BCAA ratio

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. BCAA ratio


    Im lookin for opinions on what the best ratio is for BCAA's. Im buying powders in bulk and making it myself. I know you want more Leucine.; From my experience ive never noticed a difference anything more than 2:1:1. would there be any more benefit to doing something like 4:1:1


  2. there's benefit in every ratio if that was your question

  3. Higher ratio of leucine is preferable. I like an 8:1:1 ratio. You could always run leucine instead of a bcaa mix also. However, There is some research out there suggesting there's a need to have all three in a balanced ratio
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by sharperunner View Post
    Higher ratio of leucine is preferable. I like an 8:1:1 ratio. You could always run leucine instead of a bcaa mix also. However, There is some research out there suggesting there's a need to have all three in a balanced ratio
    How is 8:1:1 a balanced ratio ?

  5. No need for extra leucine or to supplement with it. It is abundant in food already.

  6. [QUOTE="3utcher"]
    How is 8:1:1 a balanced ratio ?[/QUOTE

    Meaning there's a set ratio(whether it be 2:1:1 or 8:1:1) instead of running leucine solo

  7. A couple years old but pretty good info about ratios.

    BCAA ratios

  8. Quote Originally Posted by 3utcher View Post
    there's benefit in every ratio if that was your question
    i meant what would be optimal for recovery and muscle growh

  9. You're going to get varying opinions on this. I've used leucine solo, eaa's, and every ratio of bcaa's at some point in time. Haven't had one that's jumped out at me that's much better than any other(unless we're talking taste). I think recovery is definitely better using any of them over not using them at all.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by machorox123 View Post
    i meant what would be optimal for recovery and muscle growh
    4:1:1 then

  11. I'll only use 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 but really dont notice a difference between them


  12. There is only a study backing 1 ratio, does that mean it is superior? By no means, it just means the others have not been studied.

  13. Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight of Leucine to maximize muscle protein synthesis. A lot of studies on BCAAs seem pretty dodgy to me unfortunately and personal experience seems to determine what people suggest.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by StackedCop View Post
    I'll only use 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 but really dont notice a difference between them
    same for me!

  15. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight to maximize muscle protein synthesis.
    lolwut

    4-5g of BCAA for a 90kg guy ?
    That's like nothing.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by 3utcher View Post
    lolwut

    4-5g of BCAA for a 90kg guy ?
    That's like nothing.
    Sorry I meant Leucine itself.

    Editing post now.

  17. 2:1:1 > every other marketed ratio
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  18. Quote Originally Posted by sharperunner
    Higher ratio of leucine is preferable. I like an 8:1:1 ratio. You could always run leucine instead of a bcaa mix also. However, There is some research out there suggesting there's a need to have all three in a balanced ratio
    Because leucine activate the Mtor pathway, I prefer a higher ratio in the bcaa blend.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by 808shredded

    Because leucine activate the Mtor pathway, I prefer a higher ratio in the bcaa blend.
    Glutamine in conjunction with leucine helps activate the mTORC1.

  20. Seems like a lot of people are reading the Modern BCAA write up.

  21. Interesting nonetheless.

  22. If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  23. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.
    Couldn't agree more


  24. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.
    Thats what im doing meng! buying my powders in bulk and mixing em. Ill prob just experiment sum more with different ratios.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.
    I honestly think this idea of leucine only or higher leucine blends is overrated and full of hype.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

  26. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Seems like a lot of people are reading the Modern BCAA write up.
    They're not the only ones who made the hype about mTOR and leucine effect on it.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I honestly think this idea of leucine only or higher leucine blends is overrated and full of hype.
    I know you feel that way after reading your back and forth with dinoiii back in the day. I personally think BCAAs/leucine/etc are mostly hype and premature extrapolations are being made from rat models with respect to actual body composition. But if I had to pick something, it would be leucine, pre-training, fasted
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  28. Alot of science behind the 8 to 1 ratio
    T2

  29. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    Alot of science behind the 8 to 1 ratio
    No, not really. But leucine, yes.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  30. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    Alot of science behind the 8 to 1 ratio
    Where?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  31. Quote Originally Posted by bolt10 View Post
    Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight of Leucine to maximize muscle protein synthesis. A lot of studies on BCAAs seem pretty dodgy to me unfortunately and personal experience seems to determine what people suggest.
    good to se ya, boltster.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I personally think BCAAs/leucine/etc are mostly hype and premature extrapolations are being made from rat models with respect to actual body composition. But if I had to pick something, it would be leucine, pre-training, fasted
    nice as always my friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    ZERO science behind the 8 to 1 ratio
    fixed for you.
    and the crowd that says 2:1:1 is the only ratio with tried and true studies behind it, is stretching the thin lines of truth as well.
    just because there are "studies" that have been done w/ 2:1:1 thru the yrs, does not make it the proven "best" or "optimal" route to go..

    experiment, and see if you can tell a difference yourself. (bet you cannot)
    then - go with your own preference.
    but: don't proclaim it to be the "be all/end all" of ratios please................

