Nizoral and a boner

kkmike

Awards
I was reading up on that new ED drug that has Ditka as the spokesperson...forgot what it's called...anyway, under the section that says "tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following"....one of the products listed is Nizoral. Anyone know why? Will my hair get a boner? Will I grow more hair on my shaft? Seriously though, doesn't the active ingredient in Nizoral just stay local on the scalp? There shouldn't be any systemic reactions I wouldn't think.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Nizoral is just 200mg ketoconazole. It's used in pill form for yeast and fungus/candaditis type infections. It's not as strong as miconazole and others but it's one of the few that is orally active, thus the name NizORAL. Kinda stupid that they used the same name for the shampoo when it really doesn't maket the same. But used orally, it shuts down CYP3A just like letro. Very dirty though, it kills test and estrogen production in just weeks. Either the ED drug uses that same enzyme or the lower test levels hurt it's effectiveness I'd guess.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In other words what the doc is saying is if you are using the shampoo you are straight.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
In other words what the doc is saying is if you are using the shampoo you are straight.
Thanks for the translation Ryan, why didn't I just say that?! :icon_lol:

kkmike

Awards
Found some info on the why. So this means oral Nizoral would increase the potency of the ED drug?

The concomitant use of potent CYP3A4 inhibitors such as ritonavir or ketoconazole resulted in significant increases in tadalafil AUC values (see PRECAUTIONS and DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Found some info on the why. So this means oral Nizoral would increase the potency of the ED drug?
Yes. The Niz would discourage metabolism of tadalafil by enzyme inhibition, thus increasing it's half-life, so the dose would need to be lowered. The potency is not really increased, just the blood levels.