Sleepy on dexaprine

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
I become quite sleepy on dexaprine. Even after a half pill. Tried to up the dose to a whole pill and had to go to bed for a couple of hours :( .
Have any of you the same experiences, or is it my ADD?

Last edited:
Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I become quite sleepy on dexaprine. Even after a half pill. Tried to up the dose to a whole pill and had to go to bed for a couple of hours :( .
Have any of you the same experiences, or is it my ADD?
Yep. I have ended up needing a nap on a couple of occasions after Dexaprine. I only take it on weekends because I can't afford to risk a crash during the week. Looking forward to the reformulation.

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
Do you use stimulants often / at large doses?

Sounds to me like you could have adrenal fatigue.

EDIT; didn't notice that you have ADD, I don't know much about it but I have some friends who have it and they get tired too when they take stimulants.

DOUBLE EDIT; does this happen to you when you take high amounts of stimulants or other fat burners?

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
any other info from other stimulants?
does this happen with any other products?

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what doses of stims do you take normally?

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
any other info from other stimulants?
does this happen with any other products?
I usually get more energy from coffee. I also feel a little stoned on Jack3d sometimes, but still very focused. I have used ritaline 60 mgs ed for some years without feeling an effect, but use strattera instead now. Ritaline also made me sleepy just like the dexaprine, when I started taking it though. Could it be adrenal fatigue, as I often drink huge amounts of coffee?

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
Do you use stimulants often / at large doses?

Sounds to me like you could have adrenal fatigue.

EDIT; didn't notice that you have ADD, I don't know much about it but I have some friends who have it and they get tired too when they take stimulants.

DOUBLE EDIT; does this happen to you when you take high amounts of stimulants or other fat burners?
I have used an ECA fat burner before, which gave me plenty of energy. Except for that one, I only think I have used caffeine.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This sounds exactly like what happens to some of my pediatric patients when you give them Benadryl. Typically Benadryl will make most teenagers/adults/small children drowsy and it is often giving to make them go to sleep. But in a select few population it actually has the opposite effect and acts as a stimulant and makes them wide awake and frantic.

I think the fact that you have ADD means your pathways take dexaprine in differently from someone that doesn't have ADD.

southsideguy

southsideguy

Awards
  • Established
doesn't it have 1,3?? I think that stuff does that to some people..

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
This sounds exactly like what happens to some of my pediatric patients when you give them Benadryl. Typically Benadryl will make most teenagers/adults/small children drowsy and it is often giving to make them go to sleep. But in a select few population it actually has the opposite effect and acts as a stimulant and makes them wide awake and frantic.

I think the fact that you have ADD means your pathways take dexaprine in differently from someone that doesn't have ADD.
I better try Benadryl as fat burner then :)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, maybe I should mention I also use strattera. Maybe its the interaction between them ?

What is that, a perscription med? I am not familiar with the name.

Mike

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like your ADD is effecting the supplements.

Some people, like one of the posters above said, have the opposite effect with things. Benadryl makes them awake, stimulants make them sleepy.

My advise to you is to try a "non-stim" fat burner and see how it affects you.
Stimulants do aid in appetite suppression and fat burning, but they aren't neseccary.

Diet and nutrition and workout should be dialed in. Then you can add and play with various supplements. Aminos (EAA/BCAA) are key when cutting.

GHO5T

Awards
When are you taking the Dexaprine compared to the Atomoxetine (strattera) ??

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
When are you taking the Dexaprine compared to the Atomoxetine (strattera) ??
I take the dexaprine 2 or 3 hours after the strattera.

Weird thing is, that my friend who is not diagnosed with ADHD started out with a whole pill, and had to leave the gym to go home and sleep. I guess it must have been some kind of overdose.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
stim overdose will cause your body to want to shutdown and leave you feeling exhausted and not stimulated at all....

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
It sounds like your ADD is effecting the supplements.

Some people, like one of the posters above said, have the opposite effect with things. Benadryl makes them awake, stimulants make them sleepy.

