Pre and post workout routine or "rituals"

boogyman

Awards
What do you guys do before, during and after workouts? My "schedule" is as follows:

0400: wake up drink Focus XT
0430: protein shake (with milk), and whatever supplements I am supposed to take preworkout with food (currently Anabeta Elite, Compound 20 and Erase Pro)
0500: Workout. I sip Purple Wraath on my way to gym and during workout. I arrive exactly at 0500 when the gym opens and train for about an hour.
0610: protein shake (milk again), bananna with the "after supps" and first dose of Orange Triad

I know using shakes so much on workout days is not the the optimal way to eat, but my time is extremely condensed in the morning. I only do this every other day when I train and eat whole food breakfast on off days. I have been using this protocol for the past 2 months and it seems to be working well, I am getting into a real groove training and I think following the same routine is helping.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Get off work@ 7 get home about 7:30. Pop in call of duty mw3 just get the blood flowing. Drink my pwo as I play a few games. Take my morning deuce, hit up one more game then head to the gym.

boogyman

Awards
Yeah, I use the bathroom every morning before the gym also, I guess that could be worth mentioning.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Train
Eat

I try to stay away from rituals or a stringent schedule so I am ready at pretty much any time to train. I keep some BCAAs in my gym in bag if I'm training fasted, but that's about it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
How can people train fasted?
Tried it & I feel weak and lethargic. Is it all mental?

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I think it's something you just get used to.

boogyman

Awards
I used to be like that. But I found my life is the too hectic and I was missing workouts and meals. I dont mind if I have to deviate sometimes, but having a routone helps me to juggle work, kids and my wifes schedule

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Would love to be able to do it, but I've tried multiple times to go into the gym and it's just not the same. Don't know why the energy isn't there. Seems like with the food I'm stronger and can go longer.
Again, it's mental. You already have the attitude going into training that you will not be as strong or be able to handle as much volume.

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
Also depends on how long you were fasted. If I go within an hour or two of waking I'm fine. If it's a couple of hours then I can really tell the difference.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Also depends on how long you were fasted. If I go within an hour or two of waking I'm fine. If it's a couple of hours then I can really tell the difference.
Again, it's mental. You already have the attitude going into training that you will not be as strong or be able to handle as much volume.
Agreed. As I was waking at like 9, going around 11-12. :/

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed. As I was waking at like 9, going around 11-12. :/
There have been well over a dozen times where I've trained in a fasted state (7-8 hours sleep and awake for 3-4 hours) and set a PR on a big lift.

bobbymac

bobbymac

Awards
There have been well over a dozen times where I've trained in a fasted state (7-8 hours sleep and awake for 3-4 hours) and set a PR on a big lift.
Completely agree. I train that way most of the time and have been able to pack a decent amount of muscle on my frame.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

boogyman

Awards
I usually start to feel sick. Also, there are some things I cannot take fasted that are supposed to be taken with meals. Anabeta Elite, I tried twice to take it pre workout without at least a small meal and I threw up both times.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
I wake up...train...fast...eat at the 16-18 hour mark of my fast lol.

But on days I am looking at a heavy PR breaking day I will wake up earlier and sacrifice a chicken to the almighty god of the iron so it will bestow upon me his omnipotent blessing and let me smash some PRs, the Ritual will involve many chants, a campfire, wild dancing and some ALCAR+VODKA+HEMAVOL c0cktails passed around in a ceremonial shaker if more people are involved, with the ocassional Beta Alanine spiking from certain members of the community.

Screen shot 2012-05-21 at 8.56.43 AM.png

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I simply can't lift in the A.M., fasted or not. I used to think the issue was I didn't have enough food in me until I did a few lifting sessions in the afternoon fasted (I don't eat until 3-4pm nowadays) without issue.

