Nutrition and Wellness Stores

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
Just curious have any of you ever wanted to open up your own health, supplement and wellness store? I am currently looking into an opportunity to partner in one. Right now I am just checking into what information I need to get my hands on to make an informed decision. Lucky for me a friend of mind is a graduate business professor at Texas A&M. If you could design the perfect store what would you do to set your store apart from all the rest?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how store fronts stay in business with the ability to buy cheaper and with convenience online. I think it's a risky, low profit idea. Good to take initiative, but not sure if that would be the best idea.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Years ago this was a great idea, G-N-C was the top franchise (or one of them).....but with the advent of super low price wholesale internet supps, there is a big chunk of the market (cheap BB people like on here :D) that are not going to your store. I suppose if you offered cheap enough prices (vitamin shoppe is making this effort now) then you could get the ease of convenience factor on your side. no shipping charge either. You would have to match the online prices though, or depend on local traffic which probably wouldn't be adequate

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you would have to match online prices, but you would need to be priced at a point that would make it worthwhile to go grab it now instead of waiting 3-4 days. That price is going to eat at your profit and may not be worth it. I know there are times I want something now and if I see the price difference, I'll usually hold out. It's not a matter of being cheap, it's a matter of being smart.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
The placement of the store has the biggest effect, notice all the corporate owned G-N-C's are in major malls? The foot traffic alone will bring in people who will impulse buy, or who see something they wanted and figure F it I'll just buy it here even though it costs more. Surprisingly enough some people still don't know things like supps are cheaper on the net, so they only know to buy at the nutrition store. But to be seriously competitive and to make money? you gotta be priced right, a slight percentage more than online will do it....but you need to be close to that online price on the name brand stuff and give a nice discount on your house products if you have a line. This way you can get people like me who doesn't mind paying a few bucks more to have it right now. 9 times out of 10 I order online of course, but time to time if its something I really need I just go to the store and buy it. Just did it twice in the last 4 months with DAA and hawthorn.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
The store I'm looking into buys direct from the manufacture which is different from *** and some of the others. The average store is pulling in $80,000 to $100,000 per month. Not all of the brands are offered online and some are a much higher quality others the same. I do agree that pricing would need to be competitive to online stores once you factor in shipping costs on to the online price. I also think location would be an extremely important factor.

But would you want in a store that you don't get now?

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
The store I'm looking into buys direct from the manufacture which is different from *** and some of the others. The average store is pulling in $80,000 to $100,000 per month. Not all of the brands are offered online and some are a much higher quality others the same. I do agree that pricing would need to be competitive to online stores once you factor in shipping costs on to the online price. I also think location would be an extremely important factor.

But would you want in a store that you don't get now?
yeah like I was alluding to earlier, location location location is key :D..........I'd want all the PH's/desingers and cutting edge stuff, also bulk stuff like you get at NP, gray area stuff of course...people like stims, not me personally anymore...basically all the stuff the big name stores shy away from.....most of the stores nowadays have all the other stuff from what I see.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Try to set up next to a gym, or as close as you can. And make sure you know your stuff...that's really what people are paying for in a brick and mortar. They are likely aware that its cheaper online, but they're willing to pay for your advice instead of researching it themselves. Samples never killed anyone either.

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
there's actually a location for lease right next to a gold's gym and I completely agree about being knowledge

also the PHs are a good idea

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
One problem is that despite your knowledge, most of the meathead types and younger guys expect you to look like an IFBB pro BB'er in order for them to think what you said was legit. Add to that, most people are thick-headed and think that a magic fat loss or PH pill will solve all their problems and they can still eat whatever they want and workout half-ass and lose fat and/or gain muscle. In other words there are all types of stupid people around and you will meet all of the various types. All in all though, if you know your shyt they will listen and respect you.....as to people actually following your advice? they usually don't. I used to get a lot of gay guys ask me what I did so they could look like me hahahaha....they like the more leaner muscular physique rather than what most straight guys want, the big huge powerlifter or roided out look :D

uknowme62

Awards
It may be discrimination, but as warbird said hire fit people. I hate walking in to vitamin shoppe and some skinny guy try to sell " the best bb supplement". 16-25 yo males will be your prime market so having a hottie work for u wouldn't hurt either.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Past two.posts are true. It's a lot easier to sell/convice people to buy something at 185lbs than it was at 145lbs. And that's from personal experience. Still give the speel about it being 80% diet, though most won't take that to heart. Though sometimes they still buy. Placebo is powerful.

