What to look for in a post workout supplement/recommendations

diesel87

Awards
I'm looking for a solid post workout supplement. What do you guys use and do you have any guildlines for picking one out?

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
Many swear buy them, but personally i use a good protein blend, and 50gms of dextrose.

Works just as good for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat a meal. The post-training nutrition is far too emphasized.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Down some protein and follow it up with some Gatorade mix (get the MIX from the store, not the pre-bottled). Bam, you're done. If you're cutting, two scoops of protein will get the job done. A lot of people will waste money on overpriced post-workout supplements when they can be had/made for much cheaper. Throw in 5g of Creatine Mono (or your Creatine of choice I guess) and you're good to go! If you're not down with Gatorade, and Banana will do the trick as well, also replenishing some potassium.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No synthesize is gods gift on earth for me.. love that stuff. Tastes amazing. I drink it immediately after workout followed by 2 scoops of protean and 1 cup oatmeal.

Mike

vicesoldier

vicesoldier

Awards
I pop two scoops of protocol and then eat up right after

diesel87

Awards
ok thanks for the advice guys. I'll just stick with my protien for post workout then.

kingDOM

kingDOM

Awards
If u do want a good post then look for an isolate(fast absorbing). Afterwards u should still eat a banana. Dude was rite.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I have a pretty standard routine. Protocol intra
Post shake right away (in the car)
Huge meal after my shower about 30 mins after my work out. I eat 50-60% of my daily carbs with this meal.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
If u do want a good post then look for an isolate(fast absorbing). Afterwards u should still eat a banana. Dude was rite.
Casein/Whey hit the bloodstream at the same time.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I'm lazy (most of the time) I'll just have a protein shake with some carbs. Simple and effective. Otherwise I'll do a meal consisting of the same thing, protein and carbs. For example, sometimes I will eat tuna fish with the snack factory pretzel thins. Many options.

3utcher

3utcher

Awards
I have a pretty standard routine. Protocol intraPost shake right away (in the car)Huge meal after my shower about 30 mins after my work out. I eat 50-60% of my daily carbs with this meal.
same for me (but with peptopro and dextrose intra, and less carb with meal)

boogyman

Awards
I have a protein shake and banana right after, then a larger balanced meal about 90 minutes later.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I eat a meal. The post-training nutrition is far too emphasized.
This. There is research that suggests that timing is not as important as people think. Especially the post. Unless your working out multiple times during the day and need to have as much time to replenish Carb sotres, then it doesnt matter. As long as you hit your macros its ok :)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This. There is research that suggests that timing is not as important as people think. Especially the post. Unless your working out multiple times during the day and need to have as much time to replenish Carb sotres, then it doesnt matter. As long as you hit your macros its ok :)
Correct