Fasted cardio with or without protein?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Fasted cardio with or without protein?

I do fasted cardio almost every morning and I take ~45 grams of protein before and sip on bcaa's during workout. Does the protein counter the fat loss benefits of fasted cardio? Would 20 grams of protein or sipping bcaa's during workout help against losing muscle mass from doing cardio on an empty stomach?
    I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

well 45g of pro is 180 cals so its not fasted at that point...bcaa consumption is fine solo for fasted cardio
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Yea I thought maybe I should cut it down to 20, or maybe without protein and just bcaa's?
    I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I prefer just doing BCAA's. Then Protein immediately after.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbero
    Yea I thought maybe I should cut it down to 20, or maybe without protein and just bcaa's?
    Whatever you do, at your fasted state you have to consume less than 50 cals from what I read.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Clemenza View Post
    I prefer just doing BCAA's. Then Protein immediately after.
    i prefer this as well....ive trained fasted for a long time now and have only used amino's pre/intra/post...just recently added protein post after my last amino consumption
    www.lgsciences.com
  7. Registered User
    Answers

There is no benefit from fed vs fasted cardio (unless you're using yohimbine).
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69
    Please post a reputable yohimbe supp bro.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Preff one without buffers or fillers.... Thanks.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

hahaha.... fasted cardio but your not doing fasted cardio... hahahaha....

Im going to take this supplement on an empty stomach right now, but hold on I have to eat this sandwich first.
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger
    hahaha.... fasted cardio but your not doing fasted cardio... hahahaha....

Im going to take this supplement on an empty stomach right now, but hold on I have to eat this sandwich first.
    Who are you addressing?
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC View Post
    Who are you addressing?
    obviously the OP
    Log of EPIC by FRL - http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/202576-should-epic-frl.html
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Preff one without buffers or fillers.... Thanks.
    There's going to be some filler in the capsule because of the small dose of yohimbine.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    There's going to be some filler in the capsule because of the small dose of yohimbine.
    True just trying to back away from certain dyes and preservatives......
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Pretty much this, but lol at the "what should I eat before fasted cardio" type thinking that prevails nowdays
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoforce View Post
    Pretty much this, but lol at the "what should I eat before fasted cardio" type thinking that prevails nowdays
    I'm just terrified of the thought that I will burn my muscles while doing fasted cardio

Are you sure?

This is from T Nation

Pro #1: Morning cardio could potentially increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFA) used up as fuel. This is not due to performing cardio in a glycogen depleted state though, since this isn't happening here. Unless you go to sleep in an already depleted state, you won't wake up in such a state.

During sleep almost 100% of the energy expended comes from fatty acids because of the extremely low intensity of the activity and because of the natural hGH burst which occurs 30 minutes or so after you enter the deep sleep phase (hGH increases fatty acid mobilization).

So you really aren't depleting your intramuscular glycogen stores during the night. You might be tapping your hepatic glycogen stores slightly, but even then that can't account for much since at best this contains maybe 200-300kcals of stored energy. So it's a fallacy to believe that when you wake up your muscles are emptied of their glycogen.

However, since fat is the primary energy source during your sleeping period, chances are that upon waking you have a greater amount of free fatty acids available. Since you don't have to mobilize them (they're already freed up) they become easier to oxidize for fuel and are thus more readily used up during morning cardio.

Pro #2: Fasted morning cardio could also potentially be glycogen-sparing for the same reason as stated above: the greater availability of FFAs reduces the reliance of glycogen for fuel during low-intensity energy systems work.

Pro #3: Fasted morning cardio could lead to an improved fatty acid mobilization during exercise and increase insulin sensitivity afterwards. This might be true of exercise at a low level of intensity (50-75% of max VO2) since this decreases insulin levels via the stimulation of adrenergic receptors. A lower insulin level can increase fatty acid mobilization.

I notice the word could many times so I assume there is no solid evidence to back this up but could there be any truth to this?
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Answers

burn my muscles??? oh man this is getting good.. .time to pop the popcorn and watch this train wreck.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Answers

You can go 2-3 days with minimal nutrition before you go catabolic, don't worry about that...fasted training is the tits.
  19. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

True just trying to back away from certain dyes and preservatives......
    Why not just get powder and parachute
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

Why not just get powder and parachute
    Yeah, prob my best option....
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 0071982WC

Yeah, prob my best option....
    Can you recommend a reputable source of bulk raulowscine? I'm sure I spelled that wrong!
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Why are people giving the OP Jonbero such a hard time?

This question he asked is one of the most argued ons in our community.

C'mon peeps, give the guy a break. Let's not turn this board in BB.com

That said, I would love to hear a civil, educated discussion and meeting of the gifted minds on this one.

Until this day, I am still not convinced on any of the sides as ALL of them have a reasonable amount of logic to back them; beyond just bro-logic.

For what it's worth, I use 10 grams BCAA's pre-cardio b/c I am also terrifed of catabolizing hard earned muscle tissue.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Rauwolscine powder is going to be tough to find buddy

Maybe email a bulk supplier to see if they can sell you some?

I just checked 2 sites - nada.

Can you recommend a reputable source of bulk raulowscine? I'm sure I spelled that wrong!
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked
    Rauwolscine powder is going to be tough to find buddy

Maybe email a bulk supplier to see if they can sell you some?

I just checked 2 sites - nada.
    Damn, thanks for the feedback bro! I'll see what I can find.....
  25. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jonbero View Post
    I'm just terrified of the thought that I will burn my muscles while doing fasted cardio

Are you sure?

