Anti-Anxiety supplements

Jahcuree

So im trying to do a little research for my girlfriend who is in nursing school and suffers from cases of anxiety from time to tome. Im looking for anyone who has had experience dealing with anxiety with supplementation.

I have looked into the racetams and am unsure of which one to go with or if they will even have any positive effects on lowering anxiety levels.

Input is appreciated, thanks guys.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
"From Time to Tome" would be a great name for a biography about the founder of Time magazine.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
So im trying to do a little research for my girlfriend who is in nursing school and suffers from cases of anxiety from time to tome. Im looking for anyone who has had experience dealing with anxiety with supplementation.

I have looked into the racetams and am unsure of which one to go with or if they will even have any positive effects on lowering anxiety levels.

Input is appreciated, thanks guys.
Before even recommending something, I think we need a little more information. In my experience, anxiety can be a multi-faceted issue, which can later become a self-fulfilling cycle (anxiety reduces the persons ability to sleep, which reduces a persons ability to concentrate, perform, and study, which can then further increase anxiety).

What kind of negative impacts is her anxiety having on her?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nothing OTC would be as effective as meds. Phenibut mat help but it isnt something I would recommend as a daily thing. See a doctor and try a low dose SSRI like lexapro and/or buspar. Beta blockers also help some with anxiety. Overall tell her to see a doctor

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
Nothing OTC would be as effective as meds. Phenibut mat help but it isnt something I would recommend as a daily thing. See a doctor and try a low dose SSRI like lexapro and/or buspar. Beta blockers also help some with anxiety. Overall tell her to see a doctor
True, but a lot of people wish to avoid medication because of the side effects.

A lot of people in nursing school and med school visit the doctor and end up with (what I like to call) the uppers, downers, and pretzels diet. They leave with a prescription for adderall to increase productivity, concentration, etc and ambien to sleep. Then only end up eating pretzels because of a busy schedule and suppressed appetite from the Adderall.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Yeah I would have to say she would need to go see a doctor. Most people are given beta blockers but some doctors are afraid to write prescription and some don't like to give it to patients that are taking adderall.

I'm ADHD, and I was actually tested for it, and at the moment I'm taking 10mg of adderall IR(splitting my 20mg pill) and today I took one at 10 something and another 10mg at 2 and I have been having anxiety attacks for since I've started. I really don't like the feeling because I feel really good about being able to concentrate but at the same time I'm freaking out over everything :/

So if she's on other meds then they could be the problem(but I'm guessing that might not be the situation).

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established

A lot of people in nursing school and med school visit the doctor and end up with (what I like to call) the uppers, downers, and pretzels diet. They leave with a prescription for adderall to increase productivity, concentration, etc and ambien to sleep. Then only end up eating pretzels because of a busy schedule and suppressed appetite from the Adderall.
Idk man I tend to disagree with this. Not to many docs at my hospital would prescribe both those due to the fact someone may take an adderall to study then when they wish to go to sleep they take an ambien. Do you see how this could be a problem? However, I've been taking l-Theanine and GABA and that definitely helps with my anxiety.

Jahcuree

Exactly. She does not need to be medicated at all. That's the opposite I'm looking for. She has a prescription for adavan and other meds but only takes a very small portion of a pill maybe once every 3 months or so when the anxiety gets really bad and she has to take it to relax enough to be able to get a night of sleep.

The only reason her anxiety is not being managed well right now is because of a lack of a consistent schedule. Flip flopping between 12 hr clinical shifts and back to regular school hours with studying on top she doesn't have much time to get situated into a schedule right now where she can be consistently working out and meditating (both have helped a lot before).

Which is why I have come here to find any recommendations that would possibly help manage anxiety/stress levels so that she can still study and sleep.

Thank you all for the input in this thread.

Jahcuree

Idk man I tend to disagree with this. Not to many docs at my hospital would prescribe both those due to the fact someone may take an adderall to study then when they wish to go to sleep they take an ambien. Do you see how this could be a problem? However, I've been taking l-Theanine and GABA and that definitely helps with my anxiety.
Thank you, I will look into the 2 of these.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
SNS Picamilon-150 is what comes to mind for mild mood support. If it's a serious issue, she should see a physician.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This idea that somehow prescription medication is inherently more dangerous than OTC medication is simply wrong. Case and point, phenibut is available OTC and is probably far worse than say a xanax script. Just because something is sold OTC it does not mean it is safe just like just because something is a prescription it does not mean it is unsafe or that it comes with a long list of sides

This is a gross generalization of medicine. In every profession there are douchebags.. be it doctors or personal trainers or whatever. Just because some Doctor somewhere gave someone a retarded medicinal plan, this does not discredit the advances of medicine in whole

Exactly. She does not need to be medicated at all. That's the opposite I'm looking for.
Why?

