Which Health Claims are Actually Supported with Green Tea Extract

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Improve Your Health AND Lose Fat With Green Tea Extract​
By kingjameskjf

Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) has been consumed in India and China for centuries. It is also one of the most consumed beverages in the world. [1] Green tea comes from a shrub that is found in Asia. It often totes many medicinal claims from the prevention of cancer to weight loss.

The claims are many and will be broken down and analyzed to see what actually has merit. The specific brand I will be evaluating today is Serious Nutrition Solutions (SNS) Green Tea Extract, although it applies to more then just this brand.The claims made for this supplemental herb by the manufacturer are as follows; fat loss, enhance immune function, suppress appetite, and maximize performance. The dosing protocol calls for one capsule 2-3 times per day prior to meals. No loading or cycling is needed. [2]

Green tea is composed of various substances that are attributed to the associated health effects. There are several different polyphenols (catechins). The main one is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG composes most of the catechin amount at 10-50%. It is speculated that this is also the most powerful catechin. [3]

Other common claims of Green Tea Extract (GTE) are: general antioxidant, stimulant, antilipidemic, and antiatherosclerotic. GTE has been shown to help reduce cancer of the bladder, ovaries, gastric, pancreatic and esophageal organs. It has also shown to help aid in cognitive function. [3]

In considering the anticancer properties of GTE, one study showed the cancer rate for those subjects in the GTE group to be at 16% in comparison to the placebo group, which had a much higher occurrence at 46%. [4] Black tea, in contrast, actually showed to increase the cancer risk. Black tea is made by allowing the green tea leaves to ferment and oxidize before drying. [3] EGCG was also found to be effective at inhibiting the replication of two strains of HIV. [5]

Many of the anticancer benefits of GTE are also interrelated to its antioxidant properties. One study showed that the antioxidants provided protection from DNA damage. It also demonstrated the ability to both inhibit and stop the formation and progression of tumor growths that were cancerous. [6] That study correlated with another done on rats measuring the ability of GTE to prevent the inner organs from sustaining oxidative DNA damage. The study found that there was no reduction of DNA damage when the administered GTE dose was low (1.3 mg/kg body weight per day). When a higher dose of 6.5 mg/kg body weight per day was used, the researchers found that it did have a reduction in DNA damage. They also found it had protective effects of the hepatocytes, colonocytes, and lymphocytes. [7]

EGCG antioxidant activity is quite high, estimated at approximately 25-100 times the potency of vitamin C and vitamin E. The antioxidant activity of 10-40 mg of the polyphenols in GTE is greater then strawberries, carrots, broccoli, or even spinach. This is the same amount that is typically found in a cup of green tea. The antioxidant properties of the catechins protect the body from free radical oxidative damage. [1] The effects of the catechins in GTE are farther reaching then even that. When dosed at a concentration of 455-910 mg of catechin content, atherosclerotic disease risk factors and proinflammation were reduced. It also diminished the production of hemodialysis production of hypochlorous acid and hydrogen peroxide. [12] This aids in demonstrating the far-reaching health benefits that are associated with the catechin content.

The antilipidemic properties of GTE seem to be disputed between whether they impact HDL cholesterol lipoproteins positively or not. When it comes to LDL lipoproteins, the case for its efficacy is much stronger. One recent study was a meta-analysis of 14 other controlled trials, which had to meet stringent criteria to be included, to ensure accurate and applicable information. The studies comprised 1,136 subjects. The results showed that the consumption of green tea extract by the subjects “significantly lowered the total cholesterol concentration”. [8] The same study also found the LDL-cholesterol concentration to be significantly lower. However, the HDL-cholesterol concentration was not found to be statistically significant. In considering the claim of enhancing immune function, there is support to substantiate the claims of immunoprotective qualities of GTE. [9][10]

One eight-week experiment demonstrated the ability of GTE to significantly improve memory as well as learning with increased retention. [11] Another study used a combination of GTE and L-theanine to test for attention and memory in subjects that had mild cognitive impairment. Brain theta waves increased significantly, indicating cognitive alertness and the potential for cognitive improvement. [12]

Another eight-week trial with diabetics found a significant effect of GTE on serum adiponectin levels and increased insulin sensitivity. [13]

The claim of GTE maximizing performance is vague and as such can either be disputed or validated depending on what you considered to be performance enhancing. For example, one study tested reflex performance and found no difference. [11] So in consideration of that parameter, is has no efficacy. Yet, another study showed an improvement in muscle health through the mechanism of delaying necrosis via the antioxidant properties. [14] One study of four weeks showed greater merit when it used a combination of GTW with a strength resistance program. The results showed that GTE provided oxidative damage protection in both the long-term strength training group and the short-term endurance group. [24] This would support the claims of GTE helping to increase exercise performance.

