Are you a queen bee?

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
Curious as to whether anyone supplements with Royal Jelly... and if so, what specific reason and what effects have you noticed?

Thanks!

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Curious as to whether anyone supplements with Royal Jelly... and if so, what specific reason and what effects have you noticed?

Thanks!
As in a Peanut Butter and Royal Jelly sandwich or protein bar?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Sub for answers.

My grandma , mother and god mother dose Royal Jelly for longevity , healthy skin/hair and many good health benefits. It is from a Mexican product though...the kinda one they announce like a "miracle do it all" on tv...I wanna learn more about this.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
Does unrefined raw honey count?
If so, then yes.
Peace

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Sorry for being a smart a$$ earlier, but one of my female co-workers actually take Royal Jelly religiously. She had breast cancer a few years ago (before we worked together) and the doc told her that Royal Jelly would help bolster her immune system during chemo. She has never stopped taking it. and probably never will as long as she stays cancer free.

halljo

halljo

Awards
I wish I could find the study I read that showed Royal Jelly increased testosterone. It was a study using mice of course, but it did show some promise for Bodybuilding and just for general well-being

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish I could find the study I read that showed Royal Jelly increased testosterone. It was a study using mice of course, but it did show some promise for Bodybuilding and just for general well-being
It was an Iraqi study.

Its actually posted in Supplement News. T-Nation posted it recently.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is this stuff?!? First time I've ever heard of it!

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Check Antaeus Labs sub forum. They have various info on it

henryv

Awards
  • Established
What is this stuff?!? First time I've ever heard of it!
Check Antaeus Labs sub forum. They have various info on it
We sell "Queen Bee Acid", which is a fatty acid that is only found in Royal Jelly.

Royal jelly is the special food of the larva of the queen honeybee. It's what turns an ordinary bee larva into a future queen; bigger, stronger, and longer-lived than the worker bees.
Royal jelly is made up of proteins, sugars, lipids, vitamins and free amino acids. The component of Royal Jelly that is responsible for turning an ordinary bee into a queen is the protein royalactin. The major component of the lipid fraction is a fatty acid known as “queen bee acid”, which has other unique properties.
See: What is Queen Bee Acid?

Fat loss and endurance enhancement?
- Queen bee acid is an AMPK activator - like AICAR. AMPK activation stimulates fatty acid oxidation, and enhances glucose uptake in skeletal muscle. This explains why use of exogenous AICAR results in fat loss and endurance enhancement. AMPK may also improve blood flow to muscles, cause mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle, and regulate appetite. [SUP][1][/SUP]

Longevity?
- Queen bee acid has been identified as one of the compounds responsible for the life-extension effects of Royal Jelly observed in some species. Queen bee acid significantly extends the lifespan of nematode worms. [SUP][2][/SUP]

Mood and memory?
- Queen bee acid has similar neurogenic effects in animal and in vitro tests to the omega 3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and the protein brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). [SUP][3][/SUP]
- Mice treated with queen bee acid were less vulnerable to stress and despondency. [SUP][4][/SUP]

1. 10-Hydroxy-2-decenoic acid, a unique medium-chain fatty acid, activates 5’-AMP-activated protein kinase in L6 myotubes and mice. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2013 Oct;57(10):1794–802.
2. Lifespan-Extending Effects of Royal Jelly and Its Related Substances on the Nematode Caenorhabditis Elegans. PloS One 6 ( 8 ): e23527.
3. Royal Jelly and Its Unique Fatty Acid, 10-Hydroxy-Trans-2-Decenoic Acid, Promote Neurogenesis by Neural Stem/progenitor Cells in Vitro. Biomedical Research (Tokyo, Japan) 28(5): 261–266.
4. Antidepressant-like Activity of 10-Hydroxy-Trans-2-Decenoic Acid, a Unique Unsaturated Fatty Acid of Royal Jelly, in Stress-Inducible Depression-like Mouse Model. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine: e139140.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn. Came in here and saw old posts from Dewey. Miss you, bro.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recall reading some human studies on this sort of thing:
We conducted a randomized placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. A total of 61 healthy volunteers aged 42-83 years were enrolled and were randomly divided into a royal jelly group (n = 31) and a control group (n = 30). Three thousand mg of royal jelly (RJ) or a placebo in 100 ml liquid/day were ingested for 6 months. The primary outcomes were changes in anthropometric measurements and biochemical indexes from baseline to 6 months after intervention...

