Liver levels high???

  1. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Liver levels high???


    I just had bloods done and my they told me my AST and ALT came back pretty high, the only supps I had been taking were AT2 erase orange triad and fish oil. Could these cause this? I had bloods last sept and liver function were normal
    Independent

  2. Diamond Member
    LiveToLift's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,650
    Rep Power
    9994825
    Level
    104
    Lv. Percent
    87.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er
    I just had bloods done and my they told me my AST and ALT came back pretty high, the only supps I had been taking were AT2 erase orange triad and fish oil. Could these cause this? I had bloods last sept and liver function were normal
    Have you cycled recently?
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider http://facebook.com/pescience
  3. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Never only supps
    Independent
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    allnatural923's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,150
    Rep Power
    854155
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    1.1%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    had you worked out within 24-48 hours of getting bloodwork done? My liver enzymes were way off normal levels since I had trained legs 24 hours prior, waited, then they came back normal the next time.
    MAN Sports Online Lead Rep and Sales
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/man/pure-pf3-free-fermented-leucine-limited-time.html
    Like us on Facebook! Follow me on Instagram: Rob_MANSports
  5. Advanced Member
    Est1969's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    6231
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    64.07%

    A strenuous workout can bump up your AST, but should not effect ALT. The effect on AST can last a week from your last heavy workout.

    All kinds of things can boost ALT. hepatitis, aspirin, Tylenol, McDonalds, etc. it's a big list.

    Since both were elevated I am pretty sure the protocol is a second blood test. If levels remain elevated then a Hepatitis screen. If the Hep screen turns up negative you go on to an ultrasound to check for fatty liver disease. I don't know what comes after that.

    What are your levels? What has your doctor advised as step 2?
  6. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    I had a heavy shoulder day the day before with HIIT cardio. He checked for Hep which was negative. He wants me to re check in 3 months. My levels last sept were
    AST- 39
    ALT- 43
    Most recent test
    AST- 51
    ALT- 72

    For the previous 5 years I was overweight (fat) with elevated numbers closer to 100, as I lost weight they came down. Sept I was about 12% bf then got down to 8 by the end of jan 12, I'm currently back up to 10-11 at most recent test. This last two months ive gone through a lot, quit chewing tobacco which has caused a little weight gain. So I'm just confused as to why theyre slightly elevated?
    Independent
  7. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    I'm not sure of this has any bearing but the morning of my fasted bloods, my wife and I had some crazy morning sex like two hours b4 my bloods were done. I'm just thinking out loud not trying to give TMI but exhausting all possibilities. Google can play tricks on your brain. The more I read about weightlifting and read other people posts I think that may be it. I've read stuff showing elevated levels for both aSt and ALT after rigorous lifting. So I guess I'll just wait and see **** I don't know. All your input is greatly appreciated.
    Independent
  8. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,767
    Rep Power
    2974488
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    82.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er
    I'm not sure of this has any bearing but the morning of my fasted bloods, my wife and I had some crazy morning sex like two hours b4 my bloods were done. I'm just thinking out loud not trying to give TMI but exhausting all possibilities. Google can play tricks on your brain. The more I read about weightlifting and read other people posts I think that may be it. I've read stuff showing elevated levels for both aSt and ALT after rigorous lifting. So I guess I'll just wait and see **** I don't know. All your input is greatly appreciated.
    Did the doc seem concerned about it?
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  9. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Concerned with what exactly my
    Levels or the everything else? I'm the one who brought the weightlifting to their attention as they either didn't think of it or haven't read the studies. I had a ultrasound like two years ago and everything was normal. I assume if he was concerned he would advise me to wait three months??!!
    Independent
  10. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    AaronJP1's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    18,767
    Rep Power
    2974488
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    82.41%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er
    Concerned with what exactly my
    Levels or the everything else? I'm the one who brought the weightlifting to their attention as they either didn't think of it or haven't read the studies. I had a ultrasound like two years ago and everything was normal. I assume if he was concerned he would advise me to wait three months??!!
    Right...

