BCAA ratio

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.79%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

8:1:1 for me....not because of any type of theory or hypothesis...but because I have been using BCAAs for 7 years straight and I can tell a noticeable difference on 8:1:1.

For me, 8:1:1 is anabolic, whereas 2:1:1 and 4:1:1 is anti-catabolic

Just because lower ratios have more research does not make them better...
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.61%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster
    8:1:1 for me....not because of any type of theory or hypothesis...but because I have been using BCAAs for 7 years straight and I can tell a noticeable difference on 8:1:1.

Interesting!
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  3. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post

That is certainly possible, given that higher leucine content obviously promotes anabolism, whereas isoleucine and particularly valine are prone to gluconeogenesis, especially in the context of a high protein diet. This would have a protein-sparing, anti-catabolic effect.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.77%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

That is certainly possible, given that higher leucine content obviously promotes anabolism, whereas isoleucine and particularly valine are prone to gluconeogenesis, especially in the context of a high protein diet. This would have a protein-sparing, anti-catabolic effect.
    Wow... I had no idea isoleucine and valine turned to glucose.

I need to give 8:1:1 ratio a shot.
  5. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.92%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Agree with a lot of what's been posted here. 2:1:1 is the studied version and as a rule I generally like that. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the higher ratio Leucine wasn't partially because of the fact it was super cheap for a while and easily marketed as such, but who knows. I've seen absolutely zero difference in any ratio used or even really a difference from company to company on product.

And part of me leans towards T-bone's thinking even though I still use BCAA's frequently. Whey protein and the typical BB diet is going to get a ton of them in. Personally, I would use a bunch of other supplements before them if money is an issue, but I know a lot of people who feel the exact opposite on this.

Good discussion though and never something people can come to a consensus on.
    EvoMuse Products Rep

PM me with any questions!
  6. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    Agree with a lot of what's been posted here. 2:1:1 is the studied version and as a rule I generally like that. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the higher ratio Leucine wasn't partially because of the fact it was super cheap for a while and easily marketed as such, but who knows. I've seen absolutely zero difference in any ratio used or even really a difference from company to company on product.

And part of me leans towards T-bone's thinking even though I still use BCAA's frequently. Whey protein and the typical BB diet is going to get a ton of them in. Personally, I would use a bunch of other supplements before them if money is an issue, but I know a lot of people who feel the exact opposite on this.

Good discussion though and never something people can come to a consensus on.
    What research on 2:1:1?

At 2:1:1, if you "MEGA dose" as most do to increase the leucine content, your valine and isoleucine content increases dramatically.

Our goal is supplying Leucine the star Amino without depleting the 2 other amino acids and contributing to glucose conversion while training.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    No need for extra leucine or to supplement with it. It is abundant in food already.
    Bolus Free form administration is much different than leucine from the protien digestion process.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    use during training and in between meal or if you are a vegetarian, never with a high protein meal.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.28%

After throwing up a few preworkout protein shakes(thanks to leg day), i consider bcaa's(regardless of ratios) a staple for pre......no one likes the fool vomiting in the corner
  10. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

[QUOTE=nattydisaster;3535209]8:1:1 for me....not because of any type of theory or hypothesis...but because I have been using BCAAs for 7 years straight and I can tell a noticeable difference on 8:1:1.

Just because lower ratios have more research does not make them better...[/QUOTE

the leucine research trumps any 2:1:1 for our goals in the gym.

You are correct. Research is there for us to begin formulating a strategy, never is it absolute, but with time and experience, you find what is best for you.
  11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.92%

Quote Originally Posted by USPowders View Post
    What research on 2:1:1?

At 2:1:1, if you "MEGA dose" as most do to increase the leucine content, your valine and isoleucine content increases dramatically.

Our goal is supplying Leucine the star Amino without depleting the 2 other amino acids and contributing to glucose conversion while training.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the studies showing BCAA's to be beneficial using the 2:1:1 ratio? Been a long time since I looked those up, but if I remember right. That's what people are talking about. No real studies that I remember for another ratio, but if you've got evidence of an 8:1:1 study maybe I missed it. I think you can find 10:1:1, and even 12:1:1 from some companies.

Leuicne is the cheapest of the three, or at least it was last I knew. Been a long ass time since I looked at any of that, price may have went up once everyone started throwing more leucine in the BCAA drinks?

The perfect ratio or the right ratio or whatever (similar to do you even need BCAA's) is one of those topics that seems to pop up on every board with high frequency. And no one ever agrees
    EvoMuse Products Rep

12. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the studies showing BCAA's to be beneficial using the 2:1:1 ratio? Been a long time since I looked those up, but if I remember right. That's what people are talking about. No real studies that I remember for another ratio, but if you've got evidence of an 8:1:1 study maybe I missed it. I think you can find 10:1:1, and even 12:1:1 from some companies.

Leuicne is the cheapest of the three, or at least it was last I knew. Been a long ass time since I looked at any of that, price may have went up once everyone started throwing more leucine in the BCAA drinks? 2:1:1 would be more expensive than a higher leucine ratio content.
    Price has nothing to do wiith research but with that said, Leucine is the most expensive.

The research we're interested in is protein synthesis and it's on leucine.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.92%

Price has nothing to do wiith research but with that said, Leucine is the most expensive.
    I know this used the be the opposite case, but again probably changed once everyone started throwing a lot more leucine in everything. Supply/demand and the like
    EvoMuse Products Rep

14. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

I know this used the be the opposite case, but again probably changed once everyone started throwing a lot more leucine in everything. Supply/demand and the like
    that is the case...We can blame the research for the rise.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

that is the case...We can blame the research for the rise.
    or marketing, perhaps?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.81%

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    or marketing, perhaps?
    If you like to extend that compliment, I'll take it but that's giving too much credit. The research is very clear on leucine.
  17. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.44%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

If you like to extend that compliment, I'll take it but that's giving too much credit. The research is very clear on leucine.
    oh i don't disagree. i have used leucine (bcaas and full-spectrum aminos as well) for a very long time now, as you know.
    huge fan.

and i didn't mean it as your marketing per se, simply the industry in general.

i will however compliment you on modern bcaas..solid product.
  18. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.32%

Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0
    oh i don't disagree. i have used leucine (bcaas and full-spectrum aminos as well) for a very long time now, as you know.
    huge fan.

and i didn't mean it as your marketing per se, simply the industry in general.

i will however compliment you on modern bcaas..solid product.
    I have increased my leucine content in my diet also, taking more modern bcaas pre workout, I can say it is a strength builder and faster recovery. I know it works because that is the only variable in my diet that I have changed. Thanks Usp powders for bulk bcaa's )

Similar Forum Threads

1. optimal bcaa ratio and why?
    By allnatural923 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM
  2. Bcaa ratio
    By fame126 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
  3. BCAA Peak 12:1:1 ratio
    By cham in forum Supplements
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
  4. MuscleMeds Amino Decanate (10:1:1 BCAA ratio)
    By cham in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 01:04 AM
  5. BCAA ratios
    By Harry Manback in forum Supplements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 02:33 AM