Supplement Advice: Too much or not enough?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Banned
    Stroke UR Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    359
    Answers
    0


    Nootropics boost cognitive function (learning/mathematic skills/unstanding etc.. are improved) and usually play as anti-oxidants and neuroprotectors

    Nootropic, "Nootropics, also referred to as smart drugs, memory enhancers, neuro enhancers, cognitive enhancers, and intelligence enhancers, are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration."

    Long term use is somewhat necessary to feel effect

  2. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Stroke UR Ego
    Nootropics boost cognitive function (learning/mathematic skills/unstanding etc.. are improved) and usually play as anti-oxidants and neuroprotectors

    Nootropic, "Nootropics, also referred to as smart drugs, memory enhancers, neuro enhancers, cognitive enhancers, and intelligence enhancers, are drugs, supplements, nutraceuticals, and functional foods that improve mental functions such as cognition, memory, intelligence, motivation, attention, and concentration."

    Long term use is somewhat necessary to feel effect
    Hey, I'm familiar with nootropics, but when I asked you to elaborate I was wondering how they might help me on my path to recomposition. At least, that's how I read your first recommendation for nootropics - that they might somehow aid the process.
  3. Registered User
    aLinux's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    108
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
    Hey, thanks for your thoughts on and experience with supplements. I am planning on cycling the majority of what I have begun taking.

    I am wondering which BCAAs you would recommend - brand name, amount?
    Optimum Nutrition 5000 (5g BCAA) or Xtend BCAA (better tasting if you can't stomach unflavored ON stuff)

    I live in Canada so I tend to purchase what I can over here to save on Shipping costs..but typically most people go for at least 5g BCAA a serving (at various ratios...i don't care...I've never noticed a difference..I don't even know it BCAAs work lol). Some hard-core junkies will use up-to 30g daily. But you have to take into account that you might be already be getting enough from your diet and Whey powders alone. I myself use MVP Power Mass Leangainer Whey powder which contains 12g BCAAs per serving plus I use there (Revive Recovery Agent which contains another 5g BCAAs) but I only use Revive after my liftin weight workouts (3 days wk). An (MVP: Power Mass) equivalent for USA would be (Ultimate Nutrition: ISO Mass Xtreme (I love this stuff cept sum ppl cant take the fishy smell), but it has an almost exact same profile as MVP with loads of BCAAs, Creatine, Glutamine, Healthy Fats, Multi-Vitamin, etc... so basically I don't even need extra BCAAs..but I take them anyhow... plus BCAAs supposedly help stimulate fat-loss... building/keeping more muscle... means less fat they say. I started out at 236lbs 25-30% fat ..went thru countless Whey powders, etc .. and these two really made the best difference for myself. Diet is still King.. w/o it nothing is gonna budge and yes there geared towards hard-gainers but I still say I was big and fatty but still classify myself as a hard-gainer for muscle...so once I had my diet spot on (mostly pure vegan at this point) i dropped to 179lbs fast doing a crazy 900-1200calories daily ...When I was happy with that...I was weak and scrawny as hell..but down to 11-12% fat... Finally I started on Whey powders... raised myself to maintenance 2500+ clean calories but now including extra lean turkey,chicken, Salmon and Sole plus all veggies/fruits, Sweet Potatoes, eggs, Non Fat Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese and Milk, etc.. all the crap I didn't want to eat...but I feel better than ever and i managed to get back to 190lbs pretty easily..but i dropped to 9-10% fat..which was unreal for me.. I eat the exact same thing everyday for last 2 yrs to maintain
    and just recently..had to try some GMO doritos and ice cream.. so i gained another 8lbs ..but at a 12-13% expense ..but hey.. its far cry coming from 25% : ) so it can be done ! ..sorry for long winded post..im like my sister.. we go on forever (off topic lol)..i cant stand readin her long crap neither..haha
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    Stroke UR Ego's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    359
    Answers
    0


    lol, neah just something to add..
  5. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by aLinux

    Optimum Nutrition 5000 (5g BCAA) or Xtend BCAA (better tasting if you can't stomach unflavored ON stuff)

    I live in Canada so I tend to purchase what I can over here to save on Shipping costs..but typically most people go for at least 5g BCAA a serving (at various ratios...i don't care...I've never noticed a difference..I don't even know it BCAAs work lol). Some hard-core junkies will use up-to 30g daily. But you have to take into account that you might be already be getting enough from your diet and Whey powders alone. I myself use MVP Power Mass Leangainer Whey powder which contains 12g BCAAs per serving plus I use there (Revive Recovery Agent which contains another 5g BCAAs) but I only use Revive after my liftin weight workouts (3 days wk). An (MVP: Power Mass) equivalent for USA would be (Ultimate Nutrition: ISO Mass Xtreme (I love this stuff cept sum ppl cant take the fishy smell), but it has an almost exact same profile as MVP with loads of BCAAs, Creatine, Glutamine, Healthy Fats, Multi-Vitamin, etc... so basically I don't even need extra BCAAs..but I take them anyhow... plus BCAAs supposedly help stimulate fat-loss... building/keeping more muscle... means less fat they say. I started out at 236lbs 25-30% fat ..went thru countless Whey powders, etc .. and these two really made the best difference for myself. Diet is still King.. w/o it nothing is gonna budge and yes there geared towards hard-gainers but I still say I was big and fatty but still classify myself as a hard-gainer for muscle...so once I had my diet spot on (mostly pure vegan at this point) i dropped to 179lbs fast doing a crazy 900-1200calories daily ...When I was happy with that...I was weak and scrawny as hell..but down to 11-12% fat... Finally I started on Whey powders... raised myself to maintenance 2500+ clean calories but now including extra lean turkey,chicken, Salmon and Sole plus all veggies/fruits, Sweet Potatoes, eggs, Non Fat Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese and Milk, etc.. all the crap I didn't want to eat...but I feel better than ever and i managed to get back to 190lbs pretty easily..but i dropped to 9-10% fat..which was unreal for me.. I eat the exact same thing everyday for last 2 yrs to maintain
    and just recently..had to try some GMO doritos and ice cream.. so i gained another 8lbs ..but at a 12-13% expense ..but hey.. its far cry coming from 25% : ) so it can be done ! ..sorry for long winded post..im like my sister.. we go on forever (off topic lol)..i cant stand readin her long crap neither..haha
    Hey, thanks for the recommendations I'll check out the ON BCAAs. And, congratulations on your body recomposition!
  6. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Stroke UR Ego
    lol, neah just something to add..
    Cool, I thought I had missed something huge.
  7. Registered User
    bigbb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    356
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17

    Cool, I thought I had missed something huge.
    I would suggest a 12:1:1 bcaa ratio. Topical spiro was indeed effective for me, some people report side effects, I have not experienced any. In my opinion, once you finish what you have for supplements, stick the following. There is so much stuff out there that just looks so cool, it's tempting, but make no mistake supplements can be physiologically addicting. Stick to the proven basics, trust me, half the stuff out there is crap.

    Ok here we go:

    1. Creatine, I perfer magnesium Creatine chelate over mono, no stomach issues
    2. Beta alanine
    3.whey protein
    4. Fat burner like oep
    5.bcaa
    6. ZMA love it or hate it I find it works
    7. Erase and DAA, your not some 20 year old
    Kid and propecia has probably done a number on your hormone balance, so I think it will be rather effective for you
    8. Fishoil and a b-complex
    9. Libido supplements like maca are fine but trib Is garbage. Get yourself some 40%percent icariin. If you must and you will notice a difference in erection quality that is for sure
    10. Since you are recomping a good GDA like slin sane or glycobol could be beneficiall

    I reiterate fight the temptation for endless supplements and once you come off propecia and your body restores your natural hormone levels watch the magic happen in the gym and in the bedroom, that is the best advice I can give you.
  8. Registered User
    Wilcox's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    61
    Answers
    0


    Now thats ALOT of supps!
  9. Registered User
    beast87's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    33
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
    Hey, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out - this was incredibly clear!

    I have concerns about ephedra... I realize that DMAA has issues too, but I just stocked up on OEP. And, I am looking into your other recommendations too. As for Fish Oil, I am looking for a vegetarian equivalent. Have you heard of anything that might be a good vegetarian substitute? I am looking at the "Total EFA by Health from the Sun."

    Thanks again!
    Flax seed is and Flax extract is probably the best- It has more of all the omegas than fish oil has anyway so its a better way to control your triglycerides and cholesterol. Its also a heck of of alot easier to scoop in a tablespoon of milled flax into greek yogurt or into your protein than to choke down some of those damn ostrich eggs for pills.
  10. Registered User
    beast87's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    33
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
    Hey, Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out - this was incredibly clear!

    I have concerns about ephedra... I realize that DMAA has issues too, but I just stocked up on OEP. And, I am looking into your other recommendations too. As for Fish Oil, I am looking for a vegetarian equivalent. Have you heard of anything that might be a good vegetarian substitute? I am looking at the "Total EFA by Health from the Sun."

    Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by beast87 View Post
    Flax seed is and Flax extract is probably the best- It has more of all the omegas than fish oil has anyway so its a better way to control your triglycerides and cholesterol. Its also a heck of of alot easier to scoop in a tablespoon of milled flax into greek yogurt or into your protein than to choke down some of those damn ostrich eggs for pills.
    sorry for the back to back posts but my prework out is a double dose of ON 5000 BCAAs and a scoop of BSN HyperFX about 15-20 Pre-WO and I love it.
  11. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbb123 View Post
    I would suggest a 12:1:1 bcaa ratio. Topical spiro was indeed effective for me, some people report side effects, I have not experienced any. In my opinion, once you finish what you have for supplements, stick the following. There is so much stuff out there that just looks so cool, it's tempting, but make no mistake supplements can be physiologically addicting. Stick to the proven basics, trust me, half the stuff out there is crap.

    Ok here we go:

    1. Creatine, I perfer magnesium Creatine chelate over mono, no stomach issues
    2. Beta alanine
    3.whey protein
    4. Fat burner like oep
    5.bcaa
    6. ZMA love it or hate it I find it works
    7. Erase and DAA, your not some 20 year old
    Kid and propecia has probably done a number on your hormone balance, so I think it will be rather effective for you
    8. Fishoil and a b-complex
    9. Libido supplements like maca are fine but trib Is garbage. Get yourself some 40%percent icariin. If you must and you will notice a difference in erection quality that is for sure
    10. Since you are recomping a good GDA like slin sane or glycobol could be beneficiall

    I reiterate fight the temptation for endless supplements and once you come off propecia and your body restores your natural hormone levels watch the magic happen in the gym and in the bedroom, that is the best advice I can give you.
    Hey, Thanks for the straightforward advice. I appreciate it! You mentioned a 12:1:1 - I imagine the Leucine is the 12, but which brand has this ratio? Inner Armour? Since I am only familiar with whey isolates and such, do you think it might be wise if I were to start out with the Bulk Modern 8:1:1 that I might be able to get a "feel" for them and then jump in for the 12:1:1? Also, thank you for the GDA recommendations! Between Slin Sane V2 and glycobol, which do you think I should go for? Glycobol has more NaRALA per serving. Maybe this is another case of more is not always better?
  12. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Wilcox View Post
    Now thats ALOT of supps!
    Perhaps, but it is far fewer than what I am currently taking... So, it's a step in the right direction.
  13. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbb123 View Post
    I would suggest a 12:1:1 bcaa ratio. Topical spiro was indeed effective for me, some people report side effects, I have not experienced any. In my opinion, once you finish what you have for supplements, stick the following. There is so much stuff out there that just looks so cool, it's tempting, but make no mistake supplements can be physiologically addicting. Stick to the proven basics, trust me, half the stuff out there is crap.

    Ok here we go:

    1. Creatine, I perfer magnesium Creatine chelate over mono, no stomach issues
    2. Beta alanine
    3.whey protein
    4. Fat burner like oep
    5.bcaa
    6. ZMA love it or hate it I find it works
    7. Erase and DAA, your not some 20 year old
    Kid and propecia has probably done a number on your hormone balance, so I think it will be rather effective for you
    8. Fishoil and a b-complex
    9. Libido supplements like maca are fine but trib Is garbage. Get yourself some 40%percent icariin. If you must and you will notice a difference in erection quality that is for sure
    10. Since you are recomping a good GDA like slin sane or glycobol could be beneficiall

    I reiterate fight the temptation for endless supplements and once you come off propecia and your body restores your natural hormone levels watch the magic happen in the gym and in the bedroom, that is the best advice I can give you.
    Totally forgot to ask: Do you crush Spiro and add it to your minoxidil? If not, what method/brand did you find effective?
  14. Banned
    WARBIRDWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,134
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17

    Hey, thanks for the advice. I have ordered 10% azelaic acid. Should I have gone for the 20%? Also I ordered Regenepure instead of Nizoral. I have the minoxidil, but I have heard mixed reviews on spiro. Have you noticed it makes/made a difference?
    I use the 5% minoxidil and Azelaic acid combo and sometimes the topical spiro ....with the 2% nizoral . These come in 60ml bottles with spray or dropper tops. From wholesale hair products. I use them as a preventative measure....so can't comment on regrowth but they seem to reduce shedding
  15. Registered User
    bigbb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    356
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
    Hey, Thanks for the straightforward advice. I appreciate it! You mentioned a 12:1:1 - I imagine the Leucine is the 12, but which brand has this ratio? Inner Armour? Since I am only familiar with whey isolates and such, do you think it might be wise if I were to start out with the Bulk Modern 8:1:1 that I might be able to get a "feel" for them and then jump in for the 12:1:1? Also, thank you for the GDA recommendations! Between Slin Sane V2 and glycobol, which do you think I should go for? Glycobol has more NaRALA per serving. Maybe this is another case of more is not always better?
    I have only used the original slin sane and glycobol, tbh i liked glycobol much better. The whole isolate vs concentrate is another thing that is subject to much debate. I just concentrate, its cheaper, works fine, imo protein is protein no need to complicate things further. As for the BCAA bulk modern is a great product, you can even get some straight leucine and add it to your bulk modern if so inclined. Furthermore, id like you to post a detailed writeup of your EXACT goals, diet, and training program, if you feel like sharing it of course. I think we will be better able to assist you in achieving your goals.

    A final word: You mentioned in your initial post that your life has been somewhat stressful, eliminate the stress. Stress will destroy your gains in gym, add bodyfat, its just a mess. Take up boxing, thats what i did, youl melt fat off and leave it all in the gym. Youd be surprised how your body will react to less stress in your life. I get my spiro from wholesale like the above poster mentioned, its liquid.
  16. Registered User
    bigbb123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    356
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Orion17 View Post
    Hey, I'm familiar with nootropics, but when I asked you to elaborate I was wondering how they might help me on my path to recomposition. At least, that's how I read your first recommendation for nootropics - that they might somehow aid the process.
    They will increase your focus in the gym and other tasks, but im not sure if they will have any direct recomp effects.
  17. Registered User
    Orion17's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    37
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by bigbb123 View Post
    I have only used the original slin sane and glycobol, tbh i liked glycobol much better. The whole isolate vs concentrate is another thing that is subject to much debate. I just concentrate, its cheaper, works fine, imo protein is protein no need to complicate things further. As for the BCAA bulk modern is a great product, you can even get some straight leucine and add it to your bulk modern if so inclined. Furthermore, id like you to post a detailed writeup of your EXACT goals, diet, and training program, if you feel like sharing it of course. I think we will be better able to assist you in achieving your goals.

    A final word: You mentioned in your initial post that your life has been somewhat stressful, eliminate the stress. Stress will destroy your gains in gym, add bodyfat, its just a mess. Take up boxing, thats what i did, youl melt fat off and leave it all in the gym. Youd be surprised how your body will react to less stress in your life. I get my spiro from wholesale like the above poster mentioned, its liquid.
    Hey, I had to leave town for the week to help with a family matter... I will post my goals, diet, and training regimen as soon as I return home. I had thought about posting some of these earlier, but thought I should maybe put them in a different forum?

    Also, thanks for the idea about simply adding leucine to the Bulk Modern - Great Idea!

    As for the stress, teaching is stressful. I hear you on reducing it and thanks for your advice/concern... I am optimistic that this year will be better; however, teaching in a public school has its challenges. I had been thinking about doing CrossFit, but I may not be able to work that into my schedule this semester.
  18. Registered User
    aLinux's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Age
    42
    Posts
    108
    Answers
    0


    In reply to "I am wondering which BCAAs you would recommend - brand name, amount?"
    Scivation Xtend - 1 scoop on w/o days = 7grams BCAAs, if your in Canada another really
    good one is Revive Recovery X2 Agent when its on sale is OK stuff, too. Sorry for the
    late reply, this board doesn't e-mail when there's a reply.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. hypo after pwo meal, too many carbs or not enough?
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
  3. Biceps too much or just right?
    By HITLIST in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
  4. too much or not enough protein??
    By R_Alan1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
  5. Too much, just right, or not enough...?
    By 5111 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in