Protein Question & other supp advice

joshv155

Awards
So I have been trying to get in shape for the past 8 months after being pretty lazy.

i'm 32 years old, 6-3 and started at about 265 - 270 pounds. I have gone through the P90x series about 3 times now and that has been the basis of my training. I am going to go get a gym membership today because I want to start using heavier weights instead of mostly body weight.

I am currently 237 pounds. I never have checked my body fat % and am not sure how. I have seen great strength gains and lean muscle gains but still have a good layer of fat over everything...and seem to have hit a wall with my training. My gains are not moving much and that was one of the reasons I want to get into the gym.

My question is on protein and other supplements. Here is what I have been using:

Optimum Gold Standard Whey (2 scoops when I get up, 2 before my AM workout and then 2 in the afternoon)
Animal Pak (take this after I work out. Is there a better time ?)
Xtend (before, during and after workouts.)
Smart Blend Fish oils (2 with morning protein shake)
Jackd 3d (before workout...about a scoop and a 1/2)

My question on protein. I see optimum has several proteins and got a "Complete Guide to Protein" by Optimum handout when I was getting a MRP at a local place. It says that platinum hydrowhey is better than what I am taking for pre & post workout and then the Pro Complex is better for pre workout and in between meals than what I am taking. Do folks buy 2-3 different types of protein and take them certain times of the day ? I find that I am still really hungry after my workouts when taking the Standard Whey. Would taking the hydrowhey be better and help with this.

My basic day is 3-4 protein shakes and a MRP shake (has 600 calories and 56 grams of protein). I snack on cashews and stuff like that throughout the day but feel like maybe I am not eating enough ?

My goal is to lose fat and gain lean muscle....not so worried about bulking up currently. Would like to see the muscle that I have been working on for awhile now...

Any suggestions on my supplement plan ? What should I add, take away ? Should I add these other proteins ? I can afford them....

A guy I work with also suggested I look at Cyclo Bolan for a testosterone booster. I was looking it over. Haven't done enough research to go buy it yet. Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
IMO the benefits on whey hydrolysate (ON hydrowhey) over whey isolate (ON gold standard) are so marginal its not worth the price tag unless you are rich or a professional bodybuilder. I have seen the ''Complete protein guide'' by ON and IMO its just another marketing tactic they are using to get people buy a bunch of their stuff. IMO the only proteins worth buying are whey isolate & concentrate, casein and protein blends (assuming its a good blend ofc) for ex. Myofusion.

Hydrowhey will not help making you feel any fuller, in fact it should make you feel even more hungry (assuming you are taking the same amount as you are taking whey isolate). The best protein in fight against hunger is definitely casein, but I wouldn't recommend that you take it post workout.

Your supplement you are using now are nice and basic, I would recommend that you buy some creatine. There are many different forms & blends but creatine monohydrate is the most studied and proven and its also the cheapest, creapure is the best creatine monohydrate out there.

The variation of supplements you could use is endless. Try different supplements and see what works the best for you. I like how you are keeping it basic tho, IMO too many people use huge stacks of supplements without knowing what they do / how to get everything out of them and wasting a lot of money.

I can't comment on Cyclo Bolan since I have never used it but I can tell you IMO some of the best natural T boosters out there are; DAA, BPS Endosurge, iForce Intimidate, DS Triazole and Activate Xtreme, PES Erase or Erase Pro.

D2footballjrc

D2footballjrc

Awards
Just for your record as I was always curious here is the what each pill in the animal pak is:

animal-pak-pills.jpg

If you get the animal pump vitamins take the red pill out if you are going to be taking jack3d, no reason to have that much stims :)

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
IMO the benefits on whey hydrolysate (ON hydrowhey) over whey isolate (ON gold standard) are so marginal its not worth the price tag unless you are rich or a professional bodybuilder. I have seen the ''Complete protein guide'' by ON and IMO its just another marketing tactic they are using to get people buy a bunch of their stuff. IMO the only proteins worth buying are whey isolate & concentrate, casein and protein blends (assuming its a good blend ofc) for ex. Myofusion.

Hydrowhey will not help making you feel any fuller, in fact it should make you feel even more hungry (assuming you are taking the same amount as you are taking whey isolate). The best protein in fight against hunger is definitely casein, but I wouldn't recommend that you take it post workout.

