Excess Creatine?

bomcgraw

bomcgraw

Awards
Ok in the research I've done, and what I've been told in the gym since I was 12 is that any Creatine taken in that the body can't use or take in, it just passes through the digestive system. But, I was talking to my old combatives coach yesterday about my current routine and he told me that if I get more than 10-15g a day of Creatine that it can damage my kidneys and liver. The only Creatine I take is the little bit in Dark Rage preworkout, plus about 3g Creatine mono hydrate during workout, and another 3g before dinner. On my 2 a day training days I only take the Rage befor one workout but I take an extra 5g of mono before the workout without it. Am I hurtin myself or wastin my Creatine?

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
drinking to much water can harm your kidneys...so yea id say overdosing on creatine could too but unless you are ingesting 20 grams a day for years on end i doubt your going to harm yourself. Im not a doctor though but i know overdoing anything is bad for you. just take the recommended amount and cycle off it every now and again if you're worried

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok in the research I've done, and what I've been told in the gym since I was 12 is that any Creatine taken in that the body can't use or take in, it just passes through the digestive system. But, I was talking to my old combatives coach yesterday about my current routine and he told me that if I get more than 10-15g a day of Creatine that it can damage my kidneys and liver. The only Creatine I take is the little bit in Dark Rage preworkout, plus about 3g Creatine mono hydrate during workout, and another 3g before dinner. On my 2 a day training days I only take the Rage befor one workout but I take an extra 5g of mono before the workout without it. Am I hurtin myself or wastin my Creatine?
Once your muscle creatine threshold is reached, it canNOTY be saturated any further and therefore you're wasting your time using anything more than 2-3 grams a day at that point (which is all that is needed to maintain creatine muscle saturation) - some people use ~5 grams a day, which is ok, but your certainly don't need any more than that. There is no need to take excessive amounts of creatine unless you creatine load - which is done for ~5 days (takes about that long to reach creatine muscle threshold at 20 grams a day, instead of ~3 weeks at 2-3 grams a day), and is completely personal preference because it is NOT necessary.

~Rosie~

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Once your muscle creatine threshold is reached, it canNOTY be saturated any further and therefore you're wasting your time using anything more than 2-3 grams a day at that point (which is all that is needed to maintain creatine muscle saturation) - some people use ~5 grams a day, which is ok, but your certainly don't need any more than that. There is no need to take excessive amounts of creatine unless you creatine load - which is done for ~5 days (takes about that long to reach creatine muscle threshold at 20 grams a day, instead of ~3 weeks at 2-3 grams a day), and is completely personal preference because it is NOT necessary.

~Rosie~
Winner! ^^^

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Creatine is effective and safe for pretty much everybody.

Go here and read up.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rosie said it best

In addition, I have tried just about every method of creatine cycling and I can tell you I like using 10-15 grams a day best, 5 morning, pre and post workout as I think these are the best times to take in creatine, esp with the extra carbohydrates morning and post. I think its a good idea to take breaks from creatine after you seem to be getting nothing out of it, then cycle back on it.

from personal experience I seem to be a super responder to creatine.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie what are your experiences with the all different types of creatine? Interested in a woman's take on this.
I've used many types of creatine, including creatine monohydrate, Kre-Alkalyn, Con-Cret, creatine ethy-ester, phosphocreatine, creatine nitrate, creatine HCl, etc.; not to mention different products inclusive of creatine, either straight creatine products or ones that just include it, and even creatine products with additional benefits and properties.

Creatine has never negatively affected me. When I was back home for years I had weekly bloods done, so I was able to monitor this to some degree. The ONLY type of creatine that negatively affected my bloods was creatine ethyl-ester (i.e. the original NeoVar) - look through my initial logs for this (you can find links to all my forum logs HERE); although, that said, it had no impact on my performance, etc. I currently use Assault, which contains several types of creatine (creatine monohydrate, Con-Cret, and Creatine HCl), and have no issues with this. Regardless of what type of creatine I have used, or what form (i.e. powder or capsule), I don't experience any bloating, nausea, etc., and I unlike many, even if preparing for something like a photoshoot or leaning down, I continue to use it.