Back on topic, basically my most consistent ritual involves listening to music either in the car or on the bus between taking my preWO and going to the gym. I sometimes if the bus gets there too fast I take 2 buses (they're free) just to make sure I have enough psyching-up time.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mon-thur sleep til 10am get up eat my carbs and protein normally oatmeal with blueberries and either a protein shake with some milk and a spoonful of ice cream or a Greek yogurt then wait 2 hours and lift....Friday-Sunday due to work I eat my normal carbs (but a little less then other days) when I get to work and some type of protein...then eat good fats and protein at work until about 230 then I eat some carbs and get out of work at 4 and hit the gym at 5 ..... Post workout is always a shake with water right after I lift then a nice sized meal 45 mins later

MedicMikey

Awards
I always bring it home after a workout with a jam like "Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb" That endorphin rush and feeling of well being, ahhhhh

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I simply can't lift in the A.M., fasted or not. I used to think the issue was I didn't have enough food in me until I did a few lifting sessions in the afternoon fasted (I don't eat until 3-4pm nowadays) without issue.

Back on topic, basically my most consistent ritual involves listening to music either in the car or on the bus between taking my preWO and going to the gym. I sometimes if the bus gets there too fast I take 2 buses (they're free) just to make sure I have enough psyching-up time.
Why no AM lifting for you?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Seriously? Guy brings in a comment about sacrificing a chicken to the god of iron and no one laughs oO...damn tough crowd tonight...

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
But on days I am looking at a heavy PR breaking day I will wake up earlier and sacrifice a chicken to the almighty god of the iron so it will bestow upon me his omnipotent blessing and let me smash some PRs, the Ritual will involve many chants, a campfire, wild dancing and some ALCAR+VODKA+HEMAVOL c0cktails passed around in a ceremonial shaker if more people are involved, with the ocassional Beta Alanine spiking from certain members of the community.

View attachment 59813
LoL...I think someone slipped away from your camp fire and came up here. That sounds oddly familiar.

I lift after my 12hr shift and hit up my Jack3d to get me going, the caffeine in there really helps. Depending on how many adrenaline dumps I have at work I may need more than just one scoop of Jack3d though. Oh and the PreGame dump of course.

EDIT: ROFL I was in the middle of posting when you said the above statement Celorza....ironic

Last edited:
Celorza

Celorza

Awards
LoL...I think someone slipped away from your camp fire and came up here. That sounds oddly familiar.

I lift after my 12hr shift and hit up my Jack3d to get me going, the caffeine in there really helps. Depending on how many adrenaline dumps I have at work I may need more than just one scoop of Jack3d though. Oh and the PreGame dump of course.

EDIT: ROFL I was in the middle of posting when you said the above statement Celorza....ironic
EPIC hahaha if my morning dump is not achieved at home , the walk/jog to the gym gets it going and I'll make my usual deposit before hitting the iron hahahaha.

Daddy Chan

Daddy Chan

Awards
Wake up, half a cup of oatmeal with a scoop of Optimum Complex gainer, half a banana, 2 strawberries, handful of blueberries = epic shake about 800 calories, wait 5 min bowl of Wheaties with a half cup of POST grape nuts in almond milk. Wait 5 min, dump then off to the gym :]

mustang0341

mustang0341

Awards
EPIC hahaha if my morning dump is not achieved at home , the walk/jog to the gym gets it going and I'll make my usual deposit before hitting the iron hahahaha.

the run or jog for sure, man when I run I need to plan my route so that I pass by a bathroom at like 1.5 miles like clockwork LoL

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
the run or jog for sure, man when I run I need to plan my route so that I pass by a bathroom at like 1.5 miles like clockwork LoL
Ditto if I go for a morning run there is nothing more annoying than its laxative effect, lucky for me I run laps around my campus , and every 1.5 laps = 1 mile or so, and it so happens that on the 4 corners of the circuit i follow, there are stripes :p! So for me its around the 4-5 mile mark but damn its annoying to get started with that pumped and amped feeling when starting to run again after a mighty deload of doo-doo weight.