cancer and supplements

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.63%

cancer and supplements

hey my friend is thru his first month of cancer treatment I wanted to send him a little care package, Iíve been doing a lot of research I found glutamine, bcaa, and whey protein are actually really good for cancer patients, obviously he must consult with his cancer dietitian to make sure these supplements do not interfere with his treatments, but Iím sending him them three things. My question is if anyone might know a little more about this type of thing through experience and what else I can get him, thanks

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

You should look into Resveratrol. It could possibly help with both the prevention and treatment of cancer.

http://www.lef.org/resveratrol/
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

my friend had cancer and isnt even allowed to take protein right now
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.42%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Any anti oxidant like vit e.. coq10.. nac... rapeseed extract.. cordyceps.

What kind of cancer.. as that matters.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.63%

cancer in the lymph nodes in his neck
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75%

My sibling found accupunture to be therapeutic for combating the sides of chemotherapy and radiation. Anything to help strengthen the immune system would be helpful as well.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  7. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by westhockey32 View Post
    hey my friend is thru his first month of cancer treatment I wanted to send him a little care package, I’ve been doing a lot of research I found glutamine, bcaa, and whey protein are actually really good for cancer patients, obviously he must consult with his cancer dietitian to make sure these supplements do not interfere with his treatments, but I’m sending him them three things. My question is if anyone might know a little more about this type of thing through experience and what else I can get him, thanks
    Let his highly educated and experience oncologist and nutritionist treat him. I imagine an oncologist and nutritionist may know a little bit about what they are doing without the need of mine or your help. Seriously.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.01%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I mean this as respectfully as possible.

I think what you are asking (items related to post-cancer, post-chemo health, prevention of reccurrance) is way "bigger" than what's offered on this board. While certain supps can help, there are so many variables and specificities with respect to the different types of cancers, that such a question begging for misinformatioon at best and hurtful information at worst (despite everyone's best intentions).

Your desire of sending a healthy care package for your friend are very cool, but perhaps one better than that would be a wisely chosen book on such things written by a respected author to give your friend the tools he/she needs to properly recover and give the best chances for permamanent remission.

Congrats to your friend for beating cancer. Focusing efforts on decreasing chances for return can be a real battle. I speak from experience.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.63%

yea me and him are kind of different in getting my engineering degree and I love working out and being healthy, I don’t think he would take the time to read a book just not that into things like that, but if is dietitian okays that stuff I get him he would probably take it. The thing is he lives on his own with his girlfriend I just want to get him something he could use, the friend of mine isn’t into fitness and stuff he doesn’t even know what to eat or what to get when he goes shopping, probably not a good cook either. Just trying to let him know I’m here for him, plus if he cant take the supps , i will!lol I was more or less trying to get some stories from other people and see what helps what doesnt
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.28%

Quote Originally Posted by westhockey32 View Post
    cancer in the lymph nodes in his neck
    Ouch, lymphoma. That's a rough one man, I'm sorry to hear that. I agree with the above, look into some anti-oxidants but what you listed should be good.
  11. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.6%

Vitamins, aminos, protein, fish oil.

My mom is going through cancer right now. Things like probiotics help because chemo screws with your digestion (as well as so many other things obv.)

Iron, as chemo can be known to lower iron levels.

Something like GrubOn, Black Hole, something to increase appetite. Eating to get your strength through cancer is VERY important (hence why medical THC is prescribed...so they'll eat!)
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.63%

ha THC .lol .thanks guys!
  13. TEAM ALLMAX Guy
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.69%
    Achievements Activity Pro

Quote Originally Posted by westhockey32
    hey my friend is thru his first month of cancer treatment I wanted to send him a little care package, Iíve been doing a lot of research I found glutamine, bcaa, and whey protein are actually really good for cancer patients, obviously he must consult with his cancer dietitian to make sure these supplements do not interfere with his treatments, but Iím sending him them three things. My question is if anyone might know a little more about this type of thing through experience and what else I can get him, thanks
    I had skin cancer a while back and the doctor said the supplements I was taking made a big difference and help force it out of my body instead of growing inward.

