Supplements for Joint-pain?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Glucosamine also reduces GLUT4 expression in skeletal muscle. Not exactly an ideal side effect for anyone concerned about body composition.
    Hmm news to me, thanks for the info. Got a study? Even in vitro data can help us draw conclusions about the in vivo relevance.

2. Quote Originally Posted by PuZo View Post
    NOW's topical celadrin is also another good option.

I also hear iForce might be coming out with a joint product in the near future
    Mwuhahahahaahahahaha!Name:  evil-overlord.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  48.4 KB
    New-Man Nutrition Services
    http://www.facebook.com/newmannutrition.newman?ref=ts
    Live Free, Train Hard
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Hmm news to me, thanks for the info. Got a study? Even in vitro data can help us draw conclusions about the in vivo relevance.
    I guess there is actually some human research. Popping glucosamine glut4 into medline gets more, but this is most relevant:

Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Apr;19(4):375-80. Epub 2011 Jan 18.

The effect of glucosamine on glucose metabolism in humans: a systematic review of the literature.

Dostrovsky NR, Towheed TE, Hudson RW, Anastassiades TP.
    Source

Department of Internal Medicine, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Glucosamine is commonly used for the treatment of osteoarthritis. It is available as an over the counter preparation and also as a prescription pharmaceutical. There is concern from animal experiments that glucosamine may alter glucose metabolism through the hexosamine biosynthetic pathway. The objective of this systematic review is to determine if exogenous glucosamine adversely affects glucose metabolism in humans. This review does not separate out the effects on glucose metabolism of the various glucosamine preparations.
    METHOD:

An English-language literature search of MEDLINE, EMBASE and EBM Reviews (1950-February 2009) was conducted. The bibliographies of selected papers were manually searched for additional references. Two reviewers independently analyzed studies for quality and content using a standardized data extraction form.
    RESULTS:

Eleven studies were included. Six studies were randomized controlled trials and the remaining five were prospective studies with or without controls. Four of the studies found decreased insulin sensitivity or increased fasting glucose in subjects taking glucosamine. Three of these were clinical studies using oral glucosamine. Studies that included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without such subjects.
    CONCLUSION:

Clinical studies, including three using oral glucosamine, have provided mixed evidence about the effect of exogenous glucosamine on glucose metabolism in humans. Therefore, more studies are needed, particularly including subjects at high risk for impairments in glucose homeostasis, before a definite conclusion can be made.
    Copyright 2011 Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

PMID: 21251987 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

4. I gave the full-text a brief read-over. There isn't sufficient data on the long-term effects (for those who use it, say, for years), but here are some tidbits:

"The majority of the studies included obese subjects"
    "
    Four out of the 11 studies reported a significant effect on glucose metabolism"
    "
    Of these four ‘positive’ studies, two included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance (Fig. 2) [11] and [13]. Neither of the two studies on diabetic subjects detected a statistically significant effect on glucose metabolism [12] and [14]. Three of the seven studies that included obese subjects found an effect on glucose metabolism"

"
    As shown in Fig. 2, studies that included subjects with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without those subjects."

Cliffs:

-More research is needed on long-term effects
    -It appears that glucosamine MAY increase insulin resistance if you are already obese/diabetic. Effects in healthy humans seem less convincing.

5. Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    I gave the full-text a brief read-over. There isn't sufficient data on the long-term effects (for those who use it, say, for years), but here are some tidbits:

"The majority of the studies included obese subjects"
    "
    Four out of the 11 studies reported a significant effect on glucose metabolism"
    "
    Of these four ‘positive’ studies, two included subjects with baseline impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance (Fig. 2) [11] and [13]. Neither of the two studies on diabetic subjects detected a statistically significant effect on glucose metabolism [12] and [14]. Three of the seven studies that included obese subjects found an effect on glucose metabolism"

"
    As shown in Fig. 2, studies that included subjects with impaired glucose tolerance or insulin resistance were more likely to detect an effect on glucose metabolism than studies without those subjects."

Cliffs:

-More research is needed on long-term effects
    -It appears that glucosamine MAY increase insulin resistance if you are already obese/diabetic. Effects in healthy humans seem less convincing.
    Good to know. I've never dug into the stuff, just noticed hits on medline.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

•   

6. joint pain supplement

If you have joint pains, then flexoplex is the best joint pain supplement and the best way you can address your problems from the root of it.

7. How is it with arthritis issues?
  8. Re: Supplements for Joint-pain?

Never heard of it what's in it?

- Valdez
    The Physique Biochemist
    Biochemistry Major
    Your Physique AND Credentials Should Back Up Your Position

9. I googled it & it had some pretty good reviews

10. Might sound dumb, but this is the only joint support stuff I have found that works for me. However my injury is somewhat different than yours I had MRSA in my knee that destroyed everything Including cartlidge and the growth plates.

Give it a try its cheap at Walgreens

"Finest Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Double Strength Caplets"

11. Thanx I'll check it out.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Joint Pain During PCT
    By radiodude in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
  2. Anyone ever get joint pain?
    By joker123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9