The best "creatine" products that I have ever used are Cre-02, NeoVar Recomped, and Kre-Alkalyn (the former two having additional benefits). I haven't used a specific creatine product since I began using Assault though, as it contains creatine; and also since using Assault, I only have creatine PRE-training - before that I used to split my daily dosage into pre AND post-training - and really find no difference in how I used it before.

Hope that helps (not that a woman would have a difference experience with it than a male, since it doesn't affect hormones, etc., and if it did, I wouldn't be the right person to ask, since, due to personal factors, my body does not respond as it "should" to most products).

~Rosie~

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
I've used many types of creatine, including creatine monohydrate, Kre-Alkalyn, Con-Cret, creatine ethy-ester, phosphocreatine, creatine nitrate, creatine HCl, etc.; not to mention different products inclusive of creatine, either straight creatine products or ones that just include it, and even creatine products with additional benefits and properties.

Creatine has never negatively affected me. When I was back home for years I had weekly bloods done, so I was able to monitor this to some degree. The ONLY type of creatine that negatively affected my bloods was creatine ethyl-ester (i.e. the original NeoVar) - look through my initial logs for this (you can find links to all my forum logs HERE); although, that said, it had no impact on my performance, etc. I currently use Assault, which contains several types of creatine (creatine monohydrate, Con-Cret, and Creatine HCl), and have no issues with this. Regardless of what type of creatine I have used, or what form (i.e. powder or capsule), I don't experience any bloating, nausea, etc., and I unlike many, even if preparing for something like a photoshoot or leaning down, I continue to use it.

The best "creatine" products that I have ever used are Cre-02, NeoVar Recomped, and Kre-Alkalyn (the former two having additional benefits). I haven't used a specific creatine product since I began using Assault though, as it contains creatine; and also since using Assault, I only have creatine PRE-training - before that I used to split my daily dosage into pre AND post-training - and really find no difference in how I used it before.

Hope that helps (not that a woman would have a difference experience with it than a male, since it doesn't affect hormones, etc., and if it did, I wouldn't be the right person to ask, since, due to personal factors, my body does not respond as it "should" to most products).

~Rosie~
Thanks for the response. I mentioned woman because I'd assume they may be more sensitive to a specific creatines bloating or non bloating affects.

I myself have not noticed much difference in the different creatines, unless of course it was of lesser quality. I also notice my stomach does better on micronized. Prolab is always solid.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the response. I mentioned woman because I'd assume they may be more sensitive to a specific creatines bloating or non bloating affects.

I myself have not noticed much difference in the different creatines, unless of course it was of lesser quality. I also notice my stomach does better on micronized. Prolab is always solid.

No worries :) Hmmm, ok. It would depend on the individual - as does everything, as opposed to sex, I imagine.

~Rosie~

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rosie said it best

In addition, I have tried just about every method of creatine cycling and I can tell you I like using 10-15 grams a day best, 5 morning, pre and post workout as I think these are the best times to take in creatine, esp with the extra carbohydrates morning and post. I think its a good idea to take breaks from creatine after you seem to be getting nothing out of it, then cycle back on it.

from personal experience I seem to be a super responder to creatine.

why would u take 15g/day?!

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rosie definitely hit it on the head. Creatine is safe and not to mention cheap, so i wouldnt worry about it bud.

jman12

Awards
Rosie definitely hit it on the head. Creatine is safe and not to mention cheap, so i wouldnt worry about it bud.
I would not completely say it is safe. I was taking MuscleTechs creakic and it raised my liver enzymes through the roof 50iu/L (0.0-35.0). I was drinking a gallon of water a day and taking it exactly as prescribed... As soon as i got off it my levels returned back to normal

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would not completely say it is safe. I was taking MuscleTechs creakic and it raised my liver enzymes through the roof 50iu/L (0.0-35.0). I was drinking a gallon of water a day and taking it exactly as prescribed... As soon as i got off it my levels returned back to normal
Hhmmm interesting. Were you on anything else?

