supplement recommendations for tough mudder

kfactor824

Awards
Hey guys, I am currently training for tough mudder in October. I was wondering what supplements former mudders have used? I am currently 20 years old 6'2 200lbs. Thanks

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
You want mostly endurance enhancers. Check out the new slew of SNS products for this purpose:

SNS Citrulline Malate
SNS Creatinol-O-Phosphate
SNS Beta-Alanine
SNS Magnesium Creatine Chelate

On top of this, I would add AI LCLT to your daily regimen.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Cooper thank you! Reps
No problem. Here are the efficacious doses FYI:

SNS Citrulline Malate - 6-8g
SNS Creatinol-O-Phosphate - 2g
SNS Beta-Alanine - 3.2-6.4g
SNS Magnesium Creatine Chelate - 3-4.5g
AI LCLT - 1-2g

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You don't need anything. Start training HIIT and make sure you can run 3-4 miles with no problems. There is a build up at each obstacle and you have time to rest a bit. Most of your upper body strength is needed for climbing the walls and carrying the logs. Otherwise, focus on the running. Where are you doing it at?

Also, don't do it in a big group. 2-3 of you is perfect because you are only as fast as your slowest person.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Top supplement: Patience

I second the recommendation to avoid relying on supplements and to focus on making sure that your cardio is in order.
I add that you will need to work on your patience--there is a lot of waiting for other groups in front of you to clear obstacles.

kfactor824

Awards
I currently run 7 miles no problem. Today, my friend (also doing tough mudder) and I ran 14miles roughly in 2 hours and 45 mins. I am doing it in Englishtown, NJ in October. What exercises should i focus on lifting for the obstacles?

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
I currently run 7 miles no problem. Today, my friend (also doing tough mudder) and I ran 14miles roughly in 2 hours and 45 mins. I am doing it in Englishtown, NJ in October. What exercises should i focus on lifting for the obstacles?
Find a heavy rock and hike ten miles with it over your head...no balls you won't. Weak mudder ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The obstacles really aren't that difficult, it is the cardio that kills people. I did both days in Beaver Creek and cardio along with altitude is what did most people in. I don't know the obstacles at your race, but the two that got me were jumping in the lake that was fed with runoff from the snow. it was 46 degrees and you had to swim under barrels. I came up short and popped up under one and freaked. Pulled it together enough not to drown. LOL. Then I got zapped by one of the 100k volt lines in the face at the end it dropped me like a bag of sand. I looked up and my buddy told me I was out for about 3 seconds. It was gnarly to say the least. I am doing it again in June, and I am still thinking of that electric shock.

The average time for the 11.3 miles here was 3:28 and we did it in 2:52. 12 minutes off of qualifying for the national event in NJ. Not bad for a 37, 44, and 52 year old team.

kfactor824

Awards
The obstacles really aren't that difficult, it is the cardio that kills people. I did both days in Beaver Creek and cardio along with altitude is what did most people in. I don't know the obstacles at your race, but the two that got me were jumping in the lake that was fed with runoff from the snow. it was 46 degrees and you had to swim under barrels. I came up short and popped up under one and freaked. Pulled it together enough not to drown. LOL. Then I got zapped by one of the 100k volt lines in the face at the end it dropped me like a bag of sand. I looked up and my buddy told me I was out for about 3 seconds. It was gnarly to say the least. I am doing it again in June, and I am still thinking of that electric shock.

The average time for the 11.3 miles here was 3:28 and we did it in 2:52. 12 minutes off of qualifying for the national event in NJ. Not bad for a 37, 44, and 52 year old team.
Congrats on finishing and your time is awesome. What was your lifting routine for tm?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on finishing and your time is awesome. What was your lifting routine for tm?
Thanks- you will love the attitude there. Everyone is just out to finish and help each other.

I focused on HIIT, a lot of hill sprints and high rep/med weight full body training. A lot of weighted pullups, dips, and squats. 8-10 sets of 10 reps with squats and then I would go run stairs for 30-40 min. Really, a lot of strength doesn't matter. Stamina and endurance along with body weight support is key. The military guys crushed it.

kfactor824

Awards
Thanks- you will love the attitude there. Everyone is just out to finish and help each other.

I focused on HIIT, a lot of hill sprints and high rep/med weight full body training. A lot of weighted pullups, dips, and squats. 8-10 sets of 10 reps with squats and then I would go run stairs for 30-40 min. Really, a lot of strength doesn't matter. Stamina anddurance along with body weight support is key. The military guys crushed it.
Awesome, I am so looking forward to TM. Thanks for the training advice; very helpful. I am going to starting lifting monday. Reps

Narcissist

Awards
I've done the tough mudder twice now in Austin, Tx. We're gunna do it this October again as well. As long as you can run 5 miles without to much difficultly and can do around 15-20 pull-ups you should be fine. There is a lot of standing and waiting in the other people to go, but its definitely fun doing it with a bunch of people as long as it not to worried about your time.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
I've done the tough mudder twice now in Austin, Tx. We're gunna do it this October again as well. As long as you can run 5 miles without to much difficultly and can do around 15-20 pull-ups you should be fine. There is a lot of standing and waiting in the other people to go, but its definitely fun doing it with a bunch of people as long as it not to worried about your time.
Just moved from Austin. Was a great place.