Supplements saved my life man. I was taking Pro Complex and that has 14g bcaa and 10g glutamine. Along with M5 and a multi.
    STAY TUNED FOR A NEW ALLMAX LOG OPP!!!
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.25%

Quote Originally Posted by David Dunn View Post
    Let his highly educated and experience oncologist and nutritionist treat him. I imagine an oncologist and nutritionist may know a little bit about what they are doing without the need of mine or your help. Seriously.
    this

and no, BCAA is no good for cancer.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'1"  45 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.98%

Hi friends,
    The best way to get the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you need is through a balanced and varied diet, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.76%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by annielizstan View Post
    Hi friends,
    The best way to get the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you need is through a balanced and varied diet, with plenty of fruit and vegetables.
    Well looks like i've been doing things wrong this whole time. FLM
    ~ Serious Nutrition Solutions ~
    Ask me about Reload. Free SNS for your labels
    Rhadam [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

My wife had gallbladder cancer and has been cancer free for two years. A bought a product for her made by Cell Forte called IP-6 & Inositol. Helps build your immune system and increases natural killer-cell activity. Google the product.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.25%

Quote Originally Posted by rhgunner View Post
    My wife had gallbladder cancer and has been cancer free for two years. A bought a product for her made by Cell Forte called IP-6 & Inositol. Helps build your immune system and increases natural killer-cell activity. Google the product.
    She better do squat than taking those supps
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.01%

Quote Originally Posted by 3utcher View Post
    She better do squat than taking those supps
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.68%

Well a lot of people swear by it and we tried it. It seemed to boost her immune system after chemo and radiation treatment. I'm not telling anyone to buy it, but to research it.
  21. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Supplements are the last thing he should want/need.

Hardcore Purus Labs Rep.
    -Mobile Device Posting.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fŁcking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.63%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Be a good friend and buy him a tonne of brightly coloured fruits and vegetables.
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.71%

There ARE supplements that have been shown to help with chemotherapy outcomes, however they need to be very carefully researched and tailored to both the type of chemo as well as the type of cancer in question. As others stated, work very closely with the cancer dietician and oncologist before starting anything.

A shotgun approach is not warranted for this disease.
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.01%

I was referring to 3uthcher's position

Well a lot of people swear by it and we tried it. It seemed to boost her immune system after chemo and radiation treatment. I'm not telling anyone to buy it, but to research it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.25%

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I was referring to 3uthcher's position
    Back squat cure cancer
  26. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.03%

So much fail.

First, BCAA's are the absolute worst thing you can give a cancer patient... Protein as well.

Both illicit a IGF response, of which is fuel to cancer cells, and considering the whole point of chemo is to restrict protein turnover in certain cells, your friend may want to follow that restriction guideline.. no point in chemo.

As for anti-ox's and the likes... again, each thing better be cleared with an oncon.. You can probably assume the oncon has them on the stuff they should be taking. Each supp works through a certain MOA, and has periphery actions that may be detrimental to the treatment, or exasperate the issue.

The postulating and recommendations being made in this thread is a bit ominous.
    The Historic PES Legend
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.63%

Quote Originally Posted by 3utcher View Post
    Back squat cure cancer
    Love to see a study where the ONLY cancer treatment was back squats that subsequently lead to a reduction in cancer cells..
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.91%

Quote Originally Posted by westhockey32
    Ask a doctor because most of us aren't
  29. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.11%

This is in a 4:1 mix and is pattened, but it can very easily be duplicated with bulk powder for a far smaller price. Look at BAC.
  30. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.55%

My mum has had breast cancer 4x. She has so many vitamins n stuff, but i notice she takes like chinese mushroom extracts for her immune system! You can find books on this, they tell you what herbs/foods help prevent/fight cncer. Time for your mate to start reading. Good luck.
  31. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    51.25%

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    So much fail.

First, BCAA's are the absolute worst thing you can give a cancer patient... Protein as well.

Both illicit a IGF response, of which is fuel to cancer cells, and considering the whole point of chemo is to restrict protein turnover in certain cells, your friend may want to follow that restriction guideline.. no point in chemo.

As for anti-ox's and the likes... again, each thing better be cleared with an oncon.. You can probably assume the oncon has them on the stuff they should be taking. Each supp works through a certain MOA, and has periphery actions that may be detrimental to the treatment, or exasperate the issue.

The postulating and recommendations being made in this thread is a bit ominous.
    This.
    Many chemo drugs inhibit the mTor pathway, so taking BCAA is stupid.
    Many drugs are metabolised by Glutathion, so taking N-Ac-Cys is stupid.
    and the list goes on..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Supplements after cancer?
    By SufferingEd in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. Dietary supplements that may increase risk of Lung cancer
    By Riquee in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM
  3. Fighting cancer with Supplements?
    By Steveoph in forum Supplements