N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) Read before supplementing

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,446
    Rep Power
    771301
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    47.38%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by baldwanus View Post
    lulz.....you're kidding right? out of all the boards i post on, this has got to be one of the WORST as far as "broscientists" and stuff like that goes.....some of the arguments that STILL take place on here about ingredients like arginine and glutamine prove this point over and over. yes, there are some pretty smart guys on this board, but they are outnumbered by broscience followers
    Sorry... what did you say?

    I couldn't read past the stupid ass usage of the term lulz.
    The Historic PES Legend

  2. Professional Member
    Geoforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,891
    Rep Power
    1188974
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    41.5%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by baldwanus View Post
    i love how people always skip over your posts, when you make a solid point lulz.....you're kidding right? out of all the boards i post on, this has got to be one of the WORST as far as "broscientists" and stuff like that goes.....some of the arguments that STILL take place on here about ingredients like arginine and glutamine prove this point over and over. yes, there are some pretty smart guys on this board, but they are outnumbered by broscience followers
    True. And this board a lot of times calls out those who are pushing the science with "I don't care what the science says" type responses. At the same time some of the most popular supplements on these boards have little to no scientific backing behind them (maybe a mouse study or something).

    Broscience is sadly kind on the vast majority of health and fitness boards.
  3. Advanced Member
    rsnake21's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Age
    31
    Posts
    686
    Rep Power
    80467
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    43.76%

    I hope I don't sound ignorant but oh well. Broscience is what I go by. Majority of the "supplements" we take is not going to have real scientific studies to back it up. Scientific studies don't mean much to me anyway, I'm not a scientist so I don't understand half the crap their talking about. Plus people can make a study say what they want it to based on agenda so what good are they? I want real life people "bros" telling me what they experienced taking a product. How it affected them, what sides, if it worked. Broscience is the tried and true method, thats real life scientific studies boys.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    J19891's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    4884
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21 View Post
    I hope I don't sound ignorant but oh well. Broscience is what I go by. Majority of the "supplements" we take is not going to have real scientific studies to back it up. Scientific studies don't mean much to me anyway, I'm not a scientist so I don't understand half the crap their talking about. Plus people can make a study say what they want it to based on agenda so what good are they? I want real life people "bros" telling me what they experienced taking a product. How it affected them, what sides, if it worked. Broscience is the tried and true method, thats real life scientific studies boys.
    I think you're referring to anecdotal evidence as broscience. Anecdotal evidence is the bottom line. If there are 50 studies outlining how a substance has x effect, but 100% of people say it doesn't, it's worthless.

    Broscience, on the other hand, is where people attempt to use science or scientific terms to make a statement, good or bad, about a product or substance but aren't applying the scientific method correctly.

    If everyone on these boards told you that d-alpha supplement of the week had no research to back it up, but I told you that it took my bench press up 20 lbs, that's anecdotal evidence, not broscience.

    If I tell you that creatine works by bumping up your testoserone levels with ammonia, quarks and quantum muscle fiber enhancers, that's bro science.
  5. New Member
    D3Baseball's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    9703
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    95.06%

    The anecdotal stuff means little to me. Lots of people claiming to love things that did not produce a different result than could be explained by proper training/dieting. Not to mention a lot of people are straight up dishonest. I keep seeing bloods posted about a test booster from someone secretly on TRT -- wtf?
  6. Board Sponsor
    SwolenONE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,248
    Rep Power
    1113622
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    61.44%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    it is a rather safe supplement, William Llewellyn and I have been looking into it for quite some time.
  7. Elite Member
    BPjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,974
    Rep Power
    7107358
    Level
    90
    Lv. Percent
    96.35%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    *counts to 10* I will not post, I will not post, I will not post *counts to 10 again*
    Haha...I'm interested in your response.
    PES REPRESENTATIVE
    pescience.com
    http://pescience.com/insider
  8. Banned
    WARBIRDWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,134
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    49
    Lv. Percent
    90.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by J19891 View Post
    I think you're referring to anecdotal evidence as broscience. Anecdotal evidence is the bottom line. If there are 50 studies outlining how a substance has x effect, but 100% of people say it doesn't, it's worthless.

    Broscience, on the other hand, is where people attempt to use science or scientific terms to make a statement, good or bad, about a product or substance but aren't applying the scientific method correctly.

    If everyone on these boards told you that d-alpha supplement of the week had no research to back it up, but I told you that it took my bench press up 20 lbs, that's anecdotal evidence, not broscience.

