Supplements for Running Endurance

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
So today I had to do some police physical testing. On top of not working out much in the last 2-3 weeks, my allergies kicking my ass (main culprit) and over all just being tired from lack of sleep, I didn't do a good job.

I had to run half a mile in 5 minutes of less, which I completed it but I was dead last with a fat guy who doesn't even lift. Not a fun time at all. It's a wake up call to take cardio more seriously (which would also help me in burning cals which would burn some body fat) so I'm def going to get into the grove cause that was embarrassing as hell.

Never done much cardio in the past (once a month if I was lucky) but I need to test again soon and I want my time to be better and not feel like shyt when I'm done so any advice on any endurance sups, breathing techniques or what ever could help me run/do cardio more efficiently and not be last would be great; Cause looking good dont mean shyt out there you got to be able to move & quick.

Thx in advance.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sprints buddy! Sprints and running stairs helped out a lot during my Fire academy. Sprints themselves helped me shave a solid 01:30 off my 2 mile. My last 2 mile was 13:08. Honestly tho sprints dude. I know i'm being repetitive as sh1t but that's cuz i'm a believer

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of my favorite things to do is find a good long line of street poles and sprint one set then walk another, repeat. Do that for about 15 min and call it good. I'd only do it 2 - 3x a week at most.

I throw up every time I do them, literally. When I say sprint I mean all out everything you've got.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Thx for the advice.

The heavier guy who was last threw up after the challenges & still had better times than me. :(

There was another heavier dude who was smoking the course and he was a good 30-40lbs over weight not in a good way either.

I was probably in the top 10 of the heaviest people there out of like 10 girls and 20 guys...

Everyone else were 175 or less... Some people looked 140-150lbs.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Creatine will help
Supplement wise I remember reading somewhere that creatine.helped with endurance a little. A few pub med articles I believe. I'd look into beta alanine also and agmatine. The real success will come from just getting out there and doing it.

Believe me I feel ya! I hate cardio bro, hate it!

Sorry should have put that all in one post

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
One of my favorite things to do is find a good long line of street poles and sprint one set then walk another, repeat. Do that for about 15 min and call it good. I'd only do it 2 - 3x a week at most.

I throw up every time I do them, literally. When I say sprint I mean all out everything you've got.
See man that's the thing.... I shouldn't have to vomit to do this. I should be able to run this job this easy. I got some work to do and lifting is on the back burner for a bit. Me bulking up to this 25lbs in the last year is not a good thing apparently.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Supplement wise I remember reading somewhere that creatine.helped with endurance a little. A few pub med articles I believe. I'd look into beta alanine also and agmatine. The real success will come from just getting out there and doing it.

Believe me I feel ya! I hate cardio bro, hate it!

Sorry should have put that all in one post
Yeah I had quit creatine. Started back on that today. Took agmatine last night :lol: and I think I read that beta-alanine helps. I have some hemavol samples I may take for my next bout....
May have to get on the Anavite multi-vitamin too.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thx for the advice.

The heavier guy who was last threw up after the challenges & still had better times than me. :(

There was another heavier dude who was smoking the course and he was a good 30-40lbs over weight not in a good way either.

I was probably in the top 10 of the heaviest people there out of like 10 girls and 20 guys...

Everyone else were 175 or less... Some people looked 140-150lbs.
lololol!!! I've seen some sh1t! I had a sgt in the army who smelt like nothing but cigs and vodka and would smoke the sh1t out of us during our runs. It's just like anything else some people are naturally better than others or enjoy it more. Remember during the run the more you suck that sh1t up and dig deep the faster it will be over.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
lololol!!! I've seen some sh1t! I had a sgt in the army who smelt like nothing but cigs and vodka and would smoke the sh1t out of us during our runs. It's just like anything else some people are naturally better than others or enjoy it more. Remember during the run the more you suck that sh1t up and dig deep the faster it will be over.
Word... Cigs & vodka and still making time :lol: gotta love it!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Sprints are good

20 seconds on 40 seconds off on a bike is a good starting point.