    I would've ask why wait 3 months....
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  11. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    I did and they said pretty standard protocol. Not overly concerned I guess since my last ultrasound of my organs recently was fine.
    Independent
  12. Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,985
    Rep Power
    4209596
    Level
    89
    Lv. Percent
    33.68%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    ok the good thing is your liver can heal on its own. do you drink? tylenol and OTC medications like that greatly effect the liver. you can OD on those easily and actually go into liver failure. if he or you are worried, just take some milk thistle and drink lots of water for the next month, go back and get them re checked (in the morning before you really have put anything in your system). if they are still high, we can go from there
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com


  13. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Don't drink that often if at all really. I asked him if I should take milk thistle he said no. Hardly take Tylenol or ibuprofen unless I have a bad headache. I just don't get why they went up from september last year till now and my diet has gotten better since then . If anything I'm in better shape. He acted surprised when I brought up the weight lifting affects on enzyme levels. The last thing I was told today was he thought it was a mildly fatty liver and to change nothing for the next ninety days then retest?! I know ur in nursing school baller, what's ur take
    Independent
  14. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Another thing is I had been battling a infection from a cracked tooth since last December. On an off antibiotics three or four times and had just finished clyndamiacin (sp?) a week or so b4 the tests.
    Independent
  15. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Will milk thistle have negative effects if my levels were raised simply because of my hard workout the day before my tests. Is milk thistle a staple or only used as treatment?
    Independent
  16. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    What were your numbers.. if note over 110.. I really wouldn't be concerned. I work in healthcare and see a lot of patients when I worked with adults of levels in the thousands!
  17. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench
    What were your numbers.. if note over 110.. I really wouldn't be concerned. I work in healthcare and see a lot of patients when I worked with adults of levels in the thousands!
    AST-51
    ALT-72
    Independent
  18. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Last sept they were 39 and 43. Why is 110 the number your going by when 40 is the top of the line. I'm not doubting your experience just trying to gather info and experience. Thanks
    Independent
  19. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,534
    Rep Power
    6137601
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    76.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Random question: are you cutting?
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  20. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191395
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Add some milk thistle to your Orange TRIad. It already has R-ALA.

    Or you could not take any supplements except basics (TRiad, protein, fish oil) until the test.

    But if the results come back better, you don't know if it was because of the supplements (unlikely) or some other variable.

    Good luck and keep us updated.

    RR
  21. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Random question: are you cutting?
    Yes sir have been since mid feb
    Independent
  22. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows
    Add some milk thistle to your Orange TRIad. It already has R-ALA.

    And drink lots of water!
    Thinking about milk thistle and I drink a minimum of 1.5 gal of water a day
    Independent
  23. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191395
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er View Post
    Thinking about milk thistle and I drink a minimum of 1.5 gal of water a day

    I updated my post after your responded - eek your quick!
  24. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,534
    Rep Power
    6137601
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    76.28%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er View Post
    Yes sir have been since mid feb
    As someone who gets consistent bloodwork, I've noticed that my liver values are generally mildly out of range on a cut, and normal on a bulk.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  25. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69

    As someone who gets consistent bloodwork, I've noticed that my liver values are generally mildly out of range on a cut, and normal on a bulk.
    Hmmmmm... Makes sense because my last test in sept I was on a isocaloric type maintenance diet and this last test I had been cutting for a while.
    Independent
  26. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er

    AST-51
    ALT-72
    You won't be battling cirrhosis anytime soon with those numbers lmao. Your fine bro.. just keep and eye on it. But if you workout and use supplements you should already be getting routine lab work.
  27. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench

    You won't be battling cirrhosis anytime soon with those numbers lmao. Your fine bro.. just keep and eye on it. But if you workout and use supplements you should already be getting routine lab work.
    I'm just asking as to why this is funny but are u implying I'm over reacting? I'm just trying gather info sorry if my question was dumb. When does cirrhosis come into play and what exactly is it.
    Independent
  28. Elite Member
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Rep Power
    767475
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    53.22%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bean5er View Post
    I'm just asking as to why this is funny but are u implying I'm over reacting? I'm just trying gather info sorry if my question was dumb. When does cirrhosis come into play and what exactly is it.
    This is not a funny topic what so ever, actually a very serious topic. Regardless though, i asked for your numbers for a reason. I wanted to verify that you are not in immediate danger. What a weight lifter/bodybuilder needs to learn, is that not all lab values are going to be spot on like the average person. We sometimes have values out of range, or on upper/lower limits, but that is normal for us. I did not want you to panic and get alarmed and start taking drastic measures. That is why I said, monitor it.

    Although regardless, consult your perscribing physician for any and all concerns.

