I need guinnea pigs!!

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As part of my PhD (in exercise physiology) I am researching the effects of betaine supplementation on strength, power, and body composition in highly trained men. I need at least 20 subjects, and thought I would extend an invitation to the members of AM to participate.

Here's what I need from you:
Live within an hour or two of Hartford CT (I will drive to meet you or pay for your gas).
18 - 35 years of age and free of injury
Be lifting for at least 2 years consistently.
Be able to squat 1.25 body weight and bench press body weight.
Be willing to stop using sport supplements during the 6 week study. (Protein, vitamins, fish oil, and some stimulants are ok. No creatine or AAS)

Here's how the study will go:

We meet, I go over everything in detail, you sign paper work.
I measure height, weight, skin fold thickness, and arm and thigh girth. From this you will learn your body fat, the muscle cross sectional area in your arm and thigh, and how it changes over a 6 week period.

We then do the strength and power testing.
I'll measure vertical jump, bench press and squat 1 rep max

You'll then receive a 6 week supply of betaine at 2.5g per day.

You continue to train over the next 6 weeks as you normally would (or you can follow my hypertrophy based program) so long as you bench press and squat each week. You'll email me your squat and bench press volume on a weekly basis

We meet again in 6 weeks and remeasure.

Please pm or post here if you want in or want more details.

Br

EDIT: I should also note, this study has been approved by the institutional ethics committee.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm..Wish I lived closer man, Id love to be a science experiment.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not controlling for diet or placebo?
Controling for both.

Subjects are matched for body composition and training experience, and treatment or placebo is administered double blind.

Forgot to mention, you need to fill out a 3 day dietary log which will be analyzed and averaged, and try to maintain that throughout the study.

Would love to prescribe diets...but its not feasable at this state.

Br

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Controling for both.

Subjects are matched for body composition and training experience, and treatment or placebo is administered double blind.

Forgot to mention, you need to fill out a 3 day dietary log which will be analyzed and averaged, and try to maintain that throughout the study.

Would love to prescribe diets...but its not feasable at this state.

Br
Yeah I gotcha. I'll be pretty interested in your results so please keep me posted. Would you say that the primary difference between your study and this one (http://www.jissn.com/content/6/1/7/abstract/) is the fact that the subjects will be sufficiently trained? I like your approach because acquiring statistical significance in untrained subjects is actually harder​ due to natural increases in strength that accompany introduction to training.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best of luck in your endeavors.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I gotcha. I'll be pretty interested in your results so please keep me posted. Would you say that the primary difference between your study and this one (http://www.jissn.com/content/6/1/7/abstract/) is the fact that the subjects will be sufficiently trained? I like your approach because acquiring statistical significance in untrained subjects is actually harder​ due to natural increases in strength that accompany introduction to training.
That's one of the differences. Trained vs. untrained. Possibly the biggest.

Length is also a difference. 6 weeks vs. 2 weeks

And my subjects will be training during the period, whereas most of the studies I've read did not prescribe training protocols and some even resctricted exercise.

Br

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That's one of the differences. Trained vs. untrained. Possibly the biggest.

Length is also a difference. 6 weeks vs. 2 weeks

And my subjects will be training during the period, whereas most of the studies I've read did not prescribe training protocols and some even resctricted exercise.

Br
Excellent. Sorry for all the questions, but it's nice talking to an expert in the field. What aspect of TMG encouraged you to research it as opposed to some other ingredient (i.e. creatinol-o-phosphate)?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent. Sorry for all the questions, but it's nice talking to an expert in the field. What aspect of TMG encouraged you to research it as opposed to some other ingredient (i.e. creatinol-o-phosphate)?
No worries on the questions, I enjoy them.

TMG attracted me because of the remarkable effects on body composition and GH that occur when its fed to pigs. Next step after this study is to get some more funding to try and evaluate some hypothesis regarding its mechanism of action.

Br

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wont participate, but interested in seeing results!

cashinova87

cashinova87

Awards
I live in Hartford, but I had surgery 7 months ago. Good luck with your study. What else can you prescribe? Lol

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
would be down for this if I was closer, in for the results! Hope you find some good test subjects.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for support guys. I should be able to put up some preliminary results in August. I'll be publishing the results sometime after that (publication is a long, drawn out process).

Br

Originate

Awards
I wish I lived closer as well. I am also looking forward to the results!