Your supplement you are using now are nice and basic, I would recommend that you buy some creatine. There are many different forms & blends but creatine monohydrate is the most studied and proven and its also the cheapest, creapure is the best creatine monohydrate out there.

The variation of supplements you could use is endless. Try different supplements and see what works the best for you. I like how you are keeping it basic tho, IMO too many people use huge stacks of supplements without knowing what they do / how to get everything out of them and wasting a lot of money.

I can't comment on Cyclo Bolan since I have never used it but I can tell you IMO some of the best natural T boosters out there are; DAA, BPS Endosurge, iForce Intimidate, DS Triazole and Activate Xtreme, PES Erase or Erase Pro.
Thanks! DAA is truly one of the better test boosters out there. Cheap yet simple and effective.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Are you just drinking shakes rather then eating meals? Looks like what your post says,

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
First off couple things...
I would try and get more food. One of my all time favorite proteins is syntha-6 by BSN. 1 scoop is 22g protein and 200 Cals about 6g of fat and 15g of carbs, make it 2 scoops and it can be a solid MRP. I only use that powder and at most have 4 scoops a day usually twice a day. I don't think u need multiple proteins just a solid blend.

The animal pak vitamins are 1 of my favorite multis, in the vitamins there shouldn't be a red pill though, if it is something is wrong or you brought the wrong thing. ;)

Another protein to look & try and find is myofusion the carbs/cals are a bit lower.

A scoop and a half of jacked? I do enjoy that PWO a lot, next time you're in the market take a look at Muscle Marinade it's very complete with creatine, BCAAs, & a good amount of stims and you shouldn't need more than 1 scoop.

Hope this all helps.

joshv155

Awards
Are you just drinking shakes rather then eating meals? Looks like what your post says,
On days that I work (Sunday thru Tuesday and every other Saturday) I take a shake when I wake up (4:30 am). I usually work out between 9am - 10:30am...just depends on how busy work is.) I take another shake about 30 - 40 mins before working out. Take jackd3d about 15 minutes before working out.

Take Xtend before and during workouts and then throughout the day. I do about 2 -3 scoops a day.

Then about 2 pm or so I go get a MRP shake. Has 56 grams of protein and about 600 calories.

Then I have a small meal when i get home around 7pm (depends on what my wife makes...but I need to probably get better at what I eat here.)

Usually I don't have enough time on my work days to make food. Just to exhausted by the time I get home and all there is to eat is fast food a so I just take shakes most of the time and a MRP. Is that bad ? I have been wondering if that is not the best thing to do.

My biggest thing has been not being able to consistently work out on my days off. I go real hard the days I am at work but it seriously lags my other days. I just went and got a gym membership yesterday to work out on my days off. I just can't stand working out in my living room (p90x)...

I have not looked into the test boosters that were mentioned but will do research on them and see what is best. Also thanks everyone for the advice on the protein and the differences.

I have Casein protein at home but haven't been taking it regularly because it would upset my stomach but will get back to it and see if after taking it for a few weeks it gets better. Thats how it was with the regular protein as well.

joshv155

Awards
First off couple things...
I would try and get more food. One of my all time favorite proteins is syntha-6 by BSN. 1 scoop is 22g protein and 200 Cals about 6g of fat and 15g of carbs, make it 2 scoops and it can be a solid MRP. I only use that powder and at most have 4 scoops a day usually twice a day. I don't think u need multiple proteins just a solid blend.

The animal pak vitamins are 1 of my favorite multis, in the vitamins there shouldn't be a red pill though, if it is something is wrong or you brought the wrong thing. ;)

Another protein to look & try and find is myofusion the carbs/cals are a bit lower.

A scoop and a half of jacked? I do enjoy that PWO a lot, next time you're in the market take a look at Muscle Marinade it's very complete with creatine, BCAAs, & a good amount of stims and you shouldn't need more than 1 scoop.

Hope this all helps.
I take a scoop and a half of jacked cause in the AM sometimes I have trouble getting going. Usually cause of my work schedule I don't get more than 6 hours of sleep so I am dragging but I don't want a 1/2 assed workout so I take a little more. I will look into the Muscle Marinade. Never heard of it. Thanks. And I agree that I need more food.....gonna go shopping. Maybe try and make my food for a week on my off days ? I dunno...but I need to do something different.