Literature supports appetite suppression through a leptin receptor independent control pathway. Kao et al conducted studies that found EGCG helps to reduce food consumption through appetite modulation, supporting that claim for GTE. [15][16]

The claim that garners the most attention however, is in regards to fat loss or beta-oxidation, where fatty acids are transported to the mitochondria to be burned for energy. There are multiple proposed mechanisms supporting this claim in the research. One is that GTE increases thermogenesis. For example, several studies showed an increase in caloric expenditure, the promotion of beta-oxidation, and the stimulation of thermogenesis. [17][18][19][20][21]

A couple of these studies also demonstrated that the thermogenic effects were far greater then what could be attributed to the caffeine content of the GTE alone. [17][18]

One postulated reason is through the increase of the catecholamine norepinephrine. The GTE catechin polyphenols inhibition of catechol-O-methyltransferase enzyme keeps it from degrading norepinephrine levels. [18][20][21] A similar and more recent study found those same results and related it more specifically to EGCG “to augment and prolong sympathetic stimulation of thermogenesis”. [22]

It also mentions the catechins being associated with decreasing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Fat oxidation was shown to be accelerated through the use of GTE over placebo in another study that found the increase to be 17% greater. The contribution of total energy expenditure from fat oxidation was also much higher. Subjects were also found to have an increase in insulin sensitivity by 13%. [23]

A recent study on overweight and obese men yielded several interesting points. Subjects in the test group were administered decaffeinated GTE in the amount of 530 mg with 400 mg being total catechins. It was administered in capsule form twice a day for 6 weeks. They found that GTE had no effect or benefit in association with blood pressure or metabolic function. However, they did find that the test subjects’ body weight did decrease and that there was a protective effect against weight gain by the catechins. [25]

One bottle of SNS Green Tea Extract costs $12.95 and contains 75 capsules. At the minimum recommended manufacturer dose of 2 capsules per day, it would last 37 days. That makes it .35 cents per day. That would provide 1 gram of GTE with 50% being EGCG at 500 mg. At the maximum recommended manufacturer dose of 3 capsules per day, it would last 25 days. This would be at a cost of .52 cents per day. That would provide 1.5 g of GTE with EGCG at 750 mg. [2] It’s even cheaper at Nutraplanet at $9.99 per bottle. Serious Nutrition Solutions Green Tea Ultra (75 Capsules): Discount Green Tea Ultra Supplements

Typical recommended daily dosage is approximately 100-500 mg per day with at least 40% standardization for polyphenols. SNS GTE is at 90% for their polyphenols. [1] In searching through various studies, I found that the lower doses of GTE, particularly the EGCG, didn’t have as much impact or health benefits as higher dosages. I also found that typically, the most effective range of GTE was approximately 500mg to 1 g.

Consumption of green tea up to 20 cups per day has been shown to be safe with few side effects. Those who are sensitive may experience some restlessness, heart palpitations, and tachycardia from the caffeine content. The SNS GTE contains approximately 3 mg of caffeine per capsule. However, it is common to find GTE capsules to range from .60 mg to 20.01 mg of caffeine content. [26]

Contraindications include using GTE with; bronchodilators in large amounts as it may increase the action, beta-adrenergic blockers due to possible increase in inotropic effects, and MAOI’s due to possible hypertension. [3]

I have and am currently using this supplement myself. I have also known many other people that have as well. I don’t personally know of any adverse reactions from anybody taking GTE. I don’t necessarily feel any of the effects of GTE, but bear in mind that it is not a powerful stimulant as the caffeine content is relatively low, and it takes time for the benefits to manifest themselves. I have noticed a positive change in body composition but I can’t attribute that solely to GTE as I often take other supplements with it and combine it with an exercise and diet plan.

In reading though the plethora of research, it is very promising in many aspects of healthy living. The label claims were met and exceeded. The fat oxidation and the LDL-cholesterol lowering factors were the most studied and efficacious. There is promise for even more healthy benefits but some still require continuing research to further solidify and establish them. I would recommend this supplement because it is proven to be safe and effective.

