Chlorella & Spirulina

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone here use either of these supplements and if so what benefits did you notice when supplementing with these green supplements? My diet is very balanced. Lots of protein, healthy fats, and lots of good carbs sources as well as plenty of fresh green leafy green vegetables and fresh fruits. I also take vitamin c, fish oil, zma, nac, milk thistle, and a general multi vitiamin to cover anything I may have missed. Would there be any benefit to adding Broken Cell Wall Chlorella and/or Spirulina or would this be unneccesary and just a waste of money since I am probably getting most of my nutritional needs met already?

cj784

Awards
I've been taking spirulina for ~3 months and haven't really noticed anything groundbreaking. My diet & supplement protocol is pretty similar to yours and at 3-6 grams a day it hasn't produced any real noticeable effects. However, I do think that if you can afford it then its a useful supplement to include much like a multivitamin....just because you can't "see" it working doesn't mean its not good for overall health. Hope that helps!

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't really expecting anything spectacular or groundbreaking either. I mainly just wanted to get some more greens for a little extra clorophyl without having to eat anymore. Did it give you any benefit in terms of higher energy levels or digestive health?

cj784

Awards
Once again I can't really say...I've read from various media that it can increase energy levels in some but I never experienced anything noticeable and I take probiotics/digestive enzymes as well so nothing to report in that department either. I'm currently off of it and will probably get some more eventually and try to see if I can get a more accurate feel for any effects. At 3-6 grams a day (powder) the taste can actually overwhelm any protein shake which how I usually dosed it. If you've got the cash to spare then give it a shot as it's got a great nutrient profile however I think any noticeable effects would require a higher dose which is something I plan on trying next time although with pills.

If anyone else can chime in I'd be interested in their experiences as well...

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was debating between the pills or powder. How much does taste overwhelm your protein shake? Did you try just mixing in a small shot glass with water and shooting it straight? I was thinking about taking it either in shakes or in a small shot glass with water but now I am starting to think twice about the powder. I found some organic spirulina pills that I'll probably give a go just to see. Depending on the outcome, I found a good quality kilo size for broken cell wall chlorella powder that I might give a go after that.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was debating between the pills or powder. How much does taste overwhelm your protein shake? Did you try just mixing in a small shot glass with water and shooting it straight? I was thinking about taking it either in shakes or in a small shot glass with water but now I am starting to think twice about the powder. I found some organic spirulina pills that I'll probably give a go just to see. Depending on the outcome, I found a good quality kilo size for broken cell wall chlorella powder that I might give a go after that.
Go with pills, I tried spirulina powder and wasn't happy with the flavor. I never tried the chlorella so can't speak on it.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Go with pills, I tried spirulina powder and wasn't happy with the flavor. I never tried the chlorella so can't speak on it.
Ok thanks for the heads up. Will definitely go with the pills first and see how I do.

cj784

Awards
To give you an idea of the taste my pwo shakes generally consist of 2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oatmeal, banana and 200g strawberries. 2 teaspoons (~6g) was enough to alter the taste though not unbearable, however anytime I'd make a shake with fewer ingredients then it became pretty gross haha. Try the pills out, I only got powder b/c I got a really good deal on it

Reactions: hsk

hsk

Awards
  • Established
To give you an idea of the taste my pwo shakes generally consist of 2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oatmeal, banana and 200g strawberries. 2 teaspoons (~6g) was enough to alter the taste though not unbearable, however anytime I'd make a shake with fewer ingredients then it became pretty gross haha. Try the pills out, I only got powder b/c I got a really good deal on it
Thanks for letting me know! My protein shakes are usually just protein powder and water so I guess I will definitely notice the difference. I will be doing the pills then.

wandagustov

Awards
Does anyone here use either of these supplements and if so what benefits did you notice when supplementing with these green supplements? My diet is very balanced. Lots of protein, healthy fats, and lots of good carbs sources as well as plenty of fresh green leafy green vegetables and fresh fruits. I also take vitamin c, fish oil, zma, nac, milk thistle, and a general multi vitiamin to cover anything I may have missed. Would there be any benefit to adding Broken Cell Wall Chlorella and/or Spirulina or would this be unneccesary and just a waste of money since I am probably getting most of my nutritional needs met already?
Hi hsk! Been using chlorella for more than a year now. Benefits? It helps detoxify my body, boosts my immune system, and increases my energy as well. Or should I say, because of the added energy, I begin to be more workaholic now than before lol!

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I tried the spirulina pills for about a month and did not notice much except that it did help ward off hunger. Will try chlorella pills/tabs next to see if there is any difference.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude cheap and wonderful to.add into ur regimen. The list of postive benefits is.extremely long.