I also do this routine where i swing a sledge hammer 10 times on each arm into the ground as hard as i can> do 20 star jumps> then a shuttle run for 30 metres and back. I keep repeating thsi cycle for 10-20 min. You can push as hard as you want to or back off when you need to and the sledge hammer gives your lungs a break, works your muscles and keeps your heart rate high. It gets you in shape fast. id recomend this for fastest results.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
See man that's the thing.... I shouldn't have to vomit to do this. I should be able to run this job this easy. I got some work to do and lifting is on the back burner for a bit. Me bulking up to this 25lbs in the last year is not a good thing apparently.
I'm not saying that I vomit because of lack of conditioning. I'm saying I vomit because I push myself that hard every time I run. That's the only way to get better. Maybe not throwing up but progressing. Just like hitting the weights gotta keep track of times and get better every time.

Yeah I had quit creatine. Started back on that today. Took agmatine last night :lol: and I think I read that beta-alanine helps. I have some hemavol samples I may take for my next bout....
May have to get on the Anavite multi-vitamin too.
Nah I wouldn't drop a bunch of cash on some new stuff. You're a smart guy, take the stuff you already have, hit the pavement and grind it out. You got this bro

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sprints are good

I also do this routine where i swing a sledge hammer 10 times on each arm into the ground as hard as i can> do 20 star jumps> then a shuttle run for 30 metres and back. I keep repeating thsi cycle for 10-20 min. You can push as hard as you want to or back off when you need to and the sledge hammer gives your lungs a break, works your muscles and keeps your heart rate high. It gets you in shape fast. id recomend this for fastest results.
Nice. Don't have a sledge hammer around though.

Sprints seem to be the key here.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sprints are good

Sledge kills man, no doubt! Another thing we do during PT. Anything along the lines of intervals I think will give you a great start. Just remember to track and progress.

I'm outta here bro steak time

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HemaVol is an incredible endurance aid. I would definitely look into it for its Citrulline Malate content

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/millennium-sport-technologies/cordygen5-90-caps.html

I will be honest I have never used Cordyceps before, but on a board I used to frequent a lot of people were huge fans of this supplement.

You might also keep an eye out for Cardiotryx which Matt and Southland are bringing out. You can read about it in the Southland company forums, but I have no idea how close it is to seeing the light of day.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
HemaVol is an incredible endurance aid. I would definitely look into it for its Citrulline Malate content
Yeah I have two or three sample packets you sent me.

I actually may snag a tub of this cause I need a stim break & some endurance help as well.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/millennium-sport-technologies/cordygen5-90-caps.html

I will be honest I have never used Cordyceps before, but on a board I used to frequent a lot of people were huge fans of this supplement.

You might also keep an eye out for Cardiotryx which Matt and Southland are bringing out. You can read about it in the Southland company forums, but I have no idea how close it is to seeing the light of day.
Thx Geo.
I'll look into that in a bit.

Eventually I will get better at the cardio I just have to stay consistent. I need to do a swim test and another agility test so time is of the essence.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Don't have a sledge hammer around though.

Sprints seem to be the key here.
You could buy one? They dont cost too much. And if you dont have a spot on the ground you can hit you can get an old car tyre and hit that. However you dont have to use a sledge hammer, be inventive :) a broom would work, but i like somthing heavier. Suppliments are not the answer here though as by the sound of it, you just need to work on cardio. If youve never done much you can hardly expect to be great at it. I gotta admit though if i didnt play basketball i would never be inspired to do cardio.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
You could buy one? They dont cost too much. And if you dont have a spot on the ground you can hit you can get an old car tyre and hit that. However you dont have to use a sledge hammer, be inventive :) a broom would work, but i like somthing heavier. Suppliments are not the answer here though as by the sound of it, you just need to work on cardio. If youve never done much you can hardly expect to be great at it. I gotta admit though if i didnt play basketball i would never be inspired to do cardio.
Very true statement.
I'll just have to work at it....
Well thx fellas, I be sleeping on the thoughts and as always I appreciate the feedback.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Go with SNS Citrulline malate. It is proven to increase aerobic work capacity in humans. Nitrates in the form of Pump-Bol and COP (SNS or Epharm brand) may also help.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
well it would make sense during running ATP is use and creatine help replenish ATP
Yea dude but not a real drastic effect... I bet it would almost go unnoticed if you didn't add in the placebo effect.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Run Hemavol+Beta Alanine and you should see some great results, I know that combo worked great for my endurance.

