Thoughts on pre-intra workout formulas to limit cortisol

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Chaps,

I resume training in a couple of weeks after taking a 10 week break to recover from weakened adrenals. The break has had the desired effect and I'm now feeling completely recovered. However I can only train in the morning and don't have time to eat beforehand. What are my options for minimising cortisol release, bearing in mind that fasted training contributed to my adrenal crash a few months ago. Compete looks like a solid formula, but would it be enough to keep cortisol at bay? Would 20g dextrose intra-workout be a better option? All thought welcome.

Thanks,

S.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Chaps,

I resume training in a couple of weeks after taking a 10 week break to recover from weakened adrenals. The break has had the desired effect and I'm now feeling completely recovered. However I can only train in the morning and don't have time to eat beforehand. What are my options for minimising cortisol release, bearing in mind that fasted training contributed to my adrenal crash a few months ago. Compete looks like a solid formula, but would it be enough to keep cortisol at bay? Would 20g dextrose intra-workout be a better option? All thought welcome.

Thanks,

S.
How long are your workouts, how Much rest between sets, and how much volume and intensity

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Chaps,

Thanks,

S.
Also I use compete intra but not for those reasons and I enjoy it. I don't think you should worry about the fasted training too much as there are many people here who do IF and train fasted with no problems so it shouldn't make much of a difference at all.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Jim. I trained fasted for years without too much of a problem, but then earlier this year due to a combined effect with other stressors I screwed my adrenals. So whilst for a normal healthy person fasted training may not cause too much of an issue, for someone in my condition it can cause problems. For example, I tried fasted training a few months ago and I felt it set back my recovery to strengthen my adrenals.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Thanks Jim. I trained fasted for years without too much of a problem, but then earlier this year due to a combined effect with other stressors I screwed my adrenals. So whilst for a normal healthy person fasted training may not cause too much of an issue, for someone in my condition it can cause problems. For example, I tried fasted training a few months ago and I felt it set back my recovery to strengthen my adrenals.
Was this something to do with excessive stimulants or?

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Vitamin C

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My question to you is does he really need something to block cortisol? Vitamin C would work but does it matter enough to actually use it?
It's debatable. Periods of fasting do result in heightened cortisol though, and training in general results in the same. It's cheap enough to regulate it so I just say better safe than sorry.
He also wouldn't want to completely block cortisol, since some cortisol is needed for FFA circulation.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
It's debatable. Periods of fasting do result in heightened cortisol though, and training in general results in the same. It's cheap enough to regulate it so I just say better safe than sorry.
He also wouldn't want to completely block cortisol, since some cortisol is needed for FFA circulation.
Thanks mate. I'm sure I've heard someone state vitamin C only benefits endurance athletes when it comes to cort control. I have read the carbohydrates limit cort release during training.

uvawahoowa

Awards
Chaps,

Thanks,

S.
I would think bcaas would help. You could have a whey/carb shake upon waking