This is from T Nation

Pro #1: Morning cardio could potentially increase the amount of free fatty acids (FFA) used up as fuel. This is not due to performing cardio in a glycogen depleted state though, since this isn't happening here. Unless you go to sleep in an already depleted state, you won't wake up in such a state.

During sleep almost 100% of the energy expended comes from fatty acids because of the extremely low intensity of the activity and because of the natural hGH burst which occurs 30 minutes or so after you enter the deep sleep phase (hGH increases fatty acid mobilization).

So you really aren't depleting your intramuscular glycogen stores during the night. You might be tapping your hepatic glycogen stores slightly, but even then that can't account for much since at best this contains maybe 200-300kcals of stored energy. So it's a fallacy to believe that when you wake up your muscles are emptied of their glycogen.

However, since fat is the primary energy source during your sleeping period, chances are that upon waking you have a greater amount of free fatty acids available. Since you don't have to mobilize them (they're already freed up) they become easier to oxidize for fuel and are thus more readily used up during morning cardio.

Pro #2: Fasted morning cardio could also potentially be glycogen-sparing for the same reason as stated above: the greater availability of FFAs reduces the reliance of glycogen for fuel during low-intensity energy systems work.

Pro #3: Fasted morning cardio could lead to an improved fatty acid mobilization during exercise and increase insulin sensitivity afterwards. This might be true of exercise at a low level of intensity (50-75% of max VO2) since this decreases insulin levels via the stimulation of adrenergic receptors. A lower insulin level can increase fatty acid mobilization.

I notice the word could many times so I assume there is no solid evidence to back this up but could there be any truth to this?
    #1 "could potentially increase" - not does increase or will increase, maybe coulda sometimes increase.
    #2 - "could also potentially" - same as above, but even funnier really. If you think just for a moment. accepted amount of max fat loss in a week is say 2lbs for a 200lber. thats 7000 calories worth (this is all ballpark) in 7 days, or 1000 calories worth a day of FFA mobilization. you get maybe 50 calories per hour of FFA mobilization.... so sure, do enough cardio to just burn 50 calories in an hour and even if you double it, 100 calories in an hour. still meaningless. Do an hour worth of even steady state low intensity and at least 200 calories come from elsewhere.
    #3 "could lead to" and "this might be true". But doesn't state how. even if you double the fatty acid mobilization (as above) its not enough to make a dent.

then look at the flipside. If you can perform better, faster, longer doing fed cardio and your total calories for the day is the same, guess in which scenario you'll lose more fat?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

alphaburn is what id recommend.....
    www.lgsciences.com
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

my flex magazine says otherwise...
    www.lgsciences.com
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech View Post
    Flex is always my go-to source for cutting edge training information.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  29. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Alpha burn (only other ingredient is black pepper) unless you just want bulk yohimbine
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  30. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech

Who needs science if you've got flex magazine?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

alphaburn is what id recommend.....
    beat ya to it
    www.lgsciences.com
  32. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Was doing my cardio in the AM fasted (no BCAA) and getting the recomp results hoped for. Switched up to doing cardio in the late afternoon non fasted while keeping everything else the same and guess what? ... getting the exact same recomp results as with fasted.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Answers

Train and run fasted year round and stay sub 7 percent bf....... Not saying its the only way but it works well for me.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    #1 "could potentially increase" - not does increase or will increase, maybe coulda sometimes increase.
    #2 - "could also potentially" - same as above, but even funnier really. If you think just for a moment. accepted amount of max fat loss in a week is say 2lbs for a 200lber. thats 7000 calories worth (this is all ballpark) in 7 days, or 1000 calories worth a day of FFA mobilization. you get maybe 50 calories per hour of FFA mobilization.... so sure, do enough cardio to just burn 50 calories in an hour and even if you double it, 100 calories in an hour. still meaningless. Do an hour worth of even steady state low intensity and at least 200 calories come from elsewhere.
    #3 "could lead to" and "this might be true". But doesn't state how. even if you double the fatty acid mobilization (as above) its not enough to make a dent.

then look at the flipside. If you can perform better, faster, longer doing fed cardio and your total calories for the day is the same, guess in which scenario you'll lose more fat?
    Yes notice what I wrote under the article, it does sound like just bro science but I just wanted to know if there might be any truth to this and if its worth trying out.

I did try cardio today without the protein, I drank 5 grams of USPLabs modern bcaa's before my 30 minute steady state cardio session and 5 grams during. I didn't notice any change in performance compared to yesterday when I took 45 grams of protein and 10 grams of modern bcaa during workout.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Answers

its preference really, i feel better when i train fasted plus i workout early in the am and dont care to eat that early.....did you ship today?
    www.lgsciences.com
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Answers

its preference really, i feel better when i train fasted plus i workout early in the am and dont care to eat that early.....did you ship today?
    Yes I dropped it off today 5pm, should be there soon
  37. Registered User
    Answers

Yes, I am sure that fasted cardio is not any more preferable than fed cardio. It's not even due to substrate metabolism but rather net energy expenditure.
  38. Registered User
    Answers

What number Weider principle?
  39. Registered User
    Answers

You wouldn't want a non-standardized powder anyway. Genomyx alphaburn is your best bet.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Op. Why not try Lean Gains and never touch cardio again ahah?
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fasted cardio
    By a312 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM
  2. Anyone using Drive and or RPM before fasted cardio?
    By EasyEJL in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
  3. When to eat after fasted cardio.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
  4. doing fasted cardio now what
    By tommytucker69 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
  5. Help /w fasted AM cardio...