Body Octane is also another great option for this area.

Simply I would say Beta Alanine would be the most cost effective and adding that to something with a good dose of Cit Mal (6-8 grams), LCLT/GPLC, and/or Nitrates is the way to go IMO.

beni182

beni182

Awards
I think Epimedium with 20-40% Icariin content helps me the best with improved breathing during endurance activities. Examples of products with high does would be the original Bioforge V1 and CEL PCT Assist.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
Supplement wise: Icariin Extract 40% or higher (you'll need 250mg-500mg of actives to get a decent endurance effect), Cordyceps Extract 7% or higher, Creapure, Beta Alanine, Citrulline Mallate, ALCAR, and anything else that can help with ATP production or recycling

These are all supplements I have used and know for a fact increase cardio endurance. I can't say for sure regarding Agmatine but I am about to test that theory myself as I have some on the way and have been wanting to try it for cardio endurance and/or its possible analgesic benefits.

Other than that, pace yourself and make sure your are using good form when you run. You should be aware of your foot placement, the rythym of your strides, your arms should be close to your sides and should move in sync with your strides, and try to keep a pace that will allow you to maintain steady breathing. Also do sprints to help with sudden changes in pace. This way you can make sure you keep a good pace for the majority of the 5 mins, and depending where you are for the last minute or so, you can speed up and it won't be such a shock to your body all of a sudden.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly conditioning is where you are going to see the best results. You need to get your ass out and run. People have the right idea saying sprints, especially since your test is .5 mile. Though you need variation and proper programming as well. My suggestion for you is to look up Crossfit Endurance and follow their sport specific portion of the workout. You can still lift any which way you want, then do CFE's run workout 3 hours before or after lifting. I have ran races from 5k up to full marathons following it while lifting 5x5 and such. In fact I just ran a half marathon yesterday.

bmftisftw

bmftisftw

Banned
Awards
I always hate this, these are the guys who do nothing and still destroy the pt test. makes me feel like a total ****bag haha

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always hate this, these are the guys who do nothing and still destroy the pt test. makes me feel like a total ****bag haha
Some ppl are just made to run... And also have a much higher pain tolerance for lactic acid build up.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Honestly conditioning is where you are going to see the best results. You need to get your ass out and run. People have the right idea saying sprints, especially since your test is .5 mile. Though you need variation and proper programming as well. My suggestion for you is to look up Crossfit Endurance and follow their sport specific portion of the workout. You can still lift any which way you want, then do CFE's run workout 3 hours before or after lifting. I have ran races from 5k up to full marathons following it while lifting 5x5 and such. In fact I just ran a half marathon yesterday.
Yeah it's wild, there's people that look horrible and are killing me in running. I was def one of those people not made to run that's for sure.

CaptHowdy5150

CaptHowdy5150

Awards
  • Established
I'll be taking some of this advice and applying it as well. Not only do I want to drop some of this bf, but I'm not giving up on my goal of joining a Police force. Here, the run portion of the PT is a mile and a half in 15 minutes. I know I can handle every other portion of the test, just gettin my cardio on point to do that run. Good luck on your test Aaron. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to running, but I'm sure we can both conquer it.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll be taking some of this advice and applying it as well. Not only do I want to drop some of this bf, but I'm not giving up on my goal of joining a Police force. Here, the run portion of the PT is a mile and a half in 15 minutes. I know I can handle every other portion of the test, just gettin my cardio on point to do that run. Good luck on your test Aaron. I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to running, but I'm sure we can both conquer it.
Agreed. Not going to suffer defeat...
Get back in the game here soon, I fell off the last few weeks.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Borrowed this from another thread. Should help you both out. Be inspired...

