BCAA ratio

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
Im lookin for opinions on what the best ratio is for BCAA's. Im buying powders in bulk and making it myself. I know you want more Leucine.; From my experience ive never noticed a difference anything more than 2:1:1. would there be any more benefit to doing something like 4:1:1

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
there's benefit in every ratio if that was your question

sharperunner

Awards
Higher ratio of leucine is preferable. I like an 8:1:1 ratio. You could always run leucine instead of a bcaa mix also. However, There is some research out there suggesting there's a need to have all three in a balanced ratio

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
Higher ratio of leucine is preferable. I like an 8:1:1 ratio. You could always run leucine instead of a bcaa mix also. However, There is some research out there suggesting there's a need to have all three in a balanced ratio
How is 8:1:1 a balanced ratio ?

sharperunner

Awards
You're going to get varying opinions on this. I've used leucine solo, eaa's, and every ratio of bcaa's at some point in time. Haven't had one that's jumped out at me that's much better than any other(unless we're talking taste). I think recovery is definitely better using any of them over not using them at all.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
There is only a study backing 1 ratio, does that mean it is superior? By no means, it just means the others have not been studied.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight of Leucine to maximize muscle protein synthesis. A lot of studies on BCAAs seem pretty dodgy to me unfortunately and personal experience seems to determine what people suggest.

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight to maximize muscle protein synthesis.
lolwut

4-5g of BCAA for a 90kg guy ?
That's like nothing.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2:1:1 > every other marketed ratio

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Because leucine activate the Mtor pathway, I prefer a higher ratio in the bcaa blend.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.

machorox123

machorox123

Awards
  • Established
If getting a ratio, go with 2:1:1. Otherwise just buy leucine. Anything > 4:1:1 is just wasted $$ on flavored leucine.
Thats what im doing meng! buying my powders in bulk and mixing em. Ill prob just experiment sum more with different ratios.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I honestly think this idea of leucine only or higher leucine blends is overrated and full of hype.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I honestly think this idea of leucine only or higher leucine blends is overrated and full of hype.
I know you feel that way after reading your back and forth with dinoiii back in the day. I personally think BCAAs/leucine/etc are mostly hype and premature extrapolations are being made from rat models with respect to actual body composition. But if I had to pick something, it would be leucine, pre-training, fasted

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
Alot of science behind the 8 to 1 ratio

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Not sure how much it matters besides getting 0.045g-0.06g per kg of body weight of Leucine to maximize muscle protein synthesis. A lot of studies on BCAAs seem pretty dodgy to me unfortunately and personal experience seems to determine what people suggest.
good to se ya, boltster. :)

I personally think BCAAs/leucine/etc are mostly hype and premature extrapolations are being made from rat models with respect to actual body composition. But if I had to pick something, it would be leucine, pre-training, fasted
nice as always my friend.

ZERO science behind the 8 to 1 ratio
fixed for you.
and the crowd that says 2:1:1 is the only ratio with tried and true studies behind it, is stretching the thin lines of truth as well.
just because there are "studies" that have been done w/ 2:1:1 thru the yrs, does not make it the proven "best" or "optimal" route to go..

experiment, and see if you can tell a difference yourself. (bet you cannot)
then - go with your own preference.
but: don't proclaim it to be the "be all/end all" of ratios please................

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you eat a high protein diet there really is no need to supplement with extra leucine. It is the most abundant amino acid found in food.

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
good to se ya, boltster. :)

nice as always my friend.

fixed for you.
and the crowd that says 2:1:1 is the only ratio with tried and true studies behind it, is stretching the thin lines of truth as well.
just because there are "studies" that have been done w/ 2:1:1 thru the yrs, does not make it the proven "best" or "optimal" route to go..

experiment, and see if you can tell a difference yourself. (bet you cannot)
then - go with your own preference.
but: don't proclaim it to be the "be all/end all" of ratios please................
yes, personally ive been on either monster amino or moden bcaas for the last 4 months and, both have a 8 to 1 ratio, i can guarantee positive results, to each their own...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
yes, personally ive been on either monster amino or moden bcaas for the last 4 months and, both have a 8 to 1 ratio, i can guarantee positive results, to each their own...
This is the exact opposite of science: anecdote.

The key, as I'm sure Usp labs agrees, is leucine. I would only be concerned about isl/val plasma depletion if my diet was low in protein (which it never should be) or if megadosing BCAAs.

Evan666

Evan666

Awards
If you eat a high protein diet there really is no need to supplement with extra leucine. It is the most abundant amino acid found in food.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with that.