    Mike
  29. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,728
    Rep Power
    3997521
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    2.09%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench

    This is not a funny topic what so ever, actually a very serious topic. Regardless though, i asked for your numbers for a reason. I wanted to verify that you are not in immediate danger. What a weight lifter/bodybuilder needs to learn, is that not all lab values are going to be spot on like the average person. We sometimes have values out of range, or on upper/lower limits, but that is normal for us. I did not want you to panic and get alarmed and start taking drastic measures. That is why I said, monitor it.

    Although regardless, consult your perscribing physician for any and all concerns.

    Mike
    Thanks Mike I appreciate the info.
    Independent
  30. New Member
    BosLAD's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    37
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    45.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by Est1969 View Post
    A strenuous workout can bump up your AST, but should not effect ALT. The effect on AST can last a week from your last heavy workout.

    All kinds of things can boost ALT. hepatitis, aspirin, Tylenol, McDonalds, etc. it's a big list.

    Since both were elevated I am pretty sure the protocol is a second blood test. If levels remain elevated then a Hepatitis screen. If the Hep screen turns up negative you go on to an ultrasound to check for fatty liver disease. I don't know what comes after that.

    What are your levels? What has your doctor advised as step 2?
    I had this happen to me about 20 years ago when I changed jobs and was denied new life insurance because of high liver enzymes. After going thru the Hep screen and ultrasound noted above, a liver biopsy showed that I have a fatty liver. Mind you at the time I was 5'10" and weighed about 155 lbs, so any mention of "fat" was foreign to me. I now get blood work done 2x/yr. Sometimes its slightly elevated, other times within the normal range (although high end of the range). My doctor at Massachusetts General Hospital isn't concerned and neither am I. If it was someting more serious he says the numbers would be multiples of what they are.

    Earlier this year I completed a 8 week cycle of Andromass + AndroBulk and my blood results 4 weeks later were 83 & 61. elevated, but again, only slightly. (my weight is now 195 and a lot of the increase over the years is muscle!)

    So all I can tell you is what my doctor tells me: exercise, watch your diet, don't drink in excess and try not to take tylenol.
    Take care.

    PS: currently just started on a Tren+EPI 2a3a + Methylzine cycle and results after 1 week are better than 8 weeks on AM+AB!
  31. Advanced Member
    Est1969's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    703
    Rep Power
    6231
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    64.07%

    Why did they do a biopsy? Where they afraid it might have been something else? That's some ignorant, awful B/S denying your health insurance over liver enzymes. Did they reverse their decision after fatty liver was confirmed?



    Quote Originally Posted by BosLAD View Post
    I had this happen to me about 20 years ago when I changed jobs and was denied new life insurance because of high liver enzymes. After going thru the Hep screen and ultrasound noted above, a liver biopsy showed that I have a fatty liver. Mind you at the time I was 5'10" and weighed about 155 lbs, so any mention of "fat" was foreign to me. I now get blood work done 2x/yr. Sometimes its slightly elevated, other times within the normal range (although high end of the range). My doctor at Massachusetts General Hospital isn't concerned and neither am I. If it was someting more serious he says the numbers would be multiples of what they are.

    Earlier this year I completed a 8 week cycle of Andromass + AndroBulk and my blood results 4 weeks later were 83 & 61. elevated, but again, only slightly. (my weight is now 195 and a lot of the increase over the years is muscle!)

    So all I can tell you is what my doctor tells me: exercise, watch your diet, don't drink in excess and try not to take tylenol.
    Take care.

    PS: currently just started on a Tren+EPI 2a3a + Methylzine cycle and results after 1 week are better than 8 weeks on AM+AB!
  32. New Member
    BosLAD's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    37
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    45.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by Est1969
    Why did they do a biopsy? Where they afraid it might have been something else? That's some ignorant, awful B/S denying your health insurance over liver enzymes. Did they reverse their decision after fatty liver was confirmed?
    They did a biopsy because they couldn't explain why I was still testing high and until I got an explanation, I couldn't get life insurance (at the time I was married, owned a home and had a little baby. I was getting tested every other month back then and always tested high (and I was never even taking supplements and only a social drinker).

    I think it took almost a year until I got life insurance, and only when my doctor wrote a letter explaining my results. it was with a different insurance carrier and at a higher premium. It was pretty pathetic when a greedy insurance company actually returns your insurance premium over high liver enzymes! And it's only term insurance.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. CKD bloodwork, liver levels high, should I worry?
    By vadox6466 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
  2. Got bloodwork done, liver levels came back high, what to do?
    By vadox6466 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM
  3. high LH levels. what to do?
    By atlninja82 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
  4. T levels to high????
    By glg in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in