low carb diet and lethargy

amarula

Awards
Hello everyone. This is my first post here but I come here for a while. I just want to ask a question because I'm planning to start a cut in the next weeks:

Last year during the cutting phase I felt extremely lethargic during the day. I was in a cycling keto diet and I understand that was the effect of the low carb days. The point is that I drive all day (work) and despite of trying to use caffeine to stop lethargy I had no success with it. I felt that lethargy, probably due to decrease of BMR, was killing my cutting and giving me a hard time.

Well, is there a supplement to fight this effect (beside of stims that I find in the past that don't work much)? Can a test booster help with this or a supplement to increase neurotransmitters??

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
You said stims don't work much, but I am curious if you have tried DMAA (as found in Jack3d, etc). I know everybody responds differently, but that stuff is so damned powerful; was wondering if you tried it.

I would also look into Yohimbine HCL...but tread carefully and start slowly.

I feel your pain regarding the keto diet. Tried it once, and never again. Not for me.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
A decrease of BMR did not cause lethargy. How many weeks did you diet? What did your cals/macros look like?

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established
I find my energy is BETTER on a low carb diet. While training, however, I kept it very heavy and very brief. Anything over 8 reps and I was winded...and HIIT was a no go! So if you find you a very lethargic....why suffer? Maybe find a different protocol...

murk01

murk01

Awards
whats good. i did a low carb. besides fruits and veg, in moderation. no sugar. and high protein. exellent results , cut a ton of fat. i allso use animal cuts. never had low energy. actually. more energy and power. lefted heavier also.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eat more.. Problem solved

Also add in some EVCO to the diet

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you are going to cut carbs or at least most of your carbs you simply need to eat more of what you are allowing yourself to eat.

murk01

murk01

Awards
yes. and dont got atkins. just cut starch, sugar and the bs between. an apple has close to 30 gm carbs. but ok to eat once or twice a day.
what program are u following.

get advant-edge rtd for meal replacment.

J19891

J19891

Awards
Hello everyone. This is my first post here but I come here for a while. I just want to ask a question because I'm planning to start a cut in the next weeks:

Last year during the cutting phase I felt extremely lethargic during the day. I was in a cycling keto diet and I understand that was the effect of the low carb days. The point is that I drive all day (work) and despite of trying to use caffeine to stop lethargy I had no success with it. I felt that lethargy, probably due to decrease of BMR, was killing my cutting and giving me a hard time.

Well, is there a supplement to fight this effect (beside of stims that I find in the past that don't work much)? Can a test booster help with this or a supplement to increase neurotransmitters??
Idk how effective it would be in fighting off lethargy, but I loves me some piracetam. How long were you in your cutting phase for? I had a similar problem transitioning to low carb, but after a few weeks I actually noticed I had a more even level of energy throughout the day.

Kekkuk

Kekkuk

Awards
Yeah. The body will get more acclimated to low carbs as time passes.

amarula

Awards
A decrease of BMR did not cause lethargy. How many weeks did you diet? What did your cals/macros look like?[/QUOTE

Well, my diet lasted about 3 months but I didn't cut all carbs at once. First 2 weeks no carbs at night. Next 2 weeks no carbs after 16h...and so on. 5 days cutting carbs 2 days on. By my calculations I was between 300-600 cals below, about 2g/kg of protein. My training protocol was HIIT along with some aerobic work and lifting 10-12 reps for about 45-50 minutes.

Maybe I should consume more protein and fats...

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
A decrease of BMR did not cause lethargy. How many weeks did you diet? What did your cals/macros look like?[/QUOTE

Well, my diet lasted about 3 months but I didn't cut all carbs at once. First 2 weeks no carbs at night. Next 2 weeks no carbs after 16h...and so on. 5 days cutting carbs 2 days on. By my calculations I was between 300-600 cals below, about 2g/kg of protein. My training protocol was HIIT along with some aerobic work and lifting 10-12 reps for about 45-50 minutes.

Maybe I should consume more protein and fats...
Carb timing is irrelevant. There is even research showing carbs at night is more beneficial than carbs in the day. Protein intake is good. However, it can be tough to maintain HIIT (a glycogen-depleting activity) alongside high rep weight training while on low carbs. I suggest lifting heavier weight for 5-8 reps and either upping your carb intake or replacing HIIT with MISS.

amarula

Awards
First thank you all for the help.

I was not timing my carb intake. Just reducing carbs slowly. I'll try this time to use another rep protocol as I feel that will help maintain mass as well. I'll increase healthy fats intake in the morning also, to help with energy levels
What is MISS?

th3futur3

Awards
  • Established

I was not timing my carb intake. Just reducing carbs slowly. I'll try this time to use another rep protocol as I feel that will help maintain mass as well. I'll increase healthy fats intake in the morning also, to help with energy levels
What is MISS?
I agree with coop on the new studies showing carb intake, at night, is beneficial. For me...eating protein/fats throughout the day with a high carb meal before bed has done this...curb cravings throughout the day/helped sleep/and I firmly believe intaking carbs before bed allows greater nutrient absorption. It's almost like a free/natural nutrient partitioner. Sounds silly but when I eat carbs before bed...I wake up feeling they all went where they needed to go. You could even dose something like Hemavol before that meal!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

What is MISS?
Medium Intensity Steady State. HIIT is glycogen-depleting. Since glycogen seems to be at a premium for someone with your diet, you simply cannot hope to engage in high rep weight training + HIIT.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I would suggest carb cycling with a majority of them coming from fruits and veggies