Best supps for am training on empty stomach. Goal is getting lean.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

The only time I can find to work out is 4:30 in the morning. I typically go on an empty stomach and a typical low carb pre-workout supp (Hyper FX, Jacked, etc.). Afterwards I drink a protein shake (gold standard), take my vitamins(mega men), and eat an apple. I am trying to lose my handles and maintain lean muscle. I have shifted to 3 cardio workouts (35 min high intensity) and 3 weightlifting workouts a week. If I have to miss a workout (usually on Saturday due to watching my 3yr old) it is usually weight training and i hit those body parts the next week. My biggest concern that by working out on an empty stomach I am sacrificing lean muscle for the sake of fat loss. Also I fear I am not supplementing correctly to utilize stored fat for energy.

Typical workouts:
    Monday - Elliptical - 35 mins extreme hill (sprint on easy parts, power through resistance), finish with abb wheel
    Tuesday - Chest and Legs - Start heavy end with drop sets
    Wednesday - Cycling - 35 mins extreme hill (sprint on easy parts, power through resistance), finish with abb wheel
    Thursday - Biceps and triceps - Start heavy end with drop sets
    Friday - Elliptical - 35 mins extreme hill (sprint on easy parts, power through resistance), finish with abb wheel
    Saturday (if possible)- Back and shoulders - Start heavy end with drop sets

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Mix up some BCAA's and sip them during your workout . I usually train very early myself on a empty stomach and I always have 1-2 servings of BCAA's before and during my training session.
    "Strive to seize the initiative in all things"

3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Bcaas before the gym with ec stack.

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

yohimbine hcl

5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Black coffee

6. Sunz out, Gunz out...
    Stats
    5'10"  183 lbs.
    Answers

I can't lift empty, I do a shake or small food & wait a hour.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    www.InsaneVeins.com

7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

I lift on an empty stomach around 430 or 5 too. I usually have a big cup of coffee and 10g bcaa with 2 scoops of ai maniac. Then mix up another 10g bcaa to drink during the session. Took me a couple days to get used to training with no food in me, but its purely a mental thing. You'll get over it.

Bcaa's are a MUST for fasted training for sure.
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Answers

I'm on the same boat when it comes to training early. I eat cantaloupe and I have a shake with bcaas 30 min b4. And sip on bcaas throughout my work out too!

9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cswalczakny
    I lift on an empty stomach around 430 or 5 too. I usually have a big cup of coffee and 10g bcaa with 2 scoops of ai maniac. Then mix up another 10g bcaa to drink during the session. Took me a couple days to get used to training with no food in me, but its purely a mental thing. You'll get over it.

Bcaa's are a MUST for fasted training for sure.
    Thanks for all the input. Looks like I could use some pre-workout BCAA's. Any suggestions.

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Bulk modern bcaa works great for me. Available at nutraplanet. It was $25/kg for a while, not sure what its at now as I bought 6 tubs. I'm set for a while!
    Formutech Nutrition Rep----------------Check out my CONQU3R log!:
    www.formutechnutrition.com------------- http://goo.gl/G8a4Ss
    www.facebook.com/fnutrition

11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

eggs oatmeal and coffee

12. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by roblasane View Post
    Mix up some BCAA's and sip them during your workout . I usually train very early myself on a empty stomach and I always have 1-2 servings of BCAA's before and during my training session.
    How can you train on an empty stomach while sipping some BCAA ?
    There's something wrong..

13. Diamond Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    I can't lift empty, I do a shake or small food & wait a hour.

So you're a FOODSHAGGER?.

14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.
    Answers

I train at 0500, and do like Aaron. I have a shake and a piece of fruit around 0400 when I wake up. Not a fan of using protein shakes to replace meals this way, but real life gets in the way sometimes.

