Best supplements for mass and strength for a 15 yr old male

footballmom

Awards
Hello Everyone- I'm trying to get information on the best product out there for my son. He is 15 years old and a Freshman in high school. He will be starting defensive end on the varsity football team this fall if we can get some weight on him. He is currently 6'1 and about 194 lbs he would like to be at about 220 by the time football season starts. He is currently taking 2 protein shakes a day (true-mass), he takes a preworkout (Jack3d). He is working out three times a week 5 days a week and two times a week on the weekends. Suggestions to gain strength would be appreciated also.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Pretty much this.

I personally am not a fan of weight gainers, whole foods do alot more than any supplement.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
at 15?

food and strict form when lifting..

footballmom

Awards
He is currently taking in about 4,000 calories a day. Any specific high calorie diet that you can recommend?

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Thats quite a high calorie intake. He is going to gain a good amount of fat on that high of a intake.

footballmom

Awards
He is working out three times a day. Early a.m. he does weight lifting, 5th period (mid-day) they alternate strength and speed workouts and p.m. workout consist of cardio, and plyometrics for his foot work so his workout schedule is burning most of it.

The Ripped

Awards
Well for a 15 year old the best thing to do (safeness wise) is stick to the protien, perferibly Nitro Isolate which is the purest protien on the market 65g of protien per serving. If anything have him take glutamine its kinda like kre alkalyn but better. And jacked has alot of caffine and sugar and has a decent amount of creatine in it which cause water weight, a better pre workout would be Xpand whihc is my favorite.

laserbluess

Awards
  • Established
someone's looking forward to their son's NFL paycheck.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Well for a 15 year old the best thing to do (safeness wise) is stick to the protien, perferibly Nitro Isolate which is the purest protien on the market 65g of protien per serving. If anything have him take glutamine its kinda like kre alkalyn but better. And jacked has alot of caffine and sugar and has a decent amount of creatine in it which cause water weight, a better pre workout would be Xpand whihc is my favorite.
Thats horrible information.

First, purest protein, that doesnt mean anything. Dozens of companies have pure sources. Second, dont compare glutamine and kre-alkalyn, one is a amino acid and the other is creatine. They have completely different processes in the body. And Jack3d has DMAA which yields the energy.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
What the hell is going on these days......

Anyways as someone that starting lifting at 11 years old I can honestly say he needs to stick to the basics.

Protein, food, proper form and sleep.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Says the guy who takes steriods at 17..lol

65 g protein shake is a waste
glutamine is not kinda like kre alkayln

Eat lots, train and get sleep.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Anyways as someone that starting lifting at 11 years old I can honestly say he needs to stick to the basics.

Thank you. I cringe at posts telling young kids to take any supplements. I read some of these threads and just hope that everyone in it says nothing but lift, eat, sleep.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Best supplement for the kid.

Pre Workout: Quick Oats
Post Workout: Whole Milk

Protein: Chicken and lean steaks

Sleep 8-9 hours a day.

Pick up heavy items and put them down.

Profit in muscles!!

footballmom

Awards
Best supplement for the kid.

Pre Workout: Quick Oats
Post Workout: Whole Milk

Protein: Chicken and lean steaks

Sleep 8-9 hours a day.

Pick up heavy items and put them down.

Profit in muscles!!
So at what age do you suggest him using supplements?

footballmom

Awards

What are you referring to? "What the hell is going on these days"

EarlPo

Awards
He doesn't need anything else cept to eat. Eggs, chicken, steak and alotta potatoes, pasta, and milk

footballmom

Awards
He doesn't need anything else cept to eat. Eggs, chicken, steak and alotta potatoes, pasta, and milk
Ok sounds good and at what age should he incorporate supplements into this diet?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok sounds good and at what age should he incorporate supplements into this diet?
After he is 18 and even then it shouldn't be counted on except for an edge. Are you really his mom or are you his agent?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
food and rest, at 15 supplements arent yet for you

footballmom

Awards
After he is 18 and even then it shouldn't be counted on except for an edge. Are you really his mom or are you his agent?
Your kidding right... I came here for information because I thought I was dealing with intelligent men but I'm beginning to think I was mistaken. If I was his agent I would say the hell with supplements just JUICE him up!!!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your kidding right... I came here for information because I thought I was dealing with intelligent men but I'm beginning to think I was mistaken. If I was his agent I would say the hell with supplements just JUICE him up!!!
Yeah right. We are men that actually know what we are talking about and it sounds like you are doing nothing but pushing for one of us to give you a list of supplements to give your child.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
Also, if he's subject to drug testing DMAA in Jack3d can cause trouble.

