An In-Depth Look at Every iForce Protean Flavor

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
**An In-Depth Look at Every iForce Protean Flavor**

First off, I would like to thank pretty much the entire iForce team, but most specifically VaughnTrue, GHO5T, and baldwanus, for allowing me to sample Protean flavors. They provided several of each sample which was advantageous because it allowed me to try to the Protean in a variety of scenarios.

Before delving into the individual flavors, I will note the factors besides flavor that were constant across the board.

Profile: The profile is awesome as far as I'm concerned. The protein blend lists Whey Protein Concentrate as the first ingredient, and judging from the texture, it is evident that whey is the majority of the blend. This is a great thing. Whey protein concentrate is, in my opinion, the best supplemental protein source we have at our disposal as long as it is processed correctly and of high-grade. WPC comes with a host of overall health benefits and I'm delighted that Protean turned to WPC first; as we all know, protein digestion/absorption rates play a minimal to non-existent role in body composition, so excessive amounts of casein and other sources really aren't necessary to make me happy :). As far as the carb content, it is at just the right level; fats are perfect too, especially considering that almost the entirety of the blend is from medium chain triglycerides, which can serve as a more direct fuel source and can be a valuable addition to an athlete's diet.

9.5/10

Smell: Worth commenting on in this instance, because the smell is simply fantastic. Smell actually plays a vital role in the enjoyment of food and adds significantly to the sensory experience of "tasting" something. Now I won't go commenting on each individual flavors' smell, but they were all very strong, to the point that my empty envelope which contained the samples still smelled great days after using the samples.

9.5/10

Mixability: This was a big one. I used my protean in a variety of different ways. As a shake, the mixability was incredible. Very rapid with no clumps. In proatmeal, it took a little longer to mix into the oatmeal, but my biggest pet peeve in proatmeal is protein that clumps: protean did not, but rather spread evenly into the oatmeal.

9/10

Now, on to the flavors...

Vanilla Cupcake Batter

Here's what it's supposed to taste like:

Here's what it actually tasted like:

I'm a big fan of authentic vanilla flavoring, but besides a select-few proteins on the market, I have had a VERY tough time finding a truly great vanilla. Unfortunately, the search continued after trying the Vanilla Cupcake Batter. Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed this flavor quite a bit actually. It just didn't have a true vanilla feel to it. If I were to describe it, it tasted a lot like a mildly butterscotch-esque, vanilla cream. It hit just the right level of sweetness, and it essentially reminded me of a creamier version of the old Gaspari Myofusion Hydro Vanilla. As a shake, this protein was definitely enjoyable and the "batter" was quite evident. As part of proatmeal, it was too mild for my taste and the creaminess got lost in the volume of the oatmeal. Adding cinnamon to either the shake or the proatmeal improved the flavor quite significantly, which leads me to believe that this is an excellent flavor to buy if you are the kind of person that mixes their shakes with yogurt, PB, bananas, etc. If you are drinking the shakes plain or using proatmeal, look onward to the upcoming reviews.

In a shake: 8.5/10

In proatmeal: 8/10

In comparison to other vanilla flavors:

XF Ultra Peptide French Vanilla > Trutein Vanilla > iForce Protean Vanilla Cupcake Batter > Every Other Vanilla Protein

Chocolate Truffle

iForce NAILED this flavor in my opinion. It is unlike any chocolate I have ever had before, and it really does live up to the truffle name. The image above describes it almost perfectly; one of those powdered, rich chocolate truffles. Rather than having a distinctly milk chocolate taste or a distinctly dark chocolate taste, iForce managed to create a flavor somewhere in between. It doesn't sacrifice sweetness for richness, or vice versa, and it was simply fantastic. As a shake, it was great, one of the best chocolate protein shakes I've ever had. In proatmeal, it was even better, making the oatmeal a lot more indulgent, and with added peanut butter, it pretty much tasted like a cheat meal. But here's the kicker: I took a huge mug, added milk, warmed it up in the microwave, added chocoloate protein, warmed it even more, and drank. It tasted EXACTLY like hot cocoa, with a strong emphasis on the word "exactly." As in, I gave it to my housemate because he was wondering why I was emptying a baggie into a mug, and I told him I had brought some hot cocoa mix from a hotel I was staying at, just to see where this would go. Sure enough, he tried it and was blown away by WHAT HE THOUGHT WAS THE BEST HOT COCOA MIX HE'S EVER HAD. The fact that this is actually a protein product blows my mind.