A man who wants something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse."
-Stephan Dolley Jr.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sprints buddy! Sprints and running stairs helped out a lot during my Fire academy. Sprints themselves helped me shave a solid 01:30 off my 2 mile. My last 2 mile was 13:08. Honestly tho sprints dude. I know i'm being repetitive as sh1t but that's cuz i'm a believer
Sprints are good

This is just like wt lifting . . . supps will help you get stronger . . . IF you train hard.

If you want to improve your endurance/cardio fitness supps will help a bit, but you have to follow the training regiment to get results.

Last year I implemented endurance supps for my tri training: cit mal, ba, , creatine, & cordyceps

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Borrowed this from another thread. Should help you both out. Be inspired...

A man who wants something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse."
-Stephan Dolley Jr.
:lol:

I like that...

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm pretty sure you guys could do 1.5 miles in 15 minutes if your job depended on it... I haven't run long distances in years but I do sprint and play tennis so I guess I'm not a total "tank" but I'm pretty sure if you told me no money unless you can do this, I'd get it done in less than 15.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Completing it was one thing.... Just not being in the pack was not fun at all... I'll def have to fix that. I'll make sure every gym session I'll get a good dose of cardio in; Some way shape or form.

The 1.5 miles is the same concept, half a mine in 5 mins or less, but damn they have running for ever...

Never heard of a perp chase lasting 15 minutes, let alone a mile and a half.... :boggled: doesn't mean it didn't happen though. :lol:

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Completing it was one thing.... Just not being in the pack was not fun at all... I'll def have to fix that. I'll make sure every gym session I'll get a good dose of cardio in; Some way shape or form.

The 1.5 miles is the same concept, half a mine in 5 mins or less, but damn they have running for ever...

Never heard of a perp chase lasting 15 minutes, let alone a mile and a half.... :boggled: doesn't mean it didn't happen though. :lol:
I caution against your statement of one form of cardio no matter what. Sure, other forms of cardio will have benefit. However, simple matter of fact is that the single best way to to get good at running is to in fact run. Be sure to have it as your majority form of cardio.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I caution against your statement of one form of cardio no matter what. Sure, other forms of cardio will have benefit. However, simple matter of fact is that the single best way to to get good at running is to in fact run. Be sure to have it as your majority form of cardio.
Understood.
Glad u reminded me. Means no stairmaster.

My gym doesn't have a track, so I'll be on the treadmill or outside.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
Man that is just sad, if you hate doing cardio jsut imagine the benefits you'll get from it.

strengthen your heat, lungs, brain etc..
you'll get to have sex longer
you'll last longer in sports, fights etc..

man, cardio > weight lighting in my opinion.

whats the whole point to get all big and muscular if u dont have the engine to run it?

luckily u didnt go to the beach and played some tackle football, the biggest dude there getting gassed out looking sloppy would be even funnier hahaha

just like someone starting out lifting weights u shouldnt touch supplements til u build a foundation.

u dont need a track and please dont use a treadmill, a treadmill and running outside is 2 different worlds.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
u barely did a 10 minute mile speed, if u was having issues doing under 5 minutes half mile i doubt u can even do a 10 minute mile.

thats crazy to me, at least from someone who's into fitness..

get on that man, thats very unhealthy.

allergies isnt even a excuse, i have allergies and exercise-induced ashtma, i dont even use my inhaler no more and i jog after a workout outside 3 miles and i go very slow and my body doesnt even let me do a 10 minute mile, i do 9 minute miles after a workout and i feel like im walking.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
u barely did a 10 minute mile speed, if u was having issues doing under 5 minutes half mile i doubt u can even do a 10 minute mile.

thats crazy to me, at least from someone who's into fitness..

get on that man, thats very unhealthy.

allergies isnt even a excuse, i have allergies and exercise-induced ashtma, i dont even use my inhaler no more and i jog after a workout outside 3 miles and i go very slow and my body doesnt even let me do a 10 minute mile, i do 9 minute miles after a workout and i feel like im walking.
I know I need to fix it.
I'm working on fixing it.
Don't come to my thread being a dïck, have a good day bud... See ya.... Bye.

You will learn here quick we don't bash others, we help each other.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
I know I need to fix it.
I'm working on fixing it.
Don't come to my thread being a dïck, have a good day bud... See ya.... Bye.
Im not being a dick, dont get sensitive.