References:
1. Talbott S.M., Hughes, K. The Health Professionals Guide to Dietary Supplements. Maryland. Lippincott, Williams& Wilkins. 2007.
2. Green Tea. Serious Nutrition Solutions website. 2012. Available at: Green-Tea | SNS - Serious Nutrition Solutions. Accessed 14 March, 2012.
3. Skidmore-Roth L. Mosby’s Handbook of Herbs and Natural Supplements. In third ed. Green Tea. Missouri. 2006. 535-539.
4. Lou SQ et al. Inhibitory effect of green tea on the carcinogenesis induced with asbestos plus benzo(a)pyrene in rat. Biomed Environ Sci. 1995. 8(1): 54-58.
5. Fassing G et al. Polyphenolic antioxidant epigallocatechin-3-gallate from green tea as a candidate anti-HIV agent. AIDS. 2002. 16(6):939-941.
6. Ahn, WS et al. Protective effects of green tea extracts (polyphenon E and EGCG) on human cervical lesions. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2003. 12(5):383-390.
7. Kager N, Ferk F, Kundi M, Wagner K, Misik M, Knasmuller S. Prevention of oxidative DNA damage in inner organs and lymphocytes of rats by green tea extract. Eur J Nutr. 2010. 49(4):227-234. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=2297&accno=2010656996. Accessed 8 March, 2012.
8. Zheng et al. Green tea intake lowers fasting serum total and LDL cholesterol in adults: a meta-analysis of 14 randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011. 94(2):601-610. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=678&accno=2011235573. Accessed 5 March, 2012.
9. Elmets CA et all. Cutaneous photoprotection from ultraviolet injury by green tea polyphenols. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2001. 44(3): 425-433.
10. Pisters et al. Phase I trial of green tea extract in adult patients with solid tumors. J Clin Oncol. 2001. 19(6):1830-1838.
11. Kaur T, Pathak CM, Pandhi P, Khanduja KL. Effects of green tea extract on learning, memory, behavior and acetylcholinesterase activity in young and old male rats. Brain Cognit. 2008. 67(1):25-30. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=1216&accno=2009954926. Accessed 8 March, 2012.
12. Park et al. A combination of green tea extract and L-theanine improves memory and attention in subjects with mild cognitive impairment: a double-blind placebo controlled study. J Medicinal Food. 2011. 14(4):334-43. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=2134&accno=2011017201. Accessed 6 March 2012.
13. Somayeh M et al. The effects of green tea extract on serum adiponectin concentration and insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci Health Serv. 2010. 17(70):44-57. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=4415&accno=2010784058. Accessed 10 March, 2012.
14. Buetler TM, et al. Green tea extract decreases muscle necrosis in mice and protects against reactive oxygen species. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002. 75(4):749-753.
15. Kao YH, Hiipakka RA, Liao S . Modulation of endocrine systems and food intake by green tea epigallocatechin gallate. Endocrinology. 2000. 141: 980-987.
16. Kao YH, Hiipakka RA, Liao S . Modulation of obesity by a green tea catechin. Am J Clin Nutr 2000. 72: 1232-1234.
17. Chantre P, Lairon D. Recent findings of green tea extract AR25 (Exolise) and its activity for the treatment of obesity. Phytomedicine. 2002. 9(1): 3-8.
18. Dulloo AG et al. Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin-polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidationin humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 1999. 70(6): 1040-1045.
19. Dulloo AG, Seydoux J, Girardier L, Chantre P, Vandermanders J. Green tea and thermogenesis: interactions between catechin-polyphenols, caffeine, and sympathetic activity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000. 24(2): 252-258.
20. Komatsu T et al. Oolong tea increases energy metabolism in Japanese females. J Med Invest. 2003. 50(3-4): 170-175.
21. Kovac EM, Lejeune MO, Nijs I, Westerterp-Plantenga MS. Effects of green tea on weight maintenance after body weight loss. Br J Nutr. 2004. 91(3): 431-437.
22. Shixian Q, VanCrey B, Shi J, kakuda Y, Jiang Y. Green tea extract thermogenesis-induced weight loss by epigallocatechin gallate inhibition of catechol-O-methyltransferase. J Medicinal Food. 2006. 9(4):451-58. www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=2134&accno=2009503751.
23. Venables MC, Hulston CJ, Cox HR, Jeukendrup AE. Green tea extract ingestion, fat oxidation, and glucose tolerance in healthy humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008. 87(3): 778-84. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=678&accno=2009876420. Accessed 10 March, 2012.
24. Jowko E, Sacharuk J, Balasinska, B, Ostaszewski P, Charmas M, Charmas R. Green tea extract supplementation gives protection against exercise induced oxidative damage in healthy men. Nutrition Research. 2011. 31(11): 813-821.
25. Brown AL, Lane J, Holyoak C, Nicol B, Mayes AE, Dadd T. Health effects of green tea catechins in overweight and obese men: a randomized controlled cross-over trial. BR J Nutr. 2011. 106(12): 1880-9. Available at: www.cinahl.com/cgi-bin/refsvc?jid=1281&accno=2011412577. Accessed 8 March, 2012.
26. Andrews K et al. The Caffeine Contents of Dietary Supplements Commonly Purchased in the US: Analysis of 53 Products with Caffeine-containing Ingredients. Analytical Bioanalytical Chemistry. 2007.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent read.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just started taking Green Tea extract not even a week ago. Glad I read this. I'll switch to taking it during my fasted cardio in the morning.
Only thing I would add here is watch taking it on an empty stomach. Might try it on a few off days to make sure it doesn't effect you. I've thrown up GTE type supplements before when taking them on an empty, but maybe its just me.