In a shake: 9.5
/10

In proatmeal: 9.75/10

In warm milk: 10/10

In comparison to other chocolate flavors:

XF Ultra Peptide Triple Chocolate> iForce Protean>Vasolate Chocolate > Trutein Chocolate > Myofusion Chocolate > All other chocolates

Strawberry Creamsicle

Let me start this one by saying that strawberry protein powders almost always suck. It's just a fact. A 5lb tub of ON Delicious Strawberry scarred me to the point that I never wanted to try another strawberry protein again. However, after taking a 2 year break, I finally caved and had one...and then other...and here we are. Strawberry Creamsicle is a pretty interesting flavor. I enjoyed consuming it, but I do have suggestions for improvement as well. There are two kinds of strawberry proteins out there: those that go straight strawberry, and seek only to produce a fruit flavor, and those that add the cream aspect and make it more of a gourmet flavor. On the one extreme, there is Ultra Peptide Strawberry, which is creamy as hell, while on the other extreme, there is ON/Syntrax, with pure fruit flavoring. iForce's strawberry falls pretty much directly in between both extremes. There is a noteworthy fruity/sweet flavor to it, but there is also a hint of cream. It doesn't taste like authentic strawberries, but rather like a strawberry milkshake that you get from a local store....like the milkshake, except less creamy. In a shake, it tasted exactly like that....a strawberry milkshake without the added creaminess (picture a fat-free strawberry milkshake). In proatmeal, I did not really enjoy it. Certain flavors just don't mix well with oatmeal, and fruity flavors are one of them. My one suggestion is simple: add more to the "creamsicle" part of the flavor, and leave the strawberry exactly as it is.

In a shake: 8
/10

In proatmeal: 6.5/10

In comparison to other strawberry flavors:

XF Ultra Peptide Strawberry> iForce Protean>Vasolate Strawberry > Myofusion Strawberry > All other strawberries > Dirt > ON Delicious Strawberry

Red Velvet Cake

For those unaware, this picture comparison should convey to you that the protein tasted exactly as advertised. What does that mean? Oh nothing...just that this is in the top 3 proteins I've ever had (I've had more protein than I care to count). This stuff was UNBELIEVABLE. I could not believe that a protein powder could taste like powdered red velvet cake. There's really nothing to describe if you know what a red velvet cake tastes like: I could taste the "baked portion," I could taste the icing, and most powerful of all, I could taste the actual red part of the cake. With a shake, I savored it as I didn't want the experience to end, and when it was over, I was so blown away that I felt compelled to contact Vaughn immediately. But as part of proatmeal....my lord. I wrote above that certain flavors just go well with oatmeal...this is DEFINITELY one of them. Adding red velvet cake powder to oatmeal basically created, well, a healthy red velvet cake. It was VERY rich, very creamy, and the flavor was very "strong" in a positive sense. Just the right level of sweetness, and enough to make me an instant customer when this protein becomes available for purchase.

In a shake: 10
/10

In proatmeal: 10/10

I can't compare this to other flavors because it is the first of its kind.

Vanilla Mint Swirl

This is innovation at its finest. People have done chocolate mint before, but never has a vanilla mint been released. This flavor, like red velvet cake, was just on a completely different level. There are proteins that you cough down, there are those that are palatable, there are those that you enjoy drinking, there are those that you savor till the last drop, and then there are proteins, like red velvet cake and vanilla mint swirl, that have you convinced that you'll never need to cheat on your diet again because this protein can outdo some of its cheat meal counterparts. This flavor was out of this world. I initially had it as a shake, and it was, simply put, the single best protein shake I have had in my life. Yes, it outdid the XF Ultra Peptide 2.0s and Vasolates of the world. From the moment it hits your lips, you can feel the cool mintiness, a lot stronger of a mint than what you find in most chocolate mint flavors. And then comes the vanilla, which for some reason, tasted MUCH better than the vanilla cupcake better. This actually had an authentic vanilla bean-esque feel to it, and coupled with the creamy mintiness, it created a recipe for pure bliss. As part of proatmeal, it tasted mild initially, but with just a little bit of added sweetener, it became a rich and indulgent meal for the ages. Like Red Velvet Cake, I will be buying this protein as soon as it is made available.

