Thoughts on pre-intra workout formulas to limit cortisol

1. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.25%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Thoughts on pre-intra workout formulas to limit cortisol

Chaps,

I resume training in a couple of weeks after taking a 10 week break to recover from weakened adrenals. The break has had the desired effect and I'm now feeling completely recovered. However I can only train in the morning and don't have time to eat beforehand. What are my options for minimising cortisol release, bearing in mind that fasted training contributed to my adrenal crash a few months ago. Compete looks like a solid formula, but would it be enough to keep cortisol at bay? Would 20g dextrose intra-workout be a better option? All thought welcome.

Thanks,

S.

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Quote Originally Posted by saggy321
    Chaps,

I resume training in a couple of weeks after taking a 10 week break to recover from weakened adrenals. The break has had the desired effect and I'm now feeling completely recovered. However I can only train in the morning and don't have time to eat beforehand. What are my options for minimising cortisol release, bearing in mind that fasted training contributed to my adrenal crash a few months ago. Compete looks like a solid formula, but would it be enough to keep cortisol at bay? Would 20g dextrose intra-workout be a better option? All thought welcome.

Thanks,

S.
    How long are your workouts, how Much rest between sets, and how much volume and intensity
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Chaps,

Thanks,

S.
    Also I use compete intra but not for those reasons and I enjoy it. I don't think you should worry about the fasted training too much as there are many people here who do IF and train fasted with no problems so it shouldn't make much of a difference at all.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.25%

Thanks Jim. I trained fasted for years without too much of a problem, but then earlier this year due to a combined effect with other stressors I screwed my adrenals. So whilst for a normal healthy person fasted training may not cause too much of an issue, for someone in my condition it can cause problems. For example, I tried fasted training a few months ago and I felt it set back my recovery to strengthen my adrenals.
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Thanks Jim. I trained fasted for years without too much of a problem, but then earlier this year due to a combined effect with other stressors I screwed my adrenals. So whilst for a normal healthy person fasted training may not cause too much of an issue, for someone in my condition it can cause problems. For example, I tried fasted training a few months ago and I felt it set back my recovery to strengthen my adrenals.
    Was this something to do with excessive stimulants or?
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Vitamin C
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.46%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM
    Vitamin C
    My question to you is does he really need something to block cortisol? Vitamin C would work but does it matter enough to actually use it?
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.32%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Jim2542

My question to you is does he really need something to block cortisol? Vitamin C would work but does it matter enough to actually use it?
    It's debatable. Periods of fasting do result in heightened cortisol though, and training in general results in the same. It's cheap enough to regulate it so I just say better safe than sorry.
    He also wouldn't want to completely block cortisol, since some cortisol is needed for FFA circulation.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  9. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.25%

Quote Originally Posted by FL3X MAGNUM View Post
    It's debatable. Periods of fasting do result in heightened cortisol though, and training in general results in the same. It's cheap enough to regulate it so I just say better safe than sorry.
    He also wouldn't want to completely block cortisol, since some cortisol is needed for FFA circulation.
    Thanks mate. I'm sure I've heard someone state vitamin C only benefits endurance athletes when it comes to cort control. I have read the carbohydrates limit cort release during training.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.96%

Chaps,

Thanks,

S.
    I would think bcaas would help. You could have a whey/carb shake upon waking

Similar Forum Threads

1. thoughs on my intra workout shake
    By luelinks in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
  3. Pre-Intra Workout Drink Formulation
    By scottyc33 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 09:45 AM
  4. Replies: 1