Why is it that you feel perscriptions are bad? Do OTC products not come with potential sides?

Something like buspar is VERY effective in treating GAD and FAR more effective than anything you will find OTC

The only medication I would be hesitant with is benzos but that does not have to be the first route of choice nor does this mean that benzos are unsafe if used properly.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Peoples willingness to believe something to be true based solely on it being popular opinion and their unwillingness to research and objectively question something for themselves will always blow my mind.

A majority of people say "medicine is bad" and these people say this idea only based off the person before them saying this idea. We then get this mass of people repeating each other and when you question them and ask why they believe this, none of them can actually answer. In this day and age with information so readily available why is it that people wont seek out information for themselves and instead rely on someone elses opinion?

I will never understand this

Yes medication comes with side effects. Yes some doctors are hacks and will just write scripts willy nilly without attempting to diagnose. Yes people have a tendency to abuse medications. And yes big pharma companies are based on greed and profit. BUT none of this discounts the benefits one can receive from medication. Simply dismissing treatment based soley on the idea "meds are bad for you" is for lack of a better word, retarded.

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed that it greatly depends on location. Here in Vegas, this ****tail is handed out like candy, and Adderall is easier to find than your common recreational drugs. I've been offered AD by 2 different doctors, and filling one of those scripts was the worst idea I ever had. Took one dose then flushed the rest down the toilet after feeling like death. Sure, I got a lot done, but it still wasn't worth it.

This idea that somehow prescription medication is inherently more dangerous than OTC medication is simply wrong. Case and point, phenibut is available OTC and is probably far worse than say a xanax script. Just because something is sold OTC it does not mean it is safe just like just because something is a prescription it does not mean it is unsafe or that it comes with a long list of sides
I never stated that OTC substances were safer than script meds, and I wouldn't recommend phenibut as an initial suggestion because of the possibility of dependency. Moreover, you're assuming that I had some intention of plugging an OTC supplement, when I didn't really have any intention to do so.

I'm a big believer in taking the most simplistic route possible first, then adding in other steps as necessary. I was going to recommend monitoring total caffeine intake throughout the day (or any other stimulants), and possibly cutting back. High amounts of caffeine can exacerbate panic/anxiety issues through stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system, thus cutting back on consumption may reduce the occurrences. Additionally, dietary changes may help as well. There have been countless studies showing certain deficiencies can increase stress induced anxiety.

And yes, I understand that you likely jumped to the conclusion that I had an agenda to plug SNS products in lieu of the "big bad medications", but that was not my intent at all. Could something we offer help to alleviate the stress, panic, or anxiety she is feeling? Probably. But why should I recommend something that would just cover up the problem temporarily, when there are simple steps that can be taken prior to that point which could significantly or completely remedy the cause of the problem? I dealt with serious anxiety issues for a number of years, and I tried just about everything (and combination) under the sun. The point when I really started making headway into resolving the issue was when I re-evaluated things and made healthier lifestyle changes.

This is a gross generalization of medicine. In every profession there are douchebags.. be it doctors or personal trainers or whatever. Just because some Doctor somewhere gave someone a retarded medicinal plan, this does not discredit the advances of medicine in whole
I agree with you, there are douchebags in every profession, but I was simply speaking on the pattern that I have noticed here. This wasn't a problem when I lived in PA (or at least not one that was noticed). I think it's possible that the distinct difference in values, lifestyles, and culture between the two places account for the difference. However, at no point was I attempting to discredit medicine, or do anything similar. To be honest with you, I find medicine to be the most fascinating topic in the world. But I also believe that we as a society have become so enamored with treating the symptoms (and wanting immediate fixes to everything without really working for it) that we've moved away from making healthy lifestyle changes, when we can simply go to the doctor and get a pill for that.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
Sup bro, I've had experience with this before. I occasionally have depression and anxiety and I've never done anything about it. Finally I found a supplement called Kava. This 'ish works. It is sometimes known as "herbal xanax". Cures depression, anxiety, insomnia, you name it. Here's the catch, even though it was just recently proved that it doesn't cause liver damage, it can act as a catalyst for other things to cause liver damage, so absolutely NO ALCOHOL, or medications that bother the liver while on this stuff, this includes even over the counter stuff like tylenol and Ibuprofin. Either get the softgels/drops from your local healthfood store or whole foods market, OR check out KonaKavaFarm.com...also remember that it needs to be taken on an empty stomach and it takes about 30 minutes to kick in. Also, it is a very mild MAOI, so make sure she is not combining it with any other MAOIs, its very weak and shouldn't be much to worry about...P.S. don't go to a doc because those guys are completely against natural remedies and are all for prescribing drugs and s**t talking supps

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
phenibut is the best I have found. Mnay companies carry it and its nice stuff a couple times a week at most. Many times I take many months break from it. I might use it during stressful situations like pre contest or just something kind of extraordinary to me, where I need some help relaxing and sleeping, if I cant do it on my own(which Im usually pretty good at generallY)

AI sports nutrition carries it, read up on it here
http://www.aisportsnutrition.com/mstore/index.php/phenibut.html

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
I have anxiety attacks, and I would not replace my meds for any of the OTC products. Phenibut is ok once or twice a week, but only her doctor can say if she really needs constant meds or just during anxiety attacks.