  32. If you eat a high protein diet there really is no need to supplement with extra leucine. It is the most abundant amino acid found in food.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    good to se ya, boltster.


    nice as always my friend.


    fixed for you.
    and the crowd that says 2:1:1 is the only ratio with tried and true studies behind it, is stretching the thin lines of truth as well.
    just because there are "studies" that have been done w/ 2:1:1 thru the yrs, does not make it the proven "best" or "optimal" route to go..

    experiment, and see if you can tell a difference yourself. (bet you cannot)
    then - go with your own preference.
    but: don't proclaim it to be the "be all/end all" of ratios please................
    yes, personally ive been on either monster amino or moden bcaas for the last 4 months and, both have a 8 to 1 ratio, i can guarantee positive results, to each their own...
    T2

  34. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    yes, personally ive been on either monster amino or moden bcaas for the last 4 months and, both have a 8 to 1 ratio, i can guarantee positive results, to each their own...
    This is the exact opposite of science: anecdote.

    The key, as I'm sure Usp labs agrees, is leucine. I would only be concerned about isl/val plasma depletion if my diet was low in protein (which it never should be) or if megadosing BCAAs.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  35. Ummm, was that a point? ?
    T2

  36. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    Ummm, was that a point? ?
    You mentioned something about a lot of science and we're waiting
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

  37. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    Ummm, was that a point? ?
    Yes, that was what us AMers call "a point." Care to say where I misspoke?
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

  38. Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    If you eat a high protein diet there really is no need to supplement with extra leucine. It is the most abundant amino acid found in food.
    I don't know if I necessarily agree with that.

    Leucine has been shown in numerous studies to stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

    Even while I'm on a full all out bulk where my protein is at 300g+ per day, I personally still see a vast improvement in performance and recovery with the use of BCAAs. Its hard to train without out them.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    Ummm, was that a point? ?
    scientifically speaking, yes.
    if you look up the defintion of "scientific analysis", and then look up the definiton of "anecdotal hypothesis", you may see the exact point that cooper is making re. your following statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by schroedes View Post
    yes, personally ive been on either monster amino or moden bcaas for the last 4 months and, both have a 8 to 1 ratio, i can guarantee positive results, to each their own...
    let's move on.



    Quote Originally Posted by Evan666 View Post
    Leucine has been shown in numerous studies to stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

    Even while I'm on a full all out bulk where my protein is at 300g+ per day, I personally still see a vast improvement in performance and recovery with the use of BCAAs.
    totally agree with the point you make here. (even if your screen name is scary)
    to all the ppl who think a protein-rich diet is all that is needed, ponder:
    it is hard to train on a full stomach, no? and the act of digestion is not only a time consuming process for the body to break down and glean those bcaas, but also creates other issues (directing bloodflow to gut for digestive purposes, rather than muscle tissue..etc)..
    so - is there not obvious value to leucine/bcaas in free form, when you want to utilize them (without other nutrients clouding the mix), immediately?

  40. Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    scientifically speaking, yes.
    if you look up the defintion of "scientific analysis", and then look up the definiton of "anecdotal hypothesis", you may see the exact point that cooper is making re. your following statement:


    let's move on.




    totally agree with the point you make here.
    to all the ppl who think a protein-rich diet is all that is needed, ponder:
    it is hard to train on a full stomach, no? and the act of digestion is not only a time consuming process for the body to break down and glean those bcaas, but also creates other issues (directing bloodflow to gut rather than muscle tissue, etc)..
    so - is there not obvious value to leucine/bcaas in free form, when you want to utilize them (without other nutrients clouding the mix), immediately?
    I see someone is no longer Confined to PP Logs . I like your train of thought !
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. optimal bcaa ratio and why?
    By allnatural923 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 05:30 AM
  2. Bcaa ratio
    By fame126 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
  3. BCAA Peak 12:1:1 ratio
    By cham in forum Supplements
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
  4. MuscleMeds Amino Decanate (10:1:1 BCAA ratio)
    By cham in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 12:04 AM
  5. BCAA ratios
    By Harry Manback in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Log in
Log in