    If I tell you that creatine works by bumping up your testoserone levels with ammonia, quarks and quantum muscle fiber enhancers, that's bro science.
    well then "broscience" is a word being misused in 90% of the cases on here if what you say is true.....these guys use "broscience" to bash any anecdotal evidence OR misuse of science, so people need to start using the word appropriately if what you posted is to be valid. and trust me, they will continue to use broscience as an answer every time you try to challenge their new super duper scientific study with your anecdotal evidence. I'm with rsnake, I'll take "broscience" aka anecdotal evidence every time.....well depending on if the person is trying to sell me something versus just giving me random advice
  9. New Member
    patrick35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    98
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    1.92%

    ok new to this forum but I've taken DAA for 30 days and now pretty close to completing first bottle of NMDA. So i read this thread and am still confused. is it safe, not safe, toxic, not toxic? am i just better off taking DAA ? I'll tell you where Im leaning after reading all this; back to DAA.
  10. Advanced Member
    todd muelheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    516289
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    This should be good. Something akin to a group of 9 year olds discussing the intricacies of quantum physics while hopped up on candy.
  11. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by patrick35 View Post
    ok new to this forum but I've taken DAA for 30 days and now pretty close to completing first bottle of NMDA. So i read this thread and am still confused. is it safe, not safe, toxic, not toxic? am i just better off taking DAA ? I'll tell you where Im leaning after reading all this; back to DAA.
    If you have tried both and one works better for you, I would go with that one
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  12. Professional Member
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,914
    Rep Power
    1018911
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    87.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Intimidate SRT has gotten rave reviews from day one and will continue to do so! NMDA + a potent AI = win!
  13. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    Intimidate SRT has gotten rave reviews from day one and will continue to do so! NMDA + a potent AI = win!
    How does that help him?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  14. Elite Member
    bioman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,704
    Rep Power
    513136
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    86.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by todd muelheim View Post
    This should be good. Something akin to a group of 9 year olds discussing the intricacies of quantum physics while hopped up on candy.
    Guffaw! Nearly did a spit take on the keyboard.

    I tend to side with Coop on this. You're not likely to achieve blood levels of DAA or NMDA that will be excitotoxic. Delving into anecdotal land, I think you'd crap yourself silly trying to mega dose DAA and if excitotoxic effects were happening, they would likely be evident with some sort of symptom...either physically expressed or a decline in mental function. DAA has been on the shelves for awhile now.

    I most certainly pay attention to the anecdotal since 99% of the supplements we use in this community are nowhere near what I would call "rigorously studied". We are simply too impatient to wait a lifetime until all the results are in..which is bad, but then the safety record of most supplements is pretty darn good.
  15. Professional Member
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,914
    Rep Power
    1018911
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    87.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    How does that help him?
    i wasn't responding to Patrick, which is why I didn't quote him. I was merely commenting on the effectiveness of NMDA, which is a large portion of what this thread is about.
  16. Advanced Member
    thescience's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    475005
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    16.14%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordinator View Post
    One of the key things I found most interesting was this:

    "
    When I first started researching NMDA, I was considering marketing it as a nutritional supplement. After delving in deeper however, a couple of things made me change my mind. First of all, I contacted the patent inventor to see if I could get some more information on NMDA. He regretfully told me that his later research failed to confirm his earlier findings, and that he had deemed the project not worthy of further pursuit. I also discovered that NMDA is potentially quite toxic and may destroy neurons in sensitive areas of the brain like the hippocampus and the basal ganglia. NMDA might also have the capacity to induce convulsions in susceptible individuals.
    "


    but the whole piece is worth reading. Let me know what you guys think!
    I hear people talk about monosodium glutamate as an excitoxin too, yet people eat a chinabuffets and are fine
  17. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,927
    Rep Power
    2534643
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    tl;dr

    I will co-sign whatever the man with a PhD in neuroscience and is currently active in the field, says about it
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  18. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    tl;dr

    I will co-sign whatever the man with a PhD in neuroscience and is currently active in the field, says about it
    That man is pissed that this thread got pushed back into existence and wants to burn it with fire!!!
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  19. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,246
    Rep Power
    10709852
    Level
    106
    Lv. Percent
    30.94%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    tl;dr

    I will co-sign whatever the man with a PhD in neuroscience and is currently active in the field, says about it
    lol, you took the words out of my mouth.