In an adjusted mean change of the variables from the baseline, significant differences between the two groups could be found in red blood cell counts (+0.16x106 /μL for the RJ group vs. -0.01x106 /μL for the control group, P = 0.0134), hematocrit (+0.9% vs. -0.8%, P = 0.0251), log (fasting plasma glucose) (+0.01 ± 0.01 log mg/dL vs. +0.05 ± 0.01 log mg/dL, P = 0.0297), log (insulinogenic index) (+0.25 vs. -0.13, P = 0.0319), log dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEA-S) (+0.08 log μg/dL vs. +0.20 log μg/dL, P = 0.0483), log testosterone (T) (+0.12 ± 0.04 log ng/mL vs. -0.02 ± 0.05 log ng/mL, P = 0.0416), log T/DHEA-S ratio (+0.05 ± 0.05 vs. -0.23 ± 0.59, P = 0.0015), and in one of the SF-36 subscale scores, mental health (MH) (+4 vs. -7, P = 0.0276)...

Six-month ingestion of RJ in humans improved erythropoiesis, glucose tolerance and mental health. Acceleration of conversion from DHEA-S to T by RJ may have been observed among these favorable effects...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3499288/
Eighty – three infertile men were treated with Royal Jelly,
twenty – two with 100mg Royal Jelly, twenty –one with 50mg Royal Jelly,
twenty with 25mg Royal Jelly and twenty with pure honey. Our study
showed that, the treatments were safe and there were no side effects. After
three months of treatment , the sperm active motility , testosterone level ,
Lutelizing hormones level , sluggishly motile sperm and intercourse / week
increased significantly in infertile men treated with Royal Jelly , while
sperm count and FSH level increased not significantly . On the basis of
results, Royal Jelly is safe and effective in the treatment of male infertility
http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=47761
I don't think the research can be interpreted to say that it will increase testosterone significantly in healthy young people with normal testosterone levels, as one study was done with people over >42 (lower testosterone by this age), and the other was done on people with infertility, but they're promising studies nonetheless.

Bruce Lee was also supposedly a big fan of Royal Jelly as well. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar even recalls seeing Lee frequently consume Royal Jelly while filming The Game of Death, and supposedly Bruce himself said that he took Royal Jelly before demonstrations to increase his energy. Lee's wife has also said that Bruce was a fan of Royal Jelly and ginseng, and Chinese herbs and teas in general.
https://books.google.com/books?id=UysOWSloKBgC&pg=PA169&lpg=PA169&dq=royal+jelly+bruce+lee&********bl&ots=taSl9daxth&sig=YZ6cOuEq_8mJ7GIeX93Q8MGIjMQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jyPAVOb7L4KoNsvwgMgH&ved=0CGIQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=royal jelly bruce lee&f=false

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I changed my post cause outside of board gossip I don't know know for sure.

Still, he's a good guy and I do miss him--no homo.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to the jelliez.

halljo

halljo

Awards
I decided to give it a shot... I figured that if at minimum, it helped with energy levels then it was a plus. Been using it for about 4 days, just hit 2,000 mg (caps). Maybe a mental thing, but I do seem to have a little more energy and drive this morning. I'll see what 3,000 mg a day does for the next 30 days.

halljo

halljo

Awards
Haven't really noticed anything since on 3,000mg a day. Still think I get a little bit on energy with it... haven't noticed any other benefits.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
FYI, it's one of the ingredients in Epitome, also.

(I knew we had it in one of the products and it was driving me nuts -- I kept thinking MyoSynergy at first and couldn't remember. Had myself a brain fart)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, and:

lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend