MLB Player Dies from Ephedra

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Well I wouldnt blame fat people for the epehdrine ban. At least they're making an attempt to do something about their weight problem, and our society revolves around a 'miracle pill', wanting to lose weight overnight. But think about how many more people die in a years time from cardiovascular disease, obese related heart attacks and strokes, and other diseases directly linked to being over weight. These numbers are far greater than those that die from an ephedrine overdose.
    This guy didnt die because he was overweight, he died for the ignorance of himself and the people around him. As harsh as it may sound, its your responsibility and the responsibility of the athletic trainer involved to insure you're properly hydrated, he wasnt. In combination with ephedrine, that probably did kill him. Ephedrines fault, hell no, want to blame someone? Blame him and his ATC. People look for a chemical or someone else to blame in a tragedy, when in fact, it was his fault and his fault alone.

2. I agree with you 100% YJ.

My dad and I were just having a talk about this whole shin-dig (Player dying) and he said, "yeah, the media is ****ing clueless, all they hear is 'ephedra' and do not want to know about any of the other extenuating circumstances."

one of my dad's sayings is "better health through better chemistry"....

at least he agrees with me on this issue

LG.
    Read This Book!!: Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete by William N. Taylor M.D.
    •   

3. Here's some facts for you

The effects of ephedrine are like those of amphetamines, also known as speed, and for some they can be deadly. Ephedrine can raise one's heart rate and blood pressure, so people with heart conditions and high blood pressure are warned against taking it. According to FDA records obtained by the watchdog group Public Citizen, ephedrine was linked to 32 heart attacks, 69 strokes, and altogether 81 deaths from 1993 to 2000. In June 2002, the group claimed that more than 100 ephedrine-related deaths had been reported to the FDA.
    81 deaths in 7 years. 11.5 deaths a year. Doesnt seem like a lot , but consider how many of these people had pre-existing conditions that contributed to these deaths, how easy it is to blame a pill.. ..pathetic.

4. For the media, its all about hitting the hot button. Once they heard ephedra was found, they took it and ran. I would bet $10 he also had ibuprofen in his locker. But we won't talk about that now will we. Bottom line is the bottom line. You can buy ephedrine here in canada for $10, caffeine for $9 and aspirin for another 10. Thats $30 for a 1 month supply of a proven effective weight loss supplement. Lets not start with the price for a 1 month supply of xenical or orlistat. Hell look how much fibrates or bromo costs. And, to my knowledge, the only double-blind, placebo-controlled studies done on the safety of ephedra show that it is safe when taken AS DIRECTED.

5. Originally posted by YellowJacket
    Yea, Id be all over his ATC for not properly hydrating him instead of using ephedra as a scapegoat and an easy resolution for a death that should have been prevented.
    WTF was his coach doing letting him get in this state? If I were training anyone who was in this situation, I'd be going ape**** if they turned up without eating, let alone not hydrating properly.
    What the hell do these people get paid for? This stuff ain't rocket science - blaming ephedra may deflect the attention for a while, but someone's head needs to roll for this.
    A couple of times I've trained people who haven't eaten, - a couple of minutes into a workout is enough to spot this - I bin them on the spot. I've seen people collapse in a gym because of not eating properly (obese who want to lose weight) and basically just shoved the lucozade down their neck - heat on top of this is bound to be the end of someone who is out of shape.
    Just add my rantings and ravings to the list here
    •   

6. Originally posted by YellowJacket
    As harsh as it may sound, its your responsibility and the responsibility of the athletic trainer involved to insure you're properly hydrated, he wasnt. In combination with ephedrine, that probably did kill him. Ephedrines fault, hell no, want to blame someone? Blame him and his ATC. People look for a chemical or someone else to blame in a tragedy, when in fact, it was his fault and his fault alone.
    I dont think it sounds harsh at all. It sounds more like personal responsibility (oh, god, here I go again). Another post quoted statistics about supposed ephedrine related deaths. I wonder how many people died because health related problems with being obese because they couldnt or wouldnt control themselves...quit smoking...i get sooo sick of hearing folks complain about this or that and never take responsibility for themselves. then if they take something like ephedrine, now all the sudden its the supps fault! no matter they spent 10 years stuffin their face...

ok, rants over...