Jorsn

Awards
  • Established
Only thing I would add here is watch taking it on an empty stomach. Might try it on a few off days to make sure it doesn't effect you. I've thrown up GTE type supplements before when taking them on an empty, but maybe its just me.
Thanks for that tip. Last thing I want is to be at the gym doing cardio and all the sudden puke all over the place. I actually noticed a little discomfort the first day I took it but haven't noticed it since then. I'll bring a banana with me just in case I feel some churning in my stomach.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
A bit eye opening, Did you write this kingjames?

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Like it says, Green Tea Extract has been around for a long time. It's a great supp. Have been using it for a while. And its very cost-effective(the best part)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Just as a side note, you should always co-ingest vitamin C with your green tea extract. I do 3 caps SNS GTE spaced 4 hours apart daily

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just started taking Green Tea extract not even a week ago. Glad I read this. I'll switch to taking it during my fasted cardio in the morning.
I take my first dose in the morning before fasted cardio too. As geoforce mentioned, not everyone will be able to handle it the same but I haven't had any issues myself.

A bit eye opening, Did you write this kingjames?
I sure did! :)

Just as a side note, you should always co-ingest vitamin C with your green tea extract. I do 3 caps SNS GTE spaced 4 hours apart daily
That's how I dose mine too.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nicely executed there James! Color me impressed....:clap2:

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Coop, curious, why always take with vitamin c?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its so cheap too why not add it in?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Everyone should be taking green tea daily, and I would add fish oil and curcumin. I do. :)

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone should be taking green tea daily, and I would add fish oil and curcumin. I do. :)
What brand of curcumin do you use?

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Curcumin -

http://www.ergo-log.com/curcuminrecovery.html

Curcumin helps damaged muscle recover faster
Curcumin, the yellow colour in the spice turmeric, has a muscle strengthening effect, and this is most pronounced in muscles that are recovering. According to an animal study done at Emory University in 1999, curcumin can speed up muscle recovery by at least a factor five.
http://www.ergo-log.com/curcuminanabolic.html

Curcumin isn't anticatabolic at all – it's anabolicCurcumin is perhaps the most interesting supplement being written about by scientists right now. True, hardly any research has been done on humans, and the French research that will be published soon in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry is an animal study. But if this animal study confirms that curcumin really has anabolic qualities, we won't be complaining.
http://www.ergo-log.com/turmericglucose.html

Turmeric boosts glucose uptake in muscle cellsJust a couple of capsules of curcumin – the active ingredient inturmeric [Curcuma longa] – can radically boost the amount of glucose that muscle cells take up.
Diabetes-2 has become a widespread disease in Korea as well, so Korean pharmacologists are looking for substances that help cells to absorb more glucose. Researchers at the Gyeongsang National University have discovered in experiments with mouse muscle cells that curcumin enhances the effect ofinsulin.

