Ashwagandha

SSD77

Awards
I remember reading on here at one point or another that ashwagandha had some negative sides? I searched around and cant find answers, can anybody give me the 411 on this stuff. I used to use it along with rhodiola every morning and it made me feel great, just want as much info on it as possible since I wanna run it long term.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Not many sides associated with ashwaghanda except for diuresis.

SSD77

Awards
Not many sides associated with ashwaghanda except for diuresis.

Interesting, thanks mr coop. correct me if I'm wrong but I thought i read something that says it may decrease fertility? or do I have it confused with something else? My guess was it was always a great go to herb in the fertility/libido world.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
never heard of anyone having negative reaction to ashwa..
personally, i've been a fan for a long time.

only negative anecdote i find is an excerpt from wiki (and i question it's validity and veracity of ashwa as cause):

In two published clinical trials of W. somnifera, the side effects were not significantly different from those experienced by placebo-treated individuals.[13][23] A case report implicated ashwaganda as the cause of thyrotoxicosis in a 32-year old female who had taken ashwaganada extract capsules for symptoms of chronic fatigue.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Interesting, thanks mr coop. correct me if I'm wrong but I thought i read something that says it may decrease fertility? or do I have it confused with something else? My guess was it was always a great go to herb in the fertility/libido world.
It should increase fertility.

SSD77

Awards
never heard of anyone having negative reaction to ashwa..
personally, i've been a fan for a long time.

only negative anecdote i find is an excerpt from wiki (and i question it's validity and veracity of ashwa as cause):

In two published clinical trials of W. somnifera, the side effects were not significantly different from those experienced by placebo-treated individuals.[13][23] A case report implicated ashwaganda as the cause of thyrotoxicosis in a 32-year old female who had taken ashwaganada extract capsules for symptoms of chronic fatigue.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withania_somnifera
Excellent thanks snagency, I always felt it complimented rhodiola perfectly. I just wanted to be sure I covered all my bases before I run them again. on the days off I was gonna throw in Picamilon 150 and see how that goes too.

SSD77

Awards
Now can somone point me in the direction of a good brand ashwagandha ! hah. I always used NOW's but open to other options.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
if i remember correctly ashwagandha increase thyroid hormone production especially T4.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
if i remember correctly ashwagandha increase thyroid hormone production especially T4.
This effect was achieved with an HED of around 20g/day in humans. The issue with ashwaghanda is the consistently high doses required.