still confused about how/when to take ALA

dsohei

Awards
ok so i have some r-ala caps here and want to run them out before buying more, possibly na-r-ala, if that's better, which i don't know.

so ala is an insulin mimetic so... best time is to take it with high carb meals? but i've also heard that you take it 30 minutes before ALCAR/carnitine salts, on an empty stomach - how does this jibe with the high carb dosing?

also what if you are taking carnitine in the morning, but won't be eating for another hour or two? do you just take the ALA before the meal, and away from the carnitines - or take it before the carnitine, and then just eat whenever?

am i missing the point here?

also how much ala do you take? this is dependent on your level of insulin resistance right? and how would you know your level? can you take ala as a diagnostic to measure your level of insulin resistance?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
ok so i have some r-ala caps here and want to run them out before buying more, possibly na-r-ala, if that's better, which i don't know. If you buy Na-R-ALA go with Geronova brand (Nutra's bulk powder is sourced from here).

so ala is an insulin mimetic so... best time is to take it with high carb meals? but i've also heard that you take it 30 minutes before ALCAR/carnitine salts, on an empty stomach - how does this jibe with the high carb dosing? Yes best time is to take before CHO. IMO a large morning dose is the absolute best and what I do. The 30 minutes pre carnitine is due to polymerization of the ALCAR and ALA.

also what if you are taking carnitine in the morning, but won't be eating for another hour or two? do you just take the ALA before the meal, and away from the carnitines - or take it before the carnitine, and then just eat whenever? I would dose the Na-R-ALA in the morning upon waking then 30 minutes later the carnitine then eat whenever you had planned.

am i missing the point here?

also how much ala do you take? this is dependent on your level of insulin resistance right? and how would you know your level? can you take ala as a diagnostic to measure your level of insulin resistance? 150-300mg per dose of Na-R-ALA (300-600mg daily) is typically how I roll. :D
Answered most of the questions above in bold.