Supplements for Joint-pain?

sina

Banned
Awards
Specifically Rotator Cuffs I'm in desperate need! Thanks!!

sina

Banned
Awards
I hear Glycine (Probably typo) or is it G-L-P-C? or just GLPC is really good for skin rejuvenation and joints specifically at 10g daily?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Don't bother. Fish oil will fulfill that function far more effectively.

Dumpenady

Awards
I second cissus. Its especially good for tendons etc... But I would also supplement with building blocks such as glucosamine, and collagen.

Torn human rotator cuff tendons have reduced collagen thermal properties on differential scanning calorimetry. J Orthop Res. 2011 Dec;29(12):1938-43. doi: 10.1002/jor.21450. Epub 2011 May 11.

And Celadrine seems to be always a good call.

Edit: Just did a short search on collagen and well seems like there is no point in supplementing with collagen... like all other proteins it just gets split up into its amino acids and the body has to reassemble collagen later.
What you can do: Supplement the building blocks necessary to build up collagen and elastin.
Collagen:
lysine, serine, vitamin c
Elastin:
Also Lysine, serine and copper, as well as hyaluronic acid.

Hyaluronic acid is also very poorly absorbed so you can take glucosamie instead, because glucosamine increases its production.

In most cases humans have enough copper, so it may not be needed. So you would end up with:
Cissus -> faster metabolism and recovery, less inflammation
Lysine, serine, vitamin c, glucosamine as building blocks.

And if the pain goes not away from cissus alone, add other supps to end inflammation because before that happens, regeneration will be very slow. Those would be:
Celadrine, devils claw, curcumin, msm.

Edit 2: Or you could supplement hydrolyzed collagen directly(instead of lysine and serine)... I still would add vitamin c and glucosamine though.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I'm happy with what I'm using right now-- Orange TRIad multivitamin (has joint support), Animal Flex, Super Cissus, and 10+grams fish oil

vicesoldier

vicesoldier

Awards
SuperCissus Rx + Joint Force = foolproof
proof is in the pudding here, just make sure when you have applied Joint Force to wrap it up as to keep in nice and warm

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
NOW's topical celadrin is also another good option.

I also hear iForce might be coming out with a joint product in the near future :eek:

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
I hurt my shoulder some months ago and I picked Animal Flex, it's the first time I had to take
a joint sup, I'm half way the tub and pain is almost gone.
Keep in mind that I've been working out exactly in the same way
that I was before the injury (I do NOT recommend that, I'm stubborn)
So for me it works pretty well and it's cost effective, 44 packs, 1 pack a day

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I've taken animal flex before and can second that it does work well! I still prefer supercissus though.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've taken animal flex before and can second that it does work well! I still prefer supercissus though.
I agree, although flex would be my choice. Haven't had the recent success with SC as I would have liked.

sina

Banned
Awards
Can you say that joint-care products, cissus and omega-3 will only "Mask" the pain and as you come off joint-care products and cissus, etc it'll hurt once again?

My friend told me that 2 packs a day is better than one?
I hurt my shoulder some months ago and I picked Animal Flex, it's the first time I had to take
a joint sup, I'm half way the tub and pain is almost gone.
Keep in mind that I've been working out exactly in the same way
that I was before the injury (I do NOT recommend that, I'm stubborn)
So for me it works pretty well and it's cost effective, 44 packs, 1 pack a day

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Can you say that joint-care products, cissus and omega-3 will only "Mask" the pain and as you come off joint-care products and cissus, etc it'll hurt once again?

My friend told me that 2 packs a day is better than one?
As i said, this is the first time - fortunately - in 15 years of training that I had to take
a joint support sup, so I have absolute no experience with any other product in this field, nor single
ingredients like cissus.. I've been supplementing with fish oils forever, and while I can assume that
could help (maybe the pain would have been worse if i didn't) definitely it didn't make it go away.
Animal Flex did.
I also couldn't help about 2 packs vs 1 pack, in bb everyone says the more the better but that's
almost never the case.. 1 pack did it for me I don't see the point in wasting money taking 2, but one can always try.
My opinion is injuries take time to heal, no matter what you take, if you take more, it'll still take time to heal..