In a shake: 10
/10

In proatmeal (with sweetener): 10/10

I can't compare this to other flavors because it is the first of its kind.

So there you have it. If I were to rank the Protean flavors...

As shakes:

1. Vanilla Mint Swirl
2. Red Velvet Cake
3. Chocolate Truffle
4. Vanilla Cupcake Batter
5. Strawberry Creamsicle

In proatmeal:

1. Red Velvet Cake
2. Vanilla Mint Swirl
3. Chocolate Truffle
4. Vanilla Cupcake Batter
5. Strawberry Creamsicle

Now, prior to this review, here are my ALL-TIME protein flavor rankings (aggregate from shake + proatmeal consumption):

1. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Cinnamon Roll
2. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Lemon Creme Pie
3. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Banana Cream
4. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Triple Chocolate
5. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Strawberry
6. Thermolife Vasolate Chocolate
7. TNS Trutein Banana Cream
8. TNS Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
9. Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic Cinnamon Roll
10. TNS Trutein Cinnabun

AFTER having tried all the protean flavors:

1. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Cinnamon Roll
2 and 3. iForce Protean Red Velvet Cake and Vanilla Mint Swirl (I can't decide right now)
4. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Lemon Creme Pie
5. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Banana Cream
6. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Triple Chocolate
7. iForce Protean Chocolate Truffle
8. XF Ultra Peptide 2.0 Strawberry
9. Thermolife Vasolate Chocolate
10. TNS Trutein Banana Cream

So there you have it. The upcoming flavors of Protean are the best protein flavors I've ever had with the exception of 1 protein. The fact that Protean could displace flavors with more fat (and hence, rich/creaminess) per serving is very impressive, and I seriously hope iForce continues this trend of delivering on unique, delicious flavors. Thanks again to the iForce team for hooking it up and I hope the rest of you purchase a tub of Protean and get to enjoy the bliss that I have had the privilege of experiencing :D.

EArch

Awards
  • Established
Nice review Mr. Cooper, next time I need some protein I will look to give this a try.

Pics you posted made me hungry

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
wow just wow! What an incredible review. We all appreciate it like crazy.

I have to try the RVC in oats ASAP!

And btw, giving us 3 spots on your top 10 list is no small feat...thank you very much for the honesty and in depth review.

GHO5T

Awards
sickest review ever! I only do proatmeal also.... i do think ive had a shake in 5 months. i cant wait for RVC and Mint Swirl to finally hit the shelves. thanks again for the review Coop

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Outstanding reviews. If you are not a professional food critic, you should be. Seriously.
The Red Velvet Cake will be my next jug of protein for sure. The vanilla mint sounds interesting, but I've never been able to drink anything minty. I can eat junior mints or peppermint patties. I chew mint gum, I use mint mouthwash, but for the life of me drinking something minty gives me the willies. I have a vague recollection of hurling up a shamrock shake when I was 7 or 8 years old though....

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Really looking forward to getting some Protean this week. I also can't wait for Red Velvet. I hardly ever eat sweets but RV Cake is one of the few things that legitimately tempts me every time I see it anywhere... :D

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Most detailed rediculous protein review I have ever read. You should review food for a living coop....I'm actually hungry now. Also must buy red velvet protein.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Wow great review! I am definatly going to get the vanilla mint. When does it come out?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nutra should be stocked in April :)

D3Baseball

Awards
review section ------------------------------------------->

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow man.. sick review. Glad you liked it so much! I am really looking forward to getting my hands on all the new flavors!

Mike

zb126

Awards
  • Established
Just tried the VCB... Wow is it good!

Note I just need to try the red velvet and vanilla mint! Release them soon VT?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
they should be available in April...or someone is going to kill me haha.

