Should I take Glutamine Supplements?

Benjamin1

Awards
Hello all,

Is Glutamine supplements worth it?

Rog336

Awards
I use it. I think I recover better with it. I use about 10 grams in my post-workout shake.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Could u elaborate
I usually don't mind elaborating but the evidence against glutamine's [purported] effects on bodybuilding is so overwhelming that I encourage you to conduct your own quick research :).

I'll point you in the right direction though:

-Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

-Glutamine: the nonessential amino acid for performance enhancement.

-Addition of glutamine to essential amino acids and carbohydrate does not enhance anabolism in young human males following exercise.

-The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance.

-Facts and fallacies of purported ergogenic amino acid supplements

-Exercise-induced immunodepression- plasma glutamine is not the link.

-Glutamine supplementation did not benefit athletes during short-term weight reduction

^^All titles of peer-reviewed, methodologically sound/relevant studies for your viewing pleasure.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Cliffs: glutamine wont help you with recovery unless you are a marathon runner or extreme endurance athlete or burn victim.

Glutamine may help with immune system, GI benefits.

Ligmenos

Ligmenos

Awards
So then should I take bcaas??
if you have enough protein around work out i dont think its necessary to use bcaa..... but if you have the money add them....

just dont use glutammine....worthless like mr.cooper said above... ;)

edit: @mr.cooper.... you are faster...:cheers:

Ligmenos

Ligmenos

Awards
I haven't taken Glutamine sine the 90's. You think it could help with IBS symptoms?.
i think its only a theory that can help with IBS.... but i'm not sure.... better wit for respond from one more expert than me...

hugry4more

hugry4more

Awards
  • Established
I haven't taken Glutamine sine the 90's. You think it could help with IBS symptoms?.
I just started juicing once a day I highly recommend it. Your problems will be solve ;)