footballmom

Awards
Yeah right. We are men that actually know what we are talking about and it sounds like you are doing nothing but pushing for one of us to give you a list of supplements to give your child.
My son's well being is more important to me than anything and from most of the information thus so far he doesn't need to be taking anything. At 15 he is still growing so I guess we will wait it out.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, if he's subject to drug testing DMAA in Jack3d can cause trouble.
^^^ This! Jack3d is a really good pre but at only 15, he should not be using it or any other pre. He is still going through changes with his hormones and other body chemistry. Throwing in something else that is meant to tweak or enhance performance is not a good idea at this time. Wait till his body has settled down before the use of any non-basic supplement and stick to a good multi-vitamin, protein, sleep and a good regimen of lifting. (I know, broken record! LOL!) I am happy to see that you are taking interest in your son's activities and are trying to find legitimate things to help him. I wish you and your son the best of luck.

footballmom

Awards
^^^ This! Jack3d is a really good pre but at only 15, he should not be using it or any other pre. He is still going through changes with his hormones and other body chemistry. Throwing in something else that is meant to tweak or enhance performance is not a good idea at this time. Wait till his body has settled down before the use of any non-basic supplement and stick to a good multi-vitamin, protein, sleep and a good regimen of lifting. (I know, broken record! LOL!) I am happy to see that you are taking interest in your son's activities and are trying to find legitimate things to help him. I wish you and your son the best of luck.
Thank you I appreciate the information.

UKNoko

UKNoko

Awards
He could use some additional digestive enzymes and bacteria if he hasn't got yoghurts in his diet and gets problems with GI when consuming 4k kcals. That's lots to process.

footballmom

Awards
He could use some additional digestive enzymes and bacteria if he hasn't got yoghurts in his diet and gets problems with GI when consuming 4k kcals. That's lots to process.
True but he really hasn't had any issues with that. He drinks a large amount of water daily but I will definitely look into your suggestion if it becomes an issue. Thank you

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
What are you referring to? "What the hell is going on these days"

He's 6'1 190 at 15, the kid clearly has superior genetics and should build on them before even touching a supplement. It truly irks me how many young kids put things in their bodies that they simply do not need. I was lucky enough to have a father that didn't allow me to use anything other than protein shakes and puberty.

footballmom

Awards
He's 6'1 190 at 15, the kid clearly has superior genetics and should build on them before even touching a supplement. It truly irks me how many young kids put things in their bodies that they simply do not need. I was lucky enough to have a father that didn't allow me to use anything other than protein shakes and puberty.
He is currently taking protein shakes and jack3d but after some information I have received on this thread he will no longer be using the jack3d. I just didn't know but it sounds like some of the supplements out there are just as harmful for a 15 year old as performance enhancement drugs are to adults. I will continue to let him use the protein shakes but nothing else until he is old enough to make his own decisions. I appreciate your input. Thank you

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Props to a cool mom looking out for whats best for her son! I was not allowed to play football when I was in high school :p! Best of luck to you both!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Does he do any Olympic lifts? I think adding them, atleast cleans or power cleans, can do wonders for an athletes sprint. Especially for the 40yd.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
For you, considering your 15. You need Calories to be your Number 1 Supp. Everything else is extra....Most kids your age aren't eating the way they should. Get a head-start on them and eat the right way. If your playing a sport or lifting often, eat extra meals and lots of protein. You want to consume the majority of your calories from whole food for developmental benefits. Start here first. Maybe creatine mono would be my only other suggestion

footballmom

Awards
Does he do any Olympic lifts? I think adding them, atleast cleans or power cleans, can do wonders for an athletes sprint. Especially for the 40yd.
Yes he does many power cleans. That is actually one of his favorites to do. I am not sure what an Olympic lift is.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seriously, using DMAA and hefty caffiene doses at 15. Forget football scholarship as he will be doing crack by 18. No need for stimulates at 15 unless just want a buzz. I had plenty of energy at his age. My 15 year old daughter is Olympic development program soccer, played varsity in 8th grade and played on a high school competitive team since 12 years old. These girls don't drink caffiene and do not eat sugar anywhere close to game time. Encouraging Jack3d at his age means he will start having to get artificially pumped up just to play football. Starting out on wrong foot mom.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
FYI for all the "Jack3d will test positive for amphetamines" people.