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use the liquid msm + glucosamine from sams(a grocery store like cosco).Dosent taste bad and its cheap as hell for 30 or 45 servings.

sina

Banned
Awards
Thanks guys would it better just to get a

High-dosed Fish-Oil (liquid) yieliding 2000mg EPA / 1000mg DHA each serving

Cissus Quad (powder) 10-15g Training Days (4x a week) - 3-5g Off days (3x a week)

-

Maybe a topical cream or so like

Jacks Hot Pink or Blue Heat. I was told Hot Pink is stronger than Blue Heat?

I don't think I'll get Glucosamine, MSM, Chond. as studies never shown any effectiveness?

Thanks guys!

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys would it better just to get a

High-dosed Fish-Oil (liquid) yieliding 2000mg EPA / 1000mg DHA each serving

Cissus Quad (powder) 10-15g Training Days (4x a week) - 3-5g Off days (3x a week)

-

Maybe a topical cream or so like

Jacks Hot Pink or Blue Heat. I was told Hot Pink is stronger than Blue Heat?

I don't think I'll get Glucosamine, MSM, Chond. as studies never shown any effectiveness?

Thanks guys!
....lol?

"Why Do People Use Glucosamine?
Osteoarthritis

Glucosamine supplements are widely used for osteoarthritis, particularly knee osteoarthritis. In osteoarthritis, cartilage -- the rubbery material that cushions joints -- becomes stiff and loses its elasticity. This makes the joint prone to damage and may lead to pain, swelling, loss of movement, and further deterioration.

Since the body's natural glucosamine is used to make and repair joint cartilage, taking glucosamine as a nutritional supplement is thought to help repair damaged cartilage by augmenting the body's supply of glucosamine.

There is promising evidence that glucosamine may reduce pain symptoms of knee osteoarthritis and possibly slow the progression of osteoarthritis. For example, a study published in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine examined people with osteoarthritis over three years. Researchers assessed pain and structural improvements seen on x-ray. They gave 202 people with mild to moderate osteoarthritis 1,500 mg of glucosamine sulfate a day or a placebo.

At the end of the study, researchers found that glucosamine slowed the progression of knee osteoarthritis compared to the placebo. People in the glucosamine group had a significant reduction in pain and stiffness. On x-ray, there was no average change or narrowing of joint spaces in the knees (a sign of deterioration) of the glucosamine group. In contrast, joint spaces of participants taking the placebo narrowed over the three years.

One of the largest studies on glucosamine for osteoarthritis was a 6-month study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. Called GAIT, the study compared the effectiveness of glucosamine hydrochloride (HCL), chondroitin sulfate, a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, the drug celecoxib (Celebrex), or a placebo in people with knee osteoarthritis.

Glucosamine or chondroitin alone or in combination didn't reduce pain in the overall group, although people in the study with moderate-to-severe knee pain were more likely to respond to glucosamine.

One major drawback of the GAIT Trial was that glucosamine hydrochloride was used rather than the more widely used and researched glucosamine sulfate. A recent analysis of previous studies, including the GAIT Trial, concluded that glucosamine hydrochloride was not effective. The analysis also found that studies on glucosamine sulfate were too different from one another and were not as well-designed as they should be, so they could not properly draw a conclusion. More research is needed.