[h=1]Efficacy and safety of Curcuma domestica extracts in patients with knee osteoarthritis.[/h]
Kuptniratsaikul V, Thanakhumtorn S, Chinswangwatanakul P, Wattanamongkonsil L, Thamlikitkul V.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. [email protected]

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]OBJECTIVE:[/h]The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy and safety of Curcuma domestica extracts in pain reduction and functional improvement in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
[h=4]STUDY DESIGN AND SETTING:[/h]The design and setting were a randomized controlled study at a university hospital in Bangkok, Thailand.
[h=4]METHODS:[/h]One-hundred and seven (107) patients with primary knee osteoarthritis (OA) with pain score of > or =5 were randomized to receive ibuprofen 800 mg per day or C. domestica extracts 2 g per day for 6 weeks. The main outcomes were improvement in pain on level walking, pain on stairs, and functions of knee assessed by time spent during 100-m walk and going up and down a flight of stairs. The adverse events were also recorded.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Fifty-two (52) and 55 patients were randomized to C. domestica extracts and ibuprofen groups, respectively. Baseline characteristics of the patients in both groups were not different. The mean scores of the aforementioned outcomes at weeks 0, 2, 4, and 6 were significantly improved when compared with the baseline values in both groups. There was no difference in those parameters between the patients receiving ibuprofen and C. domestica extracts, except pain on stairs (p = 0.016). No significant difference of adverse events between both groups was found (33.3% versus 44.2%, p = 0.36 in C. domestica extracts and ibuprofen groups, respectively).
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]

C. domestica extracts seem to be similarly efficacious and safe as ibuprofen for the treatment of knee OA
Turmeric has been used historically as a component of Indian Ayurvedic medicine. Research in the latter half of the 20th century identified curcumin as the agent responsible for most of the biological activity of turmeric.[SUP][12][/SUP] In vitro and animal studies have suggested a wide range of potential therapeutic or preventive effects associated with curcumin. At present, these effects have not been confirmed in humans. As of 2008, numerous clinical trials in humans were underway, studying the effect of curcumin on various diseases, including multiple myeloma, pancreatic cancer, myelodysplastic syndromes, colon cancer, psoriasis, and Alzheimer's disease.[SUP][13][/SUP]In both in vitro and animal studies, curcumin has shown antitumor,[SUP][14][/SUP][SUP][15][/SUP][SUP][16][/SUP] antioxidant, antiarthritic, antiamyloid, anti-ischemic,[SUP][17][/SUP] and anti-inflammatory properties.[SUP][18][/SUP][SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Anti-inflammatory properties may be due to inhibition of eicosanoid biosynthesis.[SUP][19][/SUP]
In HIV, it appears to act by interfering with P300/CREB-binding protein (CBP).[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
A study found it hepatoprotective in an animal model.[SUP][20][/SUP][SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
A study found that low concentrations of curcumin interfere with Herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1) replication. It inhibited the recruitment of RNA polymerase II to viral DNA, thus inhibiting its transcription. This effect was independent of the effect on histone acetyltransferase activities of p300/CBP.[SUP][21][/SUP]
A study found that curcumin is significantly associated with protection from infection by HSV-2 in animal models of intravaginal infections.[SUP][22][/SUP]
A study found that curcumin acts as a free radical scavenger and antioxidant, inhibiting lipid peroxidation and oxidative DNA damage, protecting against lead neurotoxicity, in rats.[SUP][23][/SUP]
Curcuminoids induce glutathione S-transferase and are potent inhibitors of cytochrome P450.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Curcumin was shown to be effective in protecting against toxicity and spatial memory impairment induced by amyloid β-protein infusion in a rat model.[SUP][24][/SUP]
A study using a transgenic animal model indicated that curcumin diminished plaque burden and overall inflammation, but it also increased plaque-associated inflammatory cells suggesting enhanced clearance.[SUP][25][/SUP]
A study found that curcumin shrank the size of plaques and reduced neurite dytrophy in an Alzheimer mouse model.[SUP][26][/SUP]
A study found curcumin to have a synergistic effect with fish oil to protect against cognitive deficits in a transgenic rodent model.[SUP][27][/SUP]
However, the results of studies in rodents may not translate to humans. In humans, unlike rats, curcumin is extensively metabolized to the glucuronidated form, which does not penetrate the blood-brain barrier and is therefore unable to reach brain tissues.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]
Numerous studies have demonstrated that curcumin has a positive effect on neurogenesis in the hippocampus and increases the levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in rats.[SUP][28][/SUP][SUP][29][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP]
A curcumin pyrazole derivative identified by high throughput screening was found to improve memory and was broadly neuroprotective, stimulating BDNF in vitro and in vivo.[SUP][31][/SUP][SUP][32][/SUP] The compound was found to be protective in animal models of brain trauma and stroke.[SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP]
[h=3][edit]Anticarcinogenic effects[/h]Its potential anticancer effects stem from its ability to induce apoptosis in cancer cells without cytotoxic effects on healthy cells. Curcumin can interfere with the activity of the transcription factor NF-κB, which has been linked to a number of inflammatory diseases such as cancer.[SUP][35][/SUP]
A 2009 study suggested curcumin may inhibit mTOR complex I via a novel mechanism.[SUP][36][/SUP]
Another 2009 study on curcumin effects on cancer states it "modulates growth of tumor cells through regulation of multiple cell signaling pathways including cell proliferation pathway (cyclin D1, c-myc), cell survival pathway (Bcl-2, Bcl-xL, cFLIP, XIAP, c-IAP1), caspase activation pathway (caspase-8, 3, 9), tumor suppressor pathway (p53, p21) death receptor pathway (DR4, DR5), mitochondrial pathways, and protein kinase pathway (JNK, Akt, and AMPK)".[SUP][37][/SUP]
An in vitro study in a human glioblastoma cell line reported that curcumin effectively inhibits tumor cell proliferation, as well as migration and invasion, and that these effects may be mediated through interference with the STAT3 signaling pathway.[SUP][38][/SUP]
When 0.2% curcumin is added to diet given to rats or mice previously given a carcinogen, it significantly reduces colon carcinogenesis.[SUP][39][/SUP]
In a study curcumin has been shown in vitro to have phyto-estrogenic activity that might contribute to activity against breast cancer.[SUP][40][/SUP]
In immunodeficient mice with breast cancer, curcumin inhibited the formation of lung metastases [SUP][41][/SUP] probably through the NF-kappa-B dependent regulation of protumorigenic inflammatory cytokines.[SUP][42][/SUP]
A study found that curcumin might be potentially useful in some kidney diseases by reducing lipopolysaccharide-induced renal inflammation.[SUP][43][/SUP]

