Awards
Some say PROTIEN is more important..

Some say its CARBS AND BCAAs.

well what is it?

Best bet to Get it all in?

MrMarc

MrMarc

Awards
Am still figuring out how this is even a question.

Protein.

mdef

Awards
I actually read a response by Hany Rambod in the latest Muscular Devolopment Magazine, and he suggests that Carbs and Bcaas are more important than protien Post Workout... I dont know if it was just marketing for his Evo line, (which consists of Carbs/Gylco/Bcaa Products) but none the less, I would love to get a definite answer to this debate.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
BCAAs are protein. And like protein, they can spike both MPS and insulin just fine and don't need additional carbohydrates. The first half of the biphasic postworkout insulin peak (and the only half you should be concerned about, if any) is carbohydrate-independent anyway.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BCAAs are protein. And like protein, they can spike both MPS and insulin just fine and don't need additional carbohydrates. The first half of the biphasic postworkout insulin peak (and the only half you should be concerned about, if any) is carbohydrate-independent anyway.
^^This..

Just get a real meal in and don't stress the minor details. Most likely that will have you covered unless you are training at an elite level/training for sport(in general..).

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
protein without question. it's going to kickstart protein synthesis post-workout and fast acting proteins/amino acids can spike insulin enough for proper nutrient transport.

carbs have their place if your macros allow for it or if you are trying to gain size, but protein above all post-workout, whether it be a shake or a meal

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Protein, the necessity of carbs is debatable...but I haven't seen too many people come out and say you don't need protein after weight training. Although the whole magic window thing isn't good.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
^^This..

Just get a real meal in and don't stress the minor details. Most likely that will have you covered unless you are training at an elite level/training for sport(in general..).
If you are, then what? Still protein or protein+carbs? For high intensity training, what's best?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
If you are, then what? Still protein or protein+carbs? For high intensity training, what's best?
this is an interesting question, because I train high intensity/lower volume and mostly only have bcaas or protein post workout, with carbs coming in 60-90 minutes post

I think that many of the people advocating simple sugars post workout are assuming the training is a traditional volume type split

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Protein with added L-Leucine.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
yeah, this for sure.....some Leucine (or 8:1:1 BCAA) immediately PWO, then half hour to 45 minutes later some whey isolate. I like to split them up as opposed to taking them all at once.
I do it this way too sometimes since I have kilos on hand but I'll drink the 8:1:1 BCAA's (modern BCAA) immediately after my last set and have my shake 15min later on my drive home. A whole meal after that, once I get hunger pangs. Been getting great results during my cut using this method.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Then it can (may or may not) get more complicated and really depends on personal situation. A blanket statement isn't going to cover everyone.

But I should also mention even then overall caloric intake will be more important than immediately post workout.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carbs and aminos are best pre w/o versus post, I side with these studies (i know there are studies that disagree)

I prefer just protein if I'm on a diet, other wise, dark matter, then protien.

And branched chain aminos aren't protien, they are amino acids, which protien is made up of. I know you know, just don't want to get people confused.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I do it this way too sometimes since I have kilos on hand but I'll drink the 8:1:1 BCAA's (modern BCAA) immediately after my last set and have my shake 15min later on my drive home. A whole meal after that, once I get hunger pangs. Been getting great results during my cut using this method.
same exact protocol here, that's weird we do the same shyt :D sometimes it takes me a while to get hunger pangs though, but they come eventually...just maybe not as soon as I prefer....as you say though, it seems to work well for dropping BF....

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The study unfortunately suffers from the same methodological flaws as its predecessors, namely only two groups of subjects; thus, the BCAA treatment was compared to nothing rather than something more relevant like protein. In fact, as per the conclusions of the authors (looking as abstract only), elevated protein synthesis was responsible for the enhanced recovery, something which protein has obviously been demonstrated to do as well.

I will not write off leucine as a potentially valuable supplement because it very well may be if used properly, but to date there is still no research comparing BCAA to protein, whole foods or otherwise. The Scivation/Stoppani study was supposed to be the first of its kind, but it was never published.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The study unfortunately suffers from the same methodological flaws as its predecessors, namely only two groups of subjects; thus, the BCAA treatment was compared to nothing rather than something more relevant like protein. In fact, as per the conclusions of the authors (looking as abstract only), elevated protein synthesis was responsible for the enhanced recovery, something which protein has obviously been demonstrated to do as well.

I will not write off leucine as a potentially valuable supplement because it very well may be if used properly, but to date there is still no research comparing BCAA to protein, whole foods or otherwise. The Scivation/Stoppani study was supposed to be the first of its kind, but it was never published.
I use BCAA's, but I often question the necessity as I'm getting tons of them from whey protein and my high protein (chicken, steak, fish) diet.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take alot of both eaa bcaa and neaa

But I'm also cutting too.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Based on their discussion alone it seems their end goal was not to compare it with protein (ex whey), but rather to determine some differences from previous BCAA research.

I use BCAA's, but I often question the necessity as I'm getting tons of them from whey protein and my high protein (chicken, steak, fish) diet.
They still let the people eat...just didn't have dietary controls in place.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They still let the people eat...just didn't have dietary controls in place.
Yes, but to the best of my knowledge no one has compared scientifically protein from different sources vs. BCAA. For instance my post-workout Whey is obviously chock full of BCAA'S, as is the steak I just ate. Of course this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but part of the reason for that discussion is a really strong scientific answer doesn't exist.