7. the problem that we have here, is most of us expect people to take even a minute amount of responsibility

8. In America you do not have to take ANY responsibilty for your actions whatsoever. You shouldn't have to, right? Just go through life with your head in the clouds running redlights ("-I- didn't see the redlight, it's the other guys fault for not watching for me!!") spilling coffee on our laps while claiming that you didn't know the coffee was even hot, I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. There is a lack of common sense and accountability in this sue-happy society which causes us all to pay for the stupidity of any random person who manages to do something COMPLETELY stupid and sues. Why else would we have warning labels on our grocery bags?
    Bleh, this gets on my nerves. People can't follow directions and it's the pill's fault. You can OD on anything, and if something is known to be risky to use such as ephedra it would behoove you to follow the damn directions. It's not THAT hard.

9. Originally posted by Talon
    In America you do not have to take ANY responsibilty for your actions whatsoever. You shouldn't have to, right? Just go through life with your head in the clouds running redlights ("-I- didn't see the redlight, it's the other guys fault for not watching for me!!&quot spilling coffee on our laps while claiming that you didn't know the coffee was even hot, I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. There is a lack of common sense and accountability in this sue-happy society which causes us all to pay for the stupidity of any random person who manages to do something COMPLETELY stupid and sues. Why else would we have warning labels on our grocery bags?
    Bleh, this gets on my nerves. People can't follow directions and it's the pill's fault. You can OD on anything, and if something is known to be risky to use such as ephedra it would behoove you to follow the damn directions. It's not THAT hard.
    Praise the lord! Preach it
  10. Nelson

Bechler`s History

About Bechler:
    * he had a history of borderline high blood pressure;
    * he also had liver abnormalities detected two years ago but not diagnosed;
    * it was warm, humid weather during the workout when he became ill Sunday;
    * he was on a diet & hadn`t eaten much solid food the previous two days;
    * family & Orioles officials said he took 3 tablets each morning of Xenadrine RFA-1.

11. 3 xenadrines would have me bouncing off the walls.

I'm 18 and in great health....I wonder what it did to him?

LG.

PS: They cant sue Cytodyne because he was taking too many (actualy dose should be 2) at one time.
    Read This Book!!: Anabolic Steroids and the Athlete by William N. Taylor M.D.

12. Well 3 to him probably isnt insane, considering he's well over 200lbs, weight certainly plays a factor in dose. Also, they said he hadnt been eating properly, my guess is starving himself, so 3 on an empty stomach would light anyone's ass up....

13. Originally posted by Talon
    In America you do not have to take ANY responsibilty for your actions whatsoever. You shouldn't have to, right? Just go through life with your head in the clouds running redlights ("-I- didn't see the redlight, it's the other guys fault for not watching for me!!&quot spilling coffee on our laps while claiming that you didn't know the coffee was even hot, I could go on and on but I think I've made my point. There is a lack of common sense and accountability in this sue-happy society which causes us all to pay for the stupidity of any random person who manages to do something COMPLETELY stupid and sues. Why else would we have warning labels on our grocery bags?
    amen! when i was in school i briefly worked at a gnc and not a day went bu that someone overweight would come in asking about fat burners. i know what they were thinkin...they could pop a pill or two and all the sudden they could eat a whole pizza and look like some fitness model...when i would tell 'em that the ephedra would help but you still had to exercise and diet properly, they looked at me like i had lost my mind....

14. CNN was saying that the guy also had a history of heat strokes dating back to high school. I doubt ephedra was an issue for him back then.

15. From brinkzone.com

- Was Steve Belcher’s Untimely Death Avoidable?

The link to a press released from Miami Research Associates (also written
    by Doug Kalmen) that looks at the death of this base ball player the media
    is blaming in ephedrine.
    http://www.brinkzone.com/Press_Relea..._in_Spor_1.pdf
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM
  2. Can you die from reducing your bodyfat too low?
    By hungryH in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
  3. US government going after MLB players
    By mattikus in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 02:42 AM
  4. NFL player dies after the game
    By Iron Warrior in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:42 PM
  5. Ken Caminiti Dies at age 41 (ex-mlb player)
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 10:53 AM