Supps to help with fat loss, for hypothyroidism?

J_MAN

Awards
My wife has hypo-thyroidism, and she does have a medication for it. But it is still very hard for her to lose weight with proper nutrition and cardio, and most fat loss supps tell you not to take them if you have a thyroid problem. (but I will say that she has used some before, so they don't hurt her) but regardless she still doesn't need to be taken those. So I was wondering if any of the "educated" here had any ideas as to what she might be able to take. or if anyone here has experience with hypothyroidism. Any input would be helpful THANKS

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Couldn't the trimax make her condition worse?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If she has hypothyroidsm and is currnetly taking medication (Synthroid?) then its not her condition that is keeping her from losing weight, its her diet.

You need to fix that before any supps are taken.

J_MAN

Awards
Well we're pretty sure it's her condition, I believe she has it pretty bad. She has to go to the doc every so often and get tested and usually get her med changed. I believe the med really won't "fix" the problem but rather it just helps. Because even while she is on her meds she is still tired alot (another symptom of hypothyroidism) and that's definietly not form her diet. any ideas?

J_MAN

Awards
and her bottle says Levothroid then under it it says "for: synthroid/L-Thyroxin" so I'm assuming that means its the generic form of synthroid.

oh and let me add, I see what your saying Bobo but I don't think I specified in my first post enough, it's not that she CAN'T lose weight it's just very hard. I actually Just totally redid her diet about 4 weeks ago and since then she has lost weight, but like I said it's still really hard for her. So I was just hoping there was something she could take to help her out a little more.

thanks guys!

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Could you possibly give us an idea of what her nutrition plan is like and what she is doing in terms of strength training and cardio? If we knew the details, it would help us to help her.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I have perhaps 3 mins, so i am going to type fast.....

1) she can lose weight your right its hard as hell, and frustrating...( I have thyroid cancer so they tell me or they think, before that it was just hypo) ....I have been on synthroid for the last 7 yrs of my life, I go back for the biopsy's to "make sure" the scans the blood work, yes I know all to well)........
2) I have been big/small, at different times in my life as well, just recently lost around 30 pds, ( being sick but still a large weight lose for someone who's thyroid is non functioning..)

I have run out of time, please feel free to PM me if you like, I am at a hospital right now on a lap top, and I only get so many mins for so many points earned in a day............( LONG STORY)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
and her bottle says Levothroid then under it it says "for: synthroid/L-Thyroxin" so I'm assuming that means its the generic form of synthroid.

oh and let me add, I see what your saying Bobo but I don't think I specified in my first post enough, it's not that she CAN'T lose weight it's just very hard. I actually Just totally redid her diet about 4 weeks ago and since then she has lost weight, but like I said it's still really hard for her. So I was just hoping there was something she could take to help her out a little more.

thanks guys!
Levothroid is actually the new standard now, after Abbot got slammed on all that bad Synthroid, so she has the good stuff. What's her dose? I'd bet she has been underdosed. Many docs do this and I don't know why, but if she's still tired, that probably it. If you send me her lab results and doses I may be able to better advise and offer a real suggestion.

J_MAN

Awards
well I believe she is going in to the doc some time in the next few weeks to get checked and change and/or renew her perscription so I'll let you know.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
well I believe she is going in to the doc some time in the next few weeks to get checked and change and/or renew her perscription so I'll let you know.
OK, sounds good J. She should be receiving T7 bloodwork (it's gives all the usefull numbers) just request a copy from the doc. I started replacing my thyroid at 21, but I was blessed enough to have a good doc. I've seen other folks who's doctor was a joke. I can tell you if you might want to look around for another one, if I can see those blood values.

And BTW, those fat burners usually increase pulse rate and/or BP, so she still might be able to use them as long as they don't cause cardiac overstimulation. She'll know if it feels wrong or not.

skratch

Awards
Well we're pretty sure it's her condition, I believe she has it pretty bad. She has to go to the doc every so often and get tested and usually get her med changed. I believe the med really won't "fix" the problem but rather it just helps. Because even while she is on her meds she is still tired alot (another symptom of hypothyroidism) and that's definietly not form her diet. any ideas?
You get very tired with to much thyroid hormone also,Trust me I know from taking trimax and some t4.If her thyroid is all over the place maybe its better to just get it removed and live with the meds,this way she will a constant flow of thyroid and wont be on a rollercoaster.

I would look into some mm4 from syntrax and stick with the meds she has.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
You get very tired with to much thyroid hormone also,Trust me I know from taking trimax and some t4.If her thyroid is all over the place maybe its better to just get it removed and live with the meds,this way she will a constant flow of thyroid and wont be on a rollercoaster.

I would look into some mm4 from syntrax and stick with the meds she has.
Your right, but it's pretty rare that it actually needs to be removed. Unless it has become autonomous or diseased, just the meds can fix it all. Like you say, metabolism is regulated very nice and predictably.

the Cardinal

Awards
My wife has hypo-thyroidism, and she does have a medication for it. But it is still very hard for her to lose weight with proper nutrition and cardio, and most fat loss supps tell you not to take them if you have a thyroid problem. (but I will say that she has used some before, so they don't hurt her) but regardless she still doesn't need to be taken those. So I was wondering if any of the "educated" here had any ideas as to what she might be able to take. or if anyone here has experience with hypothyroidism. Any input would be helpful THANKS
My suggestions involve bridging nutrition and supplementation:
1. Have her use 6 to 8 grams of CLA daily (it's cheap nowadays - NOW Foods sells .75 gram 180 capsules for around $17 and VPX sells 60 servings of 4.4 grams of liquid ThinFat for around $26);
2. Take a couple of grams of fish oil capsules daily; and
3. In the world of supplements, I'd suggest giving Avant Lab's Sesathin and Biotest's HotRox a try (you can read each companies' propaganda on the products, but I can say from personal experience they both do a good job of preventing fat gain, albeit by different mechanisms, as do CLA and and the fish oil extract).

