Best pre-workout food/drink for early riser.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I wake up at 5:00 AM and am at the gym by 5:30 AM

Can anyone suggest what I should eat or drink when I get up? I am very sugar and stimulant sensitive, nor at that time of the morning do I need to be jazzed up. I typically wake up with a spring in my step, shall we say.

So best choice for strength/size days?
best choice for cardio days?

Thanks in advance.

GHO5T

Awards
why not just train fasted? i think this is a great option if you dont get hypoglycemic through your workout. Sounds like you have enough energy when you first wake and are ready to go.

If you feel you need something light on your something right before you workout I sometimes eat a rice cake or have a protein shake.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
why not just train fasted? i think this is a great option if you dont get hypoglycemic through your workout. Sounds like you have enough energy when you first wake and are ready to go.

If you feel you need something light on your something right before you workout I sometimes eat a rice cake or have a protein shake.
I usually do train fasted. Then I hear how awful an idea it is. That is my conundrum. I just want to do whatever is best to make gains in lean mass. If training fasted is not inhibiting my goal, I am good with it.

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Just plain old black coffee no sugar or anything it's always good to tap into to does fat reserve you have ( if you have any) and benefit from the after burn the rest of the day

rsnake21

rsnake21

Awards
  • Established
I don't see a problem with training fasted as long as you have the energy for it and don't feel like sh*t afterwards.

Jordinator

Awards
  • Established
I usually do train fasted. Then I hear how awful an idea it is. That is my conundrum. I just want to do whatever is best to make gains in lean mass. If training fasted is not inhibiting my goal, I am good with it.
I train in the mornings fasted usually as well. I take a 64oz jug of water along with 15g BCAA/3.2g Beta Alanine/3g Creatine. Start the sippin in the car ride to the gym!

GHO5T

Awards
IMO i think whether you are bulking or cutting training fasted (either first thing in the morning or 2.5 hours after last meal) is the way to go. I am sure the claims you have heard is not have nutrients in your body and it being detrimental blah blah blah.

When I am hitting my macros on a day to day basis, and my diet is in check, I never really feel the need to eat something before training in the morning. I will just take my pre workout regimen... then as soon as I get done training I have one of my largest meals of the day. I would try trying fasted and see how you do... many people seem to enjoy it

Strygwyr

Strygwyr

Awards
Well at first probably feel like **** but when you get used to it it's nothing different from working out say late afternoon, minus the backstreetboys that stays on one machine taking turns for 30 min. Ofcourse

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Well at first probably feel like **** but when you get used to it it's nothing different from working out say late afternoon, minus the backstreetboys that stays on one machine taking turns for 30 min. Ofcourse
That, my friend, is one of the main reasons I work out in the early AM. Those D-bags are still in bed trying to figure out what color wife beater goes best with their oversized pants and Yankees cap.

pnut143

pnut143

Awards
I train in the mornings fasted usually as well. I take a 64oz jug of water along with 15g BCAA/3.2g Beta Alanine/3g Creatine. Start the sippin in the car ride to the gym!
I def second the BCAAs, fasted cardio plus BCAA will give great results, throw in some alpha yohimbine and stubborn fat won't have a chance

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I def second the BCAAs, fasted cardio plus BCAA will give great results, throw in some alpha yohimbine and stubborn fat won't have a chance
I'm much more concerned with gaining mass and more worried about losing it. Losing fat is easy. Gaining muscle at 49 years old is not so easy.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
awful idea? shows how un educated people can be

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally think training fasted is a awful idea but if it works for you then great. I've tried it and felt like complete sh!t the whole time.

I train in the AM this how my morning looks. (not going to get into much detail about supps but if you'd like to see what supps I take let me know).

Wake up, drink 10g BCAAs (8:1:1) with 32oz water 300mg Na r ala.

20 mins later I eat 2 cups rice and I have a Greek yogurt and protein shake or just mix the Greek yogurt and protein together. This is about 90g carbs and 46g protein. I work out approx 1-2 hours after eating this. It's a plain / light meal and doesn't mess with my stomach.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
im the complete opposite, i can only train fasted...

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
r-ala with waxy maize will get you some quick carbs. I've grown to love waxy maize!

Mike