I've tried many OTC products too and never felt much benefit from them. and I agree with Judo's reponses, she needs to see a doc and follow his advice. There is this false perception that OTC is better than prescription.

Jahcuree

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions, I'm going to look into some of the things mentioned here.

The problem isn't that she hasn't seen a doctor, she has prescription for both Xanax and adavan. The problem is that when, on the rare occasion, she takes these drugs, she is completely non functional. And she breaks the prescription up into fractions of a pill, I'm not sure the mg amount of pills.

I not looking for a cure all supplement, I'm looking for a supplement that may lower anxiety levels enough to concentrate and sleep when both are needed. Her diet is pretty clean, probably could have a wider range of raw veggies added of course. I like the info about caffeine increasing the anxiety, it does seem like when she has been drinking coffee here and there the anxiety attacks are based around those times.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions, I'm going to look into some of the things mentioned here.

The problem isn't that she hasn't seen a doctor, she has prescription for both Xanax and adavan. The problem is that when, on the rare occasion, she takes these drugs, she is completely non functional. And she breaks the prescription up into fractions of a pill, I'm not sure the mg amount of pills.
Both xanax and ativan are benzos which are typically prescribed by doctors for GAD because they are very effective (it agonizes GABA-A) but they are not the only option. She could try a beta blocker like propanolol but this is really a hit and miss with people. It usually helps with the physical manifestations of anxiety (sweating, clammy hands etc) but may not help with the anxiety itself but for some it helps. She could try a low dose SSRI like lexapro and/or bursp. Both of these I would try as an alternative to benzos.

Again, have her talk with her doctor. Do some research on various plans of treatment and then sit down with the doctor and talk about these options.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
from time to time is normal IMO. xanex is legit haha

rajathetiger

Awards
A probiotic may help - google "probiotic for anxiety" (New member.. won't let me post links till my post counts 50+)

Here's some off the top of my head that haven't been mentioned:

Rhodiola Rosea
Relora
Passionflower
Bacopa
Ashwagandha
L-Dopa
DLPA
Taurine
Magnesium Chelate

antihero

antihero

Awards
  • Established
A probiotic may help - google "probiotic for anxiety" (New member.. won't let me post links till my post counts 50+)
I'm not sure I'd put my eggs into the probiotics basket yet. There's only one study I'm aware of, and I question the validity of it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is with the mentality of going straight to prescription meds instead of trying other methods or supps that work well for so many people? I went to several doctors over the years that wanted to put me on valium and I always declined. I experimented over many years and faced my anxiety head on with some success. Now I found a combination of natural items that 100% work and I don't have to be on any prescriptions. many people have. I think scrips without research and time are a lazy way out that are prone to a lot of side effects.

Ducati7

Awards
Wonder if this sh*t would help someone...

Anxietin Active Homeopathic Ingredients: Official US Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Aconitum Napellus, Alfalfa, Argentum Nitricum, Arsenicum Album, Aurum Metallicum, Avena Sativa, Baryta Carbonica, Calcarea Phosphorica, Chamomilla, Gelsemium Sempervirens, Glonoinum, Ignatia Amara, Kali Arsenicosum, Kali Phosphoricum, Lupulus Humulus, Muriaticum Acidum, Natrum Phosphoricum, Passiflora Incarnata, Phosphorus, Staphysagria, Stramonium

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
What is with the mentality of going straight to prescription meds instead of trying other methods or supps that work well for so many people? I went to several doctors over the years that wanted to put me on valium and I always declined. I experimented over many years and faced my anxiety head on with some success. Now I found a combination of natural items that 100% work and I don't have to be on any prescriptions. many people have. I think scrips without research and time are a lazy way out that are prone to a lot of side effects.
I feel prescription drugs are a good interim while an individual develops the tools to deal with anxiety long-term. Sometimes the symptoms of anxiety can be so overwhelming that it makes it difficult explore holistic approaches.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I suppose you could be right in extreme cases, but it seems that most people have a tolerable anxiety level and look to prescriptions for a cure all. The doctors are all too happy to prescribe, too.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There are many different routes you can go with this. Does she have insurance? I would consult a doctor