Still, health care providers often suggest a three month trial of glucosamine and discontinuing it if there is no improvement after three months. A typical dose for osteoarthritis is 1,500 mg of glucosamine sulfate each day. "

Cushions your joint's.It has plenty of studies.As for msm...
'
"Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in osteoarthritis pain of the knee: a pilot clinical trial.
Kim LS, Axelrod LJ, Howard P, Buratovich N, Waters RF.
Source

Southwest College Research Institute, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Tempe, AZ 85282, USA. [email protected]
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and the second most common cause of long-term disability among middle-aged and older adults in the United States. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a popular dietary supplement used as a single agent and in combination with other nutrients, and purported to be beneficial for arthritis. However, there is paucity of evidence to support the use of MSM.
METHODS:

A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted. Fifty men and women, 40-76 years of age with knee OA pain were enrolled in an outpatient medical center. Intervention was MSM 3g or placebo twice a day for 12 weeks (6g/day total). Outcomes included the Western Ontario and McMaster University Osteoarthritis Index visual analogue scale (WOMAC), patient and physician global assessments (disease status, response to therapy), and SF-36 (overall health-related quality of life).
RESULTS:

Compared to placebo, MSM produced significant decreases in WOMAC pain and physical function impairment (P<0.05). No notable changes were found in WOMAC stiffness and aggregated total symptoms scores. MSM also produced improvement in performing activities of daily living when compared to placebo on the SF-36 evaluation (P<0.05).
CONCLUSION:

MSM (3g twice a day) improved symptoms of pain and physical function during the short intervention without major adverse events. The benefits and safety of MSM in managing OA and long-term use cannot be confirmed from this pilot trial, but its potential clinical application is examined. Underlying mechanisms of action and need for further investigation of MSM are discussed."

Shown in this study to relieve joint pain.chond has very little information as a stand alone.It is usually paired with Glucosamine and they seem to work synergistic.

Note on these studys:I would like to see some done with sports/weight lifting but you shouldn't discredit these.Most joint related supplements are based off of these kinds of studys because they treat osteoporosis and/or arthritis which can be far more painful on our joints than a tweaked shoulder.To save you some googling....Osteoporosis is the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time. Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. A joint is the area where two bones meet. There are over 100 different types of arthritis.

Hope I helped to clear some info up.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
proof is in the pudding here, just make sure when you have applied Joint Force to wrap it up as to keep in nice and warm
Putting a heat pad on the application site before application is more practical and studied. I don't know who comes up with these wrap ideas.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glucosamine also reduces GLUT4 expression in skeletal muscle. Not exactly an ideal side effect for anyone concerned about body composition.

AutoKal47

AutoKal47

AK DoubleWide 47
Awards
Glucosamine also reduces GLUT4 expression in skeletal muscle. Not exactly an ideal side effect for anyone concerned about body composition.
Significantly? at what dose do you think it could be noticed?

I'm asking because in the past two weeks I got slightly pissed at my body comp,
and I'm trying to figure out why, I'm going thru the possible causes one at the time
(sodium vs water intake, estrogen rebound from stopping the clomid, fats intake during the week,
refeed size, etc..) but I haven't considered this because I had no idea

BB12

BB12

Awards
  • Established
^ that is interesting and never knew that before either.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Significantly? at what dose do you think it could be noticed?

I'm asking because in the past two weeks I got slightly pissed at my body comp,
and I'm trying to figure out why, I'm going thru the possible causes one at the time
(sodium vs water intake, estrogen rebound from stopping the clomid, fats intake during the week,
refeed size, etc..) but I haven't considered this because I had no idea
I don't know for certain as I don't believe it's ever been verified (or not verified for that matter) to have a significant effect in vivo. But there is more than one research article that has shown this in vitro.

sina

Banned
Awards
This is the same reason I was told to not take Glucosamine, MSM, Chond. while a high-dosed Fish-oil, Cissus does your joints great.

Has anyone here super-dosed cissus really?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Hmm news to me, thanks for the info. Got a study? Even in vitro data can help us draw conclusions about the in vivo relevance.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
NOW's topical celadrin is also another good option.

I also hear iForce might be coming out with a joint product in the near future :eek:
Mwuhahahahaahahahaha!
evil-overlord.jpg

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm news to me, thanks for the info. Got a study? Even in vitro data can help us draw conclusions about the in vivo relevance.
I guess there is actually some human research. Popping glucosamine glut4 into medline gets more, but this is most relevant:

Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Apr;19(4):375-80. Epub 2011 Jan 18.