Put up some reviews!!! :D

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great review. These proteins have too many carbs for me though. I might try them if the come out with a smaller cheaper tub just on my carb ups. Only 20 grams of protein per scoop?. Just seems expensive. Sure it might taste great but I'm not sold.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great review. These proteins have too many carbs for me though. I might try them if the come out with a smaller cheaper tub just on my carb ups. Only 20 grams of protein per scoop?. Just seems expensive. Sure it might taste great but I'm not sold.
2 pound tubs are in the process nutra should have soon

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
Can't wait to make some CRAZY recipes with all these beautiful flavors ;)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Bump for those interested. I believe the flavors are for sale now?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw them on presale elsewhere...shipping early April...? shipping now?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the 3 flavors - chocolate truffle, vanilla cupcake batter, and strawberry creamsicle are all available through NutraPlanet.com.

The red velvet cake + vanilla mint swirl will be shipping to retailers this month.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the 3 flavors - chocolate truffle, vanilla cupcake batter, and strawberry creamsicle are all available through NutraPlanet.com.

The red velvet cake + vanilla mint swirl will be shipping to retailers this month.
I can't wait to try the Vanilla Mint and RVC... Sounds Epic

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Does anybody mix their protean with oatmeal and peanut butter? Does it mix well, resulting in a thick creamy consistency? I keep buying on gold standard and dymatize elite gourmet because they are the only ones that mix into a nice thick protein sludge.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does anybody mix their protean with oatmeal and peanut butter? Does it mix well, resulting in a thick creamy consistency? I keep buying on gold standard and dymatize elite gourmet because they are the only ones that mix into a nice thick protein sludge.
ive done it with each flavor now. They all mix up great/make nice consistency.

I prefer the chocolate the most in oats.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
Cool. Most of them leave a sandy consistency, makes it hard to get down no matter how much water or milk is added.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
I still have yet to try RVC or VMS... I'm sure I will finish the tub within a week :p

1nstinct

Awards
Thank you for doing this review, I was hedging on which flavor to get and this helped immensely. I'm waiting for the Vanilla Mint, but I will be buying the VCB as well.

Also:

A 5lb tub of ON Delicious Strawberry scarred me to the point that I never wanted to try another strawberry protein again.
LOL. I agree with this sfm. I only bought a 2lber, after the first sip, I rushed back to the store to return it. I felt like my mouth got violated. :laughing:

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
I really want to try the red velvet cake!!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Just placed an order for the chocolate. I need a hard deadline for the VMS and RVC though :D

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just placed an order for the chocolate. I need a hard deadline for the VMS and RVC though :D
believe me, I'm trying.

I usually don't let work issues get to me, however I have had SERIOUS blood pressure issues on the RVC/VMS release date.

Everything that they can do to **** us over, they've done.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
believe me, I'm trying.

I usually don't let work issues get to me, however I have had SERIOUS blood pressure issues on the RVC/VMS release date.

Everything that they can do to **** us over, they've done.
Heart help?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loving the Cupcake flavor right now. Honestly gave up protein powders for the most part, but I can't help but have several shakes a week (may not seem like a lot to most ppl on here, but honestly until this hadn't been drinking shakes other than post workout for about six months :eek: ).

Even got my sister and mother (both extremely picky) to use it as their protein powder of choice and got several co-workers and clients using it as well :)

PS I always have a Red Velvet Cake for my bday (end of April) as the only cake I eat all year (honestly don't like sweets other than RVC :p ), so I pray this is out by then bc I might drink the whole two pound tub on my birthday if it is :eek:

MegaHurtz

Awards
Great review, The Vanilla and Chocolate Protean were very good if the RVC comes even close to 2.0 I'll be very impressed.

GHO5T

Awards
Great review, The Vanilla and Chocolate Protean were very good if the RVC comes even close to 2.0 I'll be very impressed.
The RVC is going to blow your mind. Less than weeks away until the RVC and Vanilla Mint start to ship. Stock up fast bc with all the pre orders I expect many places to be out quickly.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Awesome review Coop.

Can't w8 2 try RVC!

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^^^ win.

Can't wait to disclose 2 new ones :)

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Always enjoying the good writing skills , and awesome comparisons you make in your reviews Cy. And now , 2 new tastes huh? I should be getting my RVC soon...after that one is done...I'll buy more tubs of it and maybe 1 of each new flavor :D!! You guys are becoming one of my fave. brands with your products haha!