New to body building, NEED ADVICE

  1. Registered User
    donrealme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    30

    Cool New to body building, NEED ADVICE


    Hello everyone,

    I just started working out at 24hr fitness. I'm heavy around my waist so I've been doing a ton of cardio to try and get rid of the belly fat. I've also been trying to lift pretty heavy. I know I need supplements I just don't know which to take. I'm thinking testosterone creme, multivitamins, protein powder (which kind and how much)? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to supplements. Any help is greatly appreciated. All the best!

    - Don

  2. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Nefukkinbraska
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532236

    What does your diet look like? Height/weight/bf% estimate?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kiwi in the United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,171
    Rep Power
    194004

    Quote Originally Posted by donrealme View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I just started working out at 24hr fitness. I'm heavy around my waist so I've been doing a ton of cardio to try and get rid of the belly fat. I've also been trying to lift pretty heavy. I know I need supplements I just don't know which to take. I'm thinking testosterone creme, multivitamins, protein powder (which kind and how much)? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to supplements. Any help is greatly appreciated. All the best!

    - Don
    Don, if you've just started training, then forget about supplements and just focus on your NUTRITION AND TRAINING, because they are what are going to get you results, not the supplements. If you're going to use supplements, stick to the basics of creatine, multivitamin, protein powder and good fats (the last three though, if your nutrition is good, you don't need).

    If your goal is fat loss, excessive cardio is not the answer. The key lies in your NUTRITION. Then your WEIGHTS.

    I recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basics needed), and training (inclusive of a sample training programme for the beginner and advanced trainees) for effective and successful fat loss. There's also several articles on training re fat loss here.

    If you don't know what you're doing with more personal research, then the best thing you can do IMO is get yourself a professional trainer who can and will design and individualize you a nutrition plan and training programme specific to your goals and needs, so that you don't have to second-guess anything and make the progress you want, as well as learn about what you're doing along the way.

    All the best!

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   
       

  4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    yep, nobody needs supplements. particularly your first 3-12 months, you'll see almost 0 in real result difference between using them and not using them. Save your money, work on the diet + workout routine.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Registered User
    roblasane's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,933
    Rep Power
    1016845

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    yep, nobody needs supplements. particularly your first 3-12 months, you'll see almost 0 in real result difference between using them and not using them. Save your money, work on the diet + workout routine.
    I do think a good pre workout provides results from the first workout.
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"
  6. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    Quote Originally Posted by roblasane View Post
    I do think a good pre workout provides results from the first workout.
    not for fat loss or direct muscle gain. Particularly in that first 3 to as long as 12 months, the amount of difference it will make vs not using it isn't significant. It may feel like it makes a difference, but mostly thats kick from stimulants. After that, something that provides decent dose of creatine monohydrate + beta alanine is worthwhile but most of the rest of ingredients in most preworkouts are for feel, not for function. Some will provide focus and motivational enhancement, but that really is more for strength gains, and i've found it handier to save those for "sticking" spots, when i've short term plateaued. I probably use a preworkout less than half the time. Mind you when I do, I prefer sledgehammer grade stuff
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Registered User
    donrealme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    What does your diet look like? Height/weight/bf% estimate?
    5'9" 198lbs bf i don't know - most of the fat is around my midsection.
  8. Registered User
    donrealme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    yep, nobody needs supplements. particularly your first 3-12 months, you'll see almost 0 in real result difference between using them and not using them. Save your money, work on the diet + workout routine.
    Right on, thanks!
  9. Registered User
    donrealme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee View Post
    Don, if you've just started training, then forget about supplements and just focus on your NUTRITION AND TRAINING, because they are what are going to get you results, not the supplements. If you're going to use supplements, stick to the basics of creatine, multivitamin, protein powder and good fats (the last three though, if your nutrition is good, you don't need).

    If your goal is fat loss, excessive cardio is not the answer. The key lies in your NUTRITION. Then your WEIGHTS.

    I recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - it contains comprehensive advice and information on nutrition, supplementation (only the basics needed), and training (inclusive of a sample training programme for the beginner and advanced trainees) for effective and successful fat loss. There's also several articles on training re fat loss here.

    If you don't know what you're doing with more personal research, then the best thing you can do IMO is get yourself a professional trainer who can and will design and individualize you a nutrition plan and training programme specific to your goals and needs, so that you don't have to second-guess anything and make the progress you want, as well as learn about what you're doing along the way.

    All the best!

    ~Rosie~
    Thanks for the reply Rosie! I've lost a few pounds doing an hour on the eliptical everyday and working a different muscle group. I think I still need extra protein for my muscles, someone at my gym said a gram of protein per lb of body weight. Do you know a good powder that has the things you suggest (creatine, protein, fats)? Thanks for the great info, I'll definitely check out your book
  10. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kiwi in the United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,171
    Rep Power
    194004

    Quote Originally Posted by donrealme View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rosie! I've lost a few pounds doing an hour on the eliptical everyday and working a different muscle group. I think I still need extra protein for my muscles, someone at my gym said a gram of protein per lb of body weight. Do you know a good powder that has the things you suggest (creatine, protein, fats)? Thanks for the great info, I'll definitely check out your book
    No worries Actually, one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is not required - you can see that from reading my article. I don't recommend using a protein powder that contains EVERYthing re creatine, etc., and if you're going to use one, just use something that is more strictly protein (most are going to have minimal or some carbohydrates and/or fat in as well, depending on the brand and product) - I personally don't use protein powder, but if you want a recommendation, then MyoFusion would be the one I suggest.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Rep Power
    768811

    Quote Originally Posted by donrealme View Post
    Thanks for the reply Rosie! I've lost a few pounds doing an hour on the eliptical everyday and working a different muscle group. I think I still need extra protein for my muscles, someone at my gym said a gram of protein per lb of body weight. Do you know a good powder that has the things you suggest (creatine, protein, fats)? Thanks for the great info, I'll definitely check out your book
    I agree with rosie, as little as .6g/lb works, so at 200lbs getting 120-160g is plenty. below .6/120 maybe there is some downside, but even down to as little as .4/80 probably is fine. The .6 grams was with collegiate level elite athletes maintiining muscle mass and performance.

    Solid food first. Protein powder is for convenience and last resort, not regular use. As with rosie, I barely use powder. the last 4lb 50 serving tub I bought lasted roughly 6 months. So eggs, chicken, fish, beef, cottage cheese, etc.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Building Your Character by Building Your Body
    By Future in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
  2. Body Building
    By J Jack3d in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM
  5. New to body building
    By Ironnino in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in