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
I would definetely try to eat more whole foods. I usually take Sunday night to make a few chicken breasts, veggies, rice, etc for the week. This way I have planned healthy meals and don't resort to missing meals, or bad food. Trust me im extemely busy with work and a 2 year old, just have to plan ahead.Protein powder has its place but it's a supplement, and shouldn't replace real food. Using powders to fill in between meals, pre/post workout, etc is fine, but I would definetely try to eat more.

joshv155

Awards
Question: I thought Jackd 3d had creatine in it. Is it okay to take another creatine as well ? Or is the amount in Jackd really small ?

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Question: I thought Jackd 3d had creatine in it. Is it okay to take another creatine as well ? Or is the amount in Jackd really small ?
You can add creatine.

J19891

J19891

Awards
So I have been trying to get in shape for the past 8 months after being pretty lazy.

i'm 32 years old, 6-3 and started at about 265 - 270 pounds. I have gone through the P90x series about 3 times now and that has been the basis of my training. I am going to go get a gym membership today because I want to start using heavier weights instead of mostly body weight.

I am currently 237 pounds. I never have checked my body fat % and am not sure how. I have seen great strength gains and lean muscle gains but still have a good layer of fat over everything...and seem to have hit a wall with my training. My gains are not moving much and that was one of the reasons I want to get into the gym.

My question is on protein and other supplements. Here is what I have been using:

Optimum Gold Standard Whey (2 scoops when I get up, 2 before my AM workout and then 2 in the afternoon)
Animal Pak (take this after I work out. Is there a better time ?)
Xtend (before, during and after workouts.)
Smart Blend Fish oils (2 with morning protein shake)
Jackd 3d (before workout...about a scoop and a 1/2)

My question on protein. I see optimum has several proteins and got a "Complete Guide to Protein" by Optimum handout when I was getting a MRP at a local place. It says that platinum hydrowhey is better than what I am taking for pre & post workout and then the Pro Complex is better for pre workout and in between meals than what I am taking. Do folks buy 2-3 different types of protein and take them certain times of the day ? I find that I am still really hungry after my workouts when taking the Standard Whey. Would taking the hydrowhey be better and help with this.

My basic day is 3-4 protein shakes and a MRP shake (has 600 calories and 56 grams of protein). I snack on cashews and stuff like that throughout the day but feel like maybe I am not eating enough ?

My goal is to lose fat and gain lean muscle....not so worried about bulking up currently. Would like to see the muscle that I have been working on for awhile now...

Any suggestions on my supplement plan ? What should I add, take away ? Should I add these other proteins ? I can afford them....

A guy I work with also suggested I look at Cyclo Bolan for a testosterone booster. I was looking it over. Haven't done enough research to go buy it yet. Any thoughts ?

Thanks.
As far as fat loss goes, I've had my best results with shift and a good carb cycling diet (you'll need to google this). If you've hit a wall in your training, don't get discouraged. Gains always come rapidly at first, then slow to a tedious grind. Keep grinding.

Jonbero

Jonbero

Awards
Yes IMO you should add creatine, Jack3d has a proprietary blend so its impossible for me to say how much creatine is in it but looking at the blend I'm guessing its around 1 - 2g

Some good options would be Athletic Xtreme German Creatine or for a good creatine blend Muscle Pharm Creatine

From what you wrote I got the impression that you eat only 1 real meal a day? (correct me if I'm wrong) And that's not enough to be honest. MRP drinks are fine but you still should eat at least 3 whole food meals a day. I know it may be hard if you are very busy but its possible, cook your meals the night before and store them in tupperware containers so you can easily take them to work.

You are also trying to cut some bodyfat am I right? In weight loss diet plays the biggest part. Your diet should be somewhere around 300 - 500 calories under your maintenance calorie level and you should perform high intensity exercise AT LEAST 3 times a week . After your diet and training are in check, you can look into some fatburners if you want but its not necessary. I have tried Alpha T-2 and OxyElite Pro stack with great success and I would recommend it. iForce Dexaprine also looks like a good one.