It will not show on a standard NIDA 5 drug test. It would be possible to test for it, but somebody would only test for it if you were already suspected of using that drug and they would sports, it is tested for because it can be used as a performance enhancer, but a standard drug test does not test for it.

diggyboo

diggyboo

Awards
I agree. If your gonna overload anything at 15 it should be protein!!

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
FYI for all the "Jack3d will test positive for amphetamines" people.

It will not show on a standard NIDA 5 drug test. It would be possible to test for it, but somebody would only test for it if you were already suspected of using that drug and they would sports, it is tested for because it can be used as a performance enhancer, but a standard drug test does not test for it.
Correct, and Jack3d WILL get you banned from NCAA football. I know a couple years ago a kid at Grand Valley State (A D2 NCAA school) lost his senior year of football because of the 1,3D in Jack3d. So if you are going to get tested for performance enhancers which OP's son would most likely have to deal with later on Jack3d and in fact ANY Pre-work that is more stim than caffeine should be avoided. My recommendation is if you are going to play sports just better to ALWAYS error on the side of caution.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
So at what age do you suggest him using supplements?
That is hard to say really. Basics like creatine, protein, fish oil, and etc is earlier than something like test boosters and etc. Just depends on him personally.

I'm probably/maybe alone here, but when I was younger I took creatine, protein, and a multi. I've never seen those a big deal for younger (15-17 year olds) who are training to take.

All of those things will be for naught if his diet, sleep, and training aren't on point.

Right now for him it's

60% Diet
20% Training
20% 15 year old test levels and age boost

That is a good way to look at it for him. Train hard, Eat hard but clean, and later on supplements can help with an edge. Then it's more of:

75% Diet
20% Training
5% Supplements

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm probably/maybe alone here, but when I was younger I took creatine, protein, and a multi. I've never seen those a big deal for younger (15-17 year olds) who are training to take.

All of those things will be for naught if his diet, sleep, and training aren't on point.

Right now for him it's

60% Diet
20% Training

That is a good way to look at it for him. Train hard, Eat hard but clean, and later on supplements can help with an edge. Then it's more of:

75% Diet
20% Training
5% Supplements
You aren't alone, that is pretty much what most of us have been saying. The reason being that those of us that started training in our teens and have been at it for a looong time, know that is what it takes.

BigRed904

Awards
I started around that age. My uncle suggested three things: ZMA for me to help me get better sleep since I was going from 6am to 10pm daily (school, practice, and homework), pure creatine with no filler, and whey protein. Go to nutraplanet, buy bulk monohydrate creatine, whey protein, and ZMA.

footballmom

Awards
What can anyone tell me about BSN Cell Mass? He has been on me about trying it and I told him I needed to do some research on it. Is it safe to use for a 15 year old?

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
What can anyone tell me about BSN Cell Mass? He has been on me about trying it and I told him I needed to do some research on it. Is it safe to use for a 15 year old?

Safe? Yes. Recommended? No

Its a designer creatine product.

footballmom

Awards
That is hard to say really. Basics like creatine, protein, fish oil, and etc is earlier than something like test boosters and etc. Just depends on him personally.

Right now for him it's

60% Diet
20% Training

75% Diet
20% Training
5% Supplements

Any suggestions on the type of diet he should be eating? He eats a lot of lean protein such as chicken, fish and turn. He also eats beef jerky, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, protein bars and protein shakes. Also, as much milk as I can get him to drink, he doesn't like it but he does drink it.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Any suggestions on the type of diet he should be eating? He eats a lot of lean protein such as chicken, fish and turn. He also eats beef jerky, peanut butter, nuts, seeds, protein bars and protein shakes. Also, as much milk as I can get him to drink, he doesn't like it but he does drink it.
This part ended it for me. Sports are for fun. Let the kid be a kid. Im out.