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Though of starting an at home Bodybuilding Meal Company...cooking and shipping meals to people locally!

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't do it with a clear conscience. Look at G N C . I'd say 90% of the stuff on their shelves is snake oil, plain and simple. I couldn't lie to people and tell them that these products are going to give them their desired results.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I couldn't do it with a clear conscience. Look at G N C . I'd say 90% of the stuff on their shelves is snake oil, plain and simple. I couldn't lie to people and tell them that these products are going to give them their desired results.
you don't HAVE to do that....you can sell what you actually believe in, if the person wants a fat burner? point out the fat burner you use, or a close facsimile of it that your store carries. they want a protein powder? easy, for sure you use one of the protein powders in the place. You don't have to sell something you don't believe in, and if its your own store? you should be stocking it with good shyt, not G N C mandated products. Now that being said? yeah if you want your "commission" (which is minimal at most places) while working for a larger outlet, you have to sell the house product. but we are talking more of a mom and pop nutrition store idea here. OH, and as far as women customers? your boyish good looks will get you so far, but they like for you to have conversations with them and stimulate them that way....men are totally different, 100% they will go for the hot young girl behind the counter no conversation necessary LMFAO.......

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
you don't HAVE to do that....you can sell what you actually believe in, if the person wants a fat burner? point out the fat burner you use, or a close facsimile of it that your store carries. they want a protein powder? easy, for sure you use one of the protein powders in the place. You don't have to sell something you don't believe in, and if its your own store? you should be stocking it with good shyt, not G N C mandated products. Now that being said? yeah if you want your "commission" (which is minimal at most places) while working for a larger outlet, you have to sell the house product. but we are talking more of a mom and pop nutrition store idea here. OH, and as far as women customers? your boyish good looks will get you so far, but they like for you to have conversations with them and stimulate them that way....men are totally different, 100% they will go for the hot young girl behind the counter no conversation necessary LMFAO.......
I understand your point. But if I were to put up a shop of stuff that actually worked, and that I believed it, it would have one shelf no longer than 4 feet long.

It's not just the G N C house brand stuff, it's pretty much the major majority of everything out there that is doing nothing but giving the placebo effect and emptying people's wallets. Rant over. Sorry for the threadjacking.

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
I understand your point. But if I were to put up a shop of stuff that actually worked, and that I believed it, it would have one shelf no longer than 4 feet long.

It's not just the G N C house brand stuff, it's pretty much the major majority of everything out there that is doing nothing but giving the placebo effect and emptying people's wallets. Rant over. Sorry for the threadjacking.

that is a bit of an exaggeration.....you have to account for different flavors and different companies and different varieties of protein or MRP or vitamins/minerals etc etc......the legit stuff will amount to much more than a small shelf. the hardcore PH's and thermogenics etc will only amount to a limited amount of space, but there are plenty of legit brands out there to fill a store with. basic things like protein and MRP's and vite/mins/general health supps are legit things that the everyday joe wants and its not something that is a scam.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
that is a bit of an exaggeration.....you have to account for different flavors and different companies and different varieties of protein or MRP or vitamins/minerals etc etc......the legit stuff will amount to much more than a small shelf. the hardcore PH's and thermogenics etc will only amount to a limited amount of space, but there are plenty of legit brands out there to fill a store with. basic things like protein and MRP's and vite/mins/general health supps are legit things that the everyday joe wants and its not something that is a scam.
Yeah, you may be right. You could fill half a store with decent protein alone. I just get irked at all the stuff that offers freakish gargantuan never before seen gains. Mega-Monster-Humongolistic-Anabolic-Tribulus -Jack3D-Super Duty-Iso-Explode-NO now in bubble gum flavor. :)

WARBIRDWS6

WARBIRDWS6

Banned
Awards
Yeah, you may be right. You could fill half a store with decent protein alone. I just get irked at all the stuff that offers freakish gargantuan never before seen gains. Mega-Monster-Humongolistic-Anabolic-Tribulus -Jack3D-Super Duty-Iso-Explode-NO now in bubble gum flavor. :)
totally understand, you have to wade through all that bullshyt at the majority of the stores....some of the more mom and pop type stores streamline it, but 95% of the stores are like you describe. I've known a few friends who opened their own smaller shops and they sold mostly hardcore/legit stuff. As a salesperson in the store, you just have to know your stuff and know what ingredients work and what companies are legit and offer fair prices....then recommend the stuff that meet your requirements for something you would take yourself.