    Every time I see him post in a thread like this I have to click on it.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  20. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,927
    Rep Power
    2534643
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    That man is pissed that this thread got pushed back into existence and wants to burn it with fire!!!
    Side note: I ordered some ammonium dichromate which I will be setting on fire. Are the fumes gonna kill me and those around me?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  21. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    Side note: I ordered some ammonium dichromate which I will be setting on fire. Are the fumes gonna kill me and those around me?
    Fun! Nah, it's a carcinogen, so don't put it in a pipe, but it won't kill you if you're using it for pyrotechnics. Is this for a class or just for fun?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  22. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,927
    Rep Power
    2534643
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    93.07%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quality fun time with my kid
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  23. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Awesome dad!!!
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  24. Advanced Member
    xhrr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    620768
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    61.59%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnTrue View Post
    i wasn't responding to Patrick, which is why I didn't quote him. I was merely commenting on the effectiveness of NMDA, which is a large portion of what this thread is about.
    Not really, it was more so a discussion on possible toxicity from oral NMDA rather than the effectiveness but by all means plug away.
  25. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Sorry to bump, was there a definitive conclusion about NMDA? Is it safe to take orally?
  26. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,431
    Rep Power
    1147168
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshlm69 View Post
    Sorry to bump, was there a definitive conclusion about NMDA? Is it safe to take orally?
    i'm currently taking prime nutritions test boost, i prefer nmda over daa
  27. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i'm currently taking prime nutritions test boost, i prefer nmda over daa
    thanks bud. going to be running it in "Iron Forged King Pin" on oct 7th, excited
  28. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,431
    Rep Power
    1147168
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshlm69 View Post
    thanks bud. going to be running it in "Iron Forged King Pin" on oct 7th, excited
    when are you dosing, looks like a solid night time supplement, nmda is really good for sleep, with a small amount of agmatine before bed, should sleep like a baby
  29. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    ill be dosing 12pm, 5pm, 9pm id imagine, going to bed at 11pm, Im very sensitive to supps near bed time, i sleep awful so dont want to take it just before bed, but 2 hours before should be fien right?
  30. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,431
    Rep Power
    1147168
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshlm69 View Post
    ill be dosing 12pm, 5pm, 9pm id imagine, going to bed at 11pm, Im very sensitive to supps near bed time, i sleep awful so dont want to take it just before bed, but 2 hours before should be fien right?
    i know when i dealt with intimidate, people mentioned if they took nmda and didn't go straight to sleep that it sometimes affected their sleep

    with test boost i've been dosing at 5:30p.m., and at like 9 or 10pm i get really tired and have no problem falling asleep at 11pm
  31. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i know when i dealt with intimidate, people mentioned if they took nmda and didn't go straight to sleep that it sometimes affected their sleep

    with test boost i've been dosing at 5:30p.m., and at like 9 or 10pm i get really tired and have no problem falling asleep at 11pm
    right okay, may take my third dose as im climbing into bed.

    How come not earlier in the day? you want it to always be in your system so splitting up the doses so it spreads through the day is ideal
  32. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,431
    Rep Power
    1147168
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    51.01%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshlm69 View Post
    right okay, may take my third dose as im climbing into bed.

    How come not earlier in the day? you want it to always be in your system so splitting up the doses so it spreads through the day is ideal
    could probably be used that way....my only two experiences were intimidate which was 1 cap and test boost which is a small scoop of powder, i never dosed them in the morning for fear of getting groggy at work, i can't have that
  33. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    could probably be used that way....my only two experiences were intimidate which was 1 cap and test boost which is a small scoop of powder, i never dosed them in the morning for fear of getting groggy at work, i can't have that
    I have 2 scoops of alphamine upon waking, no grogginess is touching me! haha

    having said that I may switch my dose to 5.30pm,7pm & before bed, for pre/post/bed timing
  34. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,727
    Rep Power
    964903
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    45.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshlm69 View Post
    Sorry to bump, was there a definitive conclusion about NMDA? Is it safe to take orally?
    Speaking only to the safety (not efficacy), I have not seen a single study that makes me believe that oral NMDA, taken as directed, should be unsafe.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  35. Board Sponsor
    LG Sciences's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,946
    Rep Power
    84313
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    74.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I have read some things showing it could effect depression. Not sure if that is "safe" or not but something to consider.
  36. Senior Member
    Joshlm69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,022
    Rep Power
    486759
    Level
    43
    Lv. Percent
    30.75%
    Achievements Posting ProActivity Pro

    Guys,

    can anyone please tell me when the best time to supplement NMDA is in conjunction with getting better sleep, if my doses are 1 cap 3 times a day?

    I wake at 8am and go to bed at 11pm, thanks
    @VaughnTrue

    also, regarding toxicity, I supplement agmatine with NMDA, is that okay? I dont take creatine
  37. Professional Member
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,914
    Rep Power
    1018911
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    87.32%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    30mg, right before bed.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. D-Aspartic Acid, Arachidonic Acid and Inhibit-E
    By liftsalot in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 07:51 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in