My advise to you is to try a "non-stim" fat burner and see how it affects you.
Stimulants do aid in appetite suppression and fat burning, but they aren't neseccary.

Diet and nutrition and workout should be dialed in. Then you can add and play with various supplements. Aminos (EAA/BCAA) are key when cutting.
I think you are right. Though I think the drowsy effect will only happen in the beginning. It still makes me sweat like a horse and makes me quite focused.

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
stim overdose will cause your body to want to shutdown and leave you feeling exhausted and not stimulated at all....
That makes sense. Espicially regarding my friends symptom. I may try even lower dose than a half pill to begin with.

Kamara

Kamara

Awards
Thanks for all the answers. I really enjoy this forum :veryhappy:

quigs

quigs

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, maybe I should mention I also use strattera. Maybe its the interaction between them ?
I'd be careful combining some of the more potent stimulants with your strattera. There is definite possiblity for adverse reactions with these drugs.

With that said, the geranamine crash is something awful and you're describing exactly how I feel about 2-3 hours after I take the stuff.

What do you do that you have pediatric patients? The paradoxical reaction with benadryl seems much more common in the pediatric population in my experience.

What is that, a perscription med? I am not familiar with the name.

Mike
Its a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

J19891

J19891

Awards
Thanks for all the answers. I really enjoy this forum :veryhappy:
If you're drinking a ton of coffee, that's your problem. Caffeine acts as a stimulant in the typical dose range, but it can actually act as a depressant beyond that range. You're probably right on the borderline with all the coffe you're drinking, and then the caffeine in dexaprine tips you over that edge.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're drinking a ton of coffee, that's your problem. Caffeine acts as a stimulant in the typical dose range, but it can actually act as a depressant beyond that range. You're probably right on the borderline with all the coffe you're drinking, and then the caffeine in dexaprine tips you over that edge.
Very, very true. First time i used dexaprime, it was to strong at 1 full cap, all i wanted to do was sleep. 1/2 cap had me wired though.

Mike

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What do you do that you have pediatric patients? The paradoxical reaction with benadryl seems much more common in the pediatric population in my experience.
Respiratory therapist, PICU. Not that I give the benadryl but i've definitely seen the paradoxical reaction. Its always the patients that you REALLY want them to go to sleep and then psyche! Up all night sounding alarms lol.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Respiratory therapist, PICU. Not that I give the benadryl but i've definitely seen the paradoxical reaction. Its always the patients that you REALLY want them to go to sleep and then psyche! Up all night sounding alarms lol.
Awesome man.. I work in a Level III B Neonatal Intensive Care as an RN. Got to love those alarming all night, I wish everyone could be given versad and fentanyl!! We are on this new kick, of preventing retinopathy of pre-maturity, so we know have to set alarm parameters for O2 saturation of 88-92%, so basically our monitors alarm on continuous mode all night long as they want us to titrate there Fio2 every second up and down lol.

Good to see we do something of similar nature :)

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome man.. I work in a Level III B Neonatal Intensive Care as an RN. Got to love those alarming all night, I wish everyone could be given versad and fentanyl!! We are on this new kick, of preventing retinopathy of pre-maturity, so we know have to set alarm parameters for O2 saturation of 88-92%, so basically our monitors alarm on continuous mode all night long as they want us to titrate there Fio2 every second up and down lol.

Good to see we do something of similar nature :)
CB,

They are doing something similar in our NICU with the SpO2 ranges. Ridiculous. Alarms going off constantly. I had to get out of there when I was on rotation through all the units (general care, PICU, NICU). I left every morning with my back hurting because the cribs/isolettes only go so high and I was constantly bending over to do my work. That and the nurses (here anyway ;)) are a bunch of bitches. Couldn't stand the attitudes. Finally settled on the PICU, but now I can't stand some of my other RT coworkers. Why are women such effin' drama queens! Awesome to meet another healthcare worker though! And a male too. Few and far in between. My fiance (a nurse as well) hates that I'm in a woman-dominated work environment ;)