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cucumin plus ginger. I think people looking to get in the best shape possible naturally should be using many herbs and items like green tea. A thriving body will grow better than a body stimmed with caffeine once before a workout.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cucumin plus ginger. I think people looking to get in the best shape possible naturally should be using many herbs and items like green tea. A thriving body will grow better than a body stimmed with caffeine once before a workout.
Hmm, caffeine is not the devil, it has many benefits. Caffeine as a component of green tea obviously has great benefits due to the additional properties of the green tea; coffee as well is very high in antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. But some of these new high-stimmed pre's with far more than 'moderate' levels of caffeine, AND other heavy stims, is probably not great for you.

As with anything, the problem is when you over-use it.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmm, caffeine is not the devil, it has many benefits. Caffeine as a component of green tea obviously has great benefits due to the additional properties of the green tea; coffee as well is very high in antioxidants and other beneficial compounds. But some of these new high-stimmed pre's with far more than 'moderate' levels of caffeine, AND other heavy stims, is probably not great for you.

As with anything, the problem is when you over-use it.
I wasnt saying caffeine is bad I was just stating that people seem to always chase which pre workout works best and are only concerned Bout that rather than make sure their.body is thriving on nutrition. Coffee truly is a great beverage especially organic.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Ain't nothin wrong with coffee, lol. But everything in moderation, which I think fightback was alluding to. Tis better to workout on as natural of a high as possible before hitting up the cracked out pre workouts that are out there now.

GTE and just plain old GT are a lot of bang for the buck. Nice balanced write up.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever tried brewing half a gallon of water and transferring it back into the jug? I do this with cranberry tea for competition prep for diuretics but was thinking about using green tea just for a simple cut diet.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just buy matcha for that purpose. Wicked strong powdered green tea leaf, highest amount of polyphenols of any green tea. Add stevia to sweeten.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Matcha. Never heard of it, ill look into that.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Any tea seller should have matcha. Cheap stuff is fine for health purposes, but the expensive stuff will taste better.

Try www.farleaves.com for your tea needs, she's awesome.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
That's pretty significant. 5g?!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still take my green tea caps everyday. I love the benefits from it.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are they exactly? The benefits you been expieriencing with using Green Tea.
Great detox,fat burning,neuro stimulating product man.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have always heard great things about green tea. I never ever really consumed it before or supplemented with it. Guess that's going to have to change.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have always heard great things about green tea. I never ever really consumed it before or supplemented with it. Guess that's going to have to change.
Ours is cheap I always pick it up on an order

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established