New Protein Bar From Next Nutrition: Another Label Claims Disaster?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I never said it was moderate fat and low carb. You can use the detour bars all you want..and if their label is as off as has been stated in that one lab result..such is life.

All this is is a high calorie supplement that is cheaper than any bars you can buy, and you know whats in it. As was stated, you dont eat the whole batch at once. It is up to you to modify it to fit your nutritional needs.

2. Berardi writing articles are great, but where are the references? You can say anything you want, but I've never research anywhere saying that the fat-carb combo is as evil as these people make it out to be....
    •   

3. Originally posted by GuyinLA
    Ok, I'm looking at a Detour bar and this is the nutrient breakdown: 32 grams of protein, 21 grams of carbs, 9 grams of fat. The WD recipe above is 254 grams of protein, 282 grams of carbs and 236 grams of fat. Looking at it on a ratio basis, if one is attempting to follow a high protein/low carb diet, to me the Detour bar wins hands down. The WD recipe just doesn't seem to me to be consistent with a high protein/low carb/moderate fat diet while Detour bars are. This isn't intended as a flame. I would really appreciate if someone could explain how my reasoning is faulty.
    ok genius the detour bar has both glycerine(crappy carbs) and gelatin(useless protein..friggin horse hooves) so feel free to eat it..i'll take wd recipe anyday

4. Originally posted by wojo

ok genius the detour bar has both glycerine(crappy carbs) and gelatin(useless protein..friggin horse hooves) so feel free to eat it..i'll take wd recipe anyday
    It is clear to see why you chose the picture that you did. I have a very salient response, but not to a message like that.

5. hey my point is..did u even read the ingredients? the pic is a avatar..its a joke..after reading the detour bars ingredients im curious as to why u would even defend such a product in anyway shape or form
    •   

6. Originally posted by wojo
    hey my point is..did u even read the ingredients? the pic is a avatar..its a joke..after reading the detour bars ingredients im curious as to why u would even defend such a product in anyway shape or form
    I'm not really defending Detour bars. As I wrote in my earlier posts, protein bars are no substitute for shakes or food. But they are convenient, and for that reason I think they have their place. There are a good many bad protein bars on the market, which I define as having junk protein like collagen and way too much sugar (usually fructose). I think Detour is reasonably healthy.

As to your earlier comment, I agree that the glycerine carbs are not healthy ones but the bar is fairly low in overall carbs relative to protein content, which is what I am looking for on a high protein/low carb diet. As for the gelatin, that is listed way down in the order of ingredients. As you know, by law the ingredients are listed in order of prevelance in the product. The first three ingredients are whey protein concentrate, hydrolyzed whey protein and PDUF whey protein. I'm no expert, but I think these are good protein sources. I suspect the gelatin may be present for texture purposes, but I don't know for sure. I also think it is good that part of the sweetening comes from Splenda. There is no fructose, though there is some sugar in the chocolate coating.

As to the labeling claims, I earlier wrote that I happen to trust 1 fast, and the test he had done on Detour was favorable. I also wrote that even if Next Proteins had a problem with the first batch, that this is no fly-by-night company and wouldn't continue to produce a product that didn't live up to label claims. Now reasonable people can differ. That is just my analysis. I can't say for sure that the label claims are accurate but for now I have some comfort level. For that matter, is anyone certain of Optimum's whey protein label claims? (Actually, I consider Optimum very reputable and don't doubt the label claims, but I can't be sure. I think you have to buy from reputable companies and both Next Proteins and Optimum are in my opinion.)

The one thing I will concur with is that WD's recipe is undoubtedly cheaper than Detour. But it still seams to me to be inconsistent with a high protein/low carb diet. And a lot of those carbs are coming from honey, which is a simple carbohydrate, which I try to avoid. In addition, there is an awful lot of fat, though mostly unsaturated. I suppose if you are bulking it might be fine. And certainly better than eating candy or other junk food.

7. ok well the easiest thing to do about wd recipe is eliminate the carbs ie remove them from the recipe or add less..well on second thought the gelatin could actually be present in the choc coating that had not occured to me at all..i personally dont see next being that reputable as they have always sold whey concentrate ,it mixes horribley has a bad taste..but thats my opinion..i didnt mean to come off as a ahole and i apologize..wardogs r perfect for thoses looking for a little more cals in there weekly intake imo also

8. Just about to make my first batch of the WD bars. To break down the percentage according to the information in this post at 254 grams of protein, 282 grams of carbs and 236 grams of fat it would be roughly 25/25/50 -p/c/f.

