Are cortisol-modulating supps inherently harmful? - AnabolicMinds.com

Are cortisol-modulating supps inherently harmful?

1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Are cortisol-modulating supps inherently harmful?

First off, let me say that over the years, I have come to appreciate and LOVE DS LeanXtreme (a potent cortisol mitigating substance) for it's fat loss and body recomp abilities.

My concern is this.....

I have been reading a lot of literature lately that repeatdly conveys inflammation (mainlt system varieties) as the root of just about all things destructive and pro-aging in the body. Whether it be a direct cause of pathology or the indirect side effect of a disease itself, it is almost always involved and discussed as a menace or THE menace to our health.

That said, we all know despite it's crappy sides and health risks of its own, cortisol has its place (un*****ed antiflammatory, joint health and adrenal health/energy to name a few although the latter can go both ways).

Well, with cortisol blocking/decreasing supps, you drive cortisol down, allowing for inflammation all over the body.

Thoughts?
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.

I think this would be a good question to ask The Matrix

Anyway how much do we know these OTC cortisol supps substantially cortisol, like to what levels etc

I use them when cutting, but have no measurable way to tell how effective they are
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    First off, let me say that over the years, I have come to appreciate and LOVE DS LeanXtreme (a potent cortisol mitigating substance) for it's fat loss and body recomp abilities.

My concern is this.....

I have been reading a lot of literature lately that repeatdly conveys inflammation (mainlt system varieties) as the root of just about all things destructive and pro-aging in the body. Whether it be a direct cause of pathology or the indirect side effect of a disease itself, it is almost always involved and discussed as a menace or THE menace to our health.

That said, we all know despite it's crappy sides and health risks of its own, cortisol has its place (un*****ed antiflammatory, joint health and adrenal health/energy to name a few although the latter can go both ways).

Well, with cortisol blocking/decreasing supps, you drive cortisol down, allowing for inflammation all over the body.

Thoughts?
    I do understand your concern and you should always be cautious of anything you put in your body: food, supplement, or drug. It's a smart person that questions instead of just blindly following. That said, I personally do not support this whole idea that inflammation is the core issue of all diseases. I find very little on this in peer reviewed journals and most of it on new age/holistic medicine web pages who just happen to be selling a product to help with this evil inflammation.

Cortisol does serve a purpose and the aim is not to get rid of it forever, but simply to modulate it for finite periods of time. If you could point me to the articles or pages, I might be able to answer better. I do know that from personal experience and having dealt with GI issues such as IBS, which is supposedly caused by inflammation, pretty much my entire life, that these past couple of years have been better than most while using Erase a lot and now Erase Pro. I'm not saying that Erase has itself made it better, but if lowering cortisol caused issues, then my GI problems should have gotten worse.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Sup alex

I will reply with simply asking....name one condition where inflammation is a good thing?

Many of these supps' MOA nowadays either directly or indirectly target the suppression of inflammatory processes in the body that come from either the disease or from the symptoms of the disease itself.

To name just a few of the popular ones: Curcumin/Tumeric, Boswellia, Quercetin, Ginger, Cinnamon, Garlic (the list is ginormous).

Inflammatory conditions are just as INFINITE (think of ANY disease that has the suffix "itis" in it): Too many to list....To name a few Osteo or Rheumatoid Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis, Chron's Disease, Gum Disease, Heart Disease (CRP tests evaluate inflammatory status here), Liver disease, Kidney Disease, Prostatitis, Sinusitis, Gastritis, Dermatitis, Colitis.....you get the point.

Inflammation has even been linked to cancer. Think of all the studies of healthy anti-inflammatory oils that have come out of the woods works these days too (olive oil, nuts oil, flax oil, EFA's) - all of which inhibit pro-inflammatory reactions.

At the risk of contradicitng my original post question: Inflammation in the body is about as good for you as sugar. Similarly, there is a time and a place for sugar (glucose) needs by the body just like inflammation....but these times are far and few between the deleterious impact of BOTH on a chronic or regular basis.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Sup alex

I will reply with simply asking....name one condition where inflammation is a good thing?
    I would say during the bodies natural response to an irritant. It's not necessarily a healthy condition to be in, but it is how our bodies heal themselves and is very much needed. Inflammation is a broad term though and has been redefined by a lot of people. It is when we have inflammations disorders that it becomes a very bad thing. I'm not saying that you are wrong at all. It just has been my experience that there is a lot of literature out there that seems to think that if we take this or that out of our diet, then inflammation stops and it is the answer to all diseases.

That is all inflammation talk though. Making the jump from cortisol to anti-inflammation is not that black and white since cortisol is just one piece of the puzzle. And cortisol is not always evil either. Cortisol is used to treats problems as well and injections help people quite a bit.

Like everything else it is going to depend on the person and what their issues and conditions are.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  6. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

I completely concur and would love some input from the guru's around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    That is all inflammation talk though. Making the jump from cortisol to anti-inflammation is not that black and white since cortisol is just one piece of the puzzle.
  7. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Most cortisol reducers are effective at diminishing cortisol SPIKES and keeping levels at baseline...this is what you want. Also, the half lives of ones like 7b-oh are very short, so i can take the product containing it at times when your cortisol is high to bring it to baseline.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  8. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster
    Most cortisol reducers are effective at diminishing cortisol SPIKES and keeping levels at baseline...this is what you want. Also, the half lives of ones like 7b-oh are very short, so i can take the product containing it at times when your cortisol is high to bring it to baseline.
    Fasted Post workout in the AM?
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  9. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    This hits the nail on the head. Cortisol-reducing supplements do not crush cortisol. Hell, even topical 7keto only reduced cortisol by 10% ish overall, but as natty said, the spikes were controlled (morning, 4 hours later, etc). Further, cortisol is not the sole mediator of inflammation. 3g combined epa/dha daily with orange triad/cissus helps a bit.
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Good stuff.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cortisol Modulating
    By MAxximal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 06:29 PM
  2. supps for lowering cortisol
    By thewolf49 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-05-2009, 01:42 PM
  3. Replies: 191