Banaba and Corosolic Acid: Which % is most effective?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh
    After a quick review of the literature I would say 1% corosolic acid > every other %. The research supports this and I imagine a lower % makes it more cost effective as well so I am not seeing a reason for getting a higher standardized percent of corosolic.
    Depending how you look at it.

I'd need 1000 mg for 10 mg CA. Not cost effective compared to 50 mg for 10mg ca. I would need 10x more per serving.

And I use more than 10 mg cavper serving. So it depends ingle much your using.
    Enhanced Body Formulations Product Educator
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
    EnhancedBodyFormulations@gmail .com

2. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Dbl post
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  3. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Antidiabetic activity of a standardized extract (Glucosol) from Lagerstroemia speciosa leaves in Type II diabetics. A dose-dependence study

The antidiabetic activity of an extract from the leaves of Lagerstroemia speciosa standardized to 1% corosolic acid (Glucosol) has been demonstrated in a randomized clinical trial involving Type II diabetics (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, NIDDM). Subjects received a daily oral dose of Glucosol and blood glucose levels were measured. Glucosol at daily dosages of 32 and 48mg for 2 weeks showed a significant reduction in the blood glucose levels. Glucosol in a soft gel capsule formulation showed a 30% decrease in blood glucose levels compared to a 20% drop seen with dry-powder filled hard gelatin capsule formulation (P<0.001), suggesting that the soft gel formulation has a better bioavailability than a dry-powder formulation.

PMID 12787964
    the caveat being the above used gel caps and most OTC products use dry powder filled capsules so you would need more than the 32-48mg suggested above, bit how much I do not know.

A review of the efficacy and safety of banaba (Lagerstroemia speciosa L.) and corosolic acid.

Banaba (Lagerstroemia speciosa L.) extracts have been used for many years in folk medicine to treat diabetes, with the first published research study being reported in 1940. This review summarizes the current literature regarding banaba and its constituents. The hypoglycemic effects of banaba have been attributed to both corosolic acid as well as ellagitannins. Studies have been conducted in various animal models, human subjects and in vitro systems using water soluble banaba leaf extracts, corosolic acid-standardized extracts, and purified corosolic acid and ellagitannins. Pure corosolic acid has been reported to decrease blood sugar levels within 60 min in human subjects. Corosolic acid also exhibits antihyperlipidemic, antioxidant, antiinflammatory, antifungal, antiviral, antineoplastic and osteoblastic activities. The beneficial effects of banaba and corosolic acid with respect to various aspects of glucose and lipid metabolism appear to involve multiple mechanisms, including enhanced cellular uptake of glucose, impaired hydrolysis of sucrose and starches, decreased gluconeogenesis and the regulation of lipid metabolism. These effects may be mediated by PPAR, MAP K, NF-κB and other signal transduction factors. No adverse effects have been observed or reported in animal studies or controlled human clinical trials. Banaba extract, corosolic acid and other constituents may be beneficial in addressing the symptoms associated with metabolic syndrome, as well as offering other health benefits.

PMID: 22095937
    There is no question that the corosolic acid in banaba is responsible for some of the effects, but again 1% was shown to be effective so why go higher?

Remember Zach, not everyone eats 3k+ meals of pancakes, eggs, waffles, sausage, chicken and potato hash with maple syrup poured over it all

Now are you aiming for that much corosolic based off your eating habits? Or is their research go support that amount being "more" effective? Or is it that you just like to megadose (experiment) cause you have access to raws and can?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    the caveat being the above used gel caps and most OTC products use dry powder filled capsules so you would need more than the 32-48mg suggested above, bit how much I do not know.

There is no question that the corosolic acid in banaba is responsible for some of the effects, but again 1% was shown to be effective so why go higher?

Remember Zach, not everyone eats 3k+ meals of pancakes, eggs, waffles, sausage, chicken and potato hash with maple syrup poured over it all

Now are you aiming for that much corosolic based off your eating habits? Or is their research go support that amount being "more" effective? Or is it that you just like to megadose (experiment) cause you have access to raws and can?
    Doesn't the actual amount (mg) of CA matter more than the actual 1%. Obviously the amount (mg) of CA varies depending on the amount of banaba. 1% CA of 1g banaba is not the same at 1% CA of 500mg banaba.
    PES ALPHAMINE Log
    h ttp://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213082-pes-alphamine-log.html
  5. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

The above study used 48mg of banaba that was 1% corosolic acid which equaled 0.48mg of corosolic acid (Unless I am misreading it)

Also worth repeating, they used gel caps which helped to enhance absorption. Compared to powder filled caps there was a 10% decrease (with the soft gels they got a 30% drop in blood glucose levels and with the powder they got a 10% drop)
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.

