Liver levels high???

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I just had bloods done and my they told me my AST and ALT came back pretty high, the only supps I had been taking were AT2 erase orange triad and fish oil. Could these cause this? I had bloods last sept and liver function were normal

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just had bloods done and my they told me my AST and ALT came back pretty high, the only supps I had been taking were AT2 erase orange triad and fish oil. Could these cause this? I had bloods last sept and liver function were normal
Have you cycled recently?

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
had you worked out within 24-48 hours of getting bloodwork done? My liver enzymes were way off normal levels since I had trained legs 24 hours prior, waited, then they came back normal the next time.

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
A strenuous workout can bump up your AST, but should not effect ALT. The effect on AST can last a week from your last heavy workout.

All kinds of things can boost ALT. hepatitis, aspirin, Tylenol, McDonalds, etc. it's a big list.

Since both were elevated I am pretty sure the protocol is a second blood test. If levels remain elevated then a Hepatitis screen. If the Hep screen turns up negative you go on to an ultrasound to check for fatty liver disease. I don't know what comes after that.

What are your levels? What has your doctor advised as step 2?

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I had a heavy shoulder day the day before with HIIT cardio. He checked for Hep which was negative. He wants me to re check in 3 months. My levels last sept were
AST- 39
ALT- 43
Most recent test
AST- 51
ALT- 72

For the previous 5 years I was overweight (fat) with elevated numbers closer to 100, as I lost weight they came down. Sept I was about 12% bf then got down to 8 by the end of jan 12, I'm currently back up to 10-11 at most recent test. This last two months ive gone through a lot, quit chewing tobacco which has caused a little weight gain. So I'm just confused as to why theyre slightly elevated?

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I'm not sure of this has any bearing but the morning of my fasted bloods, my wife and I had some crazy morning sex like two hours b4 my bloods were done. I'm just thinking out loud not trying to give TMI but exhausting all possibilities. Google can play tricks on your brain. The more I read about weightlifting and read other people posts I think that may be it. I've read stuff showing elevated levels for both aSt and ALT after rigorous lifting. So I guess I'll just wait and see **** I don't know. All your input is greatly appreciated.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'm not sure of this has any bearing but the morning of my fasted bloods, my wife and I had some crazy morning sex like two hours b4 my bloods were done. I'm just thinking out loud not trying to give TMI but exhausting all possibilities. Google can play tricks on your brain. The more I read about weightlifting and read other people posts I think that may be it. I've read stuff showing elevated levels for both aSt and ALT after rigorous lifting. So I guess I'll just wait and see **** I don't know. All your input is greatly appreciated.
Did the doc seem concerned about it?

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Concerned with what exactly my
Levels or the everything else? I'm the one who brought the weightlifting to their attention as they either didn't think of it or haven't read the studies. I had a ultrasound like two years ago and everything was normal. I assume if he was concerned he would advise me to wait three months??!!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Concerned with what exactly my
Levels or the everything else? I'm the one who brought the weightlifting to their attention as they either didn't think of it or haven't read the studies. I had a ultrasound like two years ago and everything was normal. I assume if he was concerned he would advise me to wait three months??!!
Right...

I would've ask why wait 3 months....

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I did and they said pretty standard protocol. Not overly concerned I guess since my last ultrasound of my organs recently was fine.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok the good thing is your liver can heal on its own. do you drink? tylenol and OTC medications like that greatly effect the liver. you can OD on those easily and actually go into liver failure. if he or you are worried, just take some milk thistle and drink lots of water for the next month, go back and get them re checked (in the morning before you really have put anything in your system). if they are still high, we can go from there

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Don't drink that often if at all really. I asked him if I should take milk thistle he said no. Hardly take Tylenol or ibuprofen unless I have a bad headache. I just don't get why they went up from september last year till now and my diet has gotten better since then . If anything I'm in better shape. He acted surprised when I brought up the weight lifting affects on enzyme levels. The last thing I was told today was he thought it was a mildly fatty liver and to change nothing for the next ninety days then retest?! I know ur in nursing school baller, what's ur take

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Another thing is I had been battling a infection from a cracked tooth since last December. On an off antibiotics three or four times and had just finished clyndamiacin (sp?) a week or so b4 the tests.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Will milk thistle have negative effects if my levels were raised simply because of my hard workout the day before my tests. Is milk thistle a staple or only used as treatment?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What were your numbers.. if note over 110.. I really wouldn't be concerned. I work in healthcare and see a lot of patients when I worked with adults of levels in the thousands!

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
What were your numbers.. if note over 110.. I really wouldn't be concerned. I work in healthcare and see a lot of patients when I worked with adults of levels in the thousands!
AST-51
ALT-72

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Last sept they were 39 and 43. Why is 110 the number your going by when 40 is the top of the line. I'm not doubting your experience just trying to gather info and experience. Thanks

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Add some milk thistle to your Orange TRIad. It already has R-ALA.

Or you could not take any supplements except basics (TRiad, protein, fish oil) until the test.

But if the results come back better, you don't know if it was because of the supplements (unlikely) or some other variable.

Good luck and keep us updated.