15. Diamond Member
    Answers

BCAA
    Rauwolscine or Alpha-T2
    Caffeine
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES

16. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Karljustin View Post
    I typically go on an empty stomach and a typical low carb pre-workout supp (Hyper FX, Jacked, etc.). Drink a protein shake (gold standard), take my vitamins(mega men), and eat an apple after.
    My biggest concern that by working out on an empty stomach I am sacrificing lean muscle for the sake of fat loss. Also I fear I am not supplementing correctly to utilize stored fat for energy.
    first, you aren't working out on an empty stomach if you have a protein shake first - I may be misreading it, sounds like you eat the apple after, if you eat that all after, then i'm wrong on this part.

second, there isn't any particular evidence working out on an empty stomach increases fat loss.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

17. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Answers

absolutely you are playing with loaded dice on an empty stomach.

Here is what I did when I lifted first thing in the AM

when you get up to pee during the night have 2 scoops of Protean mixed with 1tbsp olive oil or pb or something.
    (you can manipulate what time this happens by regulating your water intake before bed)

Second, upon awakening you should take 10g bcaa with 1/2 cap of NEW dexaprine, it has the Rauwolscine everyone loves
    thirdly sip on Compete during workout,
    the whey hydrosolate is a great anti catabolic, and the rhodiola will help lessen the stress response you are slamming your body with during an AM workout.

hope this helps!
    you'll be lean, wired and jacked! ( well as jacked as protean and bcaa can get ya )
    New-Man Nutrition Services
    http://www.facebook.com/newmannutrition.newman?ref=ts
    Live Free, Train Hard

18. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Answers

BCAAs, Caffeine, Alpha-yohimbe

19. dvp
    Answers

Bcaa's and yohimbine hcl would be a no no due to the insulin response elicited by Bcaa's yes?

20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dvp
    Bcaa's and yohimbine hcl would be a no no due to the insulin response elicited by Bcaa's yes?
    Good question.....

21. Diamond Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dvp View Post

No insulin spike from bcaa.

22. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

if you are taking in 10g of bcaa over the span of an hour, there is next to no insulin response. Plus there isn't particularly good evidence in humans that insulin level affects yohimbine's effects. the human studies were not empty stomach/carb free and it was still effective.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far

23. dvp
    Answers

Thanks

24. Diamond Member
    Answers

It's definitely not optimal, but the negation of yohimbine's lipolytic effects by insulin is obviously dose-dependent. BCAAs are highly insulinogenic but the spike is short-lived, and exercise makes insulin take on a different role in the body. If you take 4g of Leucine with yohimbine, I'd see no issue.

25. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I have recently been reading about IF training on leangains site. Anyone have experience with this? Sounds like a good fit for my current schedule restrictions.

26. Diamond Member
    Answers

I have recently been reading about IF training on leangains site. Anyone have experience with this? Sounds like a good fit for my current schedule restrictions.
    I do it and love it, purely because it works around my schedule.

27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

it works. optimizes insulin sensitivity, raises growth hormone, makes you almost unable to gain significant bodyfat, lets you eat garbage foods again
    This space for rent

28. Pro Virili Parte
    Answers

Relevant to the BCAA intake and its effect on insulin discussion

The effects of BCAAs intake on insulin
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

29. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

https://www.**********************/ar...mbine-hcl.html

30. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

again, the human studies were 10mg yohimbine 2x a day, with no restrictions on meals around the doses and had significant fat loss
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17214405

The main aim of this study was to determine the effects of yohimbine supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in professional soccer players. The athletes (20 top-level male soccer players) were allocated to two randomly assigned trials. Subjects in the yohimbine group orally ingested tablets that contains yohimbine at a dose of 20 milligrams per day in two equal doses for 21 days. Subjects in the placebo group ingested an equal number of identical-looking pills that contained cellulose. There were no statistically significant changes in body mass and muscle mass within or between trials (p > 0.05) after the supplementation protocol. Percentage of body fat significantly decreased in the yohimbine group after the supplementation protocol (9.3 +/- 1.1 vs. 7.1 +/- 2.2%; p < 0.05). Furthermore, fat mass was significantly lower in the yohimbine versus placebo trial at postsupplementation assessment (7.1 +/- 2.2 vs. 9.2 +/- 1.9%; p < 0.05). There were no changes in exercise performance indicators (bench and leg press, vertical jump, dribble and power test results, shuttle run) within or between. trials (p > 0.05). No subject reported any side effects from yohimbine. The results of the current study indicate that supplementation with yohimbine combined with resistance training does not significantly alter the body mass, muscle mass, or performance indicators in professional soccer players. Nonetheless, yohimbine supplementation appears to be suitable as a fat loss strategy in elite athletes.
    significant bodyfat difference in 21 days.... WITHOUT worrying about insulin or eating.
    This space for rent

31. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL

it works. optimizes insulin sensitivity, raises growth hormone, makes you almost unable to gain significant bodyfat, lets you eat garbage foods again
    The only thing that I am unsure of is the fact that they say you can sub whey for BCAA's if necessary, but it seems like a descent amount of calories for fasting. Also, I have always been told that protein and carbs are essential immediately after your workout. Will BCAA's an hour post workout really have the same effect?

32. Diamond Member
    Answers

The only thing that I am unsure of is the fact that they say you can sub whey for BCAA's if necessary, but it seems like a descent amount of calories for fasting. Also, I have always been told that protein and carbs are essential immediately after your workout. Will BCAA's an hour post workout really have the same effect?

Who told you that?. People trying to sell you post workout products?. Or was it on the back of a supplement container?

33. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I always questioned it due to the effect of insulin spikes on GH post workout. I guess the f&$kers selling supplements are all in it together. Lots of BS out there on that topic.

34. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

about half of the people using various forms of IF don't have anything for 3-6 hours post workout due to scheduling and they all (including me) seem to be doing fine. 10g bcaa or 5g leucine an hour (taken rapidly, not slowly through the hour) has next to 0 insulin response but maximizes protein synthesis. you know how "they" say you need the protein to rebuild? what exactly do "they" think happens to the aminos from the breakdown of the existing muscles? Do they burst into flames/get peed out? a significant fraction are available for re-use, in rebuilding.

I always questioned it due to the effect of insulin spikes on GH post workout. I guess the f&$kers selling supplements are all in it together. Lots of BS out there on that topic.
    I will say that carbs in that "post workout window" can enhance FEELING of recovery. anything i've seen that looks at actual body comp shows pretty close to no difference.
    This space for rent

35. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    about half of the people using various forms of IF don't have anything for 3-6 hours post workout due to scheduling and they all (including me) seem to be doing fine. 10g bcaa or 5g leucine an hour (taken rapidly, not slowly through the hour) has next to 0 insulin response but maximizes protein synthesis. you know how "they" say you need the protein to rebuild? what exactly do "they" think happens to the aminos from the breakdown of the existing muscles? Do they burst into flames/get peed out? a significant fraction are available for re-use, in rebuilding.

I will say that carbs in that "post workout window" can enhance FEELING of recovery. anything i've seen that looks at actual body comp shows pretty close to no difference.
    What about whey instead of BCAA's 5 mins before AM workout?

36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Answers

lol at burst into flames. I recently reduced the amount of post w/o carbs I have by a significant amount and have seen zero change in recovery.

37. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

What about whey instead of BCAA's 5 mins before AM workout?
    if you want. so long as you keep total calories in the 50 or under range should be fine. the bcaas are nicer in my opinion, just the varieties of flavor available and them not being so thick + gloppy as whey. i'd rather have the lighter feeling in my stomach, but thats just me
    This space for rent

38. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Answers

What about ALCAR w/ the Yohimbine Hcl / BCAA combo? any additional benefit if taken PreW?
    :blindfold:

39. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by monstermash View Post
    What about ALCAR w/ the Yohimbine Hcl / BCAA combo? any additional benefit if taken PreW?
    some focus difference for the workout, not really a big fat loss or other difference. carnosines are more about establishing higher cellular concentration long term from what I can tell.
    This space for rent

40. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Answers

some focus difference for the workout, not really a big fat loss or other difference. carnosines* carnitines are more about establishing higher cellular concentration long term from what I can tell.
    I take it daily but wasn't sure if there was any fat-loss advantage to dosing pre. Thanks for clearing that up.
    :blindfold:

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. take on empty stomach
    By manosduras in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 08:54 PM
  2. On an Empty Stomach vs With Food Supps Question
    By skidalybop50 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  3. Take on an empty stomach