The above study used 48mg of banaba that was 1% corosolic acid which equaled 0.48mg of corosolic acid (Unless I am misreading it)

Also worth repeating, they used gel caps which helped to enhance absorption. Compared to powder filled caps there was a 10% decrease (with the soft gels they got a 30% drop in blood glucose levels and with the powder they got a 10% drop)
    So would tripling the powder intake give the same drop in blood glucose levels?
  7. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor

We are looking at normal individuals. Small amounts will help diabetics differently than normal diabetics. The study I based dosing on was 10mg corosolic acid. I have 10 per cap. Why? So the bottle will not only last as long as a full month but users can make it last 2 months if eating 300 g carb per day. The effects also show to be more beneficial on dgat inhibition with corosolic acid too
    For any questions on our products that need a quick response, please email me directly
  8. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor

Also. Don't u want to be protected if eating those meals?

I mean I for one want to definitely take my recompadrol pre any garbage meal. Block some carbs assimilate others. I get crankybibi eat without it
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EBF Inc View Post
    We are looking at normal individuals. Small amounts will help diabetics differently than normal diabetics. The study I based dosing on was 10mg corosolic acid. I have 10 per cap. Why? So the bottle will not only last as long as a full month but users can make it last 2 months if eating 300 g carb per day. The effects also show to be more beneficial on dgat inhibition with corosolic acid too
    References for both of those?

10mg corosolic acid is a BIG jump from .48mg but me and you go back and I trust your feedback, would just like to read some on it.

Now just so we are clear, I am not saying more is bad, all I am saying is from what I reviewed, 48mg at 1% (in a gel capsule) has be shown to be effective and I tend to recommend what the literature supports. Now is more better? I dunno but I would like to see that 10mg study.

Personally since I have been out of recompadrol, I have been using 3 caps neovar pre meals (unless they are feast meals of course ) I am using neovar since I have a bunch of bottles and short on funds right now
  10. Enhanced Body Formulations
    Board Sponsor

References for both of those?

10mg corosolic acid is a BIG jump from .48mg but me and you go back and I trust your feedback, would just like to read some on it.

Now just so we are clear, I am not saying more is bad, all I am saying is from what I reviewed, 48mg at 1% (in a gel capsule) has be shown to be effective and I tend to recommend what the literature supports. Now is more better? I dunno but I would like to see that 10mg study.

Personally since I have been out of recompadrol, I have been using 3 caps neovar pre meals (unless they are feast meals of course ) I am using neovar since I have a bunch of bottles and short on funds right now
    http://www.utcbanaba.com/PDF/article.pdf
  11. Registered User

****, let me catch up!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  12. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    ****, let me catch up!
    Snooze you loose Dr Coop!

I know you like the early 90s slang in there
  13. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Figured this is worth mentioning in this thread

Has anyone noticed the structural similarities between ursolic acid and corosolic acid?

Ursolic

Corosolic

And if I remember correctly, holy basil has been shown to lower blood sugar levels so maybe ursolic and corosolic share a common MOA (activate similar or the same pathways?)
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.

Has anyone noticed the structural similarities between ursolic acid and corosolic acid?

Ursolic

Corosolic

And if I remember correctly, holy basil has been shown to lower blood sugar levels so maybe ursolic and corosolic share a common MOA (activate similar or the same pathways?)
    I recall coming across something where the lesser know compound in banaba that coop mentions activating akt. I can't find the freaking study again though. Maybe coop can shed some light.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

Ursolic

Corosolic

I noticed when i take 1g UA (37%) on Atkins Diet I go hypo and the headaches (for low sugar) killing me.
    SNS Online Representative
    Maxximal @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

Got Glycophase ...?

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Banaba Powder (20% Corosolic Acid)!!!
    By Steveoph in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 11:08 PM
  2. Banaba Extract/Corosolic Acid help with dosage
    By AutoKal47 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
  3. Banaba 20% corosolic acid
    By monstermash in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
  4. PSlin / Corosolic Acid