Apples - The Supplement?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pretty cool article I stumbled across. Had to share.

Apple polyphenols are crazy capable of doing a whole host of good for us that transcend the conventional and basic "antioxidant" wisdom.

To name a few (skip down to helath benefits):
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&d*****15

These lil buggars even have their own carbohydrate assistance that goes WAY beyond the fiber and fructose arguments!

Here's one snippet of the article......
Benefits for Blood Sugar Regulation

This area of research on apple benefits is relatively new, but it's already awakening the interest of an increasing number of food scientists. At many different levels, the polyphenols in apples are clearly capable of influencing our digestion and absorption of carbohydrates, and the overall impact of these changes is to improve regulation of our blood sugar. The impact of apple polyphenols on our carbohydrate processing includes:
  • Slowing down of carbohydrate digestion. Quercetin and other flavonoids found in apples act to inhibit carbohydrate-digesting enzymes like alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidase. When these enzymes are inhibited, carbohydrates are broken down less readily into simple sugars, and less load is placed on our bloodstream to accommodate more sugar.
  • Reduction of glucose absorption. Polyphenols in apples clearly lower the rate of glucose absorption from our digestive tract. Once again, this change lessens the sugar load on our bloodstream.
  • Stimulation of the pancreas to put out more insulin. Getting sugar out of our bloodstream often requires the help of insulin, a hormone produced by the beta cells of our pancreas. By telling the beta cells of our pancreas to produce more insulin, the polyphenols found in apple can help us clear more sugar from our blood and keep our blood sugar level in better balance.
  • Stimulation of insulin receptors to latch on to more insulin and increase the flow of sugar out of our bloodstream and into our cells. In order for sugar to leave our bloodstream and enter our cells (especially our muscle cells), insulin receptors on those cells must bind together with the insulin hormone and create cell changes that will allow sugar to pass through the cell membrane and into the cell. (Muscle cells, for example, continuously need this uptake of sugar from the bloodstream in order to function.) Polyphenols in apples help to activate the muscle cell insulin receptors, and in this way, they help facilitate passage of sugar from our bloodstream up into our cells. Once again, the result is better blood sugar regulation in our body.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And to think all these years I gave these up b/c I had a rigid stance against fructose. What a shame.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
I eat two apples every day before my workout!

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Lol makes me think of those dumb force factor ads where it says "scientists hate him"...

"Doctors hate him...what's his secret??...he eats 2 apples before every workout."

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You mean those dudes arent legit? :sad2:

lol

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22167331

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/7/1929.full.pdf

More......

Apple (Malus domestica) extract is an essential
ingredient in any weight loss plan as it contains two powerful compounds—
quercetin and phloridzin— which help protect against changes in blood sugar
levels and sugar (glucose) absorption. Quercetin, a bioflavonoid, is a powerful antioxidant. One of the many benefits of
quercetin is that it affects the glucose receptor sites and fixes on other sugar
receptors as well. That means that it reduces or delays the absorption of sugar
and carbohydrates, helping curb the appetite and reducing binge eating.

Like quercetin, phloridzin has similar effects on the glucose receptor sites,
but it also burns fat and controls blood sugar levels.

Phloridzin helps to release stored fatty acids from fat cells by as much as
44% more than just exercise alone. Phloridzin is considered a “trap molecule”
because it tricks the intestinal receptor that brings glucose (sugar) into
cells. Phloridzin’s affinity for this receptor is 1,000 times superior to
glucose, so phloridzin essentially gets in the way of glucose by fixing on the
glucose receptor site, and doesn’t allow any glucose to pass through into the
cells.

These lil buggars even have their own carbohydrate assistance that goes WAY beyond the fiber and fructose arguments!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Apples contain a lot of stuff (including UA)...doesn't necessarily make them any more beneficial than other fruits. There's a reason fruits and veggies are an integral part of diet, and it's not solely their micronutrient content.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed, but given the varying amounts of micronutrients/nutritional profile PER fruit/veggie; apples may not necessarily be "more beneficial" but can certainly be "more desireable"............nothing wrong with researching/selecting/eating individual fruits/veggies based solely upon their respective attributes/profiles.

If I am interested in increasing my daily fiber intake for example, logic dictates eating prunes verses watermelon for said purpose.

If I am interested in increasing my daily Phloridzin intake for example, logic dictates eating an apple verses an orange for said purpose.

Also, I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people on this board had no clue what Phloridzin even was (like me). Shining a light on such things and sharing educational insight for others to benefit from makes more sense than selfishly hogging the info for yourself ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IIRC, they were used in the RPN version of NOxidant. It was one of the differences between that version and the Scivation version.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loved Noxidant one of the RPN products I miss.