Carbs are needed PWO - or so they say

Lutztenways

Lutztenways

Awards
I thought the article was pretty fair until I read this at the end.....

From the article - "An important fact to keep in mind is that any carbs you take in within two hours of training are used exclusively for replenishment of depleted glycogen stores. Basically any carbs you take in during that critical window cannot be converted into bodyfat, nor will they in any way hinder fat-loss efforts."

I guess I'll just eat a family size bag of twizzlers right after my next work out, I mean it's a fact that I'll suffer no adverse effects in body composition. Just imagine if it was a fact that you could hit the gym for 45 minutes and then you've got a two hour free pass to eat whatever you wanted. I mean who needs test boosters, PWOs and AIs when you can just ramjet unlimited glycogen into your muscles to blow them up. This must be that secret from cambridge used by the guy who the trainers hate, the one that weighs 170 and benches 420.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOLOL :p

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I eat PWO carbs maybe one day a week during my refeed.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

From the article - "An important fact to keep in mind is that any carbs you take in within two hours of training are used exclusively for replenishment of depleted glycogen stores. Basically any carbs you take in during that critical window cannot be converted into bodyfat, nor will they in any way hinder fat-loss efforts."

I guess I'll just eat a family size bag of twizzlers right after my next work out, I mean it's a fact that I'll suffer no adverse effects in body composition. Just imagine if it was a fact that you could hit the gym for 45 minutes and then you've got a two hour free pass to eat whatever you wanted. I mean who needs test boosters, PWOs and AIs when you can just ramjet unlimited glycogen into your muscles to blow them up. This must be that secret from cambridge used by the guy who the trainers hate, the one that weighs 170 and benches 420.
Yeah that part caught my eye as well. Oh well you know you can use a nutrient "partioner" and all the carbs go DIRECTLY to the muscle!!!! Nowhere else, JUST the muscle! I can eat large movie theater popcorn and it all goes straight to the guns baby!

musclebob5

musclebob5

Banned
Awards

Me Personally .. I Use Canivor + SizOn Post Workout .. Been Seeing Great Recovory & Results

D3Baseball

Awards
Not worth worrying about. If you work out during a long fast, then perhaps, but protein would be more important than carbs at that point. Generally just not the type of thing worth worrying about.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dr. Ivy's research taken out of context yet again.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL @ GEO

That's the problem I have ALWAYS had with ALL GDA's. With all due respect to our Sponsors, I have yet to be convinced these carbs get preferentially shuttled into the muscles (in a rested state).

Sure, when in an exercised state, I imagine the effects "might" be amplified post-exercise, but the muscle cells' insulin sensitivity is already heightened so what's the point? I doubt these GDA's will cause super-saturation (somehow increase glycogen storage) while avoiding spill over then fat gain. But.... I admit I just don't know. Afterall, I have no problems conceding that these GDA's "seem" to work well for many peolple on these boards (anecdotally) so "maybe" there is something to these.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL @ GEO

That's the problem I have ALWAYS had with ALL GDA's. With all due respect to our Sponsors, I have yet to be convinced these carbs get preferentially shuttled into the muscles (in a rested state).

Sure, when in an exercised state, I imagine the effects "might" be amplified post-exercise, but the muscle cells' insulin sensitivity is already heightened so what's the point? I doubt these GDA's will cause super-saturation (somehow increase glycogen storage) while avoiding spill over then fat gain. But.... I admit I just don't know. Afterall, I have no problems conceding that these GDA's "seem" to work well for many peolple on these boards (anecdotally) so "maybe" there is something to these.
Honestly I think it's just supplement hype speak that got out of control. Then you see people talk about nutrient partitioning effects from products that aren't designed to do this and you're like "how the hell are you telling me this testosterone booster or whatever is partitioning nutrients as well?" Just how is that something people "feel?!"

I'll admit the few GDA's I've used I haven't been as diligent with putting them to the test frequently and controlled enough to make up my mind yet. I'm not saying they have no merit, as I'm far from an expert on them and you can see with many threads even people who've studied them a lot seem very conflicted. Just that some of the "effects" people talk about from them smell a little fishy.