Flax oil info

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
Omega-3 fatty acid is important because it enables the body to make prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are a group of hormone like substances that mediate a wide range of physiological functions, such as metabolism, smooth muscle activity, and nerve transmission. And as mentioned before, they are important because they are derived from unsaturated fat.

The dieter's dilemma is that the Omega-3 fatty acids are hard to come by from food alone. You see, most dietary fat that we consume is highly processed saturated fat. And this type of fat does not contain many Omega 3 fatty acids. If it did, the general American population would not be as overweight as it is! Instead, saturated fats contain trans fatty acids, which cause high cholesterol and do not have any beneficial effects on the metabolism.

In contrast, High Lignan Flax Oil, does not contain trans fatty acids and as mentioned before is the richest source of the Omega 3 fatty acids. The dietitians, doctors, and old-school bodybuilders who claim that all fat is bad and that all fat makes you fat are just plain wrong! Most Americans are deficient in the Omega-3 fatty acids because it is almost impossible to get them from diet alone without supplementation. And since the Prostaglandins that mediate metabolism and muscle activity are derived from Omega-3 fatty acid, it is crucial to have enough of it around for the body to burn fat.

This is not speculation, but researched fact. A diet higher in Omega-3 fatty acids of which High Lignan Flax Oil is the richest source, will have more lean muscle, lower bodyfat, and better health. In fact, the Omega-3's are so important, that they have been found to be all of the following:

Cholesterol reducing (the perfect fat to include on a Ketogenic or Atkins diet)

Anti-lipogenic (they block fat storage)

Anti-catabolic (they prevent muscle breakdown)

Increase lipolysis and beta oxidation (Fat burning -- even the brown fat cells in the love handles)

Improve insulin sensitivity (Keeping blood sugar levels down and metabolism high)

Increase thermogenesis (Slightly elevated body temperature promotes faster fat burning)

Adding flaxseed oil to your foods, or taken with a meal, creates a feeling of satiation (feeling of fullness and satisfaction following a meal). The essential fats in flaxseed oil cause the stomach to retain food for a longer period of time as compared to no-fat or low-fat foods. The addition of Flax Oil to food results in a gradual release of nutritients into the small intestine. The physiological effect is a slow, sustained rise in blood sugar, then a prolonged plateau of blood sugar. Ultimately, the blood sugar undergoes a slow and gradual drop.

You will experience a corresponding feeling of prolonged energy, stamina and satisfaction with no immediate hunger pangs following the meal. The net result is that you feel fuller, longer and, actually eat fewer calories in the long run than if you would have chosen a no-fat or low-fat diet.

We generally recommend that athletes take one tablespoon of High Lignan Flax Oil per 75lbs of bodyweight. Some Pro athletes take up to 10 tablespoons of High Lignan Flax Oil per day and still LOST bodyfat. Flax oil does not convert to bodyfat, not ever. And this fact alone, makes it the perfect supplement for a dieter, and the perfect food for a hardgainer needing a way to increase calories.

In addition, the lignans in Flax Seed Oil have been shown to have potent anti-estrogenic effects. This is of special interest to bodybuilders who are always looking to increase their testosterone to estrogen ratio.

h19

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Very informative. Thanx... Talk to ya

true_c

Awards
hey man nice post - didnt know there was even that much to know bout flax ...

very helpful

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
ive always believed there is an ideal range (3-4 tablespoons or 3-5g in caps) that one should take in. too less, you arent getting the benefits from your usage, too much...possible negative affects (bodyfat)??

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
It does not readily convert to bodyfat.

In theory you are correct if calories burned does not exceed calories taken in, then you will gain body fat. Obviously

I just think the flax oil has a very high bioavailability and does not get converted to fat. Im assuming it has to do with the way the body sees it when it enters the system.

But why someone would take that much of the flax anyway would be a better question..lol

later

h19

ChaseRoy

Awards
hamper,

if someone were dieting for a contest can you explain the difference for the body between flax and MCT's? i understand that MCT's are a shorter chain. However, can you explain if there is any superior benefit to using MCT's rather then Flax or some other fat? Thanks in advance.

DarCSA

Awards
That is a great post man. Great info on flax. Hope to see more great posts like that on other products. Thanks for the info man. It was very informative. Answered some questions for me about the stuff. Planning on trying it on my next order.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, going by what reading I have done. I would say MCT oils might be slightly better. Most Flax oil is not high in Lignans and ideally you want one that is. Therefore going by what is available at most places MCT might be better. Plus MCT is burned faster due to the carbons like you had mentioned.

Omege-3 Fatty Acids

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 22 carbons and 6 double bonds
Eicosapenataenoic acid (EPA) 20 carbons and 5 double bonds
Alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA) 18 carbons and 3 double bonds

Omega-6
Linoleic acid (LA) 18-carbon backbone, 2 double bonds

MCT-(Medium Chain Triglycerides

typically contain between
6-14 carbon atoms.

A few links to do some reading, good info---

http://www.crnusa.org/benpdfs/CRN010benefits_omega3.pdf

http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/The ketogenic diet/Supplements for the ketogenic diet/MCT oil.htm

http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=198

general info on Lipids-

http://nutrition.hhdev.psu.edu/courses/nutr251/nutr251www/lipid/lipdef.html

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Bump

want to see if it works.

bigbadboss101

Awards
I ask the lady at the health food store about Omega3/6 oils and she told me about the Udo oil, which is a combination of flax, sunflower and other sources. Then there is flax, fish, and hemp oil. She said hemp is more expensive but has the best ratio of omega 3 to 6. I bought a 946ml bottle of flax oil. That should last a while...

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
but flax also has lignans which are good.....and hemp oil tastes like ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ever tried hemp beer? its horrible..

i imagine hemp oil straight is just nasty

h19

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
It may not readily convert to fat in the body because it is an essential fat, not produced by the body. Body probably soaks it up like a sponge and puts it to use as it is digested.

Flax oil don't taste that great either. Anybody else use ground flax seeds? Good source of fiber in addition to the fats that the oil supplies.

U of R Man

Awards
Bump to the ground seeds for the added fiber...They don't taste as bad as the pure oil to me either...Good post by the way.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
I get mine from the grocery store. Many of them around here have them, from Bob's Red Mill. GNC (I know, I know) also has them, both house brand and one from Health from the Sun. I believe you can find it online as well.