9. Just a random thought: the two culprits that cause me to have concern with WD's recipe are peanut butter and honey (obviously the oatmeal has good carbs and Optimum is excellent whey protein). If those ingredients could be reduced the ratio would come out better. I love natural peanut butter (I eat it right out of the jar as a treat, but not too much). However, it is extremely high in fat, so reducing the amount would help. Perhaps more whey protein could be added to replace the protein lost with less peanut butter. However, the biggest thing that concerns me is the honey. If Splenda (which you can use in baking) could replace at least part of the honey (if not all) that would do a lot for reducing the simple carb content. Of course, I realize the honey and peanut butter might have something to do with the texture of the bars, as well as the taste, so experimentation on the ingredient amounts would be necessary. Just a suggestion for those who make the bars.

10. well damn i didnt think they would send me my u-turn bar or it would come in 3 months from now, but i did this survey about 2 weeks ago and it came in today 3-21-03. it comes in a little cylinder that says U-Turn on it and a paper saying thanks for the survey. I was impressed that they gave me a whole protein bar and it came quite fast. The taste is great for a bar, not to dry, and taste very good. I like Mikly Ways, but this bar's taste did get old 2/3 into it. It tasted similar to a milky way but nothing great in comparison of taste between the two (not the way they make it out). The comparison of the 2 wasn't that great, but that taste still was. Just thought i'd share this with you guys real quick. 

11. wtf, i ordered it a long time ago, haven't gotten mine yet

12. Originally posted by pinoy
    wtf, i ordered it a long time ago, haven't gotten mine yet
    1.give them a few days

2. they like me and don't like you

its a good little deal to save 2$ on a protein bar to try out. glad he shared this freebie with us.

13. NM! i got it today, i havent eaten it yet and it melted while in my mailbox

14. Originally posted by pinoy
    NM! i got it today, i havent eaten it yet and it melted while in my mailbox
    i had a feeling it would, ya mine started to melt a little in that container but i get my mail like 5 minutes after the mailman comes everyday so it was straight.

15. Got my U-Turn bar yesterday. I didn't do a lab assay on it or anything, so I can't speak for the ingredients, but it does taste fantastic for a protein bar.

16. Anyone half serious about his bbing journey, should stay away from bars..

Thanks.

17. Originally posted by RippedUp
    Anyone half serious about his bbing journey, should stay away from bars..

Thanks.
    whats your reasoning behind this? i know they arent the best bars out their to eat for sure, really high in sodium is one thing i noticed. interested in seeing a lab test on this one to. ill stick to my chicken breast and beef jerkey.

18. My philosophy about proper nutrition is; avoid processed foods as much as possible, and stick to closest to nature nutrients. (oatmeal, eggs, pultry, beef, beans, veggies, etc.)

Protein bars are as bad as it can possibly get, processing-wise.

If you are on the go, either prepare food ahead of time, or grab some milk, cottage cheese, tuna, protein powder etc. from the closest store.

19. Sodium is not the problem either. People should stop worrying about it, unless they are 1-2 days out of a contest/photoshoot.

Sodium is needed for proper cell function and mineral balance.

20. Certainly it is best to get protein from food but for some of us it isn't always practical to do so. I eat a protein bar mid-morning at the office because of the convenience. I suppose I could consume a shake, which would be preferable, but a bar is so much easier. One objective for me is to spread my daily intake of protein throughout the day and a good protein bar will provide 30 grams. Some bars are better than others. I'd be better off eating Labrada bars over Detour since Detour has more sugar but the taste of Detour is so much better. I think Detour's protein is quality and the carbs/sugar/fat are acceptable for a high protein/low carb diet. I guess if I were a competitive bodybuilder I would wholeheartedly agree with RippedUp, but I'm not. I think eating one Detour bar a day is consistent with a good diet (not a perfect diet, but a good one).

The other time I use bars is when I am traveling. In an airport/plane it really isn't possible to consume food. Better to eat a bar than the junk snacks provided by the airlines.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New "Protein" Bar
    By Xenocide in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM
  2. NTBM brand new protein bar flavors are in.. Who wants to test them out..
    By needtogetmuscle in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
  3. best nutritional profile for protein bars?
    By Nightwanderer in forum Supplements
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 03:02 PM
  4. what is a good protein bar nutrition wise?
    By clippers41 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM
  5. Next Nutrition 'One Way' Bar is out
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 01:56 AM