Instead of making a thread about what supplements u should take u should of asked advice on cardio work outs.

I dont see why anyone with your level of cardio fitness is going to take anything other than water,

I just find it funny for someone who is a mod on a workout forum and doesnt do a lick of cardio, it just dont seem right.
I dont see anyone nice to the 18 year old with no workout experience asking about steroids and thats how I see u right now asking for supplements for running if u can barely do a 10 minute mile.

Your trying to become a police man but it never crossed your mind u need to run?

I thought we all were grown men in here Ill speaking to you the same way I would face to face, if u want a pat on your head and some sugar coating then u should of asked your mother for advice.

Dont PM me threatening me cause I hurt your feelings.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
where in florida u live?

if your in south florida let me know my workouts revolve around on a school track, ill link up and help you out

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He's right dude... Don't come in here clowning on him. Making someone feel bad is not motivating.

Also, maybe running to you is above weight lifting but to others including myself the gym takes precedence. Cool voice your opinion but if you don't have anything good to offer in a positive way why comment in the thread.

He's taking the first step to getting those times up and that's awesome. Just because you think that since you enjoy running and can do so well (from what you say) doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like cardio who lift more than you but they're not going to come in and call you weak. Just differences in what others enjoy doesn't make it right or wrong.

Positivity is key here pressure. We help each other out with motivation to obtain our goals.

You got this Aaron! No sweat bro! Just like when you started out benching the Bar as a kid, you gotta start somewhere.

pressureSpike

Banned
Awards
He's right dude... Don't come in here clowning on him. Making someone feel bad is not motivating.

Also, maybe running to you is above weight lifting but to others including myself the gym takes precedence. Cool voice your opinion but if you don't have anything good to offer in a positive way why comment in the thread.

He's taking the first step to getting those times up and that's awesome. Just because you think that since you enjoy running and can do so well (from what you say) doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't like cardio who lift more than you but they're not going to come in and call you weak. Just differences in what others enjoy doesn't make it right or wrong.

Positivity is key here pressure. We help each other out with motivation to obtain our goals.

You got this Aaron! No sweat bro! Just like when you started out benching the Bar as a kid, you gotta start somewhere.
You believe someone who starting out benching with just the bar should be asking what supplements he should take?

I wasent being negative, I never said he can't do it, he is just making excuses (allergies) even though he never does cardio and trying find a easy way out (what supplements should I take?) as oppose to facing it and doing it right.

im not a runner, i dont do no marathons or love taking jogs.

i just understand that cardio is VERY important and I would think anyone else who is into fitness shares the same belief. Im just more so surprised that a person who workouts and is trying to become a officer doesnt do cardio, that's all.

its not that serious

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I get man.
Thanks for you help.

In honestly no one hear suggested sups. Most of the people who commented here are right. I don't need shyt but to just do it... That's what I'm going to do. Start out little by little until I get to where I need to be.

MrMarc

MrMarc

Awards
You can try this.

1 mile every other day, then next week 1 mile everyday, next after that 2 miles ever other day, next week 2 mile everyday and so on.

Fastest pace for the every other day running. Everyday running slow and steady.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In regards to simply increasing mileage weekly follow the 10% rule. Never increase your mileage more then about 10% each week. Doing otherwise opens yourself up and increase your chances of injuries. I know 10% doesn't seem like much and a slow way to progress but it's a standard in the running community for a reason.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Might have to get me some vodka and ciggarettes....

Any particular brand of cigs? Marlboro? New Ports? Virginia Slims?

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Incorporate jumping rope. It's hard as hell but IMO it is the single best cardio exercise. It forces your arms and legs to move in unison that'll help with your running form and it makes you explosive . Boxers don't run on treadmills they jump rope and do road work.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Might have to get me some vodka and ciggarettes....

Any particular brand of cigs? Marlboro? New Ports? Virginia Slims?
Def the Newports brotha man! Nothing gives you're lungs a swift kick in the twat like a good ol fashioned Newport : ) vodka = skol or McCormick the dirtier the better!!!