Casein protein needed?

ashmo

ashmo

Awards
Ive already got a tub of normal whey is casein really needed?

schroedes

schroedes

Awards
Not really, i'm a big fan of trutein, has whey, casein and egg, got all your bases covered. Lockout supps has great price

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Not really, i'm a big fan of trutein, has whey, casein and egg, got all your bases covered. Lockout supps has great price
This is nutraplanets forum, do not source another store unless its in the approved companies that have reps in here.

And OP...whats wrong with Whole Milk, Cottage cheese, greek yogurt??...I mean the fat free ones still pose a buttload of casein...just saying, powders aren't really needed, whole foods can deliver a much more complete micro-nutrient profile too.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's an option...

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2012 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print][h=1]Protein Ingestion Prior To Sleep Improves Post-Exercise Overnight Recovery.[/h]Res PT, Groen B, Pennings B, Beelen M, Wallis GA, Gijsen AP, Senden JM, van Loon LJ.
[h=3]Source[/h]1Department of Human Movement Sciences, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre+, Maastricht, the Netherlands; 2GlaxoSmithKline Nutrition, Brentford, United Kingdom; 3Department of Human Biology, NUTRIM School for Nutrition, Toxicology and Metabolism, Maastricht University Medical Centre+, Maastricht, the Netherlands.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]INTRODUCTION:[/h]The role of nutrition in modulating post-exercise overnight recovery remains to be elucidated. We assessed the impact of proteiningestion immediately prior to sleep on digestion and absorption kinetics and protein metabolism during overnight recovery from a single bout of resistance type exercise.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]16 healthy young males performed a single bout of resistance type exercise in the evening (20:00) after a full day of dietary standardization. All subjects were provided with appropriate recovery nutrition (20 g protein, 60 g carbohydrate) immediately after exercise (21:00). Thereafter, 30 min prior to sleep (23:30 h) subjects ingested a beverage with (PRO) or without (PLA) 40 g specifically produced intrinsically [1-C]phenylalanine labeled casein protein. Continuous intravenous infusions with [ring-H5]phenylalanine and [ring-H2]tyrosine were applied with blood and muscle samples collected to assess protein digestion and absorption kinetics, whole-body protein balance and mixed muscle protein synthesis rates throughout the night (7.5 h).
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]During sleep casein protein was effectively digested and absorbed resulting in a rapid rise in circulating amino acid levels which were sustained throughout the remainder of the night. Protein ingestion prior to sleep increased whole-body protein synthesis rates (311±8 vs 246±9 ∼mol·kg·7.5 h ) and improved net protein balance (61±5 vs -11±6 μmol·kg·7.5 h ) in the PRO vs PLA experiment, respectively; P<0.01). Mixed muscle protein synthesis rates were ∼22% higher in the PRO vs PLA experiment, which reached borderline significance (0.059±0.005 vs 0.048±0.004 %·h; P=0.05).
[h=4]CONCLUSION:[/h]This is the first study to show that protein ingested immediately prior to sleep is effectively digested and absorbed, thereby stimulating muscle protein synthesis and improving whole-body protein balance during post-exercise, overnight recovery.

PMID: 22330017 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

D3Baseball

Awards
Casein is fine but you don't need it over some other source of protein. Dymatize has released a line of straight casein products that taste very good and are a good value as well with the cost of whey rising.

mattys4

mattys4

Awards
casein is not needed just make sure to hit your macros daily. I love it though its my snack before bed everynight.