 minutes pre-workout (with or without Ashwagandha). Otherwise, on normal days, I take one capsule of Rhodiola rosea per day, on an empty stomach, before breakfast.

domore

Awards
Depends on how I feel. When I really need a boost in energy, alertness and focus, I take two capsules containing the amounts of rosavins and salidrosides I mentioned above (per capsule), on an empty stomach, about 30-45 minutes before breakfast, plus one capsule of Aswagandha (Sensoril® Ashwagandha standardised to 8% withanolide glycoside conjugates and 32% oligosaccharides]. On workout days, same dose about 45 minutes pre-workout (with or without Ashwagandha). Otherwise, on normal days, I take one capsule of Rhodiola rosea per day, on an empty stomach, before breakfast.
How long is your typical cycle with an adaptogen? I capped a bunch of rhodiola (3% and 1%) a while ago, but never got around to implementing it.

jsals22

Awards
Been taking NOW Rhodiola for 2 weeks pre workout and see def increase in endurance

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How long is your typical cycle with an adaptogen? I capped a bunch of rhodiola (3% and 1%) a while ago, but never got around to implementing it.
8-12 weeks.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks, a lot! You know what would go well with rhodiola? DomainATP would fit nicely :)

I'm going to work rhodiola into my regimen for a few weeks.
DominATP! That was a classic!

squatting

Banned
Awards
rhodiola rosea extract (std. to 5.4% rosavins 27 mg, 3.6% rosavin 18 mg, 0.9% salidrosides 4.5 mg and 36% polyphenols 180 mg) 500 mg n/a*

Is that a good ingredient panel or too much/little

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it would move extremely well on its own.
NutraPlanet is currently offering Versa-1 along with a few USPowders products for about $35. So, we might be getting closer to DominATP. ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Someone explain Domain ATP to me. I have been a big RR fan for a long time, so is this some compound or recovery mix being created?

domore

Awards
NutraPlanet is currently offering Versa-1 along with a few USPowders products for about $35. So, we might be getting closer to DominATP. ;)
When I first saw the deal, I automatically thought of what you said!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it was just a Pre workout. Ahead of its time but in today's standards will be like the rest of them

Creatine
L-Lucien
CM
beta alanine
Gotcha. Don't like creatine, but CM and beta alanine are nice, though. After doing the supplement game for so many years, I long ago realized I'd rather buy the couple/few supplements that actually work in a single bulk ingredient and make my own mix.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone else suffered from insomnia when using Rhodiola?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has anyone else suffered from insomnia when using Rhodiola?
Never have. I take it pre-bed sometimes and still sleep like a log. For some, it might disturb their sleep architecture, though.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's crazy, I have never heard of that. In fact, they put it in better pre-workouts now due to the sustained energy it delivers. My wife had to stop taking it because she was convinced she was going to have a heart attack.