[h=1]The effect of glucosamine on glucose metabolism in humans: a systematic review of the literature.[/h]Dostrovsky NR, Towheed TE, Hudson RW, Anastassiades TP.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Internal Medicine, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]OBJECTIVE:[/h]Glucosamine is commonly used for the treatment of osteoarthritis. It is available as an over the counter preparation and also as a prescription pharmaceutical. There is concern from animal experiments that glucosamine may alter glucose metabolism through the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway. The objective of this systematic review is to determine if exogenous glucosamine adversely affects glucose metabolism in humans. This review does not separate out the effects on glucose metabolism of the various glucosamine preparations.
[h=4]METHOD:[/h]An English-language literature search of MEDLINE, EMBASE and EBM Reviews (1950-February 2009) was conducted. The bibliographies of selected papers were manually searched for additional references. Two reviewers independently analyzed studies for quality and content using a standardized data extraction form.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Eleven studies were included. Six studies were randomized controlled trials and the remaining five were prospective studies with or without controls. Four of the studies found decreased insulin sensitivity or increased fasting glucose in subjects taking glucosamine. Three of these were clinical studies using oral glucosamine. Studies that included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without such subjects.
[h=4]CONCLUSION:[/h]Clinical studies, including three using oral glucosamine, have provided mixed evidence about the effect of exogenous glucosamine on glucose metabolism in humans. Therefore, more studies are needed, particularly including subjects at high risk for impairments in glucose homeostasis, before a definite conclusion can be made.
Copyright © 2011 Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

PMID: 21251987 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I gave the full-text a brief read-over. There isn't sufficient data on the long-term effects (for those who use it, say, for years), but here are some tidbits:

"The majority of the studies included obese subjects"
"
Four out of the 11 studies reported a significant effect on glucose metabolism"
"
Of these four ‘positive’ studies, two included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance (Fig. 2)[SUP] [11] and [13][/SUP]. Neither of the two studies on diabetic subjects detected a statistically significant effect on glucose metabolism[SUP] [12] and [14][/SUP]. Three of the seven studies that included obese subjects found an effect on glucose metabolism"

"
As shown in Fig. 2, studies that included subjects with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without those subjects."

Cliffs:

-More research is needed on long-term effects
-It appears that glucosamine MAY increase insulin resistance if you are already obese/diabetic. Effects in healthy humans seem less convincing.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I gave the full-text a brief read-over. There isn't sufficient data on the long-term effects (for those who use it, say, for years), but here are some tidbits:

"The majority of the studies included obese subjects"
"
Four out of the 11 studies reported a significant effect on glucose metabolism"
"
Of these four ‘positive’ studies, two included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance (Fig. 2)[SUP] [11] and [13][/SUP]. Neither of the two studies on diabetic subjects detected a statistically significant effect on glucose metabolism[SUP] [12] and [14][/SUP]. Three of the seven studies that included obese subjects found an effect on glucose metabolism"

"
As shown in Fig. 2, studies that included subjects with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without those subjects."

Cliffs:

-More research is needed on long-term effects
-It appears that glucosamine MAY increase insulin resistance if you are already obese/diabetic. Effects in healthy humans seem less convincing.
Good to know. I've never dug into the stuff, just noticed hits on medline.

molllyrouse

Awards
joint pain supplement

If you have joint pains, then flexoplex is the best joint pain supplement and the best way you can address your problems from the root of it.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never heard of it what's in it?

- Valdez

Gmm004

Gmm004

Awards
Might sound dumb, but this is the only joint support stuff I have found that works for me. However my injury is somewhat different than yours I had MRSA in my knee that destroyed everything Including cartlidge and the growth plates.

Give it a try its cheap at Walgreens

"Finest Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Double Strength Caplets"