Leucine has been shown in numerous studies to stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

Even while I'm on a full all out bulk where my protein is at 300g+ per day, I personally still see a vast improvement in performance and recovery with the use of BCAAs. Its hard to train without out them.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Ummm, was that a point? ?
scientifically speaking, yes.
if you look up the defintion of "scientific analysis", and then look up the definiton of "anecdotal hypothesis", you may see the exact point that cooper is making re. your following statement:
let's move on.

Leucine has been shown in numerous studies to stimulate muscle protein synthesis.

Even while I'm on a full all out bulk where my protein is at 300g+ per day, I personally still see a vast improvement in performance and recovery with the use of BCAAs.
totally agree with the point you make here. (even if your screen name is scary) :yikes:
to all the ppl who think a protein-rich diet is all that is needed, ponder:
it is hard to train on a full stomach, no? and the act of digestion is not only a time consuming process for the body to break down and glean those bcaas, but also creates other issues (directing bloodflow to gut for digestive purposes, rather than muscle tissue..etc)..
so - is there not obvious value to leucine/bcaas in free form, when you want to utilize them (without other nutrients clouding the mix), immediately?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
scientifically speaking, yes.
if you look up the defintion of "scientific analysis", and then look up the definiton of "anecdotal hypothesis", you may see the exact point that cooper is making re. your following statement:

let's move on.

totally agree with the point you make here.
to all the ppl who think a protein-rich diet is all that is needed, ponder:
it is hard to train on a full stomach, no? and the act of digestion is not only a time consuming process for the body to break down and glean those bcaas, but also creates other issues (directing bloodflow to gut rather than muscle tissue, etc)..
so - is there not obvious value to leucine/bcaas in free form, when you want to utilize them (without other nutrients clouding the mix), immediately?
I see someone is no longer Confined to PP Logs :). I like your train of thought :D!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8:1:1 for me....not because of any type of theory or hypothesis...but because I have been using BCAAs for 7 years straight and I can tell a noticeable difference on 8:1:1.

For me, 8:1:1 is anabolic, whereas 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 is anti-catabolic

Just because lower ratios have more research does not make them better...

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
8:1:1 for me....not because of any type of theory or hypothesis...but because I have been using BCAAs for 7 years straight and I can tell a noticeable difference on 8:1:1.

Interesting!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

That is certainly possible, given that higher leucine content obviously promotes anabolism, whereas isoleucine and particularly valine are prone to gluconeogenesis, especially in the context of a high protein diet. This would have a protein-sparing, anti-catabolic effect.

Evan666

Evan666

Awards
That is certainly possible, given that higher leucine content obviously promotes anabolism, whereas isoleucine and particularly valine are prone to gluconeogenesis, especially in the context of a high protein diet. This would have a protein-sparing, anti-catabolic effect.
Wow... I had no idea isoleucine and valine turned to glucose.

I need to give 8:1:1 ratio a shot.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agree with a lot of what's been posted here. 2:1:1 is the studied version and as a rule I generally like that. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the higher ratio Leucine wasn't partially because of the fact it was super cheap for a while and easily marketed as such, but who knows. I've seen absolutely zero difference in any ratio used or even really a difference from company to company on product.

And part of me leans towards T-bone's thinking even though I still use BCAA's frequently. Whey protein and the typical BB diet is going to get a ton of them in. Personally, I would use a bunch of other supplements before them if money is an issue, but I know a lot of people who feel the exact opposite on this.

Good discussion though and never something people can come to a consensus on.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agree with a lot of what's been posted here. 2:1:1 is the studied version and as a rule I generally like that. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the higher ratio Leucine wasn't partially because of the fact it was super cheap for a while and easily marketed as such, but who knows. I've seen absolutely zero difference in any ratio used or even really a difference from company to company on product.

And part of me leans towards T-bone's thinking even though I still use BCAA's frequently. Whey protein and the typical BB diet is going to get a ton of them in. Personally, I would use a bunch of other supplements before them if money is an issue, but I know a lot of people who feel the exact opposite on this.

Good discussion though and never something people can come to a consensus on.
What research on 2:1:1?

At 2:1:1, if you "MEGA dose" as most do to increase the leucine content, your valine and isoleucine content increases dramatically.

Our goal is supplying Leucine the star Amino without depleting the 2 other amino acids and contributing to glucose conversion while training.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No need for extra leucine or to supplement with it. It is abundant in food already.
Bolus Free form administration is much different than leucine from the protien digestion process.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
use during training and in between meal or if you are a vegetarian, never with a high protein meal.

sharperunner

Awards
After throwing up a few preworkout protein shakes(thanks to leg day), i consider bcaa's(regardless of ratios) a staple for pre......no one likes the fool vomiting in the corner

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Just because lower ratios have more research does not make them better...[/QUOTE

the leucine research trumps any 2:1:1 for our goals in the gym.

You are correct. Research is there for us to begin formulating a strategy, never is it absolute, but with time and experience, you find what is best for you.