My belief is that this approach can support her metabolism without: 1) interfering with her hormone replacement therapy, and 2) affecting negatively blood pressure and heart rate, while increasing her body's ability to fight fat accumulation and storage.

Finally, whatever you two decide, don't use any tiratricol products! While they can be great for weight loss if used properly by thyroid-healthy individuals, they tend to suppress natural thyroid hormone production while "on."

Last edited:
MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guglesterones may help a sluggish thryoid..

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

You feel tired regardless when taking these meds (at least most do) and I have workd with several people with hypothyroidism and in most cases it still comes down to diet. Supplemenets will not help unless your diet is right on so I would make sure that is right before considering any supplements.

T3/T4/Trimax, etc... all have negative effects on glycogen synthesis and storage and your diet needs to be adjusted to counter that. Generally increased carb intake and lower fat intake works very well with hyperthyroidism, especially with women.

Zaylonx

Awards
Figured i would chime in here considering i had thyroid cancer and had to have it removed...

Somethings ive learned along the way....

SOY is a big no no for us as it messes up the absorbtion of thyroid hormones...learned this the hard way...

most people do not feel well on t4 only supplementation....you need to switch to t4 + t3 to feel well. Some people work best on synthroid and cytomel others work best on armour thyroid. Ive been on both and can say without a doubt ive felt so much better, im currently on armour as its much cheaper.

Ive lost weight and i can say that diet definitly has to be in check, ive picked up lots of ideas off this board. Ive used fish oil and sesathin with good results. Ive tried chizled but it gave me heart palpatations and i think the gugglesterones were messing around with my blood work....

Calcium has to be taken apart from meds, so milk should be at least 2 hours away, supplements should be at least 4.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Zaylonx,
God bless you friend. It sounds as though you are a great resource to this topic. I've got to ask, your taking Armour as in the dessicated glandular extract? This is good if you have had your gland removed, but maybe not best for those that still have theirs.

Zaylonx

Awards
Dr. D,

Thanks for the compliment, there is a lot of misinformation when it comes to thyroid issues so im glad i can help.

You are correct armour = dissicated pig thyroid, which was the standard of care for years until synthroid came along and push it off the market. Gotta love pharmaceutical companies. Ive read mixed reports as to its better for people with a gland but have issues. One consistant theme that i have found is that what works for me does not work for everyone else, thats why if anyone has a problem you need to find a good endo who is willing to work with you to treat your symptoms and not your lab reports.

Either way, if you go the route of t3 you need to know that the half life of it is only about 10 hours, so whether you are taking cytomel or armour (thyrolar is the synthetic armour) you need to space your pills apart.

t4 has absorption issues, t3 does not...

Other things ive tried was taking the synthetics sublingual, tried it and it was an improvement...

Sublingual b12 (w/ folic acid) works for some people....

Ive only been on armour for a month now so not to much to report yet, only difference so far is my sleep cycle seems to be more normalized....

The have also recently revised what is considered hypothyroid and i believe now its a TSH > 3...

J_MAN

Awards
Well I definitely agree that her diet is key, like I said I "tried" to redo her diet and while it has been giving "some" positive results, I've been listening to some guys and reading more trying to figure correct or incorrect things for someone w/ hypothyroidism to eat. Do any of you have suggestions in this area or sites which I could read? and when I say her diet, it's not really a "set in stone hour by hour" type diet her work and school make that hard. So it's kind of hard for me to post it, I do realize that a diet of guidelines will not work as well as an exact diet but I'm trying to work with what I got.

and also from what I've learned thus far I believe she is being underdosed on her meds. Which will mess everything up. But of course I'm no doctor and like I said she's going in sometime next month so hopefully they will fix that.

Thanks again guys this is turning out to be very informative!

the Cardinal

Awards
and also from what I've learned thus far I believe she is being underdosed on her meds. Which will mess everything up. But of course I'm no doctor and like I said she's going in sometime next month so hopefully they will fix that.

Thanks again guys this is turning out to be very informative!
Interesting you should say this. Here's a recently published abstract that suggests the appropriate dose of replacement hormone better correlates with lean body mass vs. overall body weight, which I assume is the common way dosages are determined.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15483074

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
May I make a suggestion, going to one dr, is good but if your still unhappy, get a second opinion, I cant tell you how many I have been to due to this.......Even the top thyroid surgeon in my state, a total jerk but the best, so we shall see what he says next week, frustrating yes, but I guess I am saying don't give up till you get all the answers...ya know? As far as advice on places to go for diets, someone wrote me an awesome diet,I can forward a copy..........

Eating as many times as i was told was also hard for me as well, due to teaching school and therapies in the Am with little ones, can't very well say hold on while i eat this......LOL

I will say your wife is lucky to have you helping her.......!!!!!

J_MAN

Awards
Thanks a ton wranglegirl.. I'd love to see the diet. If you want you could PM it to me. or if it's easier PM me and I'll give you my e-mail.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I will pm it to you at some point this week, latest this weekend, trying to catch up on things, and with friends ( just getting home and settled, been away)