RR

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yes sir have been since mid feb
As someone who gets consistent bloodwork, I've noticed that my liver values are generally mildly out of range on a cut, and normal on a bulk.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
As someone who gets consistent bloodwork, I've noticed that my liver values are generally mildly out of range on a cut, and normal on a bulk.
Hmmmmm... Makes sense because my last test in sept I was on a isocaloric type maintenance diet and this last test I had been cutting for a while.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AST-51
ALT-72
You won't be battling cirrhosis anytime soon with those numbers lmao. Your fine bro.. just keep and eye on it. But if you workout and use supplements you should already be getting routine lab work.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
You won't be battling cirrhosis anytime soon with those numbers lmao. Your fine bro.. just keep and eye on it. But if you workout and use supplements you should already be getting routine lab work.
I'm just asking as to why this is funny but are u implying I'm over reacting? I'm just trying gather info sorry if my question was dumb. When does cirrhosis come into play and what exactly is it.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm just asking as to why this is funny but are u implying I'm over reacting? I'm just trying gather info sorry if my question was dumb. When does cirrhosis come into play and what exactly is it.
This is not a funny topic what so ever, actually a very serious topic. Regardless though, i asked for your numbers for a reason. I wanted to verify that you are not in immediate danger. What a weight lifter/bodybuilder needs to learn, is that not all lab values are going to be spot on like the average person. We sometimes have values out of range, or on upper/lower limits, but that is normal for us. I did not want you to panic and get alarmed and start taking drastic measures. That is why I said, monitor it.

Although regardless, consult your perscribing physician for any and all concerns.

Mike

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
This is not a funny topic what so ever, actually a very serious topic. Regardless though, i asked for your numbers for a reason. I wanted to verify that you are not in immediate danger. What a weight lifter/bodybuilder needs to learn, is that not all lab values are going to be spot on like the average person. We sometimes have values out of range, or on upper/lower limits, but that is normal for us. I did not want you to panic and get alarmed and start taking drastic measures. That is why I said, monitor it.

Although regardless, consult your perscribing physician for any and all concerns.

Mike
Thanks Mike I appreciate the info.

BosLAD

Awards
A strenuous workout can bump up your AST, but should not effect ALT. The effect on AST can last a week from your last heavy workout.

All kinds of things can boost ALT. hepatitis, aspirin, Tylenol, McDonalds, etc. it's a big list.

Since both were elevated I am pretty sure the protocol is a second blood test. If levels remain elevated then a Hepatitis screen. If the Hep screen turns up negative you go on to an ultrasound to check for fatty liver disease. I don't know what comes after that.

What are your levels? What has your doctor advised as step 2?
I had this happen to me about 20 years ago when I changed jobs and was denied new life insurance because of high liver enzymes. After going thru the Hep screen and ultrasound noted above, a liver biopsy showed that I have a fatty liver. Mind you at the time I was 5'10" and weighed about 155 lbs, so any mention of "fat" was foreign to me. I now get blood work done 2x/yr. Sometimes its slightly elevated, other times within the normal range (although high end of the range). My doctor at Massachusetts General Hospital isn't concerned and neither am I. If it was someting more serious he says the numbers would be multiples of what they are.

Earlier this year I completed a 8 week cycle of Andromass + AndroBulk and my blood results 4 weeks later were 83 & 61. elevated, but again, only slightly. (my weight is now 195 and a lot of the increase over the years is muscle!)

So all I can tell you is what my doctor tells me: exercise, watch your diet, don't drink in excess and try not to take tylenol.
Take care.

PS: currently just started on a Tren+EPI 2a3a + Methylzine cycle and results after 1 week are better than 8 weeks on AM+AB!

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
Why did they do a biopsy? Where they afraid it might have been something else? That's some ignorant, awful B/S denying your health insurance over liver enzymes. Did they reverse their decision after fatty liver was confirmed?

I had this happen to me about 20 years ago when I changed jobs and was denied new life insurance because of high liver enzymes. After going thru the Hep screen and ultrasound noted above, a liver biopsy showed that I have a fatty liver. Mind you at the time I was 5'10" and weighed about 155 lbs, so any mention of "fat" was foreign to me. I now get blood work done 2x/yr. Sometimes its slightly elevated, other times within the normal range (although high end of the range). My doctor at Massachusetts General Hospital isn't concerned and neither am I. If it was someting more serious he says the numbers would be multiples of what they are.

Earlier this year I completed a 8 week cycle of Andromass + AndroBulk and my blood results 4 weeks later were 83 & 61. elevated, but again, only slightly. (my weight is now 195 and a lot of the increase over the years is muscle!)

So all I can tell you is what my doctor tells me: exercise, watch your diet, don't drink in excess and try not to take tylenol.
Take care.

PS: currently just started on a Tren+EPI 2a3a + Methylzine cycle and results after 1 week are better than 8 weeks on AM+AB!

BosLAD

Awards
Why did they do a biopsy? Where they afraid it might have been something else? That's some ignorant, awful B/S denying your health insurance over liver enzymes. Did they reverse their decision after fatty liver was confirmed?
They did a biopsy because they couldn't explain why I was still testing high and until I got an explanation, I couldn't get life insurance (at the time I was married, owned a home and had a little baby. I was getting tested every other month back then and always tested high (and I was never even taking supplements and only a social drinker).

I think it took almost a year until I got life insurance, and only when my doctor wrote a letter explaining my results. it was with a different insurance carrier and at a higher premium. It was pretty pathetic when a greedy insurance company actually returns your insurance premium over high liver enzymes! And it's only term insurance.