I cant remember what was in creakic but maybe it just didnt respond with your body well?

I guess the ol' saying everyone is different definitely rings true.

jman12

Awards
Hhmmm interesting. Were you on anything else?

I cant remember what was in creakic but maybe it just didnt respond with your body well?

I guess the ol' saying everyone is different definitely rings true.
last test i had was just taking a multivit, joint support and fish oil. About a year ago i had a test which also showed my liver enzymes were high and at this point creatine and joint support was the only oral tablets i was taking. So i discontinued taking creatine for a week had my bloods tested again and they were within normal range, so it is twice that creatine had affected my liver and not by a bit, but a fair amount.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have had this discussion many times on here......long story short i have had friends and an uncle who took creatine and started urinating blood then once they stopped the creatine, no blood present in the urine.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
last test i had was just taking a multivit, joint support and fish oil. About a year ago i had a test which also showed my liver enzymes were high and at this point creatine and joint support was the only oral tablets i was taking. So i discontinued taking creatine for a week had my bloods tested again and they were within normal range, so it is twice that creatine had affected my liver and not by a bit, but a fair amount.

anything you eat goes through your liver so even taking multiple pills / day of anything may raise it.....especially if you take alot of tylenol and stuff like that.

jman12

Awards
anything you eat goes through your liver so even taking multiple pills / day of anything may raise it.....especially if you take alot of tylenol and stuff like that.
Yes that is true, however, like i said as soon as i discontinued taking creatine my levels returned to normal, this has happened twice and blood tests proves it was putting my livers health in question, especially long term if i kept on taking it.

SportyBoy

SportyBoy

Awards
This is the best supplementation if you aks me. To avoind any excess I recommend taking 5g to 10g of creatine monohydrate, half before and half after your workout. Creatine monohydrate is the least expensive form of the supplement and is 90 percent absorbable. I increased my strength and muscle mass due to increased exercise intensity; this is facilitated by the Creatine supplementation. Increased muscle mass and strength are unlikely to occur with out an increase in training intensity. However, some research has started to show a protein synthesising effect of Creatine supplementation in vitro.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is the best supplementation if you aks me. To avoind any excess I recommend taking 5g to 10g of creatine monohydrate, half before and half after your workout. Creatine monohydrate is the least expensive form of the supplement and is 90 percent absorbable. I increased my strength and muscle mass due to increased exercise intensity; this is facilitated by the Creatine supplementation. Increased muscle mass and strength are unlikely to occur with out an increase in training intensity. However, some research has started to show a protein synthesising effect of Creatine supplementation in vitro.

anything over 5 is excess

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anything over 5 is excess
5 is a good maintenance dose for bigger guys. some large guys 250 -300 lbs over at Intensemuscle say up to 7 or 10

ive done 25 grams a day doing creatine cycling back in 2004-2006 (the ast method) you do 20-30 grams depending on body-weight for 3 days then take four days off.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards

Creatine has never negatively affected me. When I was back home for years I had weekly bloods done, so I was able to monitor this to some degree. The ONLY type of creatine that negatively affected my bloods was creatine ethyl-ester (i.e. the original NeoVar), although, that said, it had no impact on my performance, etc. I currently use Assault, which contains several types of creatine (creatine monohydrate, Con-Cret, and Creatine HCl), and have no issues with this. Regardless of what type of creatine I have used, or what form (i.e. powder or capsule), I don't experience any bloating, nausea, etc., and I unlike many, even if preparing for something like a photoshoot or leaning down, I continue to use it.

~Rosie~
So there is someone else out there that actually likes Kre-alkalyn...