An interesting graph: Snake oil supplements

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hopefully a thread doesn't exist on this. An interesting graph. Obviously it doesn't take everything into account, but maybe it will spark a good discussion. Anything higher or lower than you expected? You can click on the image and blow it up as well since it's a png

Snake Oil Supplements « Science-Based Life

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
nice post! thanks
It's interesting...I'm most interested in what people think on some of these supplements or if they completely disagree with the placement of something and why.

J19891

J19891

Awards
Glad to see acai down at the botom where it belongs. I'd like to see a graph contrasting this one with the annual revenues from the sales of each, I bet acai would be near top tier.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Where are the raspberry ketones ??

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice find! Interesting graph! Balloons?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's actually pretty inaccurate.
I was gonna say... Vit A, E is not worth it? Lol

Taurine too...? I wonder what they based this on...? If it's the amount of studies and not their worth than I guess it makes sense....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
There does not seem to be an emphasis on sports supplementation, or any consideration whatsoever. Creatine was listed as a cognitive aid FFS

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is actually a cognitive aid, but my point was that they didn't even acknowledge creatine's ergogenic evidence.
Yes it has many flaws, it was more a food for discussion type thing when I saw it. It appears the biggest flaw is looking at one or a few specific things about it the supplement.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Lmao. Placebo ftw.
LOL, yeah, someone should tell that to my legs...

Up until today I could barely run 15 minutes on the treadmill at 7mph... Today I went for 40 at the same 7 and could've gone for another 20 or more if I wasn't late.

HUGE Placebo.

Tnoel

Awards
I would need to know what this is based on exactly before I put any stock into it ... some of it just doesn't seem logical.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was gonna say... Vit A, E is not worth it? Lol

Taurine too...? I wonder what they based this on...? If it's the amount of studies and not their worth than I guess it makes sense....
I'm assuming in the case of vitamins he's talking about extra supplementation than the RDA or what one would get from a typical diet. I.E. no reason to add extra Vitamin A via supplementation.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would need to know what this is based on exactly before I put any stock into it ... some of it just doesn't seem logical.
"It should be noted that they are only rated for the health conditions listed below or within each balloon." This is by far the biggest flaw behind the graph.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
LOL, yeah, someone should tell that to my legs...

Up until today I could barely run 15 minutes on the treadmill at 7mph... Today I went for 40 at the same 7 and could've gone for another 20 or more if I wasn't late.

HUGE Placebo.
From creatine? Lol

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
From creatine? Lol
I'm telling you, it was THE only thing I added to my routine. I went from running barely 10 - 15 minutes to going full at it for 40. Can't quite explain it either.

Last week I biked only, did go hard on it, but I can't believe that THAT would have made me go from a struggler at 10 min to a runner for 40.

Today I did it again, took my creatine, went for 40 minutes, ran 6 miles, no joke. Same supps as I used to take before (BCAA, Yohimbine, Caffeine, Katanadrol), THE only difference between the controlled and the hypothesis group (granted, N=1, Me) was the addition of Creatine.

And mind you, I had not even read this thread when I decided to add it to my workout. It really made me keep going. Today I boosted the speed to 7.4 and it went just fine. I was DRENCHED when I left. I may have walked for perhaps 1 minute, when I was going for my water and to towel myself off.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Yeah...they listed "diarrhoea" as a supplement. I wonder if anybody here eats diarrhoea as a supplement and what have been the effects? Appetite suppressant is my guess.

It's actually pretty inaccurate.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
I agree with Mr. Cooper, it seems pretty outdated, and the emphasis seems to be on general health, and life extension
It does not address ergogenic and performance enhancing supplements.