iForce Protean- Red Velvet Cake review

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
Thanks to the people at iForce for hooking me up with a tub of delicious red velet cake...I mean RVC Protean!

I had read good reviews of this product in the past, along the lines of "oh I can even taste the icing!!!", buy lets be honest 99.5% of whey tastes like crap, which who cares? We drink whey for the protein/AA profile, if we want something that tastes good, have to buy some cheesecake. Having said that, the RVC exceeded my expectations immensely.

Firstly, taste. I tried two methods of mixing (more on that later). When I first opene the tunlb, immediately put 1scoop into 8oz cold water, shook it up, took a slug of it. Flavor wasnt bad, not very sweet, could definitely taste the protein component. Second method was to mix 2 scoops into 16oz col water and let it chill overnight in the fridge. This batch wound up tasting awesome, almost too sweet for me, and hek I could taste the icing on the cake as they say. This stuff is like dessert. I havent even tried blending with fruit/PB/oatmeal yet, nor have I tried mixing with milk, simply because if mixed and left to settle for a while, the RVC tastes good and becomes almost a milk-consistency on its own.

Secondly, mixability. I believe we expect all wheys toix like crap, clump up, or become chalky. Not so with this product. 15 seconds shaking in a mixer bottle yields a damn-near complete dissolution. Very impressive for a whey that is a complex flavor profile like RVC. And as mentione above, if it is left to set, becomes richer and thicker in consistency.

Thirdly, the important part: nutritional profile. 20gm protein, 4gm fat, 6.5gm carbs per scoop. First ingredient is protein, as it ahould be. Whey concentrate, isolate, hydrolysate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate. Good balanced mix of protein, inclusion of casein makes this good at all times of the day and for those looking to use an easy-mixing powdered protein during a cut. Next on the list is the Fat Burning Lipid Blend. I confess I didnt know that medium chain triglycerides and safflower oil were fat burners, but these two ingredients are probably what causes the milky or creamy texture of the RVC. Digestion Disperion Blend, fancy term for stabilizers and emulsifiers- carageenan, cellulose gum, xantham gum, soy lecithin. Necessary and found in most processed foods, as are the natural/artificial flavors. I want to make one large point and give iForce kudos- they have used red beet powder to color this product, as opposed to red #40, which is a byproduct of crushed bugs and happens to be linked with ADD behavior. Also, the sweeteners used are sucralose and Ace K (acesulfame potassium), much better choices than aspartame.

Overall, excellent product. Flavor is on target, mixes extremely easily, zero chalkiness or clumping observed. Ingredients are comprehensive, although on the low side of protein-per-scoop. But it is a diverse range of protein delivered in those servings, as the packaging states "worlds most versatile protein", it hits that mark. The tub I received wa a 2lb variant, with 24 1oz scoop servings. At 20 gm protein per serving, a 5 or 10lb tub would be a more economical choice.

I would highly recommend this to those who desire an easy to mix, great tasting protein that can be taken at any point in the day. Me, i like it a a dessert, as it is sweet and is a better choice than actual red velvet cake.

Thanks again iForce!

mnowak1228

Awards
Try mixing it with 6oz of warm milk or Almond milk.......instead of 8oz of water. You will fall even more in love with this!! Good review, and thank you!!

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1scoop/4oz water = hnnnnnngggggg

thanks for the great review!

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
1scoop/4oz water = hnnnnnngggggg

thanks for the great review!
^this x2. you wouldn't think it works, but 4 oz is like the magic number for optimum taste lol and the consistency is still great.

great review OP, and really glad you enjoyed